PDA

View Full Version : New here, couple of questions

Xan17
6th August 2007, 06:19 PM
Hey guys (and girls), I am new here and I just started getting hooked on Wipeout. I bought Wipeout when PSP came out and I didn't play previous wipeout games so naturally I don't expect to know all the things you guys do.

So on to the questions:

1) I was reading a walkthrough by HellFire and I found it good and informative since he tells us how to make turns and all. Thats how I found this website and I found a lot of guys saying that Triakis is the best ship. I just want to know why people like Triakis so much

2) People also say Traikis is the fastest ship, but it only has a speed stat of 4 out of 5...and I don't get it how that is the fastest.

3) Also, isn't Tigron more better than Triakis since it has better handling and Thrust?

Thanks for your time. I hope I am getting understood here.

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 06:42 PM
Hi! Welcome to the Zone! Triakis is a "flying brick". High on the shields and speed, low on the handling and thrust. Tigron is indeed better.

In the words of AG5Y5, "Let's Be Friends!"

Xan17
6th August 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome but I saw in the walkthorugh that HellFire denies that Tigron is better then Triakis...

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 06:57 PM
HellFire denies that Tigron is better then Triakis...

Well, then I disagree with him! :p

Dav657
6th August 2007, 07:17 PM
Yea Triakis is better then Tigron. It was something the developers did. Something about triakis not losing speed as much as the other opponents. But its very very small.

Mark Of Insanity
6th August 2007, 07:22 PM
Statistically, it is better, but Triakis has its secret weapon of carrying speed through corners. Look at the Pure records (in particular the more active PAL records). Many more Triakis than Tigron records, even in Time Trial, when the Triakis' high shield (its main advantage) that has is useless and Zone may be better suited.

I would go as far to say that Triakis is the best ship in the game, too.
A hidden stat of Triakis was unknowingly changed during development (for the better), so while it takes longer to get to high speeds, it keeps that speed all the way through. Well, that's how it is affected to my knowledge. It might improve it in other ways, too, but that's as far as I can see it.
By that note I should also mention Auricom is also slightly better in Phantom than it should be (faster), but it doesn't really touch the supership status of Triakis.

edit: You beat me to it Dav657!

I forgot something, oh yes, I know!

Welcome to the WOZone, Xan17! I hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

infoxicated
6th August 2007, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the site Xan17 - the Triakis issue is explained in this thread here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3818

Mad-Ice
6th August 2007, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the zone and welcome to Wipeout world.

mdhay
6th August 2007, 11:39 PM
Hi :)
Personally, I use any ship that I am good with.(Feisar, hint-hint :g;))
All I am bothered with, is if I pass that laser for my routinely(Is that a real word?)gold medal.

I mean, if you fell comfortable with a complete paper-thin craft, then you go for it!

Xan17
7th August 2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I knew there was some hidden stat...but i didn't know the fact that it was a faulty number who did that!

@mdhay: Yeah I used to use FEISAR but it was too slow for my taste. So I tried Zone for a while and I loved it...until I came to Rapier and Phantom. Every lap, the announcer HAD to say "Energy Critical".

I went to triakis afterwards but it was a bit hard because while I was in Zone, I barely had to use the Airbrakes and I noticed how bad triakis's handling is :P

phl0w
7th August 2007, 02:57 PM
Triakis' handling is far from bad. It's got one of the best handling of the fast ships. While I have great difficulty controlling Zone on Phantom. It's like a ping-pong ball. If they hadn't nerfed Piranha's accel so badly, I'd use it constantly. I think it handles best of all ships.

Dr. Angryman
7th August 2007, 05:34 PM
I think it handles best of all ships.

:? I always hit walls in that ship, even on Flash.... Is that because I'm a bad pilot?

*hides in corner*

alterego
7th August 2007, 05:40 PM
Hi All!

Welcome to the Zone!

About your questions....

Triakis is the 'fattie' super ship of Pure ;)

The fact are explained in the Foxi's link.

