PDA

View Full Version : Sony Reveals More WipE'0ut" HD Details..

Piranha5p33d5
19th September 2007, 07:40 PM
Courtesy of PALGN (http://www.palgn.com.au/article.php?id=8864&title=New+Wipeout+HD+details). New screenshots included within.

Even though i'm still not planning to purchase a Playstation 3 until a radical price drop (so.. in around 2 - 3 years time), the feature that has me excited about W'0" HD is the SIXAXIS control. Im sure Sony would love to replicate the advanced craft control that only the NegCon can truly provide. This also brings to mind soundtracks. Would revised onscreen tracks also mean revised auditory tracks?

BaldyCurly
27th September 2007, 09:12 AM
More details / screens here people!

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=615

Egg
27th September 2007, 11:09 AM
Gaaah! Those screens again ... before anyone else says anything :

Wrong >> http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/JonEggelton/WHD_wrong.jpg

Right >> http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/JonEggelton/WHD_right.jpg

Yes. The internet is an idiot.

Sausehuhn
27th September 2007, 11:13 AM
wuuuaaah.
Even before I clicked the links I knew you were referring to the 4:3 and 16:9 thingie. But hey, at least I was hoping to get an HD 16:9 :(

;)

Egg
27th September 2007, 11:24 AM
My bad. Dunno how that happened ... I'll edit the 'right' jpg for ya.

Egg
27th September 2007, 11:27 AM
OK ... here it is:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/JonEggelton/WHD_right-1.jpg

Sausehuhn
27th September 2007, 11:29 AM
Did I say that I love the way the Icaras billboard is made? With these pixel-squares. Just like in real live :)

Alex_Se
27th September 2007, 01:22 PM
The SIXAXIS control system looks pretty usefull. :g
I also wish i had a HD TV.

rdmx
27th September 2007, 02:37 PM
Ah I see the lighting effects coming in here!
HDR for everyone!

Rapier Racer
27th September 2007, 07:33 PM
Well I have 2 games which allow you to use the tilt control feature, Motorstorm and NASCAR 08 and if I had to judge the motion sensing system based on these games I would have to call it a load of useless unresponsive crap. Maybe its just those developers because the EA game is worse nevertheless I hope you can it off.

DawnFireDragoon
28th September 2007, 11:11 PM
does anyone know id sixaxis will be optional?
i really don't like all this motion sensing stuff (though i see why some do and how it works well with some games...the wii proves that) but it would be nice for an option to play with regular controls.

mclarensmps
28th September 2007, 11:56 PM
There is no reason why it shouldn't be optional.

In F1 it is optional, so I am guessing it is the same for WOHD

zargz
29th September 2007, 11:27 AM
yeh, that was so stupid with wo64 - only could play with the !"#ยค% stick.
I bought the game, good thing my kid-bro had the N64 so i didn't end up buying that too, for Nothing! :mad:
played the game couple of days then couldn't be @r$3d. now it's collecting dust on a shelf somewhere here...
if sixaxis is not optional I won't bother buying wohd :mr-t

Medusa
29th September 2007, 02:33 PM
I don't know yet what to think about SIXAXIS - I know there's a lot of dismal reviews, yet yesterday I read one review of Lair (boring game apparently...) and the guy was raving about the great control. Problem is that there's probably enough time when you're flying dragons to think about your control, and in Wipeout there's hardly enough time to think about the track nevermind how you're steering.:rolleyes:
Guess I can't have an opinion until I try it well myself.

Mad-Ice
29th September 2007, 04:45 PM
At zargz: Wipeout 64 can be played with an ASCII controller which is a steering wheel. I just found one the other day. It's incredible good it has even got two buttons on the wheel for airbrakes!!! Very cool, I have to find some more time to really do something with the 64.

There is even an official motion controllerpack for N64 controller. It is working exactly like sixaxis. However I couldn't let it work on Wipeout64.

Sixaxis for HD, I don't know about it. I can't believe it will work like a NeGcon, I mean immediate response.

Rapier Racer
29th September 2007, 06:17 PM
Another thing I heard was that the first wave of SIXAXISeseses are not as good as the ones currently being made earlier ones are less responsive apparently, I won't find out about that until next year when they release the DUALSHOCK 3. I can't wait for that rumble returns and the pad will have some nice weight to it once more, SIXAXIS is too light for my liking also feels cheap.

Chill
30th September 2007, 03:08 AM
I can't wait for that rumble returns and the pad will have some nice weight to it once more, SIXAXIS is too light for my liking also feels cheap.

