PDA

View Full Version : Exostra Run - Advanced Tips Needed

Flashback Jack
24th July 2007, 01:08 PM
I need some strategy advice for Exostra Run (Phantom), particularly from you sub-19 second folks.

I suppose the main part of the track I'd like to get a technical feel from everyone is the first downhill right-hander. Do you carry inertia from a boost across the start/finish line and barrell roll down the hill, or do you use the boost pads instead? My own strategy has me barrell rolling down the hill and again inside the tunnel.

How about the final right hander that leads to the straightaway? Do you boost after hitting the speed pad?

Right now I'm at 18.93. Wouldn't mind some help closing the gap to Arnaud's top time.

Thanks,

- F

alterego
24th July 2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Flash, hi All.

I'm not so fast, but this is my line for the best lap:

After a void turn i reserve a turbo boost.
fire it after the last BP of the turn and before the start, but not so close to fly on the downhill (i prefer catch the double bp after the start)
the line if you pass on the double bp and the third bp are better for a first BR in the start of the tunnel.
If i make a br I do not pass over the bp in the tunnel and on the left bend pass over the bp and after it use the turbo.
pass over the bp before the second tunnel and on the double bp in the tunnel from this point it's only a question of bp and line in the last chicane.
usually i pass over the right bp after the chicane in TT, but in SR i prefer pass over the left one.
Last bp on the right bend and straight to the arrive.
that's all for me....;)

Read You Soon
CdRom

Frances_Penfold
24th July 2007, 02:59 PM
Hah, I have been playing Exostra Run a bit lately as well.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what folks have to say :p

Mad-Ice
24th July 2007, 03:34 PM
Hi Flashback Jack,

I try and see what I can do by giving some tips on this floathy track. The reason why I say floathy is because you have to try to keep as low as possible. Use pitch down a lot!!! With the boost from the previous lap to BR down the hill, keep low, after the ascension BR again, but pitch down. Triakis has the unfortunate manner to loose speed when it is not perfectly stable on the track. The most speed you can loose after the second BR in the tunnel, keep your line as straight as possible before you get into the left turn. This turn has to be taken very sharp on the inside. The next zig-zag or chicane turn downwards into the second tunnel is the most important place to keep your speed optimal. Try to take this turn down, in as many ways as you can to try and feel this turn, because there is only one way to hang into this turn to keep your speed optimal, I can not describe the exact line, but you will know it by doing it yourself. You will see the Triakis move so smoothly without it coming up or down in this tricky turn. Then of course hit every BP and use the boost after the last BP.

Good luck Flashback Jack to try and close the gap to Arnaud's top time, as long as you'll leave my top time for what it is right now. :D

phl0w
25th July 2007, 11:40 AM
Excellent topic. I wish there were strategies discussed for any of pure's tracks.
I nailed my first sub 19-time a few minutes ago thanks to mad-ice \o/ Just by taking the sweeper on the inside and it wasn't even a PL %)
Athough it sounds trivial, taking turns as tight as possible is more time saving than getting all your BRs right. I achieved my time with only one BR on the decline, using the BP uphill and the right one in the tunnel, setting me up to take the following sweeper perfectly with the use of only two sideshifts- meeting both BP. Stupid me missed the first of the 3 BPs after the corkscrew bend (don't quite have the feeling for that corner yet, approach it differently every lap) and the one before the finish line which doesn't atter though, just used the Turbo earlier. I don't wanna think about the "ifs" and the resulting time, had I managed to pull of a second BR and met the additional BP *sigh*

What I find extremely hard to do in Pure though is working with your ship's nose. Since the PSP's d-pad doesn't allow directional input, basically you can only pitch your nose when going straight ahead which requires a perfectly balanced Triakis, hard on Exostra Run, at least for me ;)

I'm off to my PSP again :rock

Flashback Jack
25th July 2007, 01:35 PM
New Record: 18.54

I believe this is the new fastest known Phantom time for Exostra. Correct me if I'm wrong. Used the usual equipment -- Triakis in the Phantom class.

Here's the skinny.

Blaze into your record-setting lap with an ultra last second boost past the start/finish line. Hug the right wall as closely as humanly possible (the right side of your craft should nearly be touching the billboards).

