PDA

View Full Version : Jack's Hyperlap Attack - 123Klan

Flashback Jack
4th September 2007, 09:28 PM
Da Scoop

Before settling on this track the next in the hyperlap series, I want to know if there are any North Americans interested in participating, and/or whether you have the European (PAL) version of Wipeout Pure. If there is enough interest, accompanied by enough protest to warrant picking a track common to both regions, by all means speak up. Though it's rather simple, here's a short description of exactly what's involved in the series:

The hyperlap refers to the fastest possible lap over the distance of a given track. Your aim is to find that point of terminal velocity, lay claim to it and forever anchor your name as uber overlord atop the record listings.

With Pure being a couple years old, you will find that the existing records are already sickeningly fast as they are. The main purpose of the attack is to rekindle firey interest in Pure and shift everyone's perspective of what it means to be ultimately fast, all before the imminent release of Wipeout: Pulse.

Da Idea Denizen of the FX300 Hyperlap Overworld

A word of warning. For a lot of people, hotlapping is seriously mundane business. If however you are open to the idea of securing the title of the fastest known racer, running lap after lap to the point of unconscious familiarity, surgeon-level precision or Matrix-calibre clarity, then you are encouraged to participate.

Da Tools:

The fastest ship you can pick. Invariably this amounts to the Triakis. Phantom class. Single lap only.

Da Goal

Put an end to Arnaud's 20.61. :)

Da Modus

On the way to the goal, discussion of strategy is encouraged. Your immovable conviction alone that you are the fastest man in the known world assures your victory, even if you are apprehensive of revealing your s3cr3ts. Post your progress in the forum of rants, raves and laptimes. Keep 'er on topic though.

- F

lunar
4th September 2007, 11:08 PM
this was the original Pure hotlap challenge. the thread is here. (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3351&highlight=123Klan)

Not sure if I`m in this or not, but I wrote a track guide in the old thread, which is still damn close to the best method, except you should never hit the speed pad on the monkey hill. This method could be refined though, as could the lap record. ;) 3 -2 -1 GO!

Flashback Jack
5th September 2007, 01:38 PM
Very good information in your track description, Lunar. Reading it, I found I do everything exactly as you describe, with two minor differences -- I land on the right side of the two speedpads after the first barrel roll spot. I also use the speed pad before the monkey. I'm going to experiment with that a litte; a technique I used on Exostra to control the float is to briefly let off the throttle and nose down. If it works, one can combine the added speed from the boost pad with the benefit of low flight as if one missed it entirely.

After a few hundred laps, down to 21.02.

- F

Asayyeah
5th September 2007, 04:44 PM
Da Goal

- F
:robotmwhuahahahahahah:robot

;)

Flashback Jack
5th September 2007, 06:48 PM
Lunar or Arnaud, can you post your ghost? I wouldn't mind a quick pace ship.

Thanks,

- F

Asayyeah
5th September 2007, 08:18 PM
click here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=585) and you ll get an old ghost at 20.83. The most recent one is still into my MS , ill have to check it next week.

lunar
6th September 2007, 12:14 AM
I can`t find that ghost file atm, it`s on my memory stick and PC but the old PSP savedata viewer doesn`t work on my PC any more, and it`s one of about 500 ghosts on there! I will have another look tomorrow.

Flashback Jack
6th September 2007, 01:20 PM
No problem, all I wanted was a pace ship to motivate me to crack the 20 second barrier. Asa's ghost was enough.

Also just so happens I crossed the finish line at the exact same time as his ghost, so I offer a 20.83. More to come.

- F

Flashback Jack
6th September 2007, 07:15 PM
Nobody else interested in challenging Arnaud's record? Lunar, you in? How about the remainder of the top five, or anybody else?

Come, we can't let the tops dogs sleep easy. Assist me in crushing dreams. :)

- F

Asayyeah
6th September 2007, 08:05 PM
Tell me more about that ghost of 20.83 , where do i get turbo? at the monkey hill or shorcutting the open area?
I think if we can get that last BR at that hill without using turbo to do it and save it for the open section that could make a real blasting score ... under 20?

123 klan is in my top 5 most fav tracks, i loooove shortcutting on that right open section.

