PDA

View Full Version : 2097 coming to Playstation store!

LilMaggot
23rd July 2007, 11:20 AM
Sorry if this is old news, but Wipeout 2097 is comfirmed to be comming to the EU Playstation store this thursday. I'm sure it should be added to the other stores around the world soon enough too, looking forward to playing this one again. :)

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=508

Piranha5p33d5
23rd July 2007, 01:11 PM
Wikid!

Now if only Sony would get off their ass and let non PS3 owners who had a PSP download titles from the store. I dont have any rich friends nor do I own a PS3 to do the transfer. Sony is missing out on a ton of sales here!

Mad-Ice
24th July 2007, 03:57 PM
This one would really rock if it had ad-hoc mode. Because NeGcon and 2097 is the best combination. I just started it this past weekend (to feel a bit closer to the WWT). I mean with the Neggie. I beat all my previous times in one go. So to be able to play it on the go is funny but nothing more, same goes for the original Wipeout on the PSP.

If it supports ad-hoc I will be in Wipeout heaven!!!!:dizzy

LilMaggot
24th July 2007, 06:08 PM
The site says its comming to the store at the end of August now, guess we'll have to wait. :(

RJ O'Connell
26th July 2007, 02:43 AM
Jet Moto was released on the PSN store earlier and their in-game adverts were perfectly retained. (Mountain Dew logotype from 1996 and all!)

But the Red Bull deal for Wipeout XL was, to my knowledge, only for the PS1 version. When it was re-released for Mac OS X just a few years ago those Red Bull ads were nowhere to be seen. Will they be back in this PS3 emulation, for better or worse?? It would be interesting to see the "Gives You Wings" slogan added in for good measure...;)

Rapier Racer
30th July 2007, 08:39 PM
It's a straight port of the PS version. They should in fact remain

RJ O'Connell
31st July 2007, 04:27 AM
I actually have a new talking point on this:

Wave Race 64 for the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console. (By the way, awesome game for the N64.) The original had Kawasaki branding, whereas the VC version lost the rights to use it, so they replaced the Kawasaki and JET SKI signage with stuff for the Wii.

This is different than Jet Moto on the PSN, I have seen video of it and all of the in-game branding transferred over intact.

Of course, this IS a rather unimportant issue, but it is interesting to discuss. We'll see once Wipeout 2097/XL is out on PSN.

ixnine
13th August 2007, 11:38 PM
From what I understand, they're only releasing WipEout 2097 for pal, but no WipEout XL for the US. :(

Dogg Thang
23rd January 2008, 08:21 PM
Anyone know what happened with this? Unless I missed something, it didn't seem to come out on the PS store. Anyone have any news or info?

phl0w
23rd January 2008, 08:49 PM
Damn you, Dogg for reviving that thread! I got all excited when I saw it under "New Posts", I didn't look at the date of the starter's post, and thought it was this Thursday, meaning TODAY! :evil
Anyway, I don't know either. Maybe someone got it confused with WO, that actually got a release. Sure, 2097 on PSP would be awesome, can't imagine playing it without a neGcon though.

Dogg Thang
23rd January 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm sure with a sharp knife you could cut your PSP in two and do a neGcon mod.

Rapier Racer
25th January 2008, 06:28 PM
Could be waiting a while. Heres how they decide what PSOne games make it into the PS Store, they claimed the entire back catalog at one point but now and this is official, heres how it is done.

Monday morning, some important Sony building, boss walks in:

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen it's time to put the finishing touches to this months PS Store updates. All we have left to sort out is the selection of Playstation classics, so, with that in mind I need a couple of volunteers and will someone please pass me the top hat and a couple of blindfolds so we can get started."

Dogg Thang
25th January 2008, 06:45 PM
That makes sense. I think Judge Dredd was the latest to make it on. If I remember correctly it was pants and, more importantly, a light gun game. What were they thinking?

I've done a big of digging around and Wipeout 2097 and WO3 were both rated for release on PSP/PS3 last August. Yet no sign of them. This is why they should let you rip them from your original disc straight to PSP.

nakamura
25th January 2008, 10:54 PM
Same here I got all excited too! Surely it must be on its way. But the UK Sony store is poor compared to the japanese one.

Dogg Thang
26th January 2008, 07:10 AM
Is WOXL on the Japanese store?

nakamura
26th January 2008, 09:45 PM
No but some great titles. Tekken, Resident Evil 1+2.

To have a look delete temp internet files and cookies etc and go to playstation store and select region as Japan. Repeat to reset.

