PDA

View Full Version : wipeouts

stin
22nd June 2002, 10:14 PM
this is the interesting question for yous has anyone got the full wipeout collection?

if yous don`t mind please reply thanxs

stin

yes i have all the collection!

Hydra XL
22nd June 2002, 10:40 PM
i'm missing wipeout 1(PSX), wipeout 64 (don't hav an N64), wipeout (Saturn), Wipeout (PC), Wipeout XL (PC & Mac), and if Saturn had it (i thought i've heard things, but not positive), Wipeout XL.
I have...
Wipeout XL
Wipeout 3
Wipeout Fusion
everything i got is NTSC. damn Wipeout 3 SE never came to this place. gah.

BTW, any one know if Wipeout 1 for PSX was a greatest hits? I thought it was but now it's really hard to find a new copy, mean while i see greatest hits like ridge racer/rage racer which i would think would be of equal availability. Cause I really want a copy of it.

JABBERJAW
22nd June 2002, 11:08 PM
It numbers in the mid 20's for all the versions. saturn has wipeout xl(japanese) which sometimes shows up on ebay via yamatoku. It also has 2097. I am missing wipeout 64(japanese) and wipeout(japanese) psx. that is it as far as I know

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 11:55 AM
I do have the Japanese Saturn and PS1 versions and a rare and totally sealed Japanese PC version (went out under a different publisher I think)!! Must have sold about 5 copies of that in the end. ;)

Sven
23rd June 2002, 05:26 PM
buy Wipeout 1 for PSX (http://www.us.playstation.com/product_detail/product_detail.jhtml?PRODID=276&CATID=105)...it would seem to be out of stock though. I'll sell you mine though! all it needs is a manual...

I have all the PlayStation NTSC incarnations of the game, no more.

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 05:33 PM
I think I'd want them completely sealed. :) Add them to my collection. I've got all manner of odd little Wipeout things, full sticker collections, record bags, the posters from E3, the original chromalines (sp??) from the printing press for the box covers. All rolled up collecting dust someone in my loft. I'll keep them for old times sake.

Vasudeva
23rd June 2002, 06:09 PM
I've got wipeout for Saturn, 2097, 3 and SE for PlayStation and that's about it... all of them are PAL versions. Other than that no memorabilia, except a compiled file of pictures that appeared in magazines and stuff. It would be cool if small models of the craft existed.

Zoolander, why do you have all those versions, if I may ask?

Peace,
V.

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 06:34 PM
The original Feisar ship was first built by Jim Bowers before the game - just a design he had come up with years before which was gonna be used in a game called Matrix Marauders on the Amiga. Ended up being a stretched Pyramid and a terrible, terrible game. Jim gave the model to me when he left Psygnosis and somehow it vanished off my desk for a Marketing shoot. Next thing I saw was Rob Francis with it in a picture in a magazine. I believe a guy called Darren Douglas looked after it in the meantime. I'm unlikely to get it back but there is a picture of it (with me and Nick Westcott) in the edition of Edge magazine with "Nu-Game Culture" being the theme. Wish I still had it. Great model. Surprised nobody decided to make a kit version of it.

Nick

stin
23rd June 2002, 06:47 PM
wow! can i be your friend?

I`ll do anything for you master :roll:

stin :lol:

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 07:06 PM
:evil: Right then Slaveboy! :evil: - you can start with buying 1 million copies of Quantum Redshift later on this year :lol:

Lance
23rd June 2002, 07:39 PM
purely for appearance reasons, Feisar has always been one of my favourite designs. it's functional, it's clean, it looks like it could really exist, and yet the modest number of polygons required to produce the shape make it easy on the processor. i appreciate this Bower's design.

sometimes, despite reading the credits in the game, we may still not know who to thank for what. in the booklets that come with a game, we probably never will, but on the gamedisc there should be plenty of room to be more specific about it. i'd like to see that.

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 07:50 PM
You're right - but there was also a temporary policy to leave information like that out of certain games just so companies didn't come head-hunting. Didn't stop them though.

There is always a long story behind every game and how it all came about. Nothing just comes out of one person - it's a collaboration of people and ideas and sometimes (all too occasionally judging by the standard of some software), everyone on the team can see the same game in their minds eye and it's a pleasure to make video games. Other times it can be very tough going.

Nick

Lance
23rd June 2002, 09:10 PM
i'm tempted to ask how it's gone for QR. :)
i'm hoping it turns out to be as great as you see it in your mind. things are so rarely allowed by circumstance, and the powers that be, to be expressed as the creators intend.

Nick Burcombe
23rd June 2002, 10:27 PM
QR is going very well indeed. It's hard work for everyone (there's only 9 of us 8) ), but I hope you're pleasently surprised and enthused by the end result. It's been a lot of late nights and long long hours, but hey, that's the videogames business and we're no exception.