Barrel roll into the decline. DO NOT hit the speed pad at the bottom of the hill, as this will launch you too high in the tunnel as to cost you too much time. Barrel roll at the top of the hill. Having avoided the speedpad back at the bottom of the hill, you should have exactly the required height for the barrel roll and no more.

If you can manage to squeeze between the speedpads in the tunnel, by all means do so, but it isn't ultimately necessary. Before plowing into the left hander that follows, quickly set yourself up by briefly maneuvering somewhat to the right side of the tunnel.

Power into the left-hander, barely shaving the apex (wall). Hit the speedpad and IMMEDIATELY fire your boost. Make contact with the speed pad before the chicane. It is imperative that you find the smoothest line through the chicane, but the boost should otherwise make the slowest part of the track even faster than before. You'll find that the momentum from the boost makes for a rather fierce attack on the chicane, so you might have to let off on the throttle, but ONLY FOR A SPLIT SECOND.

From there, make sure you hit every speed pad that follows. Carve a nice round circle around the final hairpin. Sideshift for this, but do not let off the throttle. Coast to the finish line, holding forward on the direction pad for optimal aerodynamics.

Welcome to the world of Matrix-busting laptimes on Exostra Run.

P.S. It took me literally thousands of laps to set my record. I kid you not. I estimate I put in at least 3000 laps, perhaps more. Toward the end there, I was damn near seeing things in code, that's how zoned out I was.

However, I must say I've had a direct taste of the phenomenon that are the dedicated Wipeout players of this board. You folks are superhuman, man. I REALLY had to dig deep for this.

Ghost to be uploaded to Defaulted later.

- F

Task
25th July 2007, 04:08 PM
Wow, great results Mike!
That kind of extreme track experience will do wonders for you in a tournament. 8 )

phl0w
25th July 2007, 07:36 PM
I believe this is the new fastest known Phantom time for Exostra.
Isn't Madi-ice's record somewhere in the 18"20s?

Took me ~150 laps to get sub 19. I estimate another ~300 to come near 18"50
:cowboy

Flashback Jack
25th July 2007, 07:48 PM
Actually yeah. Suppose I should check the "time trial" aspect of the record database here. Radio button was still on Single Race.

Back to the grind then. Heh.

- F

phl0w
27th July 2007, 07:09 AM
Coast to the finish line, holding forward on the direction pad for optimal aerodynamics.

Since you use your Turbo between the tunnels, make sure to sideshift (maybe even two can be squeezed in?) after the final BP before the finish line, could shave off another tenth of your time!

Flashback Jack
27th July 2007, 12:43 PM
Most interesting. Sideshifts increase forward momentum? Well I'll be damned.

- F

phl0w
27th July 2007, 05:45 PM
At least mine do ^^
No, seriously, watch your speedometer as you do the sideshifts. It increases by at least 20kph. That's how heavy ships can gain momentum in long, sweeping corners.
I guess this is intentional, explaining the "cool down" of about .75 to a full second sideshifts suffer from, as you may have noticed.

Flashback Jack
31st July 2007, 12:55 PM
Down to 18.42 ("perfect" lap), a mere 0.02 seconds up on Arnaud, however I'd love to know where the hell you (Mad-Ice) found the extra 20 milliseconds in your run. Heh.

- F

phl0w
31st July 2007, 04:23 PM
perfect line, perfect line, perfect line
There's even a song in Pure ;)

And perfect use of the nose. Most crucial point, as I understand it, is the corkscrew bend in the tunnel. Lots of ways to take the turn but only a few won't cost you too much speed.

Flashback Jack
31st July 2007, 07:45 PM
Well, considering only 17 milliseconds separates the three fastest Phantom times, it's safe to say we've all found the optimal line save for an inch or two in the case of myself and Arnaud. Though it's a fast track, it's a tricky one that absolutely must be run with surgical precision if one is to achieve anything lower than 15.60.

So where you at? Last mention you were in the late 18s. Make any progress since?

- F

Airrider
31st July 2007, 09:37 PM
Crud, I forget my best time.

My strategy:

I just hit the Boost pads and concentrate on keeping a fast line without fishtailing or too much wobbling and such.

