PDA

View Full Version : Machine guns

Sven
20th June 2002, 03:00 PM
what's the deal with the machine guns? there's that code to use them, and I was wondering if there was a way to get them by actually playing the game. I think that would be awesome.
What's the deal with those things anyway? I'm thinking it was a weapon they put in, but it didn't work right, and they didn't have time to fix it before release, so they made it a code instead.
In any case, I would say it's a very useful weapon. It can take down a craft in like 5 shots. and it even has a slight kickback too.

r007
17th July 2002, 12:01 PM
Hi!

I think no one has found one in the game without using the Code, yet. And probably mobody ever will, though it would be very funny if one discovered that waepon in-game.

I don't think they really wanted it in the game. It would be unfair, anyway. They would've had to implement some sort of Ammo count for it... Perhaps they needed it to test the "contender eliminated" Sound :) ... I don't know.

I raced several games with the machine gun and found it quite boring. There's no fun in being able to shoot down all your contenders. The "real" in-game weapons are way more fun. Don't you like Quakes, too?
I also found the recoil rather annoying... You can't gain real speed when firing the MG.

PS: The MG is the only weapon a Piranha can carry. That makes that team nearly unbeatable, i think... Such a powerful ship with that weapon... No, thanks...

My .02 €
Cheers, r007

JABBERJAW
17th July 2002, 09:40 PM
I believe it's unbeatable anyway. No other ship is even close

r007
18th July 2002, 06:50 PM
Well... OK, Zoolander. You're right. It's unbeatable even without MG, but that wasn't the initial discussion, was it? :wink:

BTW... Would you actually use the MG when playing Piranha? I like it better to concentrate on racing than on shooting down enemies. When playing Piranha, at least.
(Just like Piermont said, quote: I do not believe in craft and pilot, weapons and shields, attack and defence. Everything is part of the whole, and that whole is the pursuit of magnificence. Unquote.) :D

So long,
r007

JABBERJAW
20th July 2002, 12:00 AM
It just bothers me while I am racing. I ditch every weapon anyways except for autopilot or turbo. The rest just make ships stop in front of you

Task
22nd July 2002, 05:56 PM
If you use Missile or Rockets on a ship when it's right infront of you, it launches up into the air (spinning out of control and all that) and you go under it.
So I find those weapons useful on occasion.
And Quake I just use as soon as I get it, on the off chance that I'm far enough ahead that it'll rock the ships in last place.
And Mines are good to drop immediately just in case they last long enough for the craft behind you to go over them.
The energy pak is always good.
Shields I guess can be annoying because you hafta cancel them to use the weapon you pick up.
Still, on the whole, I can't see the benefit to dropping all in search of Autopilots and Turbos.
How is dropping better than usage?

JABBERJAW
23rd July 2002, 11:08 PM
YOu have more chances to pick up other "performance enhancing weapons" and the ships do stop in front of you(especially with multiple opponents being lapped) IT's easier to just go around, although I do drop mines and fire locked on missles backwards.

Vasudeva
24th July 2002, 11:51 AM
'Tis true that a superbly skilled pilot with a Piranha will beat every other contender. However, here at home my brother and I used to have "time trial battles". I couldn't master the Piranha ship (I never liked ships with a handling that slick - I need raw power and a forceful powerslide 8)) and he couldn't master the Qirex. And we often beat each others' times despite the fact that he had the Piranha.

My opinion simpy is that it takes more skill to fly a Piranha in 2097 than it does in, for example, Fusion.

Peace,
V.

AmigoJack
24th July 2002, 11:53 AM
can i activate the gun somehow with the saturn version?

Wiseman
26th July 2002, 08:19 AM
Well, I found this code.. couldn't tell you if it works though, but you can give it a shot:

"Hold L + R + Down and press 2*X during game play."

AmigoJack
26th July 2002, 02:36 PM
works great :D thx wiseman

a green fading screenflash indicates the cheat is working. i wonder if im able to shoot down ALL the contenders - my highest so far is 10 eliminations...

JABBERJAW
27th July 2002, 02:24 AM
Vas, all that means is you are the better pilot by a longshot :D

Vasudeva
27th July 2002, 08:41 AM
Lol, well thanks Zoolander, I'll let my brother know :D.

Peace,
V.