Flashback Jack
6th September 2007, 08:20 PM
Following your ghost for a bit, I notice you run slightly wide on the open section after you hit the boost pad. I don't know if you tighted your line up in your 20.61 run, but I'm clipping the all the right-side apexes to the point of jumping the end of the track entirely. I noticed it's especially critical to clip the edges to secure a fast line into the narrow left-hand bend.

You appear to turbo after hitting the boost pad just before the monkey; I matched your ghost by not hitting the boost pad. I think my ship may have touched down before yours, allowing me to pass you slightly. Your ghost seemed to catch up though.

But yes, 123 is a very nice track. The degree of difficulty isn't as high as Exostra with its ugly chicane.

By the way, you did notice my new Exostra time, did you? :)

- F

Flashback Jack
7th September 2007, 01:20 PM
Starting to get damn tough now. 20.72.

- F

lunar
7th September 2007, 04:41 PM
excellent time, Flash. I`m convinced that the monkey speed pad should be avoided, as it`s dead time while you wait to get there. A ship that turbos before it will be gone by the time you wait for the pad and hit your turbo. I don`t think there`s any alternative to the turbo strategy we`re using on this track. It`s also a track that isn`t affected very much by the PSP firmware. Many tracks got a bit faster after FW3.0, but I don`t think potential 123Klan times were affected much, if at all, by the increased cpu speed.

As for whether I`m in, I`m waiting for a Pulse release date to motivate me into picking up Pure again. Arnaud`s time is beatable, but I`ll stick my neck out and say that no-one can break 20 seconds on this.

Medusa
7th September 2007, 08:47 PM
Flashback, where are your times in the record tables/why aren't they there? That would stir up some big fish I'm sure. Or even a few little ones. I'd join but I'll likely never get near your times anyways. (I'll save my mediocre times for other less intense challenges.)

Flashback Jack
7th September 2007, 09:19 PM
Privacy issues, basically.

I'd like to see you participate in this thread, Medusa (harness some of that TT Karbonis chi). 123 is one of the easier tracks, in my own experience. The top times are extremely difficult to match and beat, but with enough persistence, absolutely anyone can do it. I'm still learning the game and there's more than a handful of tracks in Pure I'm utterly unfamiliar with. In total, I've invested only about 4-5 months in the game, so if I could do it, anyone could.

- F

Medusa
7th September 2007, 09:30 PM
Privacy. I understand completely. It makes me very nervous to see my real name anywhere on the www. Even where my forum name is linked with my name on the boards here I get all freaked out. Paranoia the destroya!
But WipEout overcomes all my paranoias. It just means something more to see my name at the top of an official records table, I guess.

Karbonis chi! LOL. First of all, I don't love Pure anywhere close to how I love the F3600, second of all I can't use a neGcon, thirdly I'm determined to finish WO64 sometime soon, and lastly...embarrassing as this is to admit...if I take after any TT in Pure it will be Karbonis VR. Sad but true. I am permanently attached in a psychotic way to that track, and as much as the VR neon has obliterated its beauty, deep pangs of nostalgia go through me each time I see its name...sigh.
But you never know, I may take a real crack at this sometime! It never hurts to ask!:beer

Flashback Jack
7th September 2007, 09:34 PM
In that case, the next Track Attack will be Karbonis VR. There ya go. :)

- F

Medusa
7th September 2007, 09:36 PM
LOL! (Foresees another four months of torturous racing...):dizzy Why not after all...

Flashback Jack
8th September 2007, 04:24 AM
Closing in -- 20.64.

- F

lunar
8th September 2007, 12:46 PM
LOL! (Foresees another four months of torturous racing...):dizzy Why not after all...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :blarg :naughty ;)

VR-Karbonis isn`t Karbonis at all. If it didn`t have the name I don`t think it would occur to me that it was Karbonis. It`s like flying through a cabbage. There are other tracks that are designed for and which suit Pure`s physics, such as (slipping smoothly, almost unnoticeably back on topic) 123Klan. Great time Flash, neatly .03 ahead of me and .03 behind Arnaud. This is still the weird co-incidence track, regarding times. :banzai

To prove this, I did have a quick go - about 50 laps - and got 20.97. I found that my 20.67 is very beatable up to the first BR, so there is room for improvement. But the thought of another 300 laps made me turn pale and I switched off. :)

Mad-Ice
8th September 2007, 04:39 PM
First of all I really admire your dedication to beat the top times in the tables. It will be an endless battle to keep the top times especially with the crazy Frenchman. I respect your privacy but I think it is ashame when you don't put your toptimes into the tables. The records are coming closer and closer to each other and I think it is so cool to see this.

