PDA

View Full Version : PS3 - Who's going get one for wipEout HD?

BaldyCurly
13th July 2007, 08:42 AM
Hi all,

I have a PS3 and I am sooooooo looking forwards to wipEout HD and then a full blown rewrite version some time next year too - wicked.

My questions are;

1) Who on here already has a PS3?

2) Who plans to get a PS3 for this game?

Cheers, Chris!

cybrpnk
13th July 2007, 09:15 AM
1. Nope...no PS3 yet

2. This was the exact news I was waiting for to get a PS3...:D

Bring on the next generation...

infoxicated
13th July 2007, 10:48 AM
Me!

Well, I'm getting one in time for Haze & Madden 2008, so when WipEout HD arrives it'll be ready and waiting. :D

lunar
13th July 2007, 11:48 AM
Not completely sold, because there will be Pulse at the time, and I might just wait a while, unless I just become possessed with desire to own it:rolleyes:. It depends for me on how the control is. Pure with stonking graphics might not be enough, but if I can get smooth, negcon-style driving I`ll be buying sooner rather than later.

Mad-Ice
13th July 2007, 11:49 AM
No I do not have a PS3 but for any WipEout game I will buy any console.

Dogg Thang
13th July 2007, 12:01 PM
While I love the trailer and reckon it will be fantastic, given I already have Pure and will buy Pulse the second it comes out, there would have to be much more on the PS3 to warrant the purchase. As it is, I'm almost exclusively a handheld gamer these days just due to the way my life works.

Frances_Penfold
13th July 2007, 01:10 PM
^^
I'm pretty much a handheld gamer as well. The good news is that with the PSP and DS platforms running at full speed, life has never been better for gaming on the go :)

No PS3 yet but seeing the Wipeout HD video makes my interest jump up 1000%.

My guess is that it's just a matter of time 'til I make the plunge, either in the fall or sometime next year.

borell
13th July 2007, 02:11 PM
If it was not for the poor backward compatibility, i.e., the lack of the Emotion Engine chip, I would consider a purchase every now and then. I am far from convinced by the combination of price and hardware of the PS3 currently offered in Europe.

Moreover, I wonder if there would be any annoyance involved by using the PS3 together with a regular TV.

On the other hand, I do not have to bother much in my current situation, and I am sure that Pulse will keep me distracted for quite some time. :)

I will probably wait until next year before I even reconsider, but it seems far-fetched that much will have changed at that point. :frown:

Sorry for the negative vibe.

BaldyCurly
13th July 2007, 02:23 PM
it's true to say you will not get the most out of a PS3 without a HD TV of some kind.

I remember when I blagged mate mates Xbox 360 and run it on my old Sony 32 inch CRT and I was less then impressed. Then I hooked it up to my Dell 30" flat screen via component and was shocked at the difference.

I am happy with the PS3 so far, I remember games being slow on the good old PS2 to start with so I am happy to wait, for now....

I love the PSP but you can't beat the big screen, Dual Shock, 5.1 effect IMO.

Dogg Thang
13th July 2007, 02:29 PM
Well I have a 360 on an SD TV and it still looks great. Of course it would look sharper on HD but it's still a massive change from last gen on SD televisions. I imagine the PS3 would be the same.

mclarensmps
13th July 2007, 03:43 PM
I dunno, I don't like the way the next gen consoles look on SD TV's, I had to further dent my pocket (I've had the PS3 since launch) when i realized the games looked not so great on my TV. My friend with a 360 did the same. Luckily since he works at an electronics store we got good deals!

Mark Of Insanity
13th July 2007, 04:26 PM
Well... as I've said somewhere else, I just splashed out on a new PSP... so no PS3 for me, I'm a poor little man.

I could buy one, but I know I would end up buying a 20GB version, when I really want a 99999GB one. Besides, I love WipEout, but I know where my loyalties lie, and that's why I'd rather buy a shiny new guitar than a PS3.
I need more titles to convince me, but I can't think of another title I love just as much...

Rapier Racer
13th July 2007, 06:45 PM
I have a PS3 and can't wait for HD. There might be a divide here I don't think I'd want to play Wipeout on a PSP if I was at home with my PS3 and Wipeout HD which has online multi player.

Did Sony not stop making the 20 GIG model due to crap sales of it in comparison with the 60 GIG one?

Hellfire_WZ
13th July 2007, 08:54 PM
Of course I am! There's an FAQ that needs writing! ;)

Dr. Angryman
13th July 2007, 10:29 PM
I've had a PS3 since last Christmas and it's awesome! 8) I can't wait until HD, but what I'm looking forward to most is the next "real" WipEout on the PS3. Can't wait 'til 2008! :hyper

yawnstretch
13th July 2007, 10:32 PM
I'll get a PS3 eventually but at the moment it's not looking great. The good stuff is indeed coming and the PS3 itself is impressive but I'll let it ripen some more.

Medusa
14th July 2007, 02:49 AM
I had to restrain myself from driving to Future Shop on Thursday when I saw the PS3 price had dropped to $550.00 cdn. It was tough. The problem is that I intend to use the PS3 as my up-to-date PC (mainly for web surfing and music storage) since the only games I really get into are of course Wipeout! And so I need an HD monitor to see the YD Linux properly. Which makes the PS3 actually a $1000 purchase for me. Ouch.
I will try to wait for the *real* next generation Wipeout game to purchase the console.

The Gracer
14th July 2007, 05:36 AM
I guess ill think about it. But i dont like it.

Dont get me wrong - i LOVE wipeout - but i really cant justify spending $1200 NZD on a console that i find inferior to a $700 console..

Sony needs to give me a VERY good reason to stretch that far - WipEout HD isnt enough for me. Sorry guys.... :(

Chill
14th July 2007, 08:05 AM
Waiting tell 2008. I work really hard for my money, I'll enjoy Pulse. When the so called "real" next-generation Wipeout comes out, I'll get the PS3 along with HD then. Pulse should be hard enough to take up my time from Sep. on...

Dr. Angryman
17th July 2007, 02:47 AM
I think that, with the strong line-up of games for the next months, that the the PS3 is going stronger than it ever has. Sony just need to work out a smart pricing plan. The temporary cut just doesn't do it. They need to price it somewhere in Xbox 360 territory. If they cut the price of the 60 gigger another 50 dollars, the profits for Sony might be immense. If they cut it another 75 dollars... (dreams of the many people who would rush to the nearest Walmart for a 424 dollar PS3.) :)

Oh, almost forgot. Also cut the price in Europe and other countries. That would be phenomenal.

DawnFireDragoon
22nd July 2007, 02:58 PM
I am only interested in the Wipeout series and the final fantasy series, so i'm in no rush to buy one just yet, i have a xbox 360 which is great, halo 3 out soon :) so with ps3, i think i'll wait for the slimline decent version in a couple of years (i'm sure they'll be thinking about it already), seriously sony europe has screwed us over with the price and spec of the machine here. :(

Ota
22nd July 2007, 05:00 PM
Really 2008? I read something like TBA 2007 for europe at least. I own a PS3 already and sure wait for HD now. Hopefully the Sixaxis control will be better than that of Motorstorm.

Chill
22nd July 2007, 09:02 PM
I am only interested in the Wipeout series and the final fantasy series

Not to far from how I am!!! Except their are the little games "on the side"...

DawnFireDragoon
23rd July 2007, 04:12 PM
Wipeout Series
old sonic
old mario
final fantasy
colony wars (a remake / next gen version / movie trilogy would be ace)
gears of war
halo series
time crisis series
f-zero series
extreme-g series

that's about it, i guess, potentially a few reasons could be found from that list to buy a ps3, time crisis 4, wipeout hd, wipeout ps3, final fantasy xiii, don't know if they have plans for any more extreme-g games....and as far as i know colony wars is done with...shame.

jetcx
28th July 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm still on the fence. The price is still a bit high. And you need to factor in the HD component of your home entertainment system, as mine is not HD yet.

The videos of wipeout HD though make a convincing argument!

Now would you say that it is worthwhile to get the PS3 with hardware accellaration for PS1/PS2 games?

phl0w
28th July 2007, 02:19 PM
PS3 uses software emulation, otherwise it couldn't use an upscaler. But still a big "no" to PS1/PS2 games justifying a PS3 purchase.

Rapier Racer
28th July 2007, 05:17 PM
i think i'll wait for the slimline decent version in a couple of years

By which time your 360 will be obsolete and you'll be getting the Xbox 720 shoved down your throat whether you like it or not

Dr. Angryman
28th July 2007, 07:27 PM
And don't forget that Nintendo would make a functional virtual reality program for $20 by that time. ;)

Can anyone say: It's wiily, wiily wiil!

mclarensmps
31st July 2007, 04:14 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/807/807856/gran-turismo-5-images-20070725102014172.jpg

This is the kind of graphical power you get with a PS3. (That is an ingame shot)

If that is not convincing enough, take a look at this:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/807/807856/gran-turismo-5-images-20070725102019531.jpg

benjahman
31st July 2007, 05:31 PM
Damn!! Don't tell me that this pic http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...5102019531.jpg is an ingame capture, I won't trust you!

