PDA

View Full Version : 64 on the PSP

Mark Of Insanity
16th August 2007, 12:00 PM
Seeing as how WO1, XL/2097 and hopefully SE are coming to the Playstation Portable, I was wondering if there was any chance of the unfamed Wipeout 64 coming along for the ride too. As a big fan of WO1 and 2097, I love the fact that they come together as one but not just a compilation. I didn't realise, the first time I played it, that almost all the tracks were just the old ones reversed, but I still love it. I actually think that it has better challenges than both of the games before it, and in that sense is a bit of a precursor to the Wipeout 3 style of challenges.
Oh and the Feisar Gun is incredible.

I can imagine it might be harder for this to happen than even Fusion to PSP, but with the engine similarities between 2097 and 64, I think there must be some common ground. I wouldn't be surprised if 64 was created with the same methods as 2097, but then ported to the Nintendo. Given that this is actually a gem in disguise, I do wonder if it will ever see the light of day again.

On an unrelated note, can anyone tell me whether Terafumos is a mirror of Terramax or Silverstream - it's been a while.

Axel
21st September 2007, 09:49 AM
Somebody who loves and understands this game as much as I do. This game was a hidden gem for me and one that doesn't get the recognition I think it deserves. Yes Terrafumos is a remix of the two tracks which as done very well. I'm still waiting to race a track as fun as Qoron IV (Best track ever on Phantom).

WO3 actually felt similar to 64 which is probably why I really love that game as well. I would love to see these tracks resurrected in some way in future WO titles. WO64 tracks were designed for pure speed, which is probably why I love them so much.

Mark Of Insanity
23rd September 2007, 02:05 PM
Ah, wow. A reply!

I think now that Terafumos is Silverstream but taking the right-left-right route, and then mirrored. Which would explain why it doesn't seem familiar (I mostly/always take left-right-left).

Now, how about this one on the PSP?

Rapier Racer
25th September 2007, 10:39 AM
Wipeout 64 will never see the light of day again, at least as far as it appearing on any piece of Playstation hardware goes cos I know Nintendo have a classic game download service for the Wii (I think at least lol) I'm not sure if N64 games are available though. You understand that Sony were not exactly thrilled about 64s existence right?

Lion
26th September 2007, 12:39 AM
the Wii does have a game download service and it does cover n64 titles, but unfortunately WipEout64 was a Konami published title, so it's unlikely to appear on Wii either because as far as I know Nintendo doesn't have a publishing deal with Konami for Virtual Arcade

JABBERJAW
27th September 2007, 06:51 PM
not konami, midway(same thing most of the time)

Lion
28th September 2007, 02:57 PM
oops, yes, thanks, you are right.

xdirex
30th September 2007, 05:10 AM
The main reason that we'll never see it on PSP is because Sony wouldn't put the effort into building a N64 emulator just to get one game to play.

WO1, 2097, 3, etc play on the PSP through a PS1 emulator, they weren't actually ported as such...

Also, I have to disagree with the above statement saying that 64 feels like 3. 2097 yes, but definitely not 3!

I'm am a big fan of Wipeout 64 (hey, it's more Wipeout, right?!) but I have to admit that I only really got into it when I started playing it emulated on the PC with a dualshock controller (clone). Even though I owned it for Nintendo64, I always hated the N64 controller and analog stick, and I think it really inhibited my enjoyment of the game. And what was with not being able to use the d-pad?!

EddieE
15th February 2008, 07:28 PM
Can anyone suggest an emulator for XP.
Also any suggestions where id actually get the rom of WO64 to play on it.
Ive never played WO64 and have seen it on youtube and it looks pretty cool.

Frances_Penfold
16th February 2008, 04:05 AM
the Wii does have a game download service and it does cover n64 titles, but unfortunately WipEout64 was a Konami published title, so it's unlikely to appear on Wii either because as far as I know Nintendo doesn't have a publishing deal with Konami for Virtual Arcade

Another barrier is that, apparently, each N64 game that appears on the Wii virtual console has to be individually tweaked because the Wii hardware isn't powerful enough for straight up emulation of N64 games-- which is probably why there are relatively few N64 games appearing on the virtual console (compared to NES and SNES games, for example).

I bought a brand new copy of Wipeout 64 for $15 on eBay-- it's not hard to find. What sucks, however, is how shitty the N64 looks on a modern 480p LCD screen-- the TV doesn't support composite natively, and the resulting images are dark and ugly, much worse than on an old CTV screen. The game would look better and have more control options if it was released on the Virtual Console because the Wii supports component cables and 480p.

So, here's hoping that, somehow, Midway and Nintendo (and Sony, as well, if they own parts of the game) can find a way to release it on the Wii virtual console. It wouldn't seem to be financially HURTING anybody to do so but I also doubt it's a priority for anybody, either.

swift killer
21st February 2008, 08:14 AM
I don't think discussion of any PSP emulator/mod is allowed on the forum, I should know, I've been banned for it before!

Lance
21st February 2008, 05:33 PM
Indeed. :g

phl0w
27th February 2008, 01:59 PM
He doesn't want an emulator for PSP, which would imply talk about CFW, but for XP, which is NOT forbidden, thus can be talked about. I won't help you though, EddiE, since your post implies that you don't own an original WO64 cartridge, and that makes playing a ROM of it illegal.