At Lunar: why did you turn pale by the thought of another 300 laps? Don't you like it anymore to beat your own times or those of somebody else in Pure? Are you done with Pure?

Task
8th September 2007, 05:56 PM
VR-Karbonis... It`s like flying through a cabbage.Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
That one's gonna stick with me for a while!

Flashback Jack
8th September 2007, 05:59 PM
It will be an endless battle to keep the top times especially with the crazy Frenchman.

Yeah. I've always been in awe at those that ride the fine line between what's possible and impossible when it comes to gaming; it's kind of like the oldschool display of skill that makes the old pinball machines go TILT or overflowing internal variables to make scores loop in games like Asteroids. Pushing programs/games to the limits of their logic is something that appeals to me a lot. People used to do that a lot back in the day (what's the world Pacman record set at again?). It's an interesting thing. I'm an unapologetic oldschool gamer, a downright militant Gen-Xer. :)

About the record tables, I suppose I'll warm up to it soon. But you know when Pulse rolls around, we'll have to gather up the Zone's troops and fight for world dominance seeing as the records will be centrally hosted.

But yes, the Frenchman, and not to mention yourself are some crazy dudes. This place is overflowing with nutters, actually, and that's a good thing. Toss in a crazy Canadian and the soup gets all the thicker. HHHHUA!

Anyhow, gathering up the artillery and heading out the Toronto meetup. Starts in about an hour. We'll fill everybody in when it's over.

- F

Mad-Ice
9th September 2007, 08:57 AM
But yes, the Frenchman, and not to mention yourself are some crazy dudes. This place is overflowing with nutters, actually, and that's a good thing. Toss in a crazy Canadian and the soup gets all the thicker. HHHHUA!

- F

So we will have The Fearsome French, The Crazy Canadian and The Dangerous Dutch

rdmx
9th September 2007, 10:06 AM
Alliterations make me dizzy :dizzy

q_dmc12
9th September 2007, 02:25 PM
I hate thick soup.....literally not metaphoricaly, and the dutch are more than dangerous;)

Lion
10th September 2007, 08:24 AM
judging by my last performance on kai I am now the kraptastic kiwi

Asayyeah
11th September 2007, 05:31 PM
So we will have The Fearsome French, The Crazy Canadian and The Dangerous Dutch
Les 3 mousquetaires ( The 3 musketeers ) from Alexandre Dumas ' One for All and All for One ' :banzai

Congrats for the .64 Mike , i know it's not mission complete for you so keep up the good free laps session

Lance
11th September 2007, 06:05 PM
But what about D'Artagnan, le Mousquetaire quatrieme?

Asayyeah
11th September 2007, 10:16 PM
You certainly mean D'AL-rtagnan :D , the 4th musketeer hidden in Essex junction wood playing secretly to get back his crown at the 1st opportunitie :banzai.

Flashback Jack
15th September 2007, 11:36 PM
Da Goal

20.41 (perfect lap, all speed pads hit except the ones I'm supposed to miss)

This is for taking my Exostra record away. :)

- F

lunar
16th September 2007, 12:58 AM
wow. :o:clap Is this on your new PSP? Slim, lite and fast, if so. :rock

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 01:01 AM
Nope, on my old PSP, and that was roughly an hour after I repaired my direction pad. The right button snapped off from the rest of the plastic plate that makes up the direction pad. Precision screwdrivers and crazy glue to the rescue! Works like new!

- F

lunar
16th September 2007, 01:07 AM
Must have been turbo-glue! Well, anyway, sounds like you definitely need that new one.

Awesome time, you must have been absolutely perfect with all the sideshifting too. I`m going to feint and go to sleep now. :beer

Asayyeah
16th September 2007, 02:27 PM
Mega Jack is back ! Wow 20.41 , 2 tenths better than mine this is a large gap mate :clap congrats

Still turbo at the monkey or different startegy?

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 10:46 PM
Still turbo at the monkey or different startegy?

Thanks. Yes, still turbo at the monkey. I experimented with turboing around the gradual left that leads to the uphill monkey jump; it does work and may save some time, however, on my 20.41 I waited until I had a clear view of the hill before hitting boost.