RJ O'Connell
31st July 2007, 06:32 PM
Granted, there have been PS3 games released that aren't even close to that kind of graphical prowess, and Gran Turismo games on the PS2 were really pushing the limits of what the console could do (I can't say that for the ones on PS1 since both looked like utter, blocky, over-pixelated crap, but were fun to play.)

Wipeout was that standard of beauty, speed, and enjoyment on the PS1 and now on the PSP, hopefully that will translate entirely to the PS3 once the final product is finished.

mclarensmps
31st July 2007, 06:42 PM
Damn!! Don't tell me that this pic http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...5102019531.jpg is an ingame capture, I won't trust you!

It's an ingame capture.

neochrome
31st July 2007, 07:01 PM
Got a PS3 and a HD TV - just waiting for Wipeout HD now, I even bought Wipeout (1) to play on it and Fusion
What I really want is Wip3out 3SE to come to the sony online store, as the game just crashes when you stick the disc in :(

mclarensmps
31st July 2007, 07:41 PM
that, and 2097/XL :)

Rapier Racer
31st July 2007, 08:12 PM
That link doesn't work, Fusion doesn't work, and also as much as I'd like to see 3 SE on the PSN, I have to doubt it will ever see the light of day and plain old 3 is all we will get. It would make sense to release SE though for all those who missed out on a copy or live in USA and were deprived of this treasure!

mclarensmps
31st July 2007, 08:42 PM
ya benjahmin's link doesnt work by my ones do! you should check those ones out.

locus2k
1st August 2007, 02:29 AM
you have to remember programming for blu ray is different than anything else and leads to challenges. Look at the progression of how well the games looked from wipeout to wipeout 3... all on the ps1 and all significantly better than its predecessor. Once programmers know exactly how to utilize the ps3's capacity i imagine the games will look exceptionally awsome.... Even with some of the games that are new like ac4 and rr7 those look great.

Egg
1st August 2007, 10:44 AM
Of course, if you have a 360 rather than a PS3 - and you're a fan of the colour brown - you could always try this:

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/30-07-2007-6113.html

benjahman
1st August 2007, 11:13 AM
It's an ingame capture.

wow!! really stunning. So I think that wipeout HD is far to exploit all the capabilities of PS3 Cell Processor, the next gen Wipeout will certainly be fantastic. Personaly, I will wait this event before to buy a PS3.

stin
1st August 2007, 12:59 PM
Egg, that link you showed us. That`s looking pretty cool and dark. And will be release autumn 2008.

Is that called Voltage, right?

stevie:)

Dr. Angryman
1st August 2007, 02:16 PM
The Xbox 360 uses brown to make it more realistic. Nice, but not my cup of tea. The PS3 sacrifices brown for mose clearer pisture and a farther range of focus. YEAH! :)

benjahman
1st August 2007, 02:47 PM
Of course, if you have a 360 rather than a PS3 - and you're a fan of the colour brown - you could always try this:

Thanks for the info Egg, you remind me one more time to not buy an Xbox 360, the ships look like sardines cans and it's really easy to make a game realistic when you can't see anything!!
You have to get the skills to if you want to copycat a wipeout serie, not that easy...

swift killer
1st August 2007, 03:00 PM

:mr-twhat a load of crap!:mr-t
its just another Wipeout wannabe like XGRA, watch people ignore it

mclarensmps
1st August 2007, 03:00 PM
That game does look like an interesting tryout egg, cheers for posting!

Dr. Angryman
1st August 2007, 03:17 PM
@ swift killer: I don't think Voltage is that bad.... Be a little open minded.

T!MMUS
4th August 2007, 09:03 PM
Nah all tho' i like the idea but i think it should stay SD (standard definition)

Chill
6th August 2007, 12:02 AM
Reminds me of the first Wipeout in a way... with it's overall color style and stuff, don't mind me, but I like it. It's graphics are no where as good as Wipeout HD, but I still like it. ;)

djb
6th August 2007, 01:43 PM
ill be waiting for a try of the controller, if it isnt as immersive as a negcon ill be giving it a miss, no matter how good it looks.

LilMaggot
6th August 2007, 01:48 PM
Voltage might end up being good, I'll keep an eye on it to see how it turns out.

Anyway, I got my ps3 on march 23rd, eu release date. I wouldn't say I bought it for wipeout, but that was a big thing in making me choose the ps3 over any other console. My PSN ID is LilMaggot if anyone wants to add me. :)

Dr. Angryman
7th August 2007, 05:44 PM
Still, Voltage is nowhere near WipEout! :)

swift killer
10th August 2007, 01:43 PM
im still kind of sceptical on whether or not WipeOut will be a killer app on PS3, dont know what it is, theres also alot of WipeOut nay-sayers out there, hopefully they will be silenced by it like they were when Pure came out. most of my scepticism comes from seeing how poor Fusion was on PS2, the best part of wipeout fusion was pressing the eject button on my PS2

as for the topic

who will buy PS3 for WipeOut HD? i already have :hyper:hyper:hyper

i also launched a rant against MotorsTV for its biased comments regarding WipeOut HD and failure to notice Pulse;
http://forum.motorstv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=3197

ixnine
13th August 2007, 11:25 PM
Yay! My first post!

*goes back to topic*

As a devoted WipEout gamer, and PS3 owner, I will be grabbing WipEout HD from the PS Store.

YoshiXL
14th August 2007, 11:37 PM
great........ i buy an xbox 360, and i see this news 3 weeks later. grrrr, i hate being broke, but ill find a way!

ixnine
15th August 2007, 05:08 AM
great........ i buy an xbox 360, and i see this news 3 weeks later. grrrr, i hate being broke, but ill find a way!

At least you have plenty of time until HD comes out. And even more time until the official next-gen WipEout comes out.

xdirex
24th August 2007, 06:43 AM
I really wasn't planning on buying a PS3 for quite some time (I no longer feel the need to be on the bleeding edge of the technology curve like I once did, and don't mind waiting for a few price drops to roll through before making a purchase), however a new HD Wipeout game is probably the one thing that would change my mind!

Pity I'm back in Australia now, where the consoles are ridiculously expensive. I should have picked one up back in Canada (that's where I got my nice and cheap PSP)...

mdhay
25th August 2007, 08:40 AM
I already have a ps3, but no way to buy hd till it comes out on blu-ray.

Dr. Angryman
25th August 2007, 02:30 PM
I don't think it'll be out on Blu-ray. It's strictly downloadable. Sorry! Does it make a difference how it comes out? :?

swift killer
25th August 2007, 03:43 PM
I already have a ps3, but no way to buy hd till it comes out on blu-ray.

what difference does it make, if anything, download has an advantage over disc, no risk of scratches, loosing it, and if something for whatever reason happens to make you loose it from your ps3, just download it again.

oh, and its definately going to be cheaper, no other costs for;
- retailers cut
- packaging
- shipping
- making the discs
- printing inlay and manuals

so for me, downloads are the way forward for cutting costs and boosting profits in gaming, too many good adn legendary developers have gone bust in recent years.

Lance
25th August 2007, 04:50 PM
I would think that a little memory card would be a lot easier to lose than the usual gamedisc.

The convenience of download depends on the speed and reliability of the net connection.

There is something innately satisfying about being able to hold an object in your hand that is uniquely itself, that cannot be just any old thing.
I like to be able to hold in my hands a great book, or an original copy on disc of music by my favourite artist. Of course I am a sentimentalist, but then we are humans whose body design is meant to handle physical objects, and doesn't feel quite right when it can't touch what it sees.

Downloading certainly has some practical advantages, but immediate short-term convenience is not everything. And often you don't even get the advantage of lower cost that would be possible through elimination of physical mass, but which is not given by manufacturers who wish to increase profit.

Asayyeah
26th August 2007, 12:51 PM
manufacturers who wish to increase profit
Sadly this is so true.
I am also a sentimentalist, i like to have my 'solid' disk in front of my eyes and not a virtual downloaded one even it's more convenient ( at least for us non-dial-up members ;).)

Rapier Racer
26th August 2007, 03:03 PM
He said

but no way to buy hd till it comes out on blu-ray.

Which I translate as either

1) I don't have Broadband or
2) I don't have a credit card which is the only way (in Europe at least) to put funds into your PS Store wallet, which is a little bullshit for those who don't have or want a credit card

I could be wrong sure md will be along to clear it up :)

Sausehuhn
26th August 2007, 03:05 PM
3) you're not 18.

