PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Supership: Triakis, or Goteki 45?

RJ O'Connell
12th July 2007, 05:19 PM
Goteki 45 is my choice, and it's got a lot to do with the advantages in thrust (which means more in this game than any other installment) and handling (it almost turns like a 4/5).

The argument against will be "well look what ship Asa is using to set records" but in terms of overall value you cannot beat the pride of Makana Island, Goteki 45. :D

Task
12th July 2007, 07:16 PM
I've been finding that myself.

Tigron is another powerful craft, one that I was using extensively in Venom, but the 3 Thrust was causing me issues in Flash (and faster) classes. Just not enough accelleration to really straighten out those turns. Goteki OTOH really handles nicely, and I've been liking it more and more. It'll likely be the ship I take into Rapier when I assault it this weekend.

I think Zone will always be the ship for TT, it's just made for it, but I'm wondering if I might find Van Uber to be the ship of choice once I finish Rapier and move into Phantom...

Triakis might beat them all when I'm good enough to handle it, but that's probably not going to be any time soon. 8 )

Renegäde
12th July 2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah I much prefer Goteki 45 for time trials over Triakis. I almost always pilot the AG-S ship in regular races so switching to Goteki wasnt too hard of an adjustment to gain a little better time in time trial. Its also a little more user friendly allowing you get away with a few mistakes and recover quickly in races with the killer thrust and better handling than Triakis.

Other than that it just suits my tastes a little more. Never been a fan of heavy craft due to them being all speed and not so much thrust but Pure's Goteki stands out from the crowd.

Frances_Penfold
12th July 2007, 11:16 PM
I personally think that the Zone ship is underused for time trials at the lower speed classes and for a few tracks on the higher speed classes. Folks probably avoid it because it's too brittle for tournaments and multiplayer races. Oh yeah, and some folks hate how it looks :)

Still, the max number of barrel rolls the Zone can do is 2-3 per lap, and that's if you are taking minimal damage from swiping the sides of the track. Any more than that and you are "driver eliminated"! So, that rules out Zone for many tracks at the Phantom and Rapier speeds, at the very least. At that point, Triakis and Goteki become the better bets.

Well, at least that's my sense of the situation :p

I would really like to hear more from Wipeout veterans about vehicle selection in Pure. It seems to me that time trialers have not even come close to max'ing out strategies and race execution for the different ships, and there's some work to be done nailing down the best ship for a given track and speed class. I wouldn't be surprised if Zone, Triakis and Goteki are all optimal, just depends on what the race is.

All of this is about time trials, of course. I have very little experience with multiplayer on which to base any conclusions about that.

lunar
13th July 2007, 01:05 AM
I do believe I was first to point out the Power of Goteki, many moons ago. ;) I was flying Van Uber on Kai, getting blown up all the time, then realised Goteki had everything Van Uber had, only more of it, and extra stuff too. Goteki is also the floatiest and most fun ship, imo.

I`m talking about Phantom class here, but my view is that, basically, Triakis is the fastest ship in the game, on every track. Triakis doesn`t have difficult handling - that`s the whole point of it - it corners like no other ship. The only other fast "real" ships are Goteki, AGS, Assegai and Icaras, in that order. Goteki is generally the fastest of these, but can be beaten by AGS on Sebenco Climb, I believe, and by Assegai on Vineta K. There are probably others. I don`t think Icaras can beat Goteki anywhere, and might not belong in the fast ships group. Goteki`s drawback is its floatiness and the fact it`s not so sharp in corners as AGS, but you can work around this. AGS is very very under-rated, and despite its low shield is an excellent multiplayer ship because it`s easy to fly accurately and is still quick. If you get away and absorb a lot you`re fine. Top speed isn`t very important in Pure - thrust, stability and cornering are the things you need. AGS and Assegai both get a mega boost off the speed pads, which makes them fast ships.

Zone and Medievil aren`t any faster than Goteki, AGS and Assegai, they have paper shields, and look crazy, so aren`t really any use I think, apart from playing shield 1 eliminator tours. 8) They are slower ships than Goteki, imo, although Medievil can be pretty quick due to its thrust 5 stat.