There's an invisible wall that you can go through on this track. It might save some time if you approach it fast enough and with a well-placed sideshift. I didn't use it on my 20.41, but it's right after the first barrell roll leading into the left bend. If you're going fast enough, you can pass right through the low wall of the bend if you sideshift into the side of it. I did it a few times and it counts as a perfect lap if you don't touch any other walls.

If I'm to say where I made up the most time, it's definitely after the first barrel roll into the left turn. After I landed, I hugged the outside track with a single right tap, carving a fast and tight line into the turn (sideshifting a couple times), and I was able to nose down once the road straightened out.

The sideshift after the first boost pad I didn't execute real smoothly on this run; I landed with a slight bump. I ran at least one lap since where I was leading my ghost all the way up to the monkey, and that was after shifting smoothly between first and second boost pad, so there's still more in it yet.

- F

Asayyeah
16th September 2007, 10:54 PM
i noticed that invisible wall cut you described perfectly, did you tried a crazy BR on that low wall ? : i did like 300 laps last year only doing this , one time i catched my ghost by landing smoothly but very fast right after the boost pad ending that left bend most of the time my ship goes out and respawn.

Thx for all those details Jack :+

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 10:56 PM
did you tried a crazy BR on that low wall ?

I did, yeah. Even managed one perfect lap after barrell rolling off the side wall. :)

- F

Flashback Jack
17th September 2007, 06:13 PM
I'll have my 123Klan ghost up for you in a couple hours.

EDIT: Here it is. (http://rapidshare.com/files/56403631/FLA-123KLAN-2019.zip)

- F

Asayyeah
19th September 2007, 12:06 AM
I moved here your ghost link Flash since it is much more appropriate and belongs to 123 Klan.
That ghost will be interesting to race.
I am actually at 20.44 after a session last night : i am using the turbo during the open section : shamely i couldn't BR at the top of the Monkey hill. I did this last BR without using turbo like maybe 10 times during that session this is tricky you must sideshift on that right boostpad getting out from that left bend , your speed must be at least around 820 kph with triakis to allow you a complete BR with boost. Without that missing one it should be possible to really lower the lap ...
Btw not much more than 20.78 with the turbo at the monkey strategy for me : your lap has to be a fantastic one !

Flashback Jack
19th September 2007, 02:22 PM
20.44 with only one boost? That's incredible. If you can manage to boost at the top of the monkey hill, you will more than likely beat my lap.

All the while, you have just given ol' Jack an idea. Meheheheh!

I lucked out with my 20.41, but about the open area, I side-shifted once after the second boost to keep my line to the the first barrel roll jump as tight and fast as possible. I landed to the right side of the two boost pads (precariously near the edge) which might reduce the amount of distance travelled. In other words, I took as big as a jump diagonally across the first BR jump as possible, risking a big plummet to my death each time. Try it.

I'll take a bit of time out from Karbonis to try your method. The way I barrel roll involves a quick twitch of the hand (I can nearly pull it off anywhere), so I'll see if I have any luck with it.

- F

Flashback Jack
20th September 2007, 09:20 PM
I shot a video of me doing a lap of 123Klan yesterday. It was tough holding the PSP still. I'll uploadi t when I get a chance.

- F

Flashback Jack
24th September 2007, 01:09 AM
i am using the turbo during the open section : shamely i couldn't BR at the top of the Monkey hill.

I tried a couple hundred laps this way. Although I managed to barrel roll for extra speed at the top of the monkey hill a few times without boosting first, I couldn't manage to do it on a fast lap. I'm having lots of trouble getting in front of my 20.41 ghost up to the first barrel roll spot in the open section, and when I do, I can hold the lead after powering ahead with a boost and barrel roll, but my ghost gradually catches up to me and blazes past before I get to the top of the monkey hill. I have no idea how I even managed to pull off that lap. Even for me it's bloody fast.

This new method can work, but I'll say with cautious confidence that it might not result in a significantly lower laptime. Lower yes, but not a lot lower. If it's going to succeed, one has to be ahead of my ghost by a couple ship lengths before boosting in the open section (very difficult), lose as little speed as possible plowing into the left-hander (technically subtle), hold up for more speed going through the narrow section (tricky) and pray one has enough velocity to be able to execute the barrel roll at the top of the hill before my ghost catches up (more luck than anything). The lap would have to be perfect in every respect. It'll be a helluva task to make work, but I'd like to see someone pull it off if I don't do it first.