I hate light Playstation pads as well... a counterweight if not a Dual-shock should be their... the weight is needed, for if it were light, I would get pissed off, and have no weight to subside my anger, and I would throw and crush the pad hundreds of times over~!!! ;)

mclarensmps
1st October 2007, 05:13 AM
Another thing I heard was that the first wave of SIXAXISeseses are not as good as the ones currently being made
/quote

I can attest to that, my new sixaxis is in a completely different league than from the one that shipped with the ps3. That one actually stops responding for a few seconds every few days while in the middle of a game. The new one doesn't and feels more urgent.

BulletWraith
1st October 2007, 02:55 PM
an alternative to the neGcon for the PS3 could be the Fanatec Speedster, I've been looking everywhere in NZ for one but to no avail, not that I know if it's any good but it looks promising

anyone tired this thing out yet?!
fanatec Speedster (http://www.fanatec.com/) sorry you'll have to click on products then select 'Speedster Controller'
maybe someone's tired it and can give some feedback, I think it's out in the UK

I hate light Playstation pads as well... a counterweight if not a Dual-shock should be their... the weight is needed, for if it were light, I would get pissed off, and have no weight to subside my anger, and I would throw and crush the pad hundreds of times over~!!! ;)

hmm weight issue's, You could just open one up and drop a round fishing weight into the end of each handle, add a drop of hot glue and their you go problem solved

hadn't thought about it before but it seems like the obvious/easiest thing to do

thunder and joy
Stevie

lunar
1st October 2007, 03:10 PM
:o that controller looks amazing. Could be the beginning of a new love affair, or a complete disaster. They`re 40 quid on amazon or 60 euros straight from the manufacturer. I have nothing to play it on, so don`t exactly need it, but for Wipeout HD it could be an idea, nice find.

Medusa
1st October 2007, 09:47 PM
Wow. That looks amazing!! In fact it may even deserve its own thread...:p
It is not available in N. America yet, apparently. :( Someone has got to try this thing out! Can you imagine testing it out on Fusion zone mode - that ought to be a good trial to see if it would handle WO HD. Although you never know, by the time HD comes out maybe it'll be incompatible with the PS3. Those Sony updates could be deadly.

Chill
2nd October 2007, 06:56 AM
hmm weight issue's, You could just open one up and drop a round fishing weight into the end of each handle, add a drop of hot glue and their you go problem solved

hadn't thought about it before but it seems like the obvious/easiest thing to do

True, but that still would look too tacky, have no style, and friends would think (WTF, what a retard). ;)

BulletWraith
2nd October 2007, 07:35 AM
yeh I have the same problem with all my friends coming over and opening up my controllers to see what the insides look like, some people eh:nod ;)

Churrr
-Stevie

mdhay
5th October 2007, 11:41 AM
Well I have 2 games which allow you to use the tilt control feature, Motorstorm and NASCAR 08...

...I would have to call it a load of useless unresponsive crap...

You also have resistance, that uses sixaxis, to shake off arc charges, air fuels fire, Menials, Howlers and Crawlers.

Just thought I'd say that.(Please dont kill me.)

Rapier Racer
5th October 2007, 12:58 PM
I played it lots and lots and lots, I didn't know it used to motion sensing at all! I'll have to give it a shot. Not the same though you need pin point accuracy for Wipeout.

Medusa
5th October 2007, 01:43 PM
(Please dont kill me.)

LOL, thanks to Kai you now are the official assassin pilot of Wipeout, Rapier Racer. Your reputation will always precede you.:p

Frances_Penfold
1st November 2007, 04:26 PM
Not really a *feature* but, for what it is worth, there is reason to believe that Wipeout HD is now a 2008 release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204570

Roz
2nd November 2007, 10:33 AM
No problem for me. It's even better actually. That way, while I wait for the money, I play Pulse :]

Chill
3rd November 2007, 02:40 AM
Pulse maintains your pulse from rising too high waiting for HD... :p

blackwiggle
9th November 2007, 02:48 PM
To get the best out of wipeout HD we really need to be able to adjust the front/nose with a degree of slant.
This needs to be available to all players...Especially if playing ONLINE.
I think the implementation of Sixaxias controllers is going to be the "Make or Break" situation regarding how well this game is played or how many copies are sold.

Sausehuhn
18th November 2007, 07:45 PM
New detail:
release in January 2008.

Now lets see if it changes again ;)

hoipexn
25th November 2007, 01:25 PM
New detail:
release in May 2008

WipEout HD will be a full game with loads of add-on packs etc.
Sony/ Studio Liverpool are working really hard, as the latest releasedate should be the final.

I'm really looking forward to it! Until then we can play Pulse!!! :D

Sausehuhn
25th November 2007, 02:19 PM
May '08?
Oh well...