We've got some great things to show you I hope you are all entertained for some time to come (those of you with an Xbox anyway ;)). No, it's not Wipeout, but at this point I'd say that's a good thing (Fusion was a let down IMHO and didn't go far enough in its ambition). There's some ace new things in QR and some good bending of rules to be had on the players side. There's enough pure speed (at the top end) to keep you lot happy (LOL!) and a totally different look to it. We're not selling Design House Reputation, we're not selling street cred or lifestyle product. That's all been done before. We're gonna bring you straight forward good ol'fashion gameplay. It looks great and plays great - jobs a good-un. ;)

And for all you Lap Time fans we've already started getting competetive in the office. shaving hundreths here and there and then a couple of days later someone will knock 2 seconds off out of the blue. Great fun. Better get back to work. Just placing and tuning pickups for the weapons :)

Lance
24th June 2002, 12:00 PM
laptimes are cool, but we all know that it's the overall racetime that counts. how could we feel all smug and superior without at least a full second racetime ahead or everyone else. come to think of it, i've not eVer been able to feel that way. but still...

come on now, don't take too much off the laptimes; leave some room for the hotshots to beat them. not as much room as wipeout 3, though :roll:

Nick Burcombe
24th June 2002, 12:23 PM
I know for a fact - we've not found the quickest route around yet.

Overall race times can be a little misleading I think. Weapons play a much greater and more unpredictable role in this.

JABBERJAW
24th June 2002, 09:30 PM
I don't know why I have all the versions, but they all do play somewhat differently that the others, even wipeout xl and 2097 have a different feel to them.

infoxicated
24th June 2002, 10:21 PM
The original Feisar ship was first built by Jim Bowers before the game - just a design he had come up with years before which was gonna be used in a game called Matrix Marauders on the Amiga. Ended up being a stretched Pyramid and a terrible, terrible game. Jim gave the model to me when he left Psygnosis and somehow it vanished off my desk for a Marketing shoot. Next thing I saw was Rob Francis with it in a picture in a magazine. I believe a guy called Darren Douglas looked after it in the meantime. I'm unlikely to get it back but there is a picture of it (with me and Nick Westcott) in the edition of Edge magazine with "Nu-Game Culture" being the theme. Wish I still had it. Great model. Surprised nobody decided to make a kit version of it.

Nick - somehow I missed this post before now!

The model Feisar sits on the desk of Garvin Corbett - he was lead artist for Wipeout Fusion and has taken great care of it. He's pretty keen on the idea of some model maker taking up the model for a production kit... although it will probably never happen. :)

FoxZero
25th June 2002, 02:58 AM
has anyone got the full wipeout collection?
well, i have

wipeout psx ntsc
wipeout pc
wipeout xl psx ntsc
wipeout xl pc
wipeout 64 n64 ntsc
wipeout 3 psx ntsc
wipeout fusion ps2 ntsc

which is 3 games away from everything if you dont count the pal and japanese things. i dont have a saturn or the wipeout for that system, or the macintosh version of xl, or 3se as i only have ntsc psx with no mod chip or anything.

oh yeah, the feisar ship design has always been awesome but i also love the millenium falcon-style split some of the ships took on after xl.

Nick Burcombe
25th June 2002, 10:27 AM
Infoxicated!

Tell Garv to look after it coz I want it back at some point. And tell him to get his arse into gear and get out for a drink with Jeff sometime soon ;)

N

infoxicated
25th June 2002, 10:34 AM
I'm guessing you'll have to pry it from his cold dead hands... kind of thing! ;) :lol:

Nick Burcombe
25th June 2002, 10:35 AM
That can be arranged :)

infoxicated
26th June 2002, 12:11 PM
I spoke to Garv this morning about the model, and apparently it has vanished! :o

It has been on his desk for some time, but it just disappeared - it had been crushed at some point too, so it wasn't in the best of condition.

So... if someone down at a Liverpool pub tries to sell you a crushed Feisar... you know it's dodgy!

Nick Burcombe
26th June 2002, 12:23 PM
LOL! I was speaking to Jeff last night in the pub and he said "You'll be lucky".
Just say Hi to Garv anyway. :) I'm not really expecting it back.

Mano
25th November 2002, 09:11 AM
Hi, i realize this is an old topic, but, any chances on posting a pic of the feisar model? or at least a scan of the picture in the edge magazine, please?