- F

Flashback Jack
25th September 2007, 03:17 PM
I'll take a bit of time out from Karbonis to try your method.

Managed to make it work, however, I could only come up with a 20.68. :(

- F

Mad-Ice
31st October 2007, 10:18 PM
The Attack of the Mad-Pad-Man!!

I took a spin on 123Klan and it took 125 laps to beat the record. This is how I did it: I took the turbo on the open section and cut off as much as possible and I succeeded with the barrel roll on the monkeyhill. I did a 20.16 and I think it is possible to go even lower than that.

Flashback Jack
1st November 2007, 01:52 PM
Pure insanity.

Congratulations. I'll be cracking this track open again to see if I could match or better your time.

- F

Asayyeah
1st November 2007, 08:20 PM
The Attack of the Mad-Pad-Man!!

I took a spin on 123Klan and it took 125 laps to beat the record.
Too bad mate , how can you do 125 laps on 123Klan ...that is only 123 laps allowed here !
Laprecord will be deleted :D

;)

Mad-Ice
2nd November 2007, 12:12 PM
That is so funny!! :nod:p

I thought it really was ashame that the record wasn't in the 123 lap, but anyway I was so happy with this lap. This new technique with turbo on the opensection and the BR on the monkeyhill is giving this track a new inpulse!!! It feels so good if it succeeds multiple times after eachother.:rock

lunar
2nd November 2007, 12:44 PM
Yes you`re a very bad mad pad man for not sticking to the 123. :naughty But that`s really an awesome ninja performance, fantastic. You are becoming like Arnaud: if we dream of the most outrageous possibility for a track, you can pull it off. Indeed I can`t wait to race you online in Pulse, and make you pay for it. ;) Maybe there`ll be none of your tricky little barrel rolls with those mag-strips. Anyway, great job. :beer

Asayyeah
2nd November 2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe there`ll be none of your tricky little barrel rolls with those mag-strips. :beer
:naughty
LOL
Don't write that as a right statement cause i ve seen the baaaad mad pad man in action on Pulse Moa therma where he did a BR at junction between track and mag strip : he did that by mistakes the 1st time but next lap he did that intentionaly :clap

Hopefully except twice on a row where he beats me on that game sharing pulse mode, i took advantage ;)

Mad-Ice
4th November 2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the compliments Lunar!! And thanks for the nice nickname you gave to me!

About multiplayer with Pulse racing you will be absolutely great again!!!

BR's on a Mag-Strip this will be the new challenge in Pulse I think.

BTW: I tried Goteki45 with the same technique and I could come up with 20.75

Mad-Ice
5th November 2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Flash,

I don't know how to take your post: sarcastic or as a compliment. Please be clear with what you meant and just ask me if you want to know anything!

Greetz Mad-Ice

Flashback Jack
5th November 2007, 02:13 PM
Replied in the wrong thread, Ice. Juggling browser windows tends to result in stuff like this. :)

My response was supposed to go in the Toronto Wipeout gathering thread, but while I'm here, where exactly did you fire off your boost?

- F

Mad-Ice
6th November 2007, 02:19 PM
Okay nothing wrong then. Thanks for replying!

Greetz Mad-Ice

Flashback Jack
8th November 2007, 02:04 PM
Almost ran a winner the other night. Crossed the finish line in 20.43 after missing the barrel roll at the monkey (boosted in open area). :)

- F

Asayyeah
8th November 2007, 04:53 PM
I did that 20.44 weeks ago without BR at the monkey ( you beat me for 0.01 :D ): this is so tricky to do it constantly.:mr-t

Without that missing BR i wouldn't be surprised that our scores crossed that 20 sec barrier.

Flashback Jack
8th November 2007, 06:39 PM
Of course I always prove wrong when I attempt to guess limits, but I'm thinking anything faster than 20.40 without the second barrel roll is nearly unlikely. I ran every corner as fast as I possibly could on that 20.43, but simply didn't make the second BR.

But yes, I think you're correct in saying that our runs would likely break the 20-second barrier had we pulled off the third boost.

- F