Dr. Angryman
26th August 2007, 03:08 PM
4) Downloading things confuses you. It took me about a half hour to figure out how to get the first gamma pack on Pure. :(

Rapier Racer
26th August 2007, 03:12 PM
Oh but I don't think you can compare the PS3s PSN service to that of the Pure download service, PS Store couldn't be more simple to use if they tried what is confusing about a big button that says 'Download' :banzai

RJ O'Connell
26th August 2007, 06:32 PM
a credit card which is the only way (in Europe at least) to put funds into your PS Store wallet, which is a little bullshit for those who don't have or want a credit card
Same way in the United States - to me, that's a slap in the face to someone who lives in a family who has just recently finished paying off a ton of card debts the last four years. What, is directly paying money from a checking or savings account via PayPal or any other alternative not good enough?

Don't know if pre-paid cards are sold here or not, but they should be damnit.

And this is assuming my mom, and myself even, can find a job to pull ourselves off the ****ing poverty line - let alone get a PS3 in the near future. :/

Medusa
26th August 2007, 07:04 PM
"Glad" to hear I'm not the only stuck in seemingly interminable debt-pay-off status. I'm trying really hard to tell myself I don't really need a PS3...It is a lot of cash to fork over all at once.

If Sony ever turns PSN into a paid service I will drop them like a ton of lead. No hesitation whatsoever.

Rapier Racer
26th August 2007, 07:52 PM
But its ok for Microsoft to do it?

RJ O'Connell
26th August 2007, 08:31 PM
Microsoft is a different matter, since most Xbox 360s are sold with a Silver Xbox Live account. Which, to my knowledge, does not expire until the world ends, or you get the three red lights.

You can't do multiplayer gaming unless you have a gold account, unless it's a regular Xbox, in which case, as long as you have any type of Xbox Live account, play on...correct me if I'm wrong, though.

mdhay
26th August 2007, 10:43 PM
all of those reasons are correct but the download one.

took me a long time to reply, hasn't it :)

Medusa
27th August 2007, 02:24 PM
OFFTOPIC>> No it's NOT okay for Microsoft to do it!!:robot Satan's little computer company...did you know they still haven't made a profit on their gaming/console division since they entered the market? Serves them right, I say.

Mark Of Insanity
27th August 2007, 02:51 PM
Just leave 'em be, they're better than recently gimmicky rivals Apple. Satan's little computer company eh? What gives that impression?

Lance
27th August 2007, 11:42 PM
Cos Steve Ballmer runs it. Haven't you noticed his resemblance to the Evil One? :D

jmoid
31st August 2007, 03:06 PM
I just read about this on Pro-G (http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/27-08-2007-6303.html)... I knew I was going to have to get a PS3 at some point to play Wipeout on-line, looks like it's going to be sooner than I thought. As some people have said though, it's a lot of money to fork out, plus I'm not planing to get an HD television anytime soon... but the temptation of playing on-line on a non-handheld console is so very strong. I'd pretty much convinced myself to get an Xbox 360 when Sensible Soccer on-line went live, too.

Lance
31st August 2007, 04:41 PM
Jamie! :) Good to see you! It's been a very long time since I've seen you logged in.

Frances_Penfold
31st August 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm still watching and thinking about the PS3-- I'd like to know more about when Wipeout HD will be released, and what online features it will have. No doubt I'll get one, just not sure when :)

I'm almost glad that the tracks will be a subset of those in Pure and Pulse! Gives a great opportunity to jump into the game and experience it in HD.

OFFTOPIC>> No it's NOT okay for Microsoft to do it!!:robot Satan's little computer company...did you know they still haven't made a profit on their gaming/console division since they entered the market? Serves them right, I say.

Hell, not only have they not made a profit, they are $5 billion USD in the hole for the Xbox and Zune platforms! Truly incredible. Their intention all along has pretty clearly been to stop Sony from dominating the home entertainment niche-- regardless of costs-- so that they have an opportunity to eventually become the major player in this arena.

RJ O'Connell
31st August 2007, 10:23 PM
^ As I studied in Economics, Microsoft operates on being able to break even rather than seek as much pure profit as possible. But that's another issue for another time.

Lance
1st September 2007, 12:53 AM
Don't forget that Sony has been losing truckloads of money on the games division for more than two years, and is still losing it.

Dr. Angryman
1st September 2007, 01:10 AM
At least they're not as bad as Microsoft and not as cocky as Nintendo (I don't care if it sells better, that doesn't excuse Nintendo for being rude and constantly patting itself on the back).

Lance
1st September 2007, 02:34 AM
I like Nintendo. I like their current product philosophy. And I think they deserve the backpats.

mclarensmps
1st September 2007, 06:38 AM
Wow, there's been a big fuss going on over here about this.

There's a lot of ifs and buts here, but to be honest, until something actually happens, it's not worth threatening to stop/drop, getting pissed off at, or complaining about.

swift killer
1st September 2007, 08:48 AM
The reason sony havent sold that many consoles is because of two things;

1- people waiting for a price drop, which simply wont happen in the EU some time soon.

2- the second generation of games, the big titles which are using the hardware to its full power. (GT5 Prologue is here :):):) )

Also, in my eyes, the Nintendo Wii is not a games console, its a flippin toy, what nintendo have done with the Wii is totally pissed on the idea of video games while patting their sarcastic-cocky-selfs on the back.

Microsoft, lets face it, its so obvious, BUYS their reviews and media hype, i have a friend who works for Rockstar Games in Kings Cross (which is where GTAIV is being made), and he says that Microsoft simply throws its money around to get good reviews and websites like Gamespot have basically become Microsoft's payroll bitches, you'd be shocked if you knew the full extent of Microsoft's antics in the gaming market.

Also, because of Microsofts huge profits from other markets, they can sell every 360 at a loss, which is why they're hacking the price of the 360 so heavily as soon as there is the smallest hint of a spectacular game on PS3. Don't be suprised to see a WipEout clone claiming to be better then what i hope will be the big daddy of all WipEout's in 2008, with its little media bitches talking absolute fraf to back up Microsoft.

It may look like im typing bollocks again(in regards to Microsoft's antics), but this time, trust me, i aint.

eLhabib
1st September 2007, 09:07 AM
Well, in the gaming industry everybody bribes, not only MS. But that doesn't make the games worse than the reviews - I've played a ton of xbox games I really enjoyed, so I wouldn't go that far as to call the console a bad product. No doubt, PS3 is more powerful, but it'll be a while before we can experience that to full extent. And then, of course, the xbox will be crushed ;)

swift killer
1st September 2007, 09:11 AM
ah, you know your stuff! GTAIV is going to prove PS3 is more powerfull.

But back to the subject, my only concern about HD is the SIXAXIS, i personally am not in favour of using it to steer, to me it will just feel to odd. I recon there should be a prompt at the start of the game asking whether or not you want to use d-pad, analogue or SIXAXIS, this can then be changed in the options menu.

The reason i am saying we should have this, is so people dont go off after playing with SIXAXIS and then say that its unplayable, or even better, let the player choose their method of piloting after they select their ship (simular to what Gran Turismo does with transmission, driving aids, etc.)

I would like to see a cockpit cam aswell as;

-fully animated weapons systems under the ship
-fully animated fins and airbrakes, inspiration can be drawn from F1's 'flex wing' theory.
-make ships being destroyed more spectacular;
1 - ships engines explode, the ship collapses to the ground, pilot ejects.
2 - ship slides, spins and barrel rolls, debris flying off in a ball of flames before it finally explodes.

RingoSpoon
1st September 2007, 10:15 AM
After playing some racing games on PS3 I am very disappointed with how 'floaty' the pad feels, it is too light - it cant be emphasised enough that not implementing a rumble mechanism is a terrible mistake.

Games play terrible compared to on the 360. MotoGP'07 is mince on ps3 compared to 360 where the rumble is used to great effect.

I just hope they bring out a black negcon for ps3 :):)

chri5
1st September 2007, 10:24 AM
I've been trying to resist the PS3 until the price comes down but I wont be able to resist in when Wipeout comes out for it. My girlfriend will probably leave me if she sees another console under the TV!

swift killer
1st September 2007, 11:11 AM
you could always convert her to an AG Pilot :)

jmoid
1st September 2007, 03:18 PM
Jamie! :) Good to see you! It's been a very long time since I've seen you logged in.

Thanks Lance! :) it's good to be back.

Looks like a 2nd hand ps3 would be £330 at my local game emporium... and I'm already thinking of ways that I could spread the cost...

swift killer
1st September 2007, 03:23 PM
Games play terrible compared to on the 360. MotoGP'07 is mince on ps3 compared to 360 where the rumble is used to great effect.

thats mainly because motogp on ps3 is made by namco while some other company makes the 360 game.

mclarensmps
1st September 2007, 04:44 PM
As far as rumble goes: it really wasn't left out by choice. Sony couldn't put rumble into their new controller because of the ongoing lawsuit regarding the patented technology in the controller.