Nick Burcombe
25th November 2002, 09:26 AM
I'll scan it in from Edge magazine tonight - certain I've got a copy at home.
I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Feisar
25th November 2002, 12:55 PM
i have
wip3out
Wipeout Fusion
Demo disc with first Wipeout (wont play)

thats about it for me, i cant find any others, my counsin has Wipeout XL for 64 but i hate the 64 controls like dark chocalate with dark coffe'
I think the Feisar craft has the symbolism of the game Wipeout itself, i mean when i first played the demo, the craft you play with is the Feisar. Feisar has been in every game still holding its bearings :lol:
When i grow up and make decent money ill just become a collector and play them old time sake, reminding of the times of 1995, my faviorite year :cry:

sorry for my delay in posting, this site takes forever to load!!!! im posting right now from my school with there T-1 line, it works alot better opposed to my DSL.

ta ta for now gentlemen and ladies, for Elvis needs a break!

Nick Burcombe
25th November 2002, 11:54 PM
How do I post a picture in the forum? I've scanned it in etc....[/img]

Lance
26th November 2002, 12:01 AM
nick, you have to post it on your own site, or that of a willing accomplice [commercial or otherwise], then just post the link to it in a comment. you don't have to use full html as long as BBCode is enabled in your post, just do the httpwwwwwwwetcetera thing and it will be a live link

Mano
26th November 2002, 12:11 AM
Infoxicated please help!!!! :D

Nick i think you could email him the images so he can upload them to the downloads section, unless you have a website to post them then tag here the image linked to there. Thanks a lot for taking the time Nick! (hoping to see the scan soon):D

In other news...... I GOT WIPEOUT 3 SPECIAL EDITION!!! YAY!!! :D :D :D , it should be arriving in a week or so from U.K., damn its hard for a guy from Peru to get this game....now if only i could find a Negcon and Wipeout XL for pc....

zargz
26th November 2002, 01:08 AM
wo3se is a pal game and won't play on a ntsc machine!

Mano
26th November 2002, 01:16 AM
but will play on epsxe!!! :D :D

i already knew, but i play my psx games more on pc emus now, thanks for the warning tho :)

oh and there are patches out there that u could use to play it on ntsc, they work this way: you make an image of wo3se, add the patch and burn it in a cd.
I have a question on this, would doing so consist on copyright infringement even if i own an original legal copy of the game?

Lance
26th November 2002, 03:57 AM
mano, nick does have a website, and he was asking how to post pics in the forums, not on the main page

Mano
26th November 2002, 06:11 AM
Yeah i knew he asked about posting the pic in the forum, i just showed an option if he couldnt, in the case he couldnt have access to a website to post it (that, i wasnt sure about, if he had a website or access to one). hehe i guess while getting excited about seeing the scan and getting Wo3SE, i got misunderstood. :D

infoxicated
26th November 2002, 08:10 AM
Nick is welcome to send me the image.

Other than that, I believe it's
[img]http://www.yourwebsite.com/imagename.jpg[/img]

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 09:08 AM
I'll make a page on my personal website and you guys can link directly to it. :)

N

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 09:16 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/my/FTOlogy/edgeissue31april1996.jpg

my site is - www.ftology.co.uk (car related)

Synthetic Consciousness
26th November 2002, 09:25 AM
w00t! :o A shame toys/models of the ships never came out as merchandise; I want one, now! :D

"WipEout: What's YOUR level of commitment?" 8)

[Fixed-typo]

As an afterthought, if toys of the ships had come out, why not slotcar-type RC ships and a piece-together track? :P

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 09:33 AM
It was fantastically detailed. The racing suit worn bythe pilot was awesome.
Jim Bowers is a very talented chap indeed.

Synthetic Consciousness
26th November 2002, 09:42 AM
Yes, very talented. Synthie like! :D :D :D :D

Mano
26th November 2002, 09:45 AM
Thanks Nick! :D

phantom_menace
26th November 2002, 10:37 AM
Wow - this site rules! Just popped in from the Fusion Forum, hello to you all.

Good to see that Nick Burcombe has input to this forum - do I have some questions for him!! Haven't played QR yet but it does look pretty stunning from the demo movies that I have seen and it has a much more satisfying motion engine and physics than Fusion - more in the true spirit of the original wipEouts (which I guess he is responsible for!!!).

To answer stindah's original question I have:-
wipEout
wipEout 2097
wip3out and wip3out SE
wipEout Fusion

I bought my PS1 to play wipEout and similarly the PS2 for Fusion. Fusion was a huge disappointment for me, especially the poorly executed new ship motion system, the Fisher-Price toy ship designs and the overall game design lost that hard-edge futuristic techno feeling. Hell its like wipEout PS1 never happened.

Does anybody else agree?