:frown:

As far as we get the most out of I can at least accept that ;)

Mad-Ice
26th November 2007, 10:50 AM
More time for me to save up for a PS3 and more time to master Pulse and enjoy it to the fullest!!!!

Asayyeah
26th November 2007, 09:16 PM
Amen Matthijs :)

Rapier Racer
26th November 2007, 09:28 PM
New detail:
release in May 2008

Aww raspberries! *And other less tasteful obscenities here* :brickwall

EDIT: http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item75516/WipEout%E2%84%A2-HD/

Just noticed that on playstation.com. Maybe a bit slow eh.

miufs
25th December 2007, 09:14 PM
Any indication on how big the game will be in terms of MB? Will it be more than 1GB? :)

Rapier Racer
25th December 2007, 09:46 PM
I've downloaded demos that are 1GB in size...

miufs
25th December 2007, 09:47 PM
I've downloaded demos that are 1GB in size...

Yep, thats true.

Ratchet, Stranglehold, PES...

I would bet 1.5GB for WO HD. :)

Assimilator
31st December 2007, 11:02 PM
New detail:
release in May 2008

WipEout HD will be a full game with loads of add-on packs etc.
Sony/ Studio Liverpool are working really hard, as the latest releasedate should be the final.

I'm really looking forward to it! Until then we can play Pulse!!! :D

but I thought "Wipeout ps3" was going to be the full game or are they dumping this title and bridging the gap?

is there a link to the source of this infomation

all preview articles found via google and wiki points to a playstation store exclusive with a release date of late december. Please dont tell me I bought my PS3 5 months early. There could be another console price drop between now and then.

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 04:30 PM
Two page HD article in Official Playstation Mag this month including a small interview with Tony Buckley. A little misleading as the person writing the article states "Wipeout HD is essentially a best of package that includes re workings of the most popular tracks from ALL THE PREVIOUS GAMES" So if I said that to you what would you assume? Because I didn't realize tracks from Wipeout 3 were in contention for this game.

Gare d'Europa please.

Seek100
3rd January 2008, 01:47 AM
Given that that same feature led you to believe the models would be reused from Pulse, I put less than zero stock in what OPM says. Actually I've considered them rather poorly for a long time (roughly since they slagged off the last LoK game).

We've not had any rumours of the older games being included in HD, and the screens released so far are all of Pure and Pulse tracks...

If I were to be optimistic then I'd be hoping for Spilskinanke over Gare d'Europa, (those are my top 2 from 2097). I rather doubt we'll see either though. :(

Rapier Racer
3rd January 2008, 05:08 PM
I don't know what keeps compelling me to buy that mag, I'm a sucker for official stuff I guess, it also says Triakis is Australian ( I mentioned before I think) and that the Assegai team had no noticeable weakness, oh is that right lol.

CR4SH3D
7th January 2008, 01:21 AM
i thought it was definet that old tracks would be remodeled?

//rapier racer
edge is the best games mag, even if its not platform specific

GTAce
22nd January 2008, 07:49 PM
Didnt want to create a new thread for this:

WipEout HD looks STUNNING
Tuesday 22-Jan-2008 12:45 PM Ten new screens put previous shots to shame
24 Comments
We thought WipEout HD looked decent enough when we posted the first shots of an early preview version, but these new shots show the game has come on in leaps and bounds.

Advertisement:
The textures have more... texture, and the lighting has been massively improved by the looks of it.

Hopefully all these improvements won't come at the expense of the luscious 60fps smoothness in the demo we have here.

You can see videos of that in action (and in comparison to our old favourite, WipEout 2097)
in an earlier feature.

We're also hoping the handling has seen as much attention as the visuals, because we thought it was far too tight to be a believable hovering ship. 2097 had the handling spot on - why change it?

Mike Jackson computerandvideogames.comhttp://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180122

Sounds and looks promising. 8 )

cybrpnk
24th January 2008, 02:55 AM
o dear...couldn't control myself...wet my pants...

SL!!! when can we get a release date pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease...I am hungry for some big screen anti-gravity action...

btw...off-topic...anyone checked out Little Big Planet??? Looks like helluva fun...

Chill
24th January 2008, 05:47 AM
LOL... I don't know what they're talking about... The earlier screens look just as badass to me...

OFF TOPIC: As for Little Big Planet, that does look like some serious fun... just another plus for when I get the system (including an HDTV) for HD down the road... mabye a little later than release, but whatever... ;) The new generation of game consoles may not be too good for my health... I'm probably going to turn into a vampire-hermit!!!

infoxicated
24th January 2008, 08:05 AM
Those screens are, in fact, a little old - believe it or not.

