PDA

View Full Version : Karbonis VR - Jack's Hyperlap Attack

Flashback Jack
17th September 2007, 01:20 AM
The Scoop

The hyperlap refers to the fastest possible lap over the distance of a given track. Your aim is to find that point of terminal velocity, lay claim to it and forever anchor your name as uber overlord atop the record listings.

With Wipeout Pure being a couple years old, you will find that the existing records are already sickeningly fast as they are. The main purpose of the attack is to rekindle firey interest in Pure and shift everyone's perspective of what it means to be ultimately fast, all before the imminent release of Wipeout: Pulse.

The Ideal Denizen of the FX300 Hyperlap Underworld

A word of warning. For a lot of people, hotlapping is seriously mundane business. If however you are open to the idea of securing the title of the fastest known racer, running lap after lap to the point of unconscious familiarity, surgeon-level precision or Matrix-calibre clarity, then you are encouraged to participate.

The Tools

The fastest ship you can pick. Invariably this amounts to the Triakis. Phantom class. Single lap only in either Free Play or Time Trial modes. Recommended is Free Play mode.

The Goal

Mad-Ice's unholy 15.90 is the target this time. Let's put the heat on him! HUZZAH!

Modus Operandi

On the way to the goal, discussion of strategy is encouraged. Your immovable conviction alone that you are the fastest man in the known world assures your victory, even if you are apprehensive of revealing your s3cr3ts. Post your progress in the forum of rants, raves and laptimes. Keep 'er on topic though.

- F

Flashback Jack
17th September 2007, 01:27 AM
Perhaps I can encourage more participants to join this time around. Don't be afraid to take on the big boys; if you believe you can beat them, it'll happen.

- F

Medusa
17th September 2007, 02:58 PM
Yes, here I am. Ready to humiliate myself. I'll never make it close but I will try.:sonar

Asayyeah
17th September 2007, 04:24 PM
Karbonis : sweet choice , i like that track much cause it's one of the hardest track from Pure. Count on me soon, but i must reckon 123 Klan needs an answer from me 1st :banzai

Medusa
19th September 2007, 02:17 AM
Well, I gave Karbonis 50 laps yesterday, but Free Play just doesn't seem to agree with me on this track. I think I need the forced 5 lap break of TT to analyze what I'm doing wrong and not get sloppy.:frown:

I am trying hard to tame the Triakis for this one, with its bulk it seems to actually suit the track...not sure how.
So with one BR I am sitting at 18:81 right now. Still trying to maintain a constant line for the landing, then I'll try to throw in that second BR. I notice I can nearly match this time by using two turbos instead, so I can imagine what two turbos and two BR's could do!

What are you sitting at right now Jack?

alterego
19th September 2007, 06:33 AM
Hi Medusa, hi all.

.....only one tip...with this one i break my personal 18 sec barrier with ag sys.... ;) ....

use the turbo on the exit of the first hill after the start.

Read You soon
CdRom

ps Triakis is the best, but on karbonis......mmmmh???

Flashback Jack
19th September 2007, 01:17 PM
What are you sitting at right now Jack?

Part of the analysis of a track is to find the section that your ship loses the most velocity on and minimize it with a boost or barrell roll, if possible. You want to get as many barrell rolls into a track as can be managed. The maximum number of boosts I've found to be possible on this track is two; one at the top of the first hill after the start/finish, coast as far and as cleanly as possible over the flip-flops, barrell roll and land for more speed. It's a nightmare of a track; finding the right spot to boost on the hill is a challenge, to say the least.

I'm at 18.22. The record, 15.90, was set using the Triakis, so keep plugging away with it.

- F

Medusa
19th September 2007, 02:09 PM
Yes, alterego, I wonder about Triakis being best on this...but it seems like the only ship I can pilot on this track without routinely being tossed off the edge.:cold But I will see...that's a very nice time and in AG-SYS!:D:+

BTW I am using the turbo there, I am trying to follow Asa's raceline he describes in the weekly challenge thread. "Trying..."

alterego
19th September 2007, 06:54 PM
Hi Medusa, hi all.

I've an idea...a little one....next time when we'll meet on kai....;)

I've this idea of challenge: two pilot on time trial multiplayer in a sequence of nine races on the same track and same ship.
three times at flash class, three times at rapier and three times at phantom.

i think is an interesting warm up or training for flashback's challenge.....

what do you think about?