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 10:42 AM
Kind words indeed.
Here is a version of QR for you :) £25.00 it's a bargain....assuming you're the only bidder.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=803798605

Nick B

xEik
26th November 2002, 01:58 PM
Tell Jim to make another, let's say, two hundred and he'll make good business. :lol:
Just kidding. I hope I could buy one like that somewhere (even if it's crashed and dodgy ;) )

By the way, FTO is one of my favourites cars as well. It's a shame I haven't seen many in real life. I would race mostly that one in Gran Turismo.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 02:01 PM
LOL. Jim doesn't even work in the business anymore. I think he does Matte paintings for backgrounds in movies.

Lance
26th November 2002, 02:10 PM
woah. really detailed for a mockup. Bowers is indeed talented as you say. and it's a classic design, too. btw, i don't know what any of you designers look like; which is whom in that pic?

i bet that Bowers gets paid more for doing mattes than for games. i'm not quite sure how i feel about the relative pay-scale of the two activities

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 02:13 PM
The one on the left is me (male) and Nicky is on the right (female). LOL

Plus that was 1996!! Christ I'm getting old....

Lance
26th November 2002, 02:34 PM
:) all i've ever seen is names. the name 'Nicky' could belong to either sex, and i've forgotten any personal details of game history. anyway, Nicky is kinda cute regardless of gender. your own cuteness, though it is less questionable then mine [zero][come to think of it, that leaves no question], is somewhat doubtful. ;)

auslander
26th November 2002, 04:31 PM
:) all i've ever seen is names. the name 'Nicky' could belong to either sex, and i've forgotten any personal details of game history. anyway, Nicky is kinda cute regardless of gender. your own cuteness, though it is less questionable then mine [zero][come to think of it, that leaves no question], is somewhat doubtful. ;)

Lance, are you hitting on the Developers, again? :wink:

*ducks!*

^_~

Although.... if it'd get me a Wipeout Craft Model i'd have flowers in the mail tomorrow!

aus!

Nick Burcombe
26th November 2002, 05:05 PM
>Nicky is kinda cute regardless of gender

What an odd thing to say! :o :D :o :D

Synthetic Consciousness
26th November 2002, 05:33 PM
http://www.gamespy.com/legacy/top10/date_a.shtm

3. Game developers drive the best cars. 8)

Lance
26th November 2002, 06:21 PM
aus: lol. no, i never hit on anyone

btw, just because i find someone 'cute' does not mean that i find them sexually attractive; beauty is a thing which may be part of sexiness, but also exists completely apart from it.

nick: well... i'm odd. i'm more flexible then most about what constitutes 'cuteness' or 'sexiness'. the gender ambiguity of my own appearance and general character has always forced me to be more open-minded and speculative not only about gender 'standards', but about every kind of standard, whether it's factual, philosophical, political, moral, religiousal [ :D ] or any other polysyllabic word ending in the letters 'a' and 'l'. if one is weird [outside the standard], one demands justification of middle-of-the-road generally 'accepted' ''standards''. not only have i always questioned everything, but i am more comfortable with doubt than i am with certainty

Synthetic Consciousness
26th November 2002, 07:03 PM
BTW, didn't really mean anything with that previous post of mine; just thought it relevant to what Auslander posted; and that I also totally agree with the third reason on the list. :)

Spaceboy Gajo
27th November 2002, 03:08 AM
LOL guys!

Now where did I leave my keys to the TARDIS?

I think it's time for me an aus to track down that model, instaed of killing aliens in Time Splitters 2

spaceboy gajo :D

Feisar
27th November 2002, 03:14 AM
that 10 reasons page is proablly the funniest thing every, Joy stick really becomes the JOY SCHTIK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P

WHY AM I SO DIVERSE, ANSWER THAT, TALLY WAT!

Nick Burcombe
27th November 2002, 09:06 AM
So lance - are you male or female? JUst curious now. Good answer BTW

Lance
27th November 2002, 02:52 PM
nick:
i'm male. but built very very light, currently 8.57 stone/120 pounds/54.54 kilos at a height of [here comes more math] 69 inches/175 cm. with wrists not much bigger than broomsticks and other bones to match. i've often been mistaken for female, despite having no visible mammary glands, so in seeking for my own identity i was compelled to be very questioning about assumptions and very open-minded about the answers. though i am a mix of characteristics, most of my interests have always been those typically associated with hetero males. like cars, racing, guns, science, that sort of stuff. it's true that my interest in design, although it is primarily in engineering design, mostly vehicles, does extend to interior design, at least, the interiors of ocean liners, but that is subsidiary to my interest in the mechanicals. ...although there is always that interest in *coff* um.... gentlemen, that is more typically though not exclusively found in ladies. however, i am both celibate and old, so that is merely an academic subject for me.

and now that i have given far more information than requested, how the hell did we get on this subject, anyway? i thought these forums were about anti-gravity racing. :D