Triple Lei
27th January 2008, 09:29 PM
How do you actually buy stuff from a different-region PSN Store? :brickwall

CR4SH3D
28th January 2008, 08:09 PM
so its 2097 for psp? any idea on the price tag? im going to have to buy a bigger memory card :P

Rapier Racer
28th January 2008, 08:15 PM
If they release it, your looking at £3.49 for PS classics.

CR4SH3D
28th January 2008, 08:23 PM
awesome :)
what about wip3out SE? now that would be AWESOME with ad hoc

chri5
1st February 2008, 06:53 AM
damn I got excited for a moment. Really hope 2097 comes to the store.

Rapier Racer
1st February 2008, 03:01 PM
You know what with the way things are going I bet they miss 2097 and go straight to Wipeout 3 and not Special Edition either. I'm only basing that on they way they've been releasing the classics so far.

mdhay
1st February 2008, 08:30 PM
Hopefully, Sony might do an achievement system - so many points equals one free download? I really wanna play 2097/1 again!:(

Chill
2nd February 2008, 09:40 PM
I think they need to be Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 SE!!!!!! As I have both of these, but can't play them in their format!! :mad: So this indeed would make a huge plus for me...

Nadia Elenova
25th February 2008, 09:24 PM
Anyone knows if we will see 2097 in the psp store anytime soon?

RJ O'Connell
25th February 2008, 09:49 PM
You know what with the way things are going I bet they miss 2097 and go straight to Wipeout 3 and not Special Edition either. I'm only basing that on they way they've been releasing the classics so far.
Then again, Jet Moto 3 is already on PSN - the entire trilogy is now available, and while Jet Moto is a fine game, it's certainly not quite Wipeout caliber.

SCE will get around to releasing XL/2097, certainly. It's too important a game in the series to pass up.

ima_gin_e
2nd March 2008, 02:44 AM
I think if xl or 2097 was gonna be released, they would've done it already. The interest level in the game I'm sure is well-known. At first I thought they delayed it because they didn't want to eclipse pure and reduce potential sales. But after the long wait, and finally the release of pulse, it's clear that it's no where in sight... I guess I'll just excavate a psone copy from some where.

But, hands down, XL/2097 had the best level of immersion in the series. The art-direction, sensation of speed, sound effects, musical score are beyond comparison, and have yet to out done. It did so much with so little. Pure and Pulse, especially with portability, multiplayer, and deeper gameplay, are clearly more advanced in terms of engineering and technology. But, XL/2097 had this hypnotic effect and coolness that no other game before or after on any platform could match. It ranks as my favorite game of all time.

Blazing through the tracks in phantom with piranha at 1500+ mph, and outrunning missles and quakes, and lapping enemy craft desperately and manically firing at you every second, echoing accurately according to doppler-effect, and the screen shaking, and rain/snow flyiing at you, with loops of fury or landmass at crescendo, and nailing a new record time with perfect laps had to be the most exhilirating and memorable experiences in all realms of entertainment that I ever experienced... Get the picture. I guess you had to be there.

But if anybody from liverpool studio is reading this, I'd like to thank you for bringing back wipeout, even for fusion, as pure and currently pulse are as entertaining as they are meticulously well-designed examples of engineering and design. They are the reasons why I got a psp (and possibly a second one soon as my direction pads are warped), and HD is the reason why I got a ps3 instead of a 360.

SOLIDAge
12th March 2008, 05:30 AM
I hope to god the US PSN store gets Wipeout XL quickly.
The only reason I'm seriously debating modding my PSP was so that I can play XL and wip3out!

So i assume it is out for EU PSN store? since I can only find news that it was delayed.

Lion
12th March 2008, 06:24 PM
nope, still not out.
it's been through the PEGI rating system, so it has apparently been prepared for release, but there's no sign of it yet.

Nadia Elenova
14th March 2008, 09:26 AM
Weird thing: When I got a copy of Uncharted, Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 were listed in the Classic games section of a PSN promotional booklet, but only the original Wipeout is on the store.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/hostiaputa/WTF.jpg

Rapier Racer
17th March 2008, 11:12 AM
Maybe something went wrong.

Nadia Elenova
18th March 2008, 11:57 AM
Well, in fact they announced wipeout 2097 along with other PS1 titles in Jul 07, the booklet was printed in Oct 07. I don't know what to think.:(

I've just seen this too (the news is from a couple of weeks ago, Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out are on the list)

http://www.todojuegos.com/noticia-6655/Nuevos-juegos-de-PSX-en-la-Playstation-Store

Renegäde
18th March 2008, 05:28 PM
Theres also a new psp system update out today (3.93) that includes more support for Playstation Network titles. I dont wanna get my hopes up but it looks like theres something on the way.