When racing with opponents, I think about the Exostra Run as if I were Kobato Hanato: Heal, heal, heal, heal the heart of your AG racer. Sacrifice every Disruption Bolt, ONLY fire Bombs or Mines if you're, say, 3rd or higher. I feel I use Rockets and Missiles sparingly: while it is true that you'll shove targets out of your way with a shot, with a track this short, space runs out between ships really fast. This means, if you're gonna fire off a Rocket...you'll either miss around a bend or connect at a distance so short that you'll ram your nose up your target's tailpipe. I use Missiles more often: they're long-range, have a homing capability, and you can set up a pass before your hit connects.
Plasma: probably better absorbed. Quake: fire with extreme prejudice.
Autopilot? Up to you, but it's a gamble to me.

Only barrel-roll over that hilltop if you've got the shield for it. That's why I absorb so many items and weapons.

I think Time Trial is just all about racing as clean as possible, so I use my Airbrakes sparingly and watch my Shield gauge often.

Finally, I prefer machines with muscle to them, like Auricom or Piranha. I've once used Triakis on the Run with good results.

zargz
1st August 2007, 12:32 AM
Well, considering only 17 milliseconds separates the three fastest Phantom times.. you got me :o for a sec but I guess you ment 100s of a sec! :)
and yes that's a pretty tight competition - just the way I like it!! :+

Flashback Jack
1st August 2007, 12:35 PM
New personal best is 18.29. Hit a wall exiting the final bend leading to the finish line.

Only a matter of time.

- F

mclarensmps
1st August 2007, 03:12 PM
bleh! alright, enough epeen boasting without me. I'm gonna start practicing for pulse, as well as to get myself back in my old shape for WO. :P

Congrats Mike, now I'm gonna try and get in shape to give you a proper run for your money next time we meet up :)

Flashback Jack
1st August 2007, 05:11 PM
Congratulate me when I take out the top dog's time, though I must say it's becoming a rather monumental challenge at this point. I've just about milked the Triakis for all it has. If someone manages to set the record lower than what it's at now, I'm confident it won't be beaten for a long, long time to come.

- F

mclarensmps
2nd August 2007, 03:29 AM
i started practising today, and will work my way up tracks, i am comfortable in my new ship now, so i expect to see some laptimes coming in soon enough. My migraine today, however, didn't help me clock in a good number of laps :(.

Also, I am forced to learn to use the dpad now because I just can't get BR's up consistently enough with the nub, though I am better at controlling the ship through corners with it.

Maybe I might employ a hybrid control setup haha, jsut move my hands all over the controller to get a lap down.

Mad-Ice
2nd August 2007, 06:16 AM
Wow Flashback Jack congratulations on your progress. You are really coming close and you are standing on the threshold to beat me. Next time you ask for advanced tips I have to think twice!!! ;)

Flashback Jack
2nd August 2007, 01:15 PM
I was comparing "notes" with Arnaud when he was with us in Canada the other day, and quite interestingly enough, we run the track in exactly the same way. That's to say we don't boost at the end of the lap, but rather after the first tunnel following the boost pad.

Other than that, I think the track is one's best teacher. Run it consistently enough and it'll reveal everything you need to know to set blistering laptimes on it.

Anyhow, it's getting mad difficult trying to better my 18.29 but I'll keep at it.

- F

Asayyeah
9th August 2007, 10:49 PM
:clap i am away from Pure forum and what i am seeing... 2 freaks kickin' my arse on Exostra .... Guys you shouldn't have done those insane scores , you know what's happening when i am upset and fight through multiplayer with you in the same room :naughty
Ah lala 2 members again who have lost their memory .... :sonar

Flashback Jack
10th August 2007, 03:26 PM
Know what's interesting though? The difference between 18.27 and your 18.44 is about the span of half a blink -- figuratively but perhaps literally. That's still nothing to sneeze at and we all know you're capable of equalling or bettering our times. From experience though, I'll say now that it'll be extremely difficult to do. Mad ran an absoutely BULLETPROOF lap with nearly zero mistakes. I unfortunately grazed a wall.

For kicks, I went back to Vineta K and I'm having a crazy-ass time trying to get within a whole SECOND of your time. Sometime I'll come back and put some intense effort into it.

Still working on Extrostra.

