PDA

View Full Version : Anger insues...Why are their no barriers on Anulpha Pass Shortcut?!

Hacker X
4th August 2007, 03:33 PM
This is a vent thread, so just bare with me. I'm going to beat Anulpha Pass Phantom Time Trial today, but just have to get this off my chest. I'm a veteran Wipeout player since 1996. I've gotten all the time trial goals in Pure (including Anulpha Pass Vector - Rapier) up to Anulpha pass Phantom so far. Been playing Wipeout Pure since launch but have done the time trial tracks off and on. Now I'm finishing them up before PULSE.

Anyway, why in the world is the shortcut (that you have to do to get a Gold medal) not have any barrier at least on its right side to keep you from falling off, and you have to either hit the speed pads or hit your boost to take it as fast as possible while maintaining keeping your nose straight? Only after having to jump onto it from the track below in the first place. Talk about frustrating. I've prettymuch almost got the Gold a few times with only a flash of a second off, but the whole point of Wipeout's is to master the track. With this part of this track a lot of the time its a flip of the coin if you will be able to maintain all 5 Phantom laps without freaking falling off.

You jump onto the shortcut which is in itself arleady making the run volatile enough. You have to then gain control of landing on it, while mainting keeping your nose straight, while at the same time trying to hit the speed pads. I usually have my boost still ready as I haven't needed it on the rest of the track which I hit and sometimes sends me flying off the track cause I either lose control, or my nose wasn't straight enough.

Trust me, I know the track can be beaten but its just frustrating having to keep doing a balancing act at the end of each lap of the track praying you don't fall off, and lose vital seconds to get the Gold, which has happened too many times before getting the Golds on Anulpa Pass on the other circuits.

Well, enough of my vent. If PURE had Mag Strips, the shortcut of Anulpha would have been a perfect spot for them. LOL.

I'm off to continue my quest to get the Anulpha Pass Phantom Gold.

/rant

phl0w
4th August 2007, 03:42 PM
I happen to really like that shortcut. No problems with a heavy ship like Piranha... Takes that section like on rails. I can imagine Triakis having a hard time there though as it is a "shaky b*tch".

RJ O'Connell
4th August 2007, 03:43 PM
Just be glad you weren't using Goteki 45 - talk about shaky craft...

Hacker X
4th August 2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I guess its because I'm using the "Zone" ship which is incredibly light I supposed. Anyway, I'm loving the challenge none the less. Just have to focus. On the last 5 tracks of Time Trials before I'm done. Then I just have to finish up the tournaments for 100% completion of Pure. I have a lot of them done, but not all. Good stuff.

lunar
4th August 2007, 03:46 PM
You can make it easier not to fall off by letting go of thrust for an instant, just as you complete the jump up onto the ramp. Releasing thrust makes it easier to get the ship under control and straight, then put the power on again. You lose a few hundredths of a second I guess, but that doesn`t really matter as it`s not a lot of time, and it`s a lot better than falling off. This is essential for multiplayer where a good average time and not falling off is the important thing.

Once on the ramp, make sure you hit the speed pads as these will help keep the ship going in a straight direction. After the archway on the ramp, you can drop off early to the left and take an easy BR-turbo. This is safe and quick. Or you can press on to the end of the ramp, move to the right side of it, and BR off the end. This is slightly faster, though you won`t always get the BR-turbo doing this. Also I think the best turbo spot on Anulpha is after the first left hand bend into the big long straight, where there is a fairly long section without speed pads, before you get to the three of them in the diagonal formation. Turbo on the ramp is not necessary with all the speed pads up there, I think.

phl0w
4th August 2007, 03:48 PM
Haven't touched that Goteki45 since WO3... ^^
EDIT:
without speed pads, before you get to the three of them in the diagonal formation Can you still take all three after turboing towards them or will you be too fast and only get like 2 of them?

Hacker X
4th August 2007, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. In all honesty, its a mix of skill and my own panicking everytime I jump onto the ramp on the 4th and 5th lap, when I'm about to get the gold. I'll have almost perfect laps and be well on my way to the Gold until I reach the shortcut and start to panic that if I fall off, I will miss the gold. lol. Have to lay off the coffee, and Sobe No Fear drinks and calm down. Although I do love "Improving Reaction Time" - WOXL Red Bull style. Haha.

lunar
4th August 2007, 04:02 PM
I did have the exact same nerves problem on there. I developed my thrust-off technique to help counter the shakes on the final lap. ;) Honestly on Kai this track is totally scary for everyone. That`s also why I found the possibility of dropping off the ramp sooner - less time to make a mistake and less time in bomb alley!

Phlow, I agree a heavy ship makes it easier up there, and you can still get all three of those pads with a nice diagonal line across them, but you have to be in the zone (mood, not ship) and preferrably well-fuelled with your favourite stimulants. :banzai

Frances_Penfold
4th August 2007, 04:16 PM
I LOVE the shortcut on Anulpha Pass-- it's the same risk factor that makes shortcuts so interesting on Mario Kart Super Circuit and (to a lesser extent) Mario Kart DS.

But I agree that it's a little flustering! I'm just finishing the last of my gold medals in Pure (just a few tournaments left) so am thinking about focusing on Anulpha Pass for serious Time Trial'ing action. Erm, maybe I should start with lap times so I don't go insane when I fall off the ramp!