A rumble/sixaxis controller is in development, which is hinted by the presence of rumble in the steering wheels of the GT game prototypes (and some other game which I cannot, for the life of me remember)

There are a couple of reasons why the Sony console is not selling so much, the main ones being obviously the price, and the second being the lack of games on it. Even I find there to be a severe lack of games on the system, but this is due to change come this holiday season. That is when, i am sure, the sales of the system will pick up.

People compare the success of the 360 with th PS3, but all too easily forget that the 360 has a years headstart in development, and in being at the marketplace, hence already having a firm roster of games on it's CV. The only real hit for the 360 came out a year after the console's release in GoW. The PS3 is going to be hitting it's anniversary this coming holiday season, so let us judge the quality of the games on the console around that time.

It really irks me when people compare sales of the Wii to sales of the Xbox or PS3, when, for the price of 1 PS3, you can get 3 Wii's, or for the price of 1 Xbox, you can get about 2 Wii's (and the numbers were something like 3-1 for the PS3 and 2-1 for the Xbox)... at the end of the day, the cash spent on either of the three consoles is just about the same, regardless of how many homes the systems come to.

I think the only real competition here is Sony vs MS, because Nintendo has found a way to approach the mass market in a different way, and is using the Wii as a different philosophy to "gaming". There are only a couple of true "gamer" games out on the Wii, such as Zelda (which you can get on the GC), Metroid Prime 3, and Resident Evil. Apart from those games, and, obviously, the Mario series of games which have a huge fanbase, the Wii is basically a party game system that focuses on appeal to the mass market rather than focusing on the "hardcore" gamer market.

You could say that Nintendo wants to become a Toyota, for everyone, whereas MS and Sony are duking it out as Mercedes and BMW for the Luxury market

Dr. Angryman
1st September 2007, 05:55 PM
Amen to that. I've always wanted a Wii, but, for some reason, I only wanted it for Metroid Prime 3 (I don't like Mario at all). To me, the Wii is more of a fad than anything, but this is just my opinion (play on, Wii-lovers). The PS3 is slow to come onto the mass market, but, as the E3 and GC suggest, there is going to be a truckload of new and promising games such as LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2 (people think that this game will suck because of the first game's bad reviews, but this looks like an entirely new and exciting game), and MGS4. I would not be surprised if PS3 rules next year's console sales. But, then again, I would also not be surprised if it still lags behind the Wii.

RingoSpoon
2nd September 2007, 08:14 AM
thats mainly because motogp on ps3 is made by namco while some other company makes the 360 game.

I was using MotoGP as an example - the fact still remains that all driving games on PS3 feel half baked. Even the mighty GT5 plays terrible.

the main ones being obviously the price, and the second being the lack of games on it.

No I would say the main reason was the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, and how good it is :), second is that after all this time there is only 1 good game on it - Virtua Fighter 5 (OK Ninja Gaiden is good as well), and the third is the price.

Sony console is not selling so much

'Not selling so much' lol - why did you not just say not good? In actual fact, they are very bad :)

mdhay
2nd September 2007, 09:17 AM
the ps3 is just taking time to get the good games in, minus resistance, project 8,oblivion A.K.A Yorkshire: The Game

a pun on the fact that oblivion is vast, and yorkshire feels vast.

truly the worstgame on the market is gundam, that is worse than G.T.H.D.

swift killer
2nd September 2007, 09:23 AM
too be honest, i used to like Gran Turismo on PS1 and PS2, but 5 Prologue is quite frankly...... ****, unless you have a steering wheel, in which case it suddenly becomes farqing fantastic......if only Forza2 was on the PS3

mdhay
2nd September 2007, 10:41 AM
offtopic///

I couldn't agree more. '3 A-spec's quality goes up massivley. pity fusion can't use it.

I can use it with soul calibur 3, for some reason :?

/offtopic

Dr. Angryman
2nd September 2007, 04:39 PM
I think that all we have to do is wait and then we will say some truly awesome titles. I think the first one of these games would be Haze. Very interesting story and gameplay. Can't wait to get my hands on it! :g

mclarensmps
2nd September 2007, 08:02 PM
No I would say the main reason was the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, and how good it is :), second is that after all this time there is only 1 good game on it - Virtua Fighter 5 (OK Ninja Gaiden is good as well), and the third is the price.

'Not selling so much' lol - why did you not just say not good? In actual fact, they are very bad :)

a) You're wrong, Sony's online service is free, but there are barely any games, so not much of it can be utilized, and the online service is only set to be improved with home.

b) You're wrong again, the PS3 is a better system than the Xbox, firstly because 1 in 3 aren't lemons (fact), secondly, because it has more raw horsepower (fact), third, because it can play the next generation of movie format without addons and extra purchases (you want that for the xbox and you're pushing about the same price as the PS3) and finally, because the online service is free.

Calling the PS3 inferior to the Xbox is, quite frankly, laughable, no matter in how twisted a fashion you try to spin it. As I said before, and I will say again, the only problem currently is the lack of games. If you want to compare games b/w the two consoles, why not compare the games that were out last year for Xbox with the games out this year for the PS3, the development time cycle was about the same for both timeframes.

Comparing ports is also, quite frankly, a useless comparison, as ports generally look right about the same on both consoles, and development for ports have to be done at the highest common factor between both consoles, and the highest common factor is the Xbox's specs, so the games have to be made for max performance on the xbox even if they underuse the capabilities of the sony console.

Rapier Racer
2nd September 2007, 08:14 PM
ports have to be done at the highest common factor between both consoles, and the highest common factor is the Xbox's specs, so the games have to be made for max performance on the xbox even if they underuse the capabilities of the sony console.

Yeah that pisses me off quality of games being limited to meet 360s, lesser standards. I'm even going to go as far as to say they ARE hampering GTA IVs development. Apparently Halo 3 pushes the system to its limits, pushes it to its limits ALREADY!?! It will certainly be interesting to see how the second GTA for the PS3/360 turns out because proper development on the PS3 version will see it eat the 360 alive they can't fit this one on its disk...

RJ O'Connell
2nd September 2007, 09:11 PM
But, but, EA says they can't get 30 FPS on Madden for the PS3, therefore it's inferior!

(contemplating switching out Xbox 360 for PS3 for Wipeout, GT5, F1, MotorStorm, and keeping my brother away from Halo 3 -_-)

swift killer
2nd September 2007, 09:22 PM
my advice on switching from 360 to PS3,....go for it, online play is free on PS3

Rapier Racer
2nd September 2007, 10:28 PM
lol @ RJ yeah we all know where the inferiority lies here all I can say is thank goodness Wipeout will never be an EA title, unless something goes drastically wrong somewhere along the line.

Lance
2nd September 2007, 10:38 PM
Gentlemen, the topic is: ''PS3- Who's going to get one for Wipeout HD?''
Could we focus on that a bit more?

infoxicated
2nd September 2007, 10:52 PM
Apparently Halo 3 pushes the system to its limits, pushes it to its limits ALREADY!?!
Usually when a developer says they're pushing the limits of the system, what they're saying is that their current game engine is running their current game to the maximum of its potential. That doesn't mean they aren't going to optimise the game engine or re-write parts of it for the next iteration. So why they say they're "pushing the limits of the system" is beyond me, because it's quite obviously a misnomer.

For example, if you look at the difference between Burnout 1 and Burnout Revenge on the PS2 you'd think they were a generation apart, but I'll bet Criterion were "pushing the limits of the system" with the original Burnout, then Burnout 2, and Burnout 3, and so on.

I think the difference is that with Sony consoles the developer can optimize the game engine to their specific needs to extract as much power as they can from the hardware. With MicroSoft they're running on the Direct X libraries, so there's always a layer between the game engine and the hardware. It does mean they get better results quicker with Direct X, but then the quality reaches a plateau sooner, whereas PlayStation games tend to improve in quality over the lifecycle of the console as the developers learn to optimise and get the most from the hardware.

I suppose the 360 brings instant gratification, while with the PS3 you're going to be in it for the long haul... which is fine by me, as I intend to be playing mine for the same amount of time as I have my PS2.

So I'll definitely be getting a PS3 in time for Haze and then WipEout HD, but even if both of those games are "pushing the limits of the system", I wouldn't expect either of them to stand up to games that are two or three years down the road.

Gerg
3rd September 2007, 06:54 PM
I've got a PS3, and I can't wait for this game to come out. Ever since they announced Ace Combat 6 for 360 only, I realized...

"At least Wipeout is an exclusive."

All I'm doing now is waiting for word on a release date.

Hellfire_WZ
3rd September 2007, 07:12 PM
Oh yes! After a recent payrise I could be looking at a PS3 later this month! I know it's a bit early in anticipation of HD and I'm gambling with possible Christmas price drops, but I want one!