- F

Flashback Jack
17th August 2007, 12:43 PM
Old personal best: 18.29
New personal best: 18.28

A big, hearty LOL: Priceless

- F

phl0w
17th August 2007, 03:31 PM
So, how many laps did that hundredth take you? ^^

Flashback Jack
17th August 2007, 03:57 PM
A minimum of 3000 laps, more than likely exceeding that.

- F

Lance
17th August 2007, 05:41 PM
!^oo^!;

Mad-Ice
18th August 2007, 11:29 PM
You are a true dedicated Wipeout pilot!! :clapRespect to what you are doing! If there are no people like you, who else is going to kick Arnaud's arse? Except Al and maybe me on Pure.

PS: and he definately needs one!!!

Asayyeah
20th August 2007, 01:32 AM
A minimum of 3000 laps
Mike you crazy, you know that? :p

Matthijs it's not maybe you in Pure , mate, it's surely !
I m almost glad you didn't destroyed my shitta lap phantom same for seb climb ( was it by Pure correction you saved them? ;) )

Mad-Ice
20th August 2007, 06:19 AM
Mmmm, surely, that sounds good;)

About shitta and seb climb, waiting for the right time and the right place!8)

Flashback Jack
20th August 2007, 02:14 PM
Mike you crazy, you know that? :p

Just determined. I'm able to concentrate for LONG stretches of time, and I have unlimited patience.

Figure I'll head up to Sobenco Climb when or if I edge out Ice's Exostra Record. :)

- F

Rapier Racer
20th August 2007, 07:15 PM
Unlimited patients, even on Kai? What if you were destroyed 3 races in a row

Flashback Jack
20th August 2007, 07:27 PM
Unlimited patience.

I play racing games strictly for the science of hotlapping. It's always been that way for me. Truth be told, I think the weapons in Wipeout get in the way and I'm not a fan of them, and as a result, tournaments and single races are not my prefered modes in Pure. I aim for the fastest lap, period.

- F

zargz
20th August 2007, 08:41 PM
how about racing you friends with the weapons off? 8)

btw can you do that in multiplayer?
:?

Rapier Racer
20th August 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes you can race without the weapons in multiplayer, how tragic, there is nothing more boring than time trial, plenty of other racing games out there without weapons you know

stin
20th August 2007, 10:54 PM
Yes we can race without weapons but as RR stated, yes it is pretty boring. But we do prefer fighting to each other to make it more exciting.

stevie:)

Asayyeah
20th August 2007, 11:33 PM
Agreed 100%. Besides, you can have a fast & fighty race in whom you combinate speed adrenalin and tachycardia when surviving to chaos.

If they weren't weapons, WipEout won't be the same.

Flashback Jack
21st August 2007, 12:37 PM
how tragic, there is nothing more boring than time trial..

In my eyes when it comes to racing games, there is no art deeper and more subtle than that of hotlapping. Tragic? Negatory. My jaw drops at the sight of a complete and total wringing out of a machine's capability on any given track; the thought of a perfect lap tickles all my errogenous zones. While someone might be extraordinarily skilled in weapons-based multiplayer, I personally reserve highest praise for those that push games like this to the breaking point, speed wise.

And thus concludes my sermon. :)

- F

Task
21st August 2007, 01:17 PM
8 D Great response!
I too belong to the church of Time Trial, I'm just more of a Race Time guy than a Lap Time guy.

Weapons are the tools I use to keep up with people who are faster than me, is all. 8 )

Mad-Ice
21st August 2007, 04:49 PM
Interesting discussion!! Eventhough it is off topic! For me Time Trial is the way to perfect a raceline. Okay hotlaps are superb and they are looking cool into the recordtables, however I think it is even more great to be able to make five superb laps in one race in phantom speed! To be able to see 5 laptimes underneath each other with only 0.1 sec. difference is Wipeout Walhalla for me.

I really like Single Race in Wipeout too, there is much tension and adrenalin going on in that too especially because of weapons. But if I have to choose between these two game modes in Wipeout I choose TT.

If we talk about Single Race or Time Trial in ad-hoc or infra-structure, then we are talking about a total different chose. Here I will choose Single Race easily, because there is nothing more exciting then competing with real persons.

