PDA

View Full Version : Controllers

Renegäde
8th July 2007, 06:13 PM
Hey guys, ive just started a proper play through of Wipeout 3 for the first time since playing it a little when I was in my early teens and im having a great deal of fun with it but im using one of the Mad Catz wireless controllers and its a bit too small to be as precise as I need it to be on Phantom and it has an occasional problem with the right directional button on the d-pad so I wanna invest in a new controller that has a confortable d-pad and works well with the Wipeout games.

I was gonna get another Sony one but ive been through so many of the things that I thought it may be worth looking into some third party ones. Any controllers out there that the Wipeout community recommends for its PS1 games?

G'Kyl
8th July 2007, 07:05 PM
Negcon. Get a Negcon. Oh, and if that doesn't work: You should definitely use a Negcon playing Wipeout on PS1! ;)

Seriously, if you can get one on Ebay, do so. You twist the left against the right part of the controller - which may sound weird, but works just so intuitively and perfectly well for racing games. Most guys here who worked their way up into the top of the record tables are flying on a neggie. By all chance, you'll certainly improve your lap times by a second or two once you got used to it.

Ben

Medusa
8th July 2007, 07:05 PM
Forget about any controller you've ever used before and find yourself a neGcon. You will not look back from there. Unfortunately they can be hard to find, if you get one DON'T misplace it!! Have fun.

Renegäde
8th July 2007, 07:12 PM
Heh seems like thats the way to go then, theres a few on eBay atm that are around £12 buy it now so i'll pick one up. The button design seems a little crazy and the controller itself looks pretty distictive, how long do you think it would take to adjust?

Thanks the for the quick responses!

G'Kyl
9th July 2007, 04:38 AM
Thanks the for the quick responses!

That's because when it comes to neggies, everyone who owns one is a missionary. ;)

Don't know about the others, but the negcon felt instantly natural to me. You might have to play around with sensitivity a little, but other than that, there shouldn't be much to get accustomed to.

Ben

Lance
9th July 2007, 06:24 PM
The neGcon felt right to me in just a few minutes; in a few hours I was beating my hard-worked-on old record times.

And best of all, flying your ship just feels so much more real.

Renegäde
11th July 2007, 07:51 PM
Well it arrived this morning! Had a couple of hours playtime with it since I got in from work and its a pretty crazy sensation, feels waay ahead of its time. I can just about win on Rapier and the first couple of tracks on Phantom after tampering with the sensivity a little so a bit more time on it as it should all be sweet. Your right though, it does feel alot more natural and gives a better flying sensation. Cant believe ive been missing out on this! The only little problem im having at the mo is when I get hit by a weapon near a corner or brake into a corner too late, I find it alot harder to recover and get my line going again.

Ah well a bit more practice will prolly do alot of good, thanks alot for the recommendation chaps.

djb
12th July 2007, 03:53 PM
you poor sap!! negcon is a mixed blessing, its the best controller in the world for wipeout but its been written off by Sony, you are probably going to be heartbroken when you dont have a neggy for future wipeout games! will there be some kind of support group for pilots who arent able to enjoy the new games cos of this? can we get a patch or some gum to help us cope? can someone wipe my memory so as the negcon ever existed? ignorance would have been bliss! damn you "progress"