JABBERJAW
27th July 2002, 09:40 PM
and your right, it does take much more skill to not hit with the piranha in xl compared to fusion.

AmishRobot
31st August 2002, 11:53 AM
It just bothers me while I am racing. I ditch every weapon anyways except for autopilot or turbo. The rest just make ships stop in front of you

Wait a minute...

You use the autopilot? :o Say it isn't so!!

(Yeah, I know this post is a month old... I just caught it. Sorry about that.)

Lance
31st August 2002, 03:44 PM
yep, i recall seeing a post several months ago where Al mentioned using autopilot at Manortop

AmigoJack
31st August 2002, 07:04 PM
simply :roll:

JABBERJAW
1st September 2002, 01:36 AM
I haven't played it for a while, but as I recall, in order to use your turbo properly to the maximum advantage in race mode, you need to use autopilot two times on the turns, otherwise you run out of turbo too early. Obviously, you can't use it on TT.

science
12th September 2002, 08:38 PM
yep, i recall seeing a post several months ago where Al mentioned using autopilot at Manortop

...i remember.
the SR records reflect it. (NTSC)

Vasudeva
12th September 2002, 09:46 PM
I use the same tricks at Manor Top. Blisteringly fast ;).

Peace,
V.

JABBERJAW
12th September 2002, 10:59 PM
I sat down a few months ago to try and beat the time. I knew I would need a few days to beat it, but never got to the second day. Although the game was enjoyable again. Probably won't try it for a while again at least until I'm done with quantum redshift.

Harvai
7th November 2002, 07:03 AM
Yes, the Pirahna can use the MG. nothing beats a pirahna with an MG!!

Mano
15th November 2002, 10:38 AM

Nah i never liked much the autopilot thing, we would have been better off with a weapon like an em pulse that like disrupted the ag capabilities of the contenders and making them skate and skid contacting the track, losing a bit of control, think of it as an evolution of the electro bolt. Psygnosis can use that idea if they (or whoever has the franchise now) promise to contract the designers republic again for the next game ;), and also something more in the vein of xl, lets face it that game reeks in good design, i dunno of favorites, but xl is the one that has better ambiance overall, everyting fits so almost perfect. Besides the autopilot is too much of a lazy thing and always kinda took me off the immersion i was when playing

About the contenders stopping in front of you when hit, i dunno, i think it fits the fast pace when you have to dodge em afterwards, and without aggresive weapons the game just wouldnt be the same, just ask the guy that made the intro for XL.

Also i have this idea for a special turbo animation in which part of the vehicle chassis blows off to lose weight and the thrusters go insanely bright, and the whole craft vibrates like a spacecraft re-enterig the atmosphere, heh maybe that would look better into something like f-zero (which i like also, but not as much as the wo series).

BTW, hi all, im new here, does anyone want to gimme a negcon as a welcome gift?

JABBERJAW
15th November 2002, 11:53 AM
I ditch them when I go for best times, not in multiplayer. I was just stating the fastest way to get around a track. If your spending your time shooting opponents, it gets more and more likely to run into them from behind, which is basically the same as hitting a wall. As far as autopilot, I was just saying what the fastest way around manor top(for me) is.

Lance
15th November 2002, 12:56 PM
hi Mano, welcome to the forums. um... i don't even have a negcon. i just use the D-pad on a conventional controller

DJ Techno
15th November 2002, 05:17 PM
I might have a negcon, if I could only fix the stupid thing :wink:

In the game, Wipeout 64, team Feisars special weapon is a Machine Gun, and if you have the Cyclone, an upgraded weapons system. You win by beating the the games Two in One Challenge "Racing and Weapons". You get this special weapons system, that makes average weapons and special weapons ten times more powerful.

Mano
15th November 2002, 10:17 PM
I ditch them when I go for best times, not in multiplayer. I was just stating the fastest way to get around a track. If your spending your time shooting opponents, it gets more and more likely to run into them from behind, which is basically the same as hitting a wall. As far as autopilot, I was just saying what the fastest way around manor top(for me) is.

So very true, misunderstanding there then, you were talking about fastest times, i, about the overall feeling of the game, i stand corrected.

Hi there Lance, its so great to have found this page and forums and to see its active, in my country (Peru) there arent many fans of the game, some ppl just like it, but beyond that, i havent found one soul here yet; around here the only things that get any playing are fighting games, soccer games, counter-strike, and starcraft.