On topic: Triakis is undoubtedly the supership in Pure. If it didn`t exist, Goteki would just nose ahead as the best ship, but not anywhere near as much as Triakis does.

Frances_Penfold
13th July 2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the insight, Lunar :)

What's your opinion about the slower speed classes, in terms of best ships?

RJ O'Connell
13th July 2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah, I have taken note of the floatiness of Goteki, particularly while I was flying and setting some new records on Sebenco Climb (Phantom of course :D) and in some sections it's as stable as an alcoholic on a trampoline.

Right now it's my most comfortable craft to use, but I might get around to going on an AG-S or Assegai or Triakis craving at some point - if only to prove my skills in other ships.

And I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of Medievil in this game, just so you know >_< Farking shameless plug ship...fun to destroy though. ^_~

mclarensmps
13th July 2007, 02:56 AM
piranha is where it's at, admittedly, only a few weeks after you've practiced the tracks on some other track first.

phl0w
13th July 2007, 07:40 AM
I think this comparison is rather meaningless, since Goteki45 is downloadable content and I have the feeling, that those extra ships are quite unbalanced. Their stats sum up to a definite higher number than the standard ships and they are not "pure". if you know what I mean. I hate it when I race other ships than the ones Pure came with. Kinda ruins the experience for me, seeing that those ships always finish first of the "field" (which is the grid sans myself, who is first of course). Unfortunately those ships come with the track packs and so I'm stuck with them. Wouldn't wanna miss the tracks.

I, for one, only use the ships that are in a pure Pure. Well only Piranha really ^^
Still the fastest.

lunar
13th July 2007, 10:11 AM
It doesn`t make any difference to me whether a ship is loading from UMD or memory stick - it`s in the game. :)

What's your opinion about the slower speed classes, in terms of best ships?

In my opinion, on Rapier, the ships are about the same in comparison to each other as on Phantom, except that Triakis is even further ahead and Icaras can certainly be considered a fast ship. When you move up to Phantom, the fast thrust ships get closer to Triakis. Icaras just doesn`t perform to the same level on Phantom - something to do with its handling I think.

On Vector - Flash, Triakis is still the fastest. Zone, Icaras and Piranha are the next fastest ships here, with the fast thrust, low top speed ships like AGS and Goteki losing their power. Top speed does count on the slow classes. Piranha becomes a slow ship on rapier and upwards, generally, because its low thrust means it doesn`t get much off speed pads, and its barge like turning means it cannot maintain top speed. On a really straight track like Iridia it could do ok, but you couldn`t call it one of the faster ships except on the slower classes, imo.

We`ve tested these ships on TT pretty hard for a long time, and if you look at the TT tables with "all records" enabled, it more or less tells the story of which ships are good on which classes.

Some of the Omega ships can do well on certain classes, such as 123Klan, but let`s not go into that..... :naughty :) I am a closet Turboweevil fan though :paperbag

Mad-Ice
13th July 2007, 12:06 PM
Lunar your analysis is spot on and very funny too. I agree 100%.

Frances_Penfold
13th July 2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks Lunar for that thoughtful analysis :)

I'll check out the records with "all records shown" sometime soon!

Dr. Angryman
13th July 2007, 10:39 PM
Goteki 45 has my vote. :) I like the style and the strength of Triakis but for something slightly uglier and weaker, I can get a Goteki 45 and steer better. :hyper

Frances_Penfold
17th July 2007, 04:16 AM
Thinking a bit more about these ship use.

What about lap vs. race times? For time trials, do AGS and Zone have a niche when focusing on lap times, given that there's more than enough shield do execute repeated barrel roles on a single lap?

Mark Of Insanity
18th July 2007, 01:59 PM
How come no-one has mentioned Auricom? I could swear it's faster on Phantom.

rdmx
18th July 2007, 02:09 PM
It is faster on Phantom, Colin Berry (or some SL member) confirmed that it it was 'too fast' on Phantom.