PDA

View Full Version : Control setup (NeGcon)

BulletWraith
8th September 2007, 12:45 AM
hey I'm pretty new to Wipeout, just started playing 2097 a few months back and am still having issues with the controls, I found a better layout lastnight which I think will work for me, feels much smoother than the standard controls

my layout:
Thrust= L
Fire= R
Change View= II
Discard Weapon= I
Left Air break= B
Right Air break= A
haven't changed the twist settings yet, messed with them before but made me worse.

I find that having Thrust as L(Analogue) is much easier for me to use than the I & II buttons, they make my fingers hurt, I almost opened it up to extend them as they just feel wrong(I guess that's why I don't use em at all now)
also I find the completely digital click of the A/B buttons as the Air breaks much easier and more Accurate to use

so yeh I'd really like to see what other people are using so I can try them out

thanks
-Stevie

lunar
8th September 2007, 01:12 PM
I think you are using Al Sartwell`s set up, or similar, so you`re in good company. Search the 2097 forum and you`ll find lots of discussions about this sort of thing. Keep racing and see you on the tables!

element42
11th September 2007, 11:00 PM
Ah... I would love to be able to use thrust on the analogue L. But I just can't control the pitch at the same time :frown:

Medusa
11th September 2007, 11:05 PM
In XL (and the original for that matter), I use B for thrust, A for fire, and I for discard. I never change the airbrakes from the L and R buttons so that it feels the most intuitive and changing from game to game is less confusing.
It's most important it feels naturally to you because on phantom you have no time to think about what button you should press next...

JABBERJAW
17th September 2007, 12:29 AM
I have a similar setup
R thrust
L Weapon
2= left brake
A= right brake
1=discard
b=change view

I would like thrust on L as well, but if feels too weird with the dpad. Also would like the digital buttons as brake, but I don't like how my hand has to move to perform the constant airbraking in XL.

BulletWraith
17th September 2007, 01:57 AM
thats a really interesting setup JabbaJaw, it's cool you can handle it as I find it very hard to use an analog break and digital break at the same time.
Thats partly why I don't use the L/R triggers for breaks as they feel different, I also use the L as accerlrate so I can get perfect starts easy and ease off the acclerator when going around corners.

WipEout arrived in the mail today and I can't use my control setup on it so I'm stuffed, hopefully it won't be to hard to re-wire the buttons

grrrrr:cold

-Stevie

JABBERJAW
17th September 2007, 12:03 PM
It is, and if I was you I wouldn't try to rewire your negcon, it will become loose at best(still usable). Only if you have extras that you are willing to break would I do that.

BulletWraith
17th September 2007, 10:51 PM
It is, and if I was you I wouldn't try to rewire your negcon, it will become loose at best(still usable). Only if you have extras that you are willing to break would I do that.

yeh I'll wait till I have a few to mess with, my second Neggie arrived this morning, it's boxed in mint condition:hyper so I shan't be touching it
I don't mind if it becomes loose as I'll just use use nuts and bolts through the whole controller I don't mind if it looks like Frankenstein's monster:rock

oh and 'break' is such a harsh word

thunder and Joy
-Stevie

Vincent_VII
22nd February 2008, 01:22 AM
Finally, I can add to this discussion. :hyper

I jumped right in with:

A = discard
B = view change
I = right air brake
II = left air brake
L = throttle
R = weapon/turbo/shield

Twist is set to 90.

Analog air brakes on I and II work great. L works really good as an analog throttle. R is used for weapons on nearly every console FPS anyway. A and B are out of the way enough.

I had 0 problems with pitch.

Lance
22nd February 2008, 02:05 AM
IIRC, the L button is an analog potentiometer [or sumtin like that], so as long as the function you assign to it can be analog instead of just on/off, it will give you the full range of gradation.

Hm.. that was wordy.

BulletWraith
23rd February 2008, 09:07 AM
Great set up Vincent and congrats on the Black neG
cool to see someone else with a similar setup, though I dunno how you manage with those squishie air breaks
Go the Analog L Throttle!

zer0shen 0ut

phl0w
23rd February 2008, 12:30 PM
Twist is set to 90.
And you still have wrists? I find it way too uncomfortable playing on Phantom over a longer period of time. I think mine is 33°, and some guys play at 0°.I always feared I might end up suffering a severe TSV from twisting my wrists too much, seeing that I play the piano too, I am very aware of that risk.

BulletWraith
23rd February 2008, 03:18 PM
I finally cleared Rapier today and my Twist setting's are the defaults, maybe that's why it's taken me this long to do it

really is it that bad not to alter them!?
-zer0shen

Tomahawk
23rd February 2008, 06:04 PM
I've been playing W3O and 3SE with a 90° twist setting for years. I've had a few sessions within the last two weeks and somehow I couldn't play properly with this twist setting anymore so I've set it to 60° now.

My buttons are set like this:
L: thrust
R: fire weapon
A: right airbreak
B: left airbreak
I: drop weapon
II: hyperthrust

Vincent_VII
24th February 2008, 05:53 AM
zer0shen, Thanks again! And I think the default is set to 180... I wouldn't dare go any higher than 90.

phl0w, you may have something here. My right wrist is really yelling at me after an hour long phantom session today. I think I will slowly dial it down until I find something comfortable.

Vincent_VII
28th February 2008, 01:07 AM
I have settled on twist set to 3.

I swapped my face buttons to a setup like zer0shen's and the air brakes feel more responsive now.

Still trying to scrape together some cash so I can buy the two white NeGcons from that local mom n' pop game shop.

RJ O'Connell
16th August 2008, 06:52 PM
I go for a more "conventional" set up with my neGgie, I use the default setting for Wipeout 3 and model WipEout and XL after that. I love being able to just lay the back of my thumb back on I to fire weapons as opposed to reaching my thumb and being at risk of not using 100% throttle.

II - Throttle
I - Fire
A - hyperthrust
B - Drop
L and R - Airbrakes

Twist: 62 degrees. With a tiny, tiny deadspot.

EDIT: So I got around to trying the "Sartwell Setup". It feels much more comfortable in XL, however, the "A" button has a tendency to stick a bit so that could be a concern.