On topic: sometimes it is better to leave a specific track for a while, (talking about Exostra here) and focus on a lot of different tracks to learn more about your ship in other situation. If you come back to the first track then you will know if you have learned something new.

zargz
21st August 2007, 09:17 PM
If the contenders are evenly matched/skilled a Weapons Off Race could be exiting
with all the shoving around an stealing the perfect line.
That's closer to contemporary racing i e WTCC and NASCAR 8)
I done it only with 2 players http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCGsRQtX0Ds
and that was exiting enough but with Pure and kai here I'd like to try it with Four players! :o

Task
22nd August 2007, 12:11 AM
Yes, exactly. IF they're of equal skill, THEN a pure TT can be really good.
When they're not though, that's when you need to have the weapons available. With good weapon usage a less skilled pilot still has a solid chance of victory, in a pure TT race that possibility really isn't there.

Which is why I'm so glad that Pure has all the options!

Back on track though, I'm wondering if Jack has decided to call it good at matching the hot lap of Mad-Ice and is going to move on to a different track...

Flashback Jack
22nd August 2007, 12:32 PM
Not yet. The record can be beaten. Two days ago, I pulled an 18.30 and that was after missing one boost pad. I am quite close. I'll tell ya though, he has set a record that's incredibly close to the absolute limit of what's possible on this track. Phenomenal is what it is.

- F

Lance
22nd August 2007, 02:03 PM
Sounds like what Medusa achieved at Karbonis V in WO1.

Flashback Jack
23rd August 2007, 12:35 PM
Success. Finally.

Here's my final push. As you can see, it took serious focus to get within shooting range of the record. 340 laps in, I was on the board. In the end I'm up a mere 0.01 on Ice's tremendous lap; the difference between our times is roughly 1/4th of a ship length. Still, surpassing his laptime was extremely difficult. I literally put in at least 8,000 laps to do it. Good times, Mad Ice. Thanks for putting me through hell. :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1032/1213656624_fdf65e9de2_m.jpg

Ghost to be uploaded when or if Def's site comes back online, or to Rapidshare if it isn't up soon.

- F

lunar
23rd August 2007, 01:20 PM
Congratulations Flash! I wonder where you`ll go next, and I bet the mad bad pad man does too. ;)

zargz
23rd August 2007, 02:22 PM
Ghost to be uploaded when or if Def's site comes back online, or to Rapidshare if it isn't up soon.you can ul them here on the woz as well - go to mywipeoutzone --> my files --> upload. then you post a link. 8)

Frances_Penfold
23rd August 2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, Jack-- very impressive! I'm with you in thinking that time trialing offers the best experiences in racing games... just you, a vehicle and the track! Sometimes I do my best thinking while time trialing :)

So a question-- so far my time trialing in Pure has been done in Time Trialing mode, hadn't thought of using Free Play! Does the game automatically count and save record lap times achieved during Free Play to the Time Trial records?

Flashback Jack
23rd August 2007, 03:03 PM
Based on what I've read around here, Time Trial and Free Play modes are equivalent. If I'm not mistaken, records in the game done in Free Play are saved under Time Trial. The only difference between the two is that there's no upper limit to the number of laps that may be run in Free Play.

Yes, the game automatically counts the lap and gives you the option of saving ghosts.

- F

Frances_Penfold
23rd August 2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks, Jack-- I can understand why you focused on the Free Play! Don't have to worry about reaching the 3/4/5 lap limit on Time Trial mode, and can just keep running the laps.

I'll have to try that sometime soon!

Flashback Jack
23rd August 2007, 06:43 PM
Congratulations Flash! I wonder where you`ll go next, and I bet the mad bad pad man does too. ;)

Well, perhaps he'll follow me over to Modesto Heights so we could put a stop to Arnaud's dominance (21.77) of said track. :)

- F

Asayyeah
25th August 2007, 02:46 AM
he has set a record that's incredibly close to the absolute limit of what's possible on this track. Phenomenal is what it is.
If you count in hundredths i ll say no
if it's a matter of tenths i'll say yes.

Funnily enough during those 4 days travelling all around the North Highlands Stevie and I haven t raced much , only 3 tours the first night and no TT till we came back this evening : on the last hour of the road-back-to-Bonnybridge i switched on pinkie and gave it a go, ok this is not perfect condition for racing while into a car but hey i wanted to play, i started quickly to set a 18.73 after 20 laps and ended by a 18.30 new PB at the end of the session . A very low 18 is possible from what i ve seen on that new ghost ( still using my own turbo in between the 2 tunnels and not at the end ).