*wets himself with excitement* :D

truly the worstgame on the market is gundam, that is worse than G.T.H.D.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam looks like it's gonna make up for the disappointment ;)

RingoSpoon
6th September 2007, 07:59 PM
Ok back on topic :)

Yes I will be getting a PS3 for Wipeout HD :) A second hand one for sure, as its a lot of money to fork out just to play one game...sorry, 2 games :)

Is there a definitive release date for when HD will arrive? In time for christmas I hope? :)

Up until then I will be getting my online HD racing kicks with the tremendous Moto-GP 07 on my lovely 360 :D I am working on an AG-Systems design for my bike, I will post screenies when its complete :)

RingoSpoon
7th September 2007, 06:56 PM
a) You're wrong, Sony's online service is free, but there are barely any games, so not much of it can be utilized, and the online service is only set to be improved with home.

b) You're wrong again, the PS3 is a better system than the Xbox, firstly because 1 in 3 aren't lemons (fact)

Thanks for that- comedy gold :)

Boy did they laff on the Xbox forums :D lol

infoxicated
7th September 2007, 07:13 PM
Excuse me?

Rapier Racer
7th September 2007, 07:17 PM
Why? Which part of that isn't true? I happen to know 3 people with screwed 360s and a 4th with one which is about to pack in, its less than 10 months old and I know that for a fact because I made the mistake of buying it in January then sold it to him 3 weeks later. I guess it was the pressure all my friends had one, then some sense kicked in.

mclarensmps
7th September 2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for that- comedy gold :)

Boy did they laff on the Xbox forums :D lol

Seems as if reality is a dream in you and your friends' fantasy world. On that note, I end my off topic discussion on the two consoles and sincerely apologize to the admins for taking it as far as i did.

rageagainstgeorge
8th September 2007, 01:27 AM
It's like being on Gamefaqs in this topic!

I won't be buying a PS3 when Wipeout HD is released. Too many £££'s.

I'm going to wait for MGS4, GT5 and maybe FF13 before i get one.

infoxicated
8th September 2007, 04:59 PM
Seems as if reality is a dream in you and your friends' fantasy world. On that note, I end my off topic discussion on the two consoles and sincerely apologize to the admins for taking it as far as i did.
I don't think you're the one who took it too far - it would appear that Ringo Spoon gets his kicks from posting topics from this forum for moronic fanboys to get a giggle out of elsewhere on the internet.

And, in all the years we've been around here, that has to be the ****ing lowest thing I've ever seen a regular member do.

Lance
8th September 2007, 11:17 PM
I banned ''Ringo Spoon'' once before for assholery when he was using the name ''mu5''. When he much later came back he behaved well, so I didn't immediately ban him again.

RingoSpoon
9th September 2007, 02:58 PM
It was in fact a wind-up :) I never posted anything from here on any other forum.

Lance
9th September 2007, 06:05 PM
Clearly not a good idea to wind up the admin. And you didn't even apologise or say you'd not do it again. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Try again in a few months.

infoxicated
9th September 2007, 07:53 PM
He actually did apologise via PM, Lance.

Apparently he "was drunk last night and was slightly pissed off at the Sony fanboy patter."

Doesn't excuse being an asshole, though, so he can stay banned as far as I'm concerned.

Those of you who wish to continue with this thread in the usual good natured spirit of this community should do so now...

Lance
9th September 2007, 10:07 PM
IMO: Public offense should require public apology.
To sneak apology secretly in by the back door is a way of saving face, of not admitting error.

um... back on topic?

mdhay
10th September 2007, 08:26 PM
Well, I got an "amber-light" from my mum, so to speak(I will explain what I mean if anyone is confused)

So, hd may be on the horizon (yay!)

Cannon_Fodder
11th September 2007, 08:07 AM
I had a dream that I bought a PS3. I can't remember why though.

I seriously doubt that I'll but a PS3 for Wipeout HD, but I guess I am looking for reasons to buy one, and who knows what that is.

For me the PS3 line up is still hugely lacking in quality titles (or at least quality titles that I'm interested in). I know it's not just me - in our office there are probably 15 360 and Wii owners, and 1 PS3 owner.

Ah well, if nothing else Disgaea 3 will sell the console to me.

rdmx
11th September 2007, 11:07 AM
I'm really just waiting for the price to go down.
1000 dollars (AUD) is a bit too steep. Despite coming with both Motorstorm and Resistance.

I'll want to get wipeout Hd at some point though.

DJ Techno
11th September 2007, 08:22 PM
so todays question is...

if u can get online, wonder why the europeans got to get first dips on it?

yeah i got the word on gamers magazine, that it should come out by the end of the year. but the USA- in all its regulations and rules, doesn't need to be last or second to last to getting goods!

yeah. you want to hear me complain about still buying a ps3 in the states.

Rapier Racer
11th September 2007, 08:44 PM
What are you crying about exactly? That the US never gets anything first, yeah damn outrage that is we greedy Euros get everything eh. :rolleyes:

BlueSage
18th September 2007, 07:18 AM
What on earth are you people thinking ?

Why not merely request that WIPEOUT HD eventually make its way to the PC.

MY GOD PEOPLE! :P

infoxicated
18th September 2007, 09:19 AM
Oh, I see what you're saying... a Sony first party studio should port a PS3 exclusive game over to a Games For Windows environment?

What on earth are you thinking?

rdmx
18th September 2007, 10:07 AM
I think he was looking for a Wipeout 2097 style port to PC.
Let's face it - Studio Liverpool is a first-party developer of Sony, Wipeout will not be on the PC.

G'Kyl
19th September 2007, 05:50 AM
Oh, I see what you're saying... a Sony first party studio should port a PS3 exclusive game over to a Games For Windows environment?

What on earth are you thinking?

Totally agreed! Just wanted to mention that "Games for Windows" is Microsoft's attempt to introduce sort of a games label for the PC platform and not the only way to publish games on the PC. :)

Ben

BulletWraith
20th September 2007, 03:33 AM
hey all, if your thinking of getting a PS3 for WOHD you may want to wait awhile if you like the rumble function as the Duelshock3 has been officially announced
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/19/sony-announces-dualshock-3-controller/

so I'm presuming PS3's will start shipping with the new Controllers pretty soon, I know I'll be more inclined to buy one now, been waiting ages for this announcement.(not that I like rumble in WipEout games)

good day to all
-Stevie

il_NIK
20th September 2007, 12:15 PM
Wow, what amount of posts!

I'm just back on the site and back on my psp and I want to answer to the thread title.

YES. I've already buy a ps3 only for the wipeout HD game. And an HDTV too.

But not only for this.

I also watch the TV sometimes. And blue ray disc too.

PS3 is a fantastic media machine.

Also dirty fingers of my 15months son are thinking like me. He really enjoy a lot with the sensible and coloured open-close button :mad:

Asayyeah
20th September 2007, 07:31 PM
I haven't answered yet to this topic.
Since a recent discussion through msn with Stephen spk, i shall answer no, i won't buy a ps3 for HD cause Pulse and HD will be launched almost at the same moment. I want to spend time ( few months) on Pulse as i guess it will be a topgame, before purchasing that too expensive ps3 ( for us euro citizen ).
I also prefer saving my money to visit my friends all over the world : that is a choice too :)

defor
2nd October 2007, 04:23 PM
considering I end up buying every console that has wipeout as soon as they release a version for it.. I suppose I'll be budgeting for a PS3 this fall/christmas...

I suppose in reality i've just been looking for an excuse to buy the system that sets it apart from the xbox360 as other than heavenly sword, resistance, and linux support, I've yet to see anything that really warrants its purchase.

Also happy that I won't have to buy multiple systems to play the regional variants of the game legally, unlike the psx

Sausehuhn
2nd October 2007, 04:29 PM
The good thing: PS3 is getting cheaper!
I already saw the PS3 for 500€ in Berlin. And then the Starter Pack (including a 2nd controller and two games) for 600€.
And I'm sure we will see more price drops in future. If not before Chistmas, then after. And yes, I look forward to the rumored 40GB PS3 for 400€, may it be true or not. I'm sure that would boost the PS3's sales as I know many people who wait for the PS3 to drop under the 500€ mark.

BulletWraith
3rd October 2007, 10:09 PM
I'd rather Sony just stuck to one system configuration and gave users two or 3 different hard drive options so that people wouldn't get confused which one they are buying and developers wouldn't have to think about the differences in the consoles when designing games

chur chur
-Stevie

mdhay
4th October 2007, 06:50 AM
....won't buy a ps3....

You will get one eventually, right?:(

Lion
4th October 2007, 08:57 AM
I'd rather Sony just stuck to one system configuration good thing you are in new zealand then!
we only have the 60Gb version with all the memcard readers and wireless integrated. That's our only option.
Asked in store when I bought one today.