Read You Soon
CdRom

Silent
20th September 2007, 06:59 AM
Pfou, after a 70-laps-session last night (at the 70th lap, I begun to cry on my psp x D), I just get a 0.18.96, without any BR (too hard for not lose time after it).

In Phantom, the track is AWESOME !!
A lot of chicanes and very shorts turns at really high speed, it's almost impossible to do a perfect lap with all the bp and br...

I have noticed a very strange thing : sometimes, when you are not under the wall, but at the same height, you can go "through" the wall when the speed is very high (after the turbo or a br), I have gone through the first chicane perhaps 3 or 4 times (the one which is in slope, at the beginning of the lap), and I have gone "through" the wall at the end of the straight line for land on the bp, this section is important because it's normally a place where you lose so much time, because of the short turn.

That's all for the moment :)

Silent
20th September 2007, 04:44 PM
Are double posts allowed ? :x

After another 50-laps-session this evening, I'm now in 0.18.08.
Not very good, I just do one BR, but there's the place for a second, and I don't use my turbo.

Asayyeah
20th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Double post are not allowed if they are following eachothers by less than few hours or if they don't add any new informations.
In your case that is ok , but i would have rather prefered that you edit your previous post : make it for the future ;)

Flashback Jack
21st September 2007, 01:19 PM
Down to 17.07.

Treacherous track, man. It's like row, row, row yer boat.

- F

rdmx
22nd September 2007, 03:29 AM
Gently down the stream...
Merrily, merrily, merrily... CHICANE!
SMASH!

Medusa
22nd September 2007, 02:08 PM
More like,
"row, row, row your boat, down the river Styx!
If you make it to the end it's another lap of hell..."

This track truly highlights Pure's shortcomings with the "wuss wagon". You can be directly over the track, and can see that you'll land on the track, but ZIP! You are snatched out of the air and put back at the top of the hill! GRRR!

I take a break from it, my thumb is killing me...not quite killing me into Styx though.

zargz
22nd September 2007, 06:29 PM
a cop stops a car. the driver: was I driving too fast? cop: no you were flying too low!
may be you were driving too high, medusa? :g

Flashback Jack
22nd September 2007, 10:07 PM
16.92. Finally nailed the boost point on the first hill. Getting a lot more consistent now.

- F

Flashback Jack
25th September 2007, 03:13 PM

They say the Nurburgring is the "Green Hell." Well, with all the River Styx and talk of rowboating, I'd rather apply that designation to this track.

Mmm, cabbage!

- F

Medusa
25th September 2007, 08:14 PM
Very nice, Jack! You remind me that I am slacking on this challenge...good work!

Asayyeah
2nd October 2007, 04:47 PM
16.55 :robot
---
---
16.31 : my new PB
That track is really hard, MAd you really got a great lap on it : congrats !

Asayyeah
3rd October 2007, 08:07 PM
16.17... slowly but surely...

Mad-Ice
4th October 2007, 05:24 AM
Getting closer indeed, I think that's close enough!!!! Well done Arnaud:clap. Now you have to stop, breaking my precious records, you :robot or I'll bring out the :mr-t in me!! Beware!!!

Asayyeah
4th October 2007, 05:10 PM
Lol this is so funny how you react : you seem to be answering like me months ago when i wanted to stop your crazy progression into the table :D.

Roles have changed !

Now i am the challenger
You are the TARGET :p

Flashback Jack
5th October 2007, 06:45 PM
Post up your ghost, my good fellow.

- F

Asayyeah
6th October 2007, 01:21 AM
Mine or Matthijs 'one?

Flashback Jack
7th October 2007, 08:55 PM
Doesn't make a difference; as long as it's faster than mine. Just need a quick pace ship.

- F

Mad-Ice
8th October 2007, 10:11 AM
I didn't have the time because of moving from one house to the other!! No internet connection there yet!!! No psp at work, so it will take a while from my side!!! Good luck cracking 15.90!

At Asa: Somehow it feels good to be the target! It is a strange feeling and I can't place it just yet!!!

Asayyeah
8th October 2007, 04:47 PM
That is your 1st real day into your new house : enjoy it a lot , i know you have a lot of work to do in it : good luck for that mate

Jack : http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=585
it's an old ghost at 16.39 this one may help you a little bit.