PDA

View Full Version : Full list of clone tracks...

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2007, 12:46 AM
Posted for reference....

Klies Bridge = Talon's Reach
Qoron IV = Altima VII (at some places it does and in many others it does not.)
Sokana = Korodera
Dyroness = Karbonis
Machaon II = Gare D'Europa
Terafumos = Silverstream
Velocitar = Original.

q_dmc12
27th July 2007, 03:33 AM
hmm, not in US terafumos:naughty

Task
27th July 2007, 03:47 AM
It's been a while since I played it, but WO64 was supposed to be all the XL tracks in reverse.

Brother Laz
17th October 2007, 12:27 PM
I've played it some more recently, and:

Klies Bridge: mirror of Talon's Reach with a straight starting grid.

Qoron IV: mirror of Altima, but butchered beyond recognition. The entire second half (after the elevated banked corner) is gone, as is the initial chicane, and the crest has been flattened.

Sokana: mirror of Korodera, but much of the track has been removed. The part between the three bends after the starting line and the right hairpin leading into the tunnel is new, getting rid of some slow track with lots of kinks, a split and another elevated triple 90° section. Also, a mild chicane after the starting line has been removed and the starting line moved up, making room for the longer grid.

Dyroness: mirror of Karbonis; the only real change was the removal of the initial S-bend to make room for the longer starting grid and the pitlane. (By the way, unlike in 2097, I strongly suspect that the pitlane is in fact identical for each track)

Machaon II: mirror of Gare d'Europa, with one difference; the three bumps that grind you to a halt just before the jump have been replaced with a single bump that grinds you to a halt. I think the pitlane is less angular as well.

Terafumos: mirror of Silverstream! Too bad they neutered it. The layout is the same, but each of the three splits had one leg removed. Moreover, the second and third split kept the 'bad' leg and lost the 'good' one, making the track almost unrecognisable. Also, the 180°-90° double hairpin in the tunnel has been replaced with a single wide 90° corner, and the 90°-45° chicane at the end is now just a 45° bend, presumably to fit the starting grid.

(Then again, the starting grid had a kink on the original track in WO1. The '64 team must have been obsessed with straight starting grids and hated splits!)

Velocitar: woot, some original development. The only original development in the other tracks are the wide corners on Sokana and the ruination of Qoron IV. Needless to say, Velocitar sucks. They had to cheat with the AI to make it challenging, and you can exploit this by activating autopilot at the right time to receive a rocket boost.

lunar
17th October 2007, 08:23 PM
Good work! :+

nakamura
17th December 2007, 09:14 PM
I couldnt believe the lazyiness of this when i got the game years ago. I paid a fortune for it and was a crappy copy.

RJ O'Connell
2nd March 2008, 10:46 PM
I got it for a christmas present at age 9 and thought it was the most amazing piece of gaming for the N64.

My advice - stick with XL.

Axel
6th April 2008, 06:42 PM
I still love this game, the first game to bring me to the franchise so :P. I must admit though, for pure speeds, i have yet to encounter a Wipeout Tracks that works blissfully well in Phantom than Qoron IV.

DawnFireDragoon
6th December 2008, 01:53 AM
i just picked up a copy of 64 in my quest to complete every wipeout fully. i never knew about the tracks been clones, but once you know (and if you know the wipeout series' tracks well enough) it's pretty obvious!!!

i guess it made the games development easier...but hey it still works, the different environments give these tracks their own look and feel.

RJ O'Connell
6th December 2008, 04:24 AM
I never recognised Qoron IV as an Altima VII remix at first. Qoron IV just feels too easy by comparison.

DawnFireDragoon
6th December 2008, 08:02 PM
i know what you mean, it's like a flattened altima vii, kinda.

really great track though...i see why people like it on the higher speeds so much, flows nicely.

Darkdrium777
10th December 2008, 02:54 PM
It's really easy but it allows you to go at maximum speed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4nh9nztM6g) :)

DawnFireDragoon
10th December 2008, 10:01 PM
nice video, in fact that's the very video i watched on youtube a few months ago which made me decide to re-buy 64!!! the world is a small place.

psilocybin
26th August 2009, 11:13 PM
I find it quite amusing how people have said the one that resembles altima vii wasnt very recognisable because thats the only one I clocked for myself!

It was that big drop that made me suspect it, I guess I just wasnt being very observant when I was playing this lol.

Amaroq Dricaldari
29th October 2012, 07:48 PM
I hope it does't count as necroing if I post in this 3 year-old thread

Does anyone have floorplans for the WipE'out" 64 tracks as well as floorplans that they are copies of? I wish to be able compare them myself, but I have neither 2097 nor '64

keg_11
31st October 2012, 09:23 AM
F.E.I.S.A.R edited the Talon's Junction map to for it to resemble Klies Bridge (link here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?3202-Wipeout-Track-Plans&p=155097#post155097)); and I recall a Qoron IV map somewhere on the forums.

That's all that I know.

(I would assume it wouldn't be too hard, just editing the tracks W64 derived from. Velocitar would be the only exception as it is it's own track)

F.E.I.S.A.R
6th November 2012, 02:46 PM
Try Googling 'Wipeout 64 manual'. It's available online(not sure of the site,but I remember that I looked for it before and downloaded it before)

Amaroq Dricaldari
4th November 2016, 03:05 PM
I actually have the manual now, if anyone wants to see it.

I kind of wish I had a way to properly extract the game's contents and port it all over to 2097. My N64 emulator just doesn't want to work! (No, I am not giving out the ROM.)

EDIT: We have a pulse! (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8897-Extracting-WipEout-3D-models-(large-images-allowed))

aybe
19th February 2017, 11:53 PM
Theoretically this could work, since they mostly have the same formats.

There will be missing effects since vertex colors are gone in N64 files and they have been implemented differently.

However I'm pretty certain it would crash because of how they wrote the game : manual management of levels, i.e. animate this and this etc ... Even though it'd be well behaving code, you'd certainly end with a black screen and plugging a debugger would show the error messages they've emitted (because they do in PSX versions).

(see the leaked MK3 code for an example https://github.com/Ell/umk3 it's pure C so no OOP and that means lots of quick'n dirty code unless you have an army of coders)

Now on N64 you could simply end up with a black screen: there is so little space in the ROM that they certainly stripped many things not necessary such as text.

Just a guess, one should test for a definitive opinion.

One thing though, you will have to repack game content to an ISO because AFAIK none of the emus I've tried ran extracted games from a folder (e.g. EPSXE), homebrew EXEs do run because they do not use file system.

cybermodo
14th February 2018, 12:25 PM
I got into Wipeout world through this version. I am still completely amazed by the fact this cool game was packed in 6 MB zip file (compressed car rom image) !?? With cool music, voices & sounds. Awesome! It's absolutely unapproachable for any other Wipeout out there for any platform, I guess. It's that particular old-school coding doing this magic! Occupies space of one simple and plain MP3 file!

Few years ago I stumbled onto some N64's F-Zero fan mod ("Climax"), and wished something like that for Wipeout 64. But perhaps scenery was coded in more complex way?