Anyway, as you said Mike, patience has paid , congratulation for the new top spot on Exostra :nod

lunar
25th August 2007, 09:21 AM
18.30 in the car :dizzy You are incredible, Arnaud. Good thing those Scottish roads are fairly straight around there, no Welsh Citta Nuovas to deal with.

stin
25th August 2007, 09:40 AM
Technically yes but on the northern highlands is worse than shitta due really deep gorges. To come home is a fairly straight road.

On the topic, this mad asa nearly gave me a fright while I was driving which I nearly cause a crash at 100mph!:o why?, cos he shouted "YES!" while he was playing his psp!, but Linda did give her a row! ;)

stevie:)

Asayyeah
25th August 2007, 05:08 PM
18.20 :cowboy
missed the BP on that hill before entering the tunnel and also the last one of the track :O
I also not entering well on the 2nd tunnel the corkscrew one...
less than 18.00 otherwise?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1055/1241256955_434ffd03da_m.jpg

Flashback Jack
28th August 2007, 08:10 PM
Dangerous man, you are.

Just so happens I was camping out in the Modesto Heights hotel (the one overlooking turn one), when some dude on the holotube burst into an episode of As the Atom Spins to proclaim your breaking the record. That's when I informed my pit crew to haul the Big-T out of the hangar, strap her to the Wuss Wagon (TM) and transport that sucker back to Exostra Run.

18.24 and counting. Good thing is I'm consistently faster than ever; I think the short break helped my Exostra reflexes burn in.

- F

Mad-Ice
28th August 2007, 08:25 PM
Congrates first go out to Flashback Jack. :clap For beating my Exostra Lap. Then of course to Asa, you rock mate :rock:guitar

Frances_Penfold
29th August 2007, 11:26 PM
I like this thread :g

We need more time trialing battles while waiting for Pulse to come out!

Flashback Jack
30th August 2007, 01:03 PM
Precisly what I had in mind. Stay tuned for something along those lines in the Challenges forum. Working title is Flashback Jack's Track Attack. It's high time we woke up those sleeping lap records.

- F

Flashback Jack
3rd September 2007, 08:29 PM
18.20 :cowboy

Comin' for ya. Currently at 18.21.

- F

Flashback Jack
4th September 2007, 01:36 AM
18.19 (perfect lap, all speed pads hit)

Ghost (PAL) (http://rapidshare.com/files/53264988/Exo-FLA-1819.rar)

This one's for you, Stevie.

- F

Mad-Ice
4th September 2007, 05:23 AM
Congratulations again Flashback Jack, amazing score!! Your effort paid of! 10000+ laps!! And I thought I was the Mad man. :sonar

il_NIK
4th September 2007, 12:02 PM
Wow! Tech and trainin systems take a big jump ahead of me. And the fastest new pilot too… :cold

Now I’m preparing myself for the winter sport session, and winter sports are skiing, reading, painting and (above all) driving a wipeout ship!;)

I’m back in few days.:hyper

Flashback Jack: congrats and welcome here. In a few week I hope to begin the new sweet weekly PULSE challenge also with you :banzai

Asayyeah
6th September 2007, 10:30 PM
Gasp 18.19 ! the smallest margin and you did it ! congrats mate :guitar

Something's telling me the neverending story has not ended ( ermm not very 'british-ly correctly said' ):g

Flashback Jack
7th September 2007, 01:18 PM
Thank you kind fellows. The challenge was, for lack of better terminology, a bitch. I shan't rest on my laurels; I suspect somebody will reopen this one in short order. I just want to delay going back to that bloody chicane for as long as possible. LOL!

- F

Asayyeah
15th September 2007, 06:25 PM
Challenge reopend :p

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/1387036579_511eb83b04_m.jpg

Medusa
15th September 2007, 07:07 PM
Oh my goodness. That is unreal. Really unreal. Good job. :clap
Flashback, don't have any kind of attack over that.

Flashback Jack
15th September 2007, 11:34 PM
Holy smokes! 18.11? That's crazy! Know that I'll be back for this soon.