I run very much in Time Trial and in my little experience Triakis is the best, but near it you may use Icaras, 123Klanship and Goteki.

Piranha and Tigron are good ship but not so usefull like Triakis and Goteki in all the tracks.

Zone and Medievil are perfect in low class speed, but when barr roll request rises like the velocity these ships are too light for a very good time and performance.

Read You soon
CdRom

Xan17
8th August 2007, 01:04 AM
Triakis' handling is far from bad. It's got one of the best handling of the fast ships. While I have great difficulty controlling Zone on Phantom. It's like a ping-pong ball. If they hadn't nerfed Piranha's accel so badly, I'd use it constantly. I think it handles best of all ships.

It's handling is a 2 out of 5 which is bad. And Zone handles way more better than Triakis; you barely need to use the Air brakes. But I'm not defensing zone. In fact, I hate that ship. I got too used to it, and then I chose Triakis and sucked at it because I didn't use Air brakes that much.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2007, 07:18 AM
Aside from the displacement third derivative problem (oh yes) with the Triakis, I also found that the Tigron never quite hit the same top speed as the Triakis did. The thrust was a little better though, but I've always been a sucker for top speed over acceleration :)

The airbrakes will come with practice. Try to use the sideshift as well, it'll really help with sharp corners.

infoxicated
8th August 2007, 08:54 AM
Aside from the displacement third derivative problem...
Strangely, that's the first time in all these years that you have actually sounded like an astrophysicist. ;)

phl0w
8th August 2007, 09:04 AM
It's handling is a 2 out of 5 which is badTry racing a Piranha (2/5) for like 1 hour and then a Triakis (also 2/5), you'll notice a BIG difference in their handling. Triakis is no way only a 2/5 and if you look at the ship specifications on www.wipeoutpure.com (http://www.wipeoutpure.com) you'll see that it's got a much higher handling rating there.

And Zone handles way more better than TriakisThat's what its statistics say, but on Phantom a high handling rate isn't necessarily beneficial. You said yourself that you hardly have to use airbrakes. Not only does the steering become way too sensitive in a 5/5 ship on Phantom, but not using any airbrakes is actually slowing you down.

I know that Triakis and Piranha got the lowest handling of the lot on paper, but that's why I said I think [note: Piranha handles best]. For me it's got the most natural translation from directional input to turning, considering the PSP's limited controls. That's why I like its handling best. I use it for Tournaments and Single Races exclusively, in TT I'm slightly better with Triakis.

even in Time Trial, when the Triakis' high shield (its main advantage) that has is useless And how, exactly, is Zone able to barrel roll 2-3 times over 5 laps? ;) Especially in TT Triakis' high shield is unbeatable, add its crazy high speed and ability to sideshift through corners without any speed loss whatsoever and there's your super ship.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2007, 09:06 AM
Strangely, that's the first time in all these years that you have actually sounded like an astrophysicist. ;)

Nah, just me showing off :D

Quantity is displacement (distance in a straight line)
First derivative = rate of change of displacement = velocity
Second derivative = rate of change of velocity = acceleration
Third derivative = rate of change of acceleration = ;)

phl0w
8th August 2007, 09:10 AM
That path-time function is subject material in school- thus basic mathematics, not astrophysics :beer

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2007, 09:12 AM
*shhh, don't tell him that!* :D

Dr. Angryman
8th August 2007, 01:05 PM
Triakis is no way only a 2/5 and if you look at the ship specifications on www.wipeoutpure.com (http://www.wipeoutpure.com) you'll see that it's got a much higher handling rating there.

The stats on the website are strange. They say that Pirahna and AG5Y5 are the same! :o They also stated that the Assegai craft has one of the lowest shield rankings. I just don't think that's true....

Lance
8th August 2007, 02:40 PM
Aside from the displacement third derivative problem

Go, Charlie! :)

----

''Third derivative = rate of change of acceleration =''
mm... = pilot error?
[nEver let off the go-button]