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/psp/guides/detail/item97547/Update-features-%28ver-3-93%29/

blixabargeld
18th March 2008, 09:42 PM
Could be waiting a while. Heres how they decide what PSOne games make it into the PS Store, they claimed the entire back catalog at one point but now and this is official, heres how it is done.

Monday morning, some important Sony building, boss walks in:

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen it's time to put the finishing touches to this months PS Store updates. All we have left to sort out is the selection of Playstation classics, so, with that in mind I need a couple of volunteers and will someone please pass me the top hat and a couple of blindfolds so we can get started."

LOL judge dredd is really a ridicolous choice, it was the ugly brother of time crisis.
sony selection works like a blind football talent scout..

RJ O'Connell
19th March 2008, 02:30 AM
Well they did get Jet Moto series right, and the Destruction Derby games are ace. :D

But XL would definitely be a worthy addition.

JABBERJAW
19th March 2008, 04:59 PM
That was a nice description of XL earlier, except the speed is 492 maximum, not 1500 like fzero. Unless of course you use the autopilot speed cheat, which can get you to around 2300 or so :)

QuasarKoeben
21st March 2008, 05:23 AM
I'd be quite pleased if they did release Xl/2097 to the playstation network. I played XL but only rented it for week. Never got to play it again.........:pizza:bomb

AbstractPanda
22nd March 2008, 11:16 PM
I feel your pain. I rented XL way back when it first came out (I was 11 years old) That game was the coolest game I had ever played. I guess now I'll just have to go out and find a Negcon, a PS2, and a copy of XL/2097 on ebay. Ah, the things I do for Wipeout =D

Medusa
23rd March 2008, 12:28 AM
I am amazed at how rare the XL copies are on Ebay, compared to the number of 2097 copies available. I was going to pick up an extra copy of XL *just in case*. But wow, the competition is fierce! You can get 2097 for half a pound, but XL will cost $20! Guess I'd better be careful with my copy...I'll likely never get the download version - if there ever is one.

love9sick
7th October 2008, 05:37 PM
Wait....there is a difference between 2097 and XL? I always thought they are one and the same game :? ... I have XL the original for PSX or ...maybe it is 2097..since I thought they are the same thing. I hope it comes to PSN though, my CD is so worn out the music doesn't play and the CD takes a while to launch. That goes for Wipeout 3 as well but I can actually play it.

AG-wolf
7th October 2008, 05:45 PM
XL is NTSC, 2097 is PAL. NTSC version runs with a display refresh rate of 60hz and gameplay framerate of about 30fps. The PAL version runs with a refresh rate of 50hz and a gameplay framerate of about 25fps. Each games' in-game timer is tweaked to compensate for the different clockspeed, not to mention both games handle differently as well. Therefore there are two separate time tables for both.

Also, the only times valid for ranking are times from playing the physical media on the original console.

Lance
7th October 2008, 05:57 PM
The times on some racetracks and speed classes can be very similar for well-matched players, as Ben/G'Kyl and I found out during an informal cross-region competition, but, yes, official records on our site must be set with matching regions for the disk and console and records table.

DawnFireDragoon
10th October 2008, 01:33 AM
my housemate just got hold of a ps3 and he picked up drake's fortune, it came with a psn booklet, which had wipeout and wipeout 2097 advertised as been available on the psn, yet 2097 doesn't seem to be on there, so was the plan to release it ditched or something? anyone in the know on this?

Darkdrium777
11th October 2008, 12:33 AM
It would certainly seem 2097 was ditched because it hasn't show up yet. :(

Mano
11th October 2008, 03:03 AM
i am a dreamer and like to think they are retexturing the game and upping the resolution

more of a dreamer because i dont even have a ps3 :D ... but hey it could happen, it has been done before and the results have been nice (on other games)

G'Kyl
11th October 2008, 07:47 AM
i am a dreamer and like to think they are retexturing the game and upping the resolution

WANT!
;-)

but hey it could happen, it has been done before and the results have been nice (on other games)

Yeah, but then most of these games were mostly sprite-based - the re-doing of polygon-based games happens much more rarely. I'm still crossing my fingers! :) Even if it means we then couldn't play XL/2097 with our neggies...