It looks a bit better than that now - especially with regard to the ships. We have the guys that did the cars for F1 Championship Edition building the ships for HD (Egg took one look at the sheer amount of polygons he could use and ran away screaming. Probably. ;)), and they're looking tremendously good. :)

Dogg Thang
24th January 2008, 08:19 AM
Egg's not doing the ships? I would have thought he'd love to have been able to free himself from the restrictions of the PSP. Although I guess they're basing the new ships on his Pure and Pulse designs?

EddieE
24th January 2008, 09:39 PM
I have to say HD looks tremendous, but have to agree with the guys at computerandvideogames.com .
XL/2097 was superb in every way, getting rid of the male voice for both race starter and weapons announcer was a big let down when i got wip3out. The race starter in the HD vids is also a disappointment. More of a robot sound would be better in my opinion.

Ive been away from the wipeout scene for a few years but just got back into it.
Not sure if in the subsequent releases after wipeout3 there was the ability to go up and around the inside of tunnel walls going through in a helix path type of thing, would be pretty good.
Anyway, after all that HD still looks hot and Im really looking forward to it.

jmoid
24th January 2008, 11:44 PM
I agree, the Amiga-voice and weapon-warnings were great.

The change in handling fron 2097/XL was a disappointment for me when I finally got Wipeout 64, seemed like it was made too easy... but then maybe the designers got some feedback to say 2097's handling was too tough? I know some of my friends said so at the time.

Anyway, back on topic: Wipeout HD. WANT! NOW, PLEASE! IMMEDIATELY! That's all, thank you.

GTAce
25th January 2008, 12:31 AM
Those screens are, in fact, a little old - believe it or not.

It looks a bit better than that now - especially with regard to the ships. We have the guys that did the cars for F1 Championship Edition building the ships for HD (Egg took one look at the sheer amount of polygons he could use and ran away screaming. Probably. ;)), and they're looking tremendously good. :)
Stupid question:
I havent heard of that, with the guys from the F1 team (btw. really good game), is this a known info?
Because if not can i share it on other forums (of course with link to the post).

Very interesting stuff....

Chill
25th January 2008, 03:33 AM
Yeah... now that I look at it, your right rob... their is a good improvement... especially with lighting effects and everything that lies off at a distance...

Very glad that they got F1 guys to help out with it!! That game did look really really good... something I always wanted for Wipeout to have, and it DOES!!!! YES!!

eLhabib
26th January 2008, 12:38 PM
I'm really eager to see the game in action after these last screenshots - 60fps, 1080p. Man, I was blown away by the GC demo back in summer, but if you compare the screens, that looked like SH*T in comparison to what we have now! Please, SL, give us some footage! (I'm holding my breath)

Assimilator
26th January 2008, 09:42 PM
the least they could do is put up a video demo in the store or even a playable one track demo like gt hd

nakamura
26th January 2008, 09:51 PM
I agree, the Amiga-voice and weapon-warnings were great.

The change in handling fron 2097/XL was a disappointment for me when I finally got Wipeout 64, seemed like it was made too easy... .

Spot on on both counts.:clap

Does anyone have any idea if Wipeout HD is HD only? I heard a few old 360 titles were on HD and didnt work on normal TVs.

Ash-Omen
14th February 2008, 06:38 PM
new stunning screenshots just incase no1's seen em, the level of detail on the tracks is just amazing

http://i16.tinypic.com/89irqyc.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/6kk7wyf.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/6pyjbdg.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/71hhno7.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/8e0az3o.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/71x4g9z.jpg
http://i4.tinypic.com/6ntp5pk.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/85k5mia.jpg
http://i19.tinypic.com/7xydbtw.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/82m99hf.jpg

enjoy :g

EDIT : ****! just realized these are on another thread lol oops awell maybe some aint seen em

Medusa
14th February 2008, 08:00 PM
Everytime I think I've convinced myself I will survive if I don't buy a PS3 for HD, someone goes and posts these gorgeous screenshots...dangitallto...

cybrpnk
15th February 2008, 02:49 AM
i'm praying that HD will come out already, or at least we get some kinda preview on it...the lack of news on its development stage is tiring...i virtually check the psn and playstation store everyday to see if there's some kind of video, or if we're lucky, even a demo for HD...

:(

ps...anyone here know if there's some sort of stat tracking for HD online??? as in, is there some kind of level system based on your skills as an anti-gravity pilot...eg...number of wins, number of enemies destroyed, number of missiles deployed, number of escapes fro missiles, number of missiles successfully hit...etc...???

Angryman
19th February 2008, 02:57 PM
Hopefully, now that Wipeout Pulse has been released World Wide, we get some much needed new info on WoHD.
I really do hope they tweak the handling tremendously over Pulse though, its near impossible to keep your ship stable in pulse.