However Arnaud, in keeping with the theme of busted records, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know I destroyed your 123Klan time by a rather significant amount. See my Track Attack thread. :)

- F

Asayyeah
16th September 2007, 02:36 PM
thx Flash :)
btw you should upgrade your nickname to ' Phantom back Jack ' :p

i am still convinced a sub 18.00 is possible, i missed too much my land after the 2nd BR and goes too much on the outside right into that left bend.

Flashback Jack
16th September 2007, 11:06 PM
You must have absolutely blazed through the chicane to make up so much time if you didn't hit the left well. Describe your technique?

And are you boosting immediately after the boostpad or waiting a bit in order to carry more speed through the chicane?

- F

Task
17th September 2007, 03:18 AM
You should just get his ghost off him and follow it a bit.
Or is "doing" less effective than "learning" in this case?

Asayyeah
17th September 2007, 04:17 PM
18.11 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=585)

I think you may better understand by racing it rather than me explaining it

il_NIK
20th September 2007, 11:38 AM
Absolutely top time, Arno! :+

Trying your ghost I find your turbo choice the best one, so I improve my old time.

I think like you on the possibility of running Exostra under 18.

See all of you soon :D

Asayyeah
20th September 2007, 06:48 PM
Thx Nico :)
Your 18.33 sounds very promising mate, keep up the good work :+

The Gracer
26th September 2007, 07:06 AM
Wow, i really should have looked at this thread a long time ago! the thread name was misleading....i never imagined id read through a battle as intense as this!

you guys are incredible, you make me look like some sort of lame wanna-be pilot :p

Flashback Jack
26th September 2007, 01:16 PM
It isn't over yet either. I should be returning to this soon.

The madness continues (on other tracks) over in the Arena forum. We're currently working on Karbonis VR. Participate if you wish.

- F

Task
15th October 2007, 02:21 PM
Hey Jack, here's something interesting I noticed about my times:

Exostra Run - Phantom TT - Lap Time - Triakis - 0:19:80 - That gives me a 2nd on the tables, only 3/10ths behind Vic!

Exostra Run - Phantom SR - Lap Time - Goteki - 0:19:47 - That gives me a 2nd on the tables, only 3/10ths behind Arnaud!

Obviously not a true achievement, since all the action is on the EU tables where the time to beat is a whole second lower at least, but what I find interesting is that these are some of my best lap times and I haven't even really _tried_ to get a hot lap. Note I was in a Goteki for that SR. Autopilot through the chicane.

So I'm thinking maybe I should try. 8 )

So, you know, "A New Challenger Has Arisen!" and all that...

I don't see myself taking that full second off, but I think I might be able to grab 1st place on the NA tables at least. Temporarily, anyway. 8 D

Edit:
Woo-hoo! I did it!
Top of the charts, baby!
Phantom TT Exostra Run:
1 Jay West Canada Triakis 1:42:16
1 Jay West Canada Triakis 0:19:49
Yeah, I had to pull out the Triakis to do it, and I only beat their Goteki times by a fractional amount, but nonetheless I stole the top spots from Vic and Stephen. On the inactive NA tables. Yeah, not a big accomplishment really, but I'm pretty happy about it.

Flashback Jack
16th October 2007, 03:02 PM
So I'm thinking maybe I should try. 8 )

Now that you have entered the land of the uber fast, maybe you should take a crack at the EU records. Anything under 18.50 or so will be extremely tough to pull off, but I'm sure you could do it.

- F

Tokai
16th October 2007, 04:44 PM
Well, the time table of the NTSC version of Pure is quiet static compared to the one of EU version.
However, the only version I've of Pure (shame on me?) is the NTSC ...so I go on playing that one.

Usually I take a look to the time table of EU to see which is the "limit" to brake.
However...It seems that Steven Hunter is trying to upgrade his times recently...
Good for me ;)the challenge push my fastest times down...Even if I can lose the top of the chart :P

ps. Congratulation West!! ...However I'll try to beat your time :) (when I'll have again my psp in my hand :D )

Ciao!!

Task
16th October 2007, 05:15 PM
Ah, Mr. Alemanno I presume!
Your Zone ship performance gave me great hope for the longest time that I could avoid having to use the Triakis. Unfortunately, I'm just nowhere near as good with the Zone as you are! It's a bit too twitchy for my tastes. So I've sadly had to switch to the big T for record-breaking porpoises. (Speed Dolphins!)