Asayyeah
4th October 2007, 04:29 PM
Sweet as Leon :)
Enjoy your new precious baby :rock

You will get one eventually, right?:(
Yeah for sure , i only meant i haven't planned to buy one in december.
I am a bit disapointed and happy too : why these 2 antagonists feeling ? happy for having 2 wipeout games in the same year , disapointed that their launch date are so close.

defor
10th October 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm personally probably going to get one of the original-release ps3's before they disappear, due to the additional features being removed for the new low-cost ps3... but they do come in a new color of black and white

Sausehuhn
10th October 2007, 03:50 PM
...yes and without PS2 support -.-

pseudonym
10th October 2007, 05:46 PM
No I do not have a PS3 but for any WipEout game I will buy any console.

Ha, same as...

-- Hello all. I was here a couple of years ago drooling over Pure. I got a Japanese PSP and Japanese Pure, which I kinda wished otherwise, as I never got to see the cool Euro game packs.

Alas I have just bought myself a new Slim PSP, and eagerly await Pure Platinum to tide me over until Pulse is released.

I've been fanboying the Pulse site all day and night, and am very excited by the soundtrack so far. Oh, and Mag strips... it's gonna be ace...

Seriously willing to blow 2k on a surround and TV set up to play WipEout HD.

:)

Chill
11th October 2007, 01:43 AM
Is it my only reason for buying a ps3 and HDTV? No.

Is it a large part of it? Hell yeah!! :D

blackwiggle
12th October 2007, 02:37 AM
Been quite a few months since I've visited this forum.

I just bought a PS3[They were flying out of the shop in Sydney when I bought mine,appears fears that the 60g version won't be available once the 40g lite version comes out] and an Xbox 360 elite on the same day.

Main reason for getting both was both the consoles have HDMI output [a must for my setup]and not knowing which HD format was/is going to win out.
And I thought it better value to get two gaming consoles rather than buying standalone solely disc players.
I must say that the 1080 native resolution discs [be them Blueray or HDDVD] are an absolute joy to watch,even compared with standard DVD upscaled to 1080,and my HTPC is no slouch in that department.

But to stay on topic.
Great a [NEW?] Wipeout.....Ummm.
At least they didn't go down the "Fusion" road.

If they can get the sixaxis controllers sensitivity adjustable like the old Negcon...WHOO..HOOO!,Now that would be something.

Having to download the actual game doesn't inspire me to be totally honest,It took just over 35min for me to update to the newest PS3 software.
[Guess a new broadband plan coming up]
Being able to play online against some of you guys [You all KNOW you are going to be at it eventually] is fantastic news.

Just single player mode when NOT online sort of lessens the joy of this release.[If that is the correct info].

Being able to finally fly around those courses as they should be played without having to deal with the PSP [I never have got to terms with that unit,it's been sitting in a draw since late feb] is really like having a new wipeout for me.
Although that new PSP with video out that they showed playing on a huge screen looked intriguing [bet there was some major rescaling going behind the scenes though].
I was REALLY appalled at they news that the majority of the coding for the original wipeout's have been lost,guess my hopes of a recoding of those classics has been well and truly scuttled.

All up,well things are moving fast [tech wise] I suppose we will all have to get used to it.
There might be bigger and better things for WIPEOUT ahead that we could only dream about,so we really can't dwell on the past.

At least the game itself lives on.

:rock

Hyper Shadow
15th December 2007, 02:30 PM
I'm going to get on for WipEout HD, but I think i'll wait a little until MGS4 comes out. Not because I want MGS you see, but I feel Sony will try and push that game as a system seller so there might be some kind of bundle/price drop/anything to entice some systems tobe sold around that time.

WipEout Pulse will keep me company until then....and the rest of the WipEout games.

cybrpnk
18th December 2007, 03:17 AM
got one as soon as my uni finished and made up my mind to get one as soon as HD was confirmed...

however, i am still unable to log into the wipeout-game.com site...i really don't know why...

hopefully...my log-in will be sorted by then and i can post up some times with the best of us AG pilots out there...

it's great to see that the series is still going strong and that Studio Liverpool knows exactly what the vision for the future of WipEout is and is sharing that vision with us...

Bring on the next-gen king of anti-gravity racers I say...and after that, the true next-gen experience...:)

Rapier Racer
18th December 2007, 11:43 AM
Tried logging in via your PSP as well?

cybrpnk
18th December 2007, 04:56 PM
yep...psp included...:(

FishDK
6th January 2008, 10:12 AM
So far there has not been any games for the PS3 that I would actually wanna spend money on. But as soon as WO'HD comes out I will certainly be on the lookout for a good deal on a PS3.

I bought a n64 just to play Wo64
I bought a PSP just to play WO Pure and Pulse.

So I will probably get a ps3 just because of that game.

NeXaR_QroN
6th January 2008, 02:21 PM
I'm already preparing to it. I receive my HD monitor this friday, and will start watching for good 60Gb deals from there till april or so. WipEout HD and GT HD are enough reasons for me to buy it xD

Rapier Racer
6th January 2008, 04:53 PM
You can still get the 60GB model in Spain? It seems to be sold out everywhere here in the UK.

Vincent_VII
6th January 2008, 10:47 PM
So far my favorite franchises are on the PS3. WOHD, MGS4, GT5.... Most of the other games that I would care about are multi platform anyway. As soon as the PS3 hits the $300 mark in the States I will start shopping.

cybrpnk
7th January 2008, 01:43 AM
I was told by a Game staff that they are phasing out the 60Gb...I oculd be hearing things, I could be wrong...anyways...I bought a 40Gb as soon as I heard HD was on the horizon...I can't wait...

Rapier Racer
7th January 2008, 05:10 PM
No that is correct 60GB models are being phased out currently only the 40GB model is being produced for Europe, theres all the usual rumors that the 80GB model will find it's way here or possibly a new 120GB one.

NeXaR_QroN
7th January 2008, 10:12 PM
It's phasing out indeed. I were speaking more in the "second-hand" line, like ebay, for example. I want that PS2 retro-compatability, which 40Gb hasn't.

cybrpnk
7th January 2008, 11:42 PM
yeah it was a big call when i decided to get the 40gb...without the PS2 compatability...cause I still have the MGS series on PS2 that I want to enjoy...

In the end...I kept my slim PS2...traded in my old PS2 for the PS3 and we are all one happy family...

Rapier Racer
8th January 2008, 03:31 PM
You know the 60GB model is not FULLY backwards computable right? There are a lot of games that won't work on it. Really keeping the PS2 is a better idea.

NeXaR_QroN
8th January 2008, 10:04 PM
I will keep it, but not under my TV. I don't need to have 2 consoles connected if I can do the same wiith one.

Anyways, I heard compatability was around 88%, any major title not compatible?

Rapier Racer
8th January 2008, 10:24 PM
Heres an outdated list

http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm;ZSESSIONID=GLhRlbtT2tJTzQ9yB7JhZ4jgQ9S M2mgm2M2y85sv0WJhZJtlvGnj!866270928?locale=en_GB

I think game compatibility can change from update to update I guess you'll just have to put the disk in and see :banzai

Rollcage (PS1 mind) is supposed to be fully compatible but you can't save game progress, joy.

Lion
8th January 2008, 11:57 PM
I can verify that it changes from firmware update to firmware update
guitar hero 1/2 would fire up and menus etc would work up till 1.80. from 1.92 onwards they no longer do at all. they just point at the address from the previous post which says there are no known issues :dizzy

NeXaR_QroN
9th January 2008, 12:08 PM
Damn both Gran Turismo 3 & 4 seems to have issues on that list. Anybody tried on latest FWs?

ZenDJiNN
10th January 2008, 12:24 AM
I bought a PSP just to play WO Pure and Pulse.

Same here. I only got my PSP for Wipeout, and i'll do the same with the PS3, once HD has been released. (Which i'm really looking forward to!) :)

Assimilator
12th January 2008, 02:36 AM
yeah i made the mistake of buying my ps3 before wipeoiut HD came thought it was comming for december so I got myself a ps3 for xmas then december finishes and still no wipeout HD now new rls date april - june

/me bashing head against brick wall.

Chill
12th January 2008, 05:23 PM
Probably wont get a PS3 tell HD is out... for sure... the price could drop, and I need to save for the HDTV anyway...

sev4
13th January 2008, 10:39 AM
I'm a really stupid girl who bought a PS3 the first day it has been sold, without knowing Wipeout HD would eventually exist, just hoping so...! Anyway, I'm happy with it!

Ota
13th January 2008, 02:52 PM
I got mine for various reasons. Some PS3 WO title was only one of my hopes. I did however buy a Panasonic Full HD plasma tv for wipeout HD.
Trying to be patient now is on the hard side however. ;)

DjManiac21
14th January 2008, 08:46 AM
I got mine this weekend!!!!!!! :D
What an awesome console, and oh man, Uncharted and Burnout Paradise are out of this world...
Can't wait to play WO HD!!!

infoxicated
14th January 2008, 09:52 AM
Congrats Mauro :D :+

Mad-Ice
14th January 2008, 10:32 AM
Superb man, you are one lucky bastardo!!!;) Looking forward to see it and play it of course.