Hacker X
4th August 2007, 06:00 PM
I GOT THE GOLD! Whew! Thanks for the advice Lunar. I did end up hitting the boost after that first left turn rather than on the shortcut. I also just kept my nerves calm on the shortcut and let off the controller so I wouldn't "jiggle" the nose as much from bad nerves while trying to balance. 4th lap I fell off, but landed on the track below and just kept going (even though I didnt' think I'd get the gold cause I mised both speed pads when I fell down), but I actually hit the finish line at the last part of the last second.

I'll take a break from Anulpha pass for now, but I reall hate getting Golds by a hair and want a better time. When I finish all the golds I'm going back.

Rapier Racer
4th August 2007, 06:07 PM
Having played this and every track a lot on multiplayer I find that getting onto the ledge and staying there is easy, what makes it not so easy is when OH F*** THERES A BOMB!! right in the middle of the ledge and you can't do squat about it.

Tomahawk
4th August 2007, 06:43 PM
Well, actually you can do something about it if there's a bomb in your way on the ledge. Just hit your "fire weapon button" and get your shield up... :D

Rapier Racer
4th August 2007, 07:29 PM
lol yes but in such a situation the last pad you hit probably gave you a disruption bolt or some such nonsense that can't destroy a bomb, putting a bomb on the ledge is a great move works for me 95% of the time

stin
4th August 2007, 09:49 PM
LOL!, yes I do feel ya, cos asa always put that fricking Bomb there, everytime we go there!

stevie:(

Mad-Ice
5th August 2007, 11:27 AM
Yes very tricky part, this shortcut, especially in multiplayer!! Gave me some nice explosions and DNF's. :brickwall

I really like shortcut's and skillcut's and I hope there is more of this in Pulse and HD and Wipeout PS3.

Dogg Thang
6th August 2007, 07:28 PM
I'm really not into shortcuts at all because they become totally self-defeating. If your laptime depends totally on the shortcut, then you simply have to take it.

That said, the skinny section of Anulpha Pass is one of my favourite bits. I love that it comes with risk.

zargz
6th August 2007, 08:06 PM
Don't like shortcuts a la 2097 and wo3 but this for me is not a shortcut, just a part of the track. 8)

lunar
6th August 2007, 08:14 PM
yes I`ve also always thought that it`s not a shortcut at all. There`s just a quick way and a slow way, which is only used on the last lap, in multiplayer, when you have a +5 second lead. :cake Or when some sneaky bomber has left his surprise on the top of the ramp for you. :mr-t

zargz
6th August 2007, 08:47 PM
yeh, that's not a short cut.
this is a shortcut - of the ledge, thru the buiding and thru the roof of the tunnel i.e. out of the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F_UkcCVldk
actually not that well performed. you can land further in to the tunnel. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ninja2.gif

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice vid. However, when I race, I keep my ship planted to the ground.... or however well an antigravity ship could plant itself to the ground.

Rapier Racer
6th August 2007, 10:30 PM
I like the shortcut like that of Anulpha pass it can be a little tricky to plant your ship on the ledge if your jump off the track is a little rough, practice makes perfect though once you master getting onto it it then all becomes a question of do you want to take the risk? Are there mines or a bomb up there that will knock me off and cost me 4-5 seconds essentially killing your chance of winning when playing online. More like that are planned for Pulse I read correctly? I approve of this kind of 'shortcut' but not the old 2097 WO3 lets fall through the tunnel roof/go through the building type cuts.

Xan17
7th August 2007, 12:15 AM
What I do is I use the D-Pad just for that pass. I find I fall off less than if I used the Analog. When I go pass the way, I switch back to analog.

phl0w
8th August 2007, 12:55 PM
Well, I played Anulpha Pass alot yesterday (~200 laps) and tried various lines and stuff. After a while I didn't even have to correct my line on the ledge (except for the last TB on the left side) anymore. Coming from the displaced double Turbo as far inside as possible you just follow the camber of the track and eventually hop onto the ledge, pressing your nose down as hard as you can. If it looks as if you're about to overshoot the ledge you're actually on the correct line, since the first section on the ledge is tilted to the left and your ship will straighten out just from the camber. In this test of courage you just keep your nose down and don't steer, the following tilt to the right counter-balances your ship keeping it straight. Steering on camber angles on straights results in your craft's behaving funny. Just give in to the flow :rock

Dr. Angryman
8th August 2007, 01:12 PM
Well, I played Anulpha Pass alot yesterday (~200 laps) and tried various lines and stuff.

200 laps? Wow. I can never get passed 115 without dying of boredom....

Anyway, nice "how to" for the circuit. I'll need that on the time trials! ;)

zargz
8th August 2007, 04:07 PM
and i thought I was so great when I did 50 on vineta k. yesterday!
mind you that was enoght to learn that track! :D

Asayyeah
10th August 2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F_UkcCVldk
actually not that well performed. you can land further in to the tunnel. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ninja2.gif

Al showed me a new tip you can even cut the last S part with an AP + hyperthrust...that's fantastic to see.
Shortcuts i will always love them no matter everyone hate that, i found them rewarding when you discovered them for the 1st time and the time you spend on mastering them at perfection to let you have those pure moment of free flying happyness :)

Flashback Jack
10th August 2007, 12:39 PM
200 laps? Wow. I can never get passed 115 without dying of boredom....

It's not uncommon for me, personally, do do 400-500 laps at a time. And that's my average.

- F

Dr. Angryman
10th August 2007, 10:35 PM
I do 400-500 laps at a time. And that's my average.- F

:o

You must be a racing GOD! ....or a huge nerd. :p Mostly, I set my personal best times on Free Play, especially on Anulpha Pass and Karbonis V.