Your Vector and Venom times are simply fantastic. I'd like a copy of those ghosts if I could get them off you! Heck, your flash lap time is pretty sweet too.

Jack: I dunno, at 19.5 I'm going almost as fast as I can. I'm not sure I could take a full second off no matter what I put into it. I'm likely going to switch over to EU shortly anyway though. Beating that one should give me all the extra flight time and track practice I need to get to the next level...

Tokai
16th October 2007, 05:43 PM
Ah, Mr. Alemanno I presume!

Yes ;)

Your Zone ship performance gave me great hope for the longest time that I could avoid having to use the Triakis. Unfortunately, I'm just nowhere near as good with the Zone as you are! It's a bit too twitchy for my tastes. So I've sadly had to switch to the big T for record-breaking porpoises. (Speed Dolphins!)

I've seen that almost all the best times are made with Triakis (in the EU chart seems to be so).
As I told to CD_Rom with private email, I prefer Zone for the same reason you don't like it :)
I prefer ships that are very reactive since I've unlocked Piranha in WO 2097.

As you avoid Triakis, I've always avoided Icaras in WO3...but I've to admit that ship is the best for fastest lap (ehm...well...I remember that Arnoud is extremely fast also with Quirex...but this is another story! :D )

Your Vector and Venom times are simply fantastic. I'd like a copy of those ghosts if I could get them off you! Heck, your flash lap time is pretty sweet too.

If you like to have my ghosts, I can try to send to you...but...as I wrote in my previous post, when I'll have again my psp in my hand.

However, actually I'm trying to improve my times in Sol2 . Steven Hunter is back on that time tables and his times were very interesting...so I've tried to beat them :D

Asayyeah
19th October 2007, 04:20 PM
Hey! Pierluigi , that is great to see you writting down here in the forum.
Italian team is becomming strong with 3 fast pilots ( you, Niko(ilnik) and famous umd-Rom )

Stevie will be hard to beat for your zone on Sol2 : this is his beloved track

Tokai
19th October 2007, 09:37 PM
Ciao Arnaud ;)

umd-Rom (he changed his nick ? :D ) a couple of mounths ago sent an email to me introducing himself and asking me to register to the forum.

I was away from here from long time...gommenasai ( :( ) but not far from the chart ;)

I will try to write (and read) more the posts on the forum since now... :)

About Stevie. I've noticed that his time on Sol 2 track in NTSC chart is better (for low speeds) than what he has done with the EU version...uhm...this is "scaring" me if you say that Sol2 is his favorite track!!
....but I'll try to do my best to improve :)

Everything in the meantime waiting for Pulse ;)

Ciao!!

Chill
20th October 2007, 06:07 AM
this is "scaring" me if you say that Sol2 is his favorite track!!

Agreed. Sol 2 is the easiest track of all... I think they should have kept the location in mid-air, but made a much more challenge... Their should be a reason why only the most skilled pilots were allowed to race Sol 2...

Task
20th October 2007, 01:03 PM
Their should be a reason why only the most skilled pilots were allowed to race Sol 2...... I figured it was because if you fell off the track, you were gone. And it wasn't all that tough to get to, just beat Alpha and you get it.

I think they originally had a different design for game progression where Sol2 was the final unlock.

zargz
23rd October 2007, 01:40 PM
I like sol2 coz there are no BRs there .. exept that very hard one, yes.

wasn't this an exostra run topic ? .. :o

Flashback Jack
24th October 2007, 12:34 PM
The barrel roll on Sol 2 is easy. Now, barrel rolling immediately after the start/finish line on Staten Park is hard -- ridiculously hard. I pulled it off once at the last Toronto meet, with a Feisar no less.

- F

Lance
26th October 2007, 01:43 AM
wasn't this an exostra run topic ? .. :o

Yes``

Flashback Jack
8th November 2007, 02:02 PM
Ran a bunch of laps on Exostra after a rather long hiatus and it's remarkable how I've managed to maintain my reflexes for this track -- very little rust to work off. In no time was I running mid to low 18s again. Just wanted to see if I could still do it relatively easily. Preparing for my comeback. :)

- F