Greetz Mad-Ice

NeXaR_QroN
14th January 2008, 01:05 PM
Just ordered a PS2 component cable today. The PS2 looks simply AWFUL in LCD screen using standard A/V cable. I hope it gets better... if so, I'll probably stick to it for PS2 games and buy myself a 40Gb PS3 for HD.

lunar
15th January 2008, 02:36 PM
I have the money ring-fenced and am ready to go. I know I should wait for HD, as a better PS3 deal might come along, but I`m not sure I will hold on much longer. Help!

NeXaR_QroN
15th January 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm in a similar situation. But I know there's no one able to help me... (except maybe a Sony executive saying "PS3 price will be dropping 100€ next month" or something like that) :D

BulletWraith
15th January 2008, 11:12 PM
well just recently (like last few days ago I think) it's been announced that the cost of making a PS3 has been halved since it was first launched, so maybe a price cut soon or maybe Sony might actually start making money from selling the systems haha

as for me I'm waiting until I can afford a nice TV, speakers etc

-zer0shen

nakamura
21st January 2008, 10:02 PM
Im looking at a purchase very soon but is Wipeout HD only playable with a HDTV?
I know its kinda the point but i cant afford a HDTV and it doesnt really bother me anyway as i just wanna play the game.

ZenDJiNN
22nd January 2008, 01:46 AM
Nakamura - I agree entirely. I hope that it's playable on most normal TV's as i'm only buying a PS3 for Wipeout. I don't play any other games so spending loads of cash on a HDTV would possibly delay the purchase quite a bit. :)

But hopefully sometime within the next few months i'll be getting one. Probably once Wipeout is released. Now that they've been reduced in price, it's even more afforable! :g

Rapier Racer
22nd January 2008, 04:27 PM
Imagine the number of potential customers Sony would loose if PS3 games only worked on an HDTV. Course this game is a PSN download so it could well be different. I hear some games loose a lot of looks on a standard def set.

nakamura
22nd January 2008, 10:00 PM
Now that they've been reduced in price, it's even more afforable! :g

LOL only if you arent about to have a baby!!!

ZenDJiNN
22nd January 2008, 10:32 PM
LOL!! :g

Assimilator
26th January 2008, 09:49 PM
Imagine the number of potential customers Sony would loose if PS3 games only worked on an HDTV. Course this game is a PSN download so it could well be different. I hear some games loose a lot of looks on a standard def set.

I'v found that my old ps1 games look crap on my new HD tv but look realy nice on my old 68cm panasonic CRT

I've also found that HD content brings out the best of my old CRT.

Animagic
1st February 2008, 11:22 PM
no PS3 yet, but every PlayStation game system I've ever owned I bought in order to play Wipeout. Looks like I'll be sticking with tradition again.

woohoo!

lunar
3rd February 2008, 08:26 AM
I got mine, but I`ve had it 24 hours and it`s still in the box. I think I must be getting old. But my son is getting desperate for some next-gen Pro-Evo, so testing will begin soon, I think. It is a very beautiful box too! 8)

mdhay
3rd February 2008, 09:01 AM
I've still got my box from March.

stin
3rd February 2008, 09:21 AM
LOL!, Lunar, too much for you?:g As long you is happy with it.;)

I will wait for mine but I will have to work first, so I will get enough money.

stevie:D

lunar
3rd February 2008, 01:59 PM
I couldn`t wait, and I had a very very healthy amount of vouchers and offers to trade in against the price. :D I got a 40gb, but I don`t think I`ll miss my PS2 games too much. ;)

When I got my first PSP I was blown away by the beautiful design and it seemed to me the ultimate, slick, multi-functional, boys toys gadget. This is like an overgrown PSP with 10x the boys toys power. It also gives Windows Vista a reason to exist as it seems to automatically find any Vista computers on your network and access the content, and ignore the XP ones. Maybe this can be fixed for XP, but I can`t be bothered. One of the things that amazed me most on PS3 is the audio quality when playing back music - it`s unbelievable and I never thought a player could make so much difference. This machine does so much, and is just so cool, having a wow factor that the rival machine from another manufacturer cannot compete with, for me.

Now I need some Anti Gravity racing games for it, of course.

mdhay
3rd February 2008, 02:27 PM
Whats your id? I'll add you if you want.

lunar
3rd February 2008, 02:50 PM
Please do, my i.d. is spk, and for Pulse too. I haven`t connected the PS3 up to playstation network yet, so you probably won`t see me for a while.

Rapier Racer
3rd February 2008, 03:39 PM
It also gives Windows Vista a reason to exist as it seems to automatically find any Vista computers on your network and access the content, and ignore the XP ones.

I can access music on my XP PC through my PS3 instantly, anything else requires me to use Nero 7.

Asayyeah
3rd February 2008, 04:22 PM
Stephen a question for you : Don't you think your Pulse timeplay will suffer from your new ps3 baby at home?

lunar
3rd February 2008, 09:10 PM
Probably not much, after what RR says I`ll probably take the time to network it properly, then download Locoroco and some PSN games for the children, and play some games of Pro Evo with the little guy, hopefully winning a few :o I can`t imagine doing any serious playing on it before HD.

Albino Ace
14th March 2008, 08:45 PM
I'm planning on getting a PS3 for this...don't know exactly when I can get my hands on one, but I'd like to.

There are a couple of other games I'd be interested in playing as well, but I think WipEout HD will be my primary incentive. ^_^

yawnstretch
15th March 2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah, I'll be getting a PS3 purely for wipEout. Same reason I've bought any playstation.

specialDFX
22nd March 2008, 02:01 AM
MGS4 made me decide to buy a PS3 originally...

(psst...I've since become more excited about WipEout ;) )

Assimilator
22nd March 2008, 07:28 AM
I got one back in december because back then all Release dates for HD was pointing to end of dec.

three months later i'm still freaking waiting.
damn you LS for saying december and then after december saying may - june

it better be good and a full blu ray game better not be far behind

Axel
22nd March 2008, 12:59 PM
Can someone tell me. Does Wipeout 3 SE work on the PS3 40GB version or the 60GB version. I know there are some differences but wasn't too sure. I don't want to get the wrong one :)

lunar
22nd March 2008, 02:14 PM
PS1 games should work on either model. :) PS2 games only work on the 60.

Axel
22nd March 2008, 04:35 PM
wait a minute.......PS1 games work on others but not PS2............ FFS what is up with Sony? GRRRR Now i need to find myself a 60GB version now. Anything that is missing in the 40GB version I should know about as well? Like does the console accept PS1 memory cards as well?

Rapier Racer
22nd March 2008, 05:59 PM
No PS3 accepts PS1 or PS2 memory cards. Unless you find yourself the adapter.

Axel
22nd March 2008, 06:00 PM
Ok thanks dude, very helpfull. Meh i might as well start WO3SE all over again then. Fun game none the less :)

Lion
22nd March 2008, 11:55 PM
interesting to see yet more evidence that it's pretty much only hardcore gamers are aware of the limitations of the 40gb model.. seems I see another example about once a week at the moment.

the 40gb also has half as many USB ports (2 instead of 4)
I'm not sure about this one, but has the 40 also had the multi-card reader removed?

sucks that the choice of model has been removed too, with the 60 (or 20 or 80) not being made/sold anymore, leaving only the gimped models available

Sausehuhn
23rd March 2008, 12:48 AM
Yes, as far as I know there are no card slots anymore either.

Albino Ace
23rd March 2008, 01:23 AM
=-O

So, if I were to get a PS3, I can't just put in my PS1 card and play with my Wip3out data? :(

That is, without the adaptor thingy someone mentioned... :lol

Lion
23rd March 2008, 02:54 AM
no PS3 has memory card or controller ports compatible with stuff built for previous playstations
you can buy USB adaptors for both, but chances are that copying memory card data from your ps1/2 cards to the ps3 is a one time deal. so it's difficult to justify the expense.

I wish more of my mates had PS3s. so we could split the cost and get one for all of us to use.

KingTalo
23rd March 2008, 02:37 PM
Got one! WOHD FTW!

PSN ID: KingTalo

TheFrostE
23rd March 2008, 02:53 PM
as far as i know the 40 and 80 are being sold new, not just the 40, as for really NEEDING the ps2 game compatibility, most of you who are buying PS3s have a ps2 already right? so is it that hard to play your games right on that? the 40 gig still plays ps1 games from disc. so for me and my buddy the 40 gigs worked, to spend an extra 100 dollars on a feature that i can use in my room already and a couple extra USB. big money waste. For the the people who NEED 80 gigs on a console and actually use it all, get a PC FFS :p

FrostE out

Axel
23rd March 2008, 03:39 PM
Ok you win. I must have forgotten that WO3SE was a PS1 game lol. 40GB version will do for me then. Also since the game is on the HDD, can we expect no loading times? :P

TheFrostE
23rd March 2008, 03:51 PM
no there is still load times, well for wipEout there is, even still has the little spinning disc loading icon on the track loading screen lol

mdhay
23rd March 2008, 04:00 PM
Well, it is a straight port.