Since the players nature here is that, and adding to the fact that this is a faraway from videogames sources and 3rd world country, wipeout xl for pc never came here, the only thing ive found is a disc that has an incomplete version of the game that has no movies and soundtrack, i will try to put the sound files and movies from my psx cd on the corresponding directories and see if that works; can anyone tell me what are the file extensions on both the movies and soundtracks? so i can convert the files into that format, also please the name o the directories. ah if anyone is willing to spare me from that and point me to a place where i can dl a complete version would be great.

For those who cant get wipeout xl on pc, the psx emulated one runs great on epsxe (best psx emu out there), and with the enhancements and all, i think it runs very competitive with the pc version; a plus is you can use an original psx pad on the pc with directpadpro 5.0, i dunno if it would recognize a negcon tho (darnit i would love one of those controllers)

Btw. i just read the whole topic on the origins and some explanation on the original wipeout.....great.

a litlle list of wipeout stuff i would love to get but cant find here:

Wipeout XL PC
Wip3out 3se
NEGCON ***

(sorry, i went a bit off-topic)

Lance
15th November 2002, 11:58 PM
mm.. well, perhaps you should have introduced yourself in the ''pilot's lounge'' section, since that's partly what it's for. ;)
but i can say hi anywhere. glad to see another south american here. there are only two that i know of, and the other one is inactive as a poster.

i don't know if you can get WO3SE to work for you without having a modified game console. does Peru use the north american NTSC television display standard, or the european-australian PAL, or something else? you could use an emulator, i suppose. different experience, though, i would think.

downloading a complete WOXL/2097 from the net may be impossible. the game complete with everything but the music used to be available as a download file of less than 12 megabytes. but that was a year ago. i could never find it after that. less than 12 megabytes! that always surprised me for some reason. high-quality 3d racing games ought to be within reach of portable machines.

negcon, smegcon. i shall never give in! analog controls are evil! eVil, i tell you!

Mano
16th November 2002, 12:24 AM
We use NTSC here, even the idea about us using a custom system aside PAL-SECAM/NTSC scares me, we prolly would have never seen a video game if that were the case!!; and yeah i was planning on running it on an emu; true its a different experience, but not better or worse than the actual psx, i actually would recommend ppl with a psx and a pc to try an emu (epsxe in this case), there are graphic and sound enhancements that improve the experience.

xEik
16th November 2002, 01:04 AM
.negcon, smegcon. i shall never give in! analog controls are evil! eVil, i tell you!
You should try the Dual Shock D-Pad. It's way better than the standard controller D-Pad which in fact hurts my left thumb after racing for long (I can play endless hours with my Dual Shock D-Pad 8) ).

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

zargz
16th November 2002, 01:28 AM
but i can say hi anywhere. glad to see another south american here. there are only two that i know of, and the other one is inactive as a poster.
my parents r fr chile so let's say 2 and a half! :D

Lance
16th November 2002, 02:52 AM
xeik, i use the D-pad of a MadCatz [a transparent red one]
the MC has a good shape, solid feel, smooth D-pad. the basic no sticks no shocks Sony controller is too small, too light, and too clicky for my taste

Wiseman
16th November 2002, 07:07 AM
Yeah, the DS2 suffers from those same problems, Lance (except maybe for the light thing, although it is pretty light).

I use the Mad Catz one's as well (DF2-Pro), but the problem I have with them is that they don't last. I went through 2 DF's in 1 year, then I got a DF2, and it actually lasted me for more than a year.

But when I was playing Vice City, it was done for, as Tommy wouldn't walk backwards anymore, and all the cars veered to the right (which means the analog is off calibration), so back to the store for another one.

But now they have a DF2-Pro, Pro meaning that they made it cheaper than the regular DF2 (which isn't for sale anymore) so I suspect this one will only last 6 months as well. :\

I wish they made another controller that has the same wonderful feel/grip that the DF series does. :(

All the other controllers I've seen are funky shaped, it's as if they never intended humans to actually use them. :\

Lance
16th November 2002, 07:32 AM
i like Sega's own design for the Dreamcast controller very much. overall the best controller i've used

Harvai
1st May 2003, 01:31 AM
All the other controllers I've seen are funky shaped, it's as if they never intended humans to actually use them. :\

just look at the Xbox controller! can anyone say "pie"?