Ben

Lance
11th October 2008, 05:44 PM
GASP
WO2 without neGGies??!?!!
[flops down into a chair and begins drinking whiskey straight up]

DawnFireDragoon
11th October 2008, 09:15 PM
a re-textured 2097 would be f-ing amazing!!!!

however going on the fact they ditched the ps2 port of pulse and didn't even bother releasing the pulse dlc in the sates i'd say we'd be lucky if the original ever showed up, let alone a jazzed up version :(

side note: any jazzed up version would have to be able to run on the psp too, so i guess that could also limit the possibility.

chri5
23rd April 2009, 10:28 AM
any more news/rumors about this?

Darkdrium777
23rd April 2009, 01:58 PM
No. Right now it's not happening :(

mdhay
23rd April 2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but then most of these games were mostly sprite-based - the re-doing of polygon-based games happens much more rarely. I'm still crossing my fingers! :) Even if it means we then couldn't play XL/2097 with our neggies...

Ben

Half - Life being the exception. (Though it remains a matter of opinion as to wether the HD Pack makes things look better.[The only things that don't look good IMO is the weapons, but I've got it on PS2, so I have no choice.:D]).

Amorbis
24th April 2009, 03:00 PM
my housemate just got hold of a ps3 and he picked up drake's fortune, it came with a psn booklet, which had wipeout and wipeout 2097 advertised as been available on the psn, yet 2097 doesn't seem to be on there, so was the plan to release it ditched or something? anyone in the know on this?

Quite true! I checked and it was there, but it was next to a few other games I don't see on the PSN store such as Crash 2. Here's a scan of the booklet (760kb) (http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ao/Leftovers/2097onpsn.png). My Uncharted is not platinum and was purchased in December 2007.

It's a shame, I really would like to play 2097 on the go without having to mod my PSP. I suppose WO1 will have to do, not that that's a bad thing.

kanar
25th April 2009, 10:09 AM
I agree Amorbis, but this is part of Sony nonsense marketing plan, AVOIDING by any means necessary, the release of all the psOne killer appz on the psn (& release boosted remakes...). I would be glad if for example, Sony tried to work with this kind of list : http://uk.psx.ign.com/articles/080/080401p1.html. I'm really fed up to see awful ps store updates each Thursday. I want my wipeout collection on PSP! & Tobal 2 too lol.

leungbok
27th April 2009, 07:32 PM
Tobal 2 is the best fighter ever for me !
But yes, 2097 should be a must have on psp ;)

micky1984
4th May 2009, 09:49 AM
iv just seen this

http://ps3.qj.net/Five-more-PSOne-Classics-spotted-on-ESRB/pg/49/aid/130966

kanar
4th May 2009, 10:00 AM
that's real good news!

micky1984
4th May 2009, 10:18 AM
yeah sorry for the muted excitement ;) i like how its not even mentioned in the article, XL is just skulking in the background

Darkdrium777
4th May 2009, 07:01 PM
Well, good news. If it does come out, I am buying it. This game rocks too much. :)

mdhay
11th May 2009, 08:40 PM
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:h yper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper
:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper

RJ O'Connell
14th May 2009, 01:59 AM
I know what I'm buying soon.

DawnFireDragoon
15th May 2009, 07:12 PM
hope this is true. and also appears in the uk ps store too!!!

go on sony suprise us and actually announce something wipeout related!!!

Darkdrium777
16th May 2009, 09:00 AM
They won't announce it. It'll just show up. As usual.

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 06:36 AM
It's a shame they can't re-structure the game to include two-player splitscreen or at least ad hoc multiplayer though.

mdhay
17th May 2009, 06:59 AM
That being said, I am now upset, as I am just about the only person in my year who actually buys stuff from the PSN.:D

Infrastructure, on the other hand...:hyper

RJ O'Connell
17th May 2009, 07:16 AM
It'll give new life to my PSP for sure, can't wait to take the frustrating darkness of Spilskinanke's tunnels to the dark screen of the PSP-1000.

mdhay
17th May 2009, 07:50 AM
That is very true, though at the end of the day, I'll just cheat and unlock Phantom and Piranha.*;)

*I will make a new, better Perfect Flight video.

stoneygate
20th May 2009, 09:32 PM
At the very least if they added analogue stick support I'd buy it in an instant too, even though I have the original PS1 disc.

WolfKill01
3rd July 2009, 11:53 PM
I was watching Attack of the Show the other day when I heard that playstation store is coming to the palm pre. When I glanced over, I saw that they were playing wipeout 2097 ON THERE CELL PHONE! Don't quote me on this exactly, I wasn't paying very much attention to it. But still, the idea of playing wipeout on a cell phone sounds pretty sweet.

BulletWraith
6th July 2009, 05:41 AM
you can get playstation emulation on the iphone aswell, it just happens to run better on the Pre

remember kids make sure you own it before you emulate it

-zer:donutshen