Lance
23rd March 2008, 07:19 PM
Been offtopic quite a while; let's get back to original question, please.

Lion
23rd March 2008, 10:06 PM
most of you who are buying PS3s have a ps2 already right?because I got a PS3 with backwards compatibility, I sold my PS2 so that I could buy another PS3 game at the time.
also a PS2 doesn't look as good on a 720p display as the PS3 upscaling does

blixabargeld
26th March 2008, 08:19 AM
i agree with "mark of insanity". need a new guitar first. then i'm still undecided between a ps3 or a x360, and sony right about now simply lacks in good games; this should not be underrated...
wipeout hd looks awesome, but except from amazing graphics, is like what a greatest hits is to the discographic market: just a mixture of best features of past wipeout titles put together with next-gen like graphics, just a good "salad".
for the full "lunch" we still have to wait..:rolleyes:

Axel
8th April 2008, 02:17 PM
Well I have purchased my PS3 for this game. Not for JUST this game. but for others like hopefully the next two Wipeout games (PS3 10 year life cycle anyone?).

To be honest, I sold my 360 since I dont see anymore exclusive games coming out for it. Mass Effect will be on the PC :D. Now the only thing bugging me is the release date. I'm going to take a day off work so I can play all night and day :)

taqili
8th April 2008, 03:32 PM
I dunno if I'd say that discussion of the PS3 features are necessarily off-topic Lance, it's quite relevant to "purchasing a PS3 or not." I was on the fence about getting a PS3 just for wipEout HD since I actually utilize backwards compatibility a lot, so I understand the salience.

As far as other games go, that is what sells me on the system. I'm getting a PS3 for HD's arrival thanks to a bunch of other factors, but HD is what made me really think about PS3 instead of 360.

sure gonna miss Ninja Gaiden 2 though :(

blixabargeld
8th April 2008, 07:24 PM
I changed my mind in the last days: i think that HD may worth to get a ps3 for, and not only for its stunning visuals.
It's unlikely to even think that what Sl makes could be crap, but videos showed a game that seem more than just a reissue of pure and pulse.
And now that my first psone is broken, would be fine to play the first wipeouts games in the (hope near) future.
now i just need money :g

FishDK
12th May 2008, 07:29 AM
Well, I bought a PS3 pretty much for this game alone. I have had my ps3 for a month now and still have not bought a single game for it. There's nothing out there I wanna play unless it's WO or some sort of music game.
I have been playing the demos that are available which I think is a brilliant idea...Now, can we have a demo of WO'HD plx?

Wip3ou7
12th May 2008, 06:05 PM
I already own a 60gb PS3... I bought it on release day hoping that eventually I would have a next gen WipEout game to become addicted to.

mdhay
12th May 2008, 06:14 PM
I know - You're on my buddy list. :g

Darkdrium777
12th May 2008, 11:43 PM
We should all add ourselves. :)
I have a PS3 too, just hook me up ;)

mdhay
13th May 2008, 06:37 PM
"You cannot add yourself"

Nope. Sorry. :g

Darkdrium777
13th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Haha. You know what I mean XD
We should all add each other ;)

Norfolk'n'Clue
14th May 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi All!

Yep - in fact I purchased one last friday, as I'd heard rumours of an imminent demo. Coupled with MGS coming out in june, being sick of the aeroplane (i.e. 360) in the corner for streaming content from my PC upstairs and of course the BlueRay, no contest. Sold my Wii the day I put it up for sale, went and got a PS3 the next day!

Very happy with it, its quietness, and after watching the trailer on my flat screen at full res...very very excited and hopeful. The lightness of the controller took a little getting used to after the 360.

What I don't understand though - people seem to be talking about it like its going to be avail on PSN store - surely it's going to be too big for that?

Sausehuhn
14th May 2008, 03:01 PM
Too big for a download-only game?
Definitely not.
The game is advertised for the PSN only and only around 800MB big. Not too big for a download :)

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 03:01 PM
Welcome to the forums dude.

Yeah, it's a download via PSN, around a 1gb so not too big at all really. The DS3 controller due out sometime is much more weighted, I imported one late last year as I couldnlt be doing with Sony's late release schedule for us EU dudes.

Norfolk'n'Clue
14th May 2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks peeps! Now I understand the thread about pricing.

So, as a noob (and a little OT, sorry mods) to the 'HD' thing, only having heard about the game on wednesday last week and buying a PS3 on friday (:p), is there a demo in fact coming out soon, or it the entire game?

I think I prefer a controller without the vibration thing - the batteries seem (so far!) to last about a bazillion (give or take) times longer than the ones in my 360 controllers.

eLhabib
14th May 2008, 03:07 PM
@Baldy: Is there even a schedule for the DS3 EU release? Where did you get yours? WipEoutHD-release my be imminent, and I still need to get me one of those.
@Norfolk: the full game is supposed to be coming out end of may.

Norfolk'n'Clue
14th May 2008, 03:12 PM
Permission to get excited.

rushin
14th May 2008, 03:15 PM
*jumps in*

i got my dual shocks 3's from amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0012ENSXE/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1210777977&sr=8-1). was the more expensive of those 2, as i must have missed the cheap one when i looked.. came in 2 days, and no danger of import duties as they are shipped from UK.

Makes the world of difference in GT5p i have to say :)

Norfolk'n'Clue
14th May 2008, 03:27 PM
Nice one rushin. Just ordered one myself. I knew signing up on here was a good idea! :p

BaldyCurly
14th May 2008, 03:50 PM
@Baldy: Is there even a schedule for the DS3 EU release? Where did you get yours? WipEoutHD-release my be imminent, and I still need to get me one of those.
@Norfolk: the full game is supposed to be coming out end of may.

I imported via;

http://www.renchi.com/

Took about 3 days t get here, had my JPN copy of GP5p sent over using these guys too. They do give you the option to mark down the cost shown on the invioce too to help get around any additional taxes, like we donlt get enough tax in this country (UK) already!!!

Skvall
14th May 2008, 03:52 PM
The battery lasts almost as long in DualShock 3, so that is not a problem. When I bought my first DS3 I played through Uncharted and a little more after that without recharging.

Argo91
14th May 2008, 04:25 PM
I probably would get a PS3 just for WipEout HD... If I had the money! :lol

ACE-FLO
15th May 2010, 12:04 PM
I actually did. And truth be told, I have 5 games for it, but only ever play HD Fury (and a lil bit of Mirrors Edge - but hardly)

Buying the PS3 for wipEout HD Fury may seem a lil extravagant to some, but for me - it has been a worthy investment. Having said that, I have tried to get mates to buy a PS3 and wipEout but its not for everybody... this is the hardest racing game to master, and there's always room for improvement, which is why HD Fury has a longevity which other games just can't match up to. So, for that reason, it's not really an extravagant buy, coz I'm still playing this game 7 months on... well worth the paper I spent I think :)

UB3R~JKP
17th May 2010, 11:21 AM
NICE MEGA BUMP ACE:beer
Yeah, I need to get back into WipEout, Got a platinum on Pure so that's a high possibility

ACE-FLO
20th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Cheers mate :) Well, here I am again, bumping it :g but for a reason.

See, My cousin (PSN-id : Man_Like_Jones) and I went out to get a PS3 and WipEout HD Fury for him. He's a member here but won't post for a bit since he doesn't know anyone here, but hey - I posted on his behalf...

I was looking through my profile and I have now got 5 referrals, but nthe best one is my cousins referral, coz that was a mission, involved leaving my house and shopping around etc... I feel kinda proud that I've managed to bring someone to the fold :)

LurifaxFlux
20th May 2010, 02:22 PM
I didn't buy my PS3 just for WipEout, but over 60% of the time I've used my PS3 has been playing WipEout x)

ACE-FLO
20th May 2010, 02:28 PM
Well Larifaflux, You play wipEout more than anything else, maybe subconsciously you knew that would be the case, if so - then your post counts :) kinda... we'll allow it ;) coz you a good pilot :rock

Motorsagmannen
20th May 2010, 09:23 PM
@lurifaxflux: haha same story. i didnt even know wipeout was released on ps3 untill i sign in on the psn store. but it is by far the ps3 game ive played the most xP

amplificated
21st May 2010, 10:56 AM
I bought a PS3 hoping to get my hands on a WO, but not specifically for WO. Glad I did as well, as like LurifaxFlux, a large portion of my PS3 gaming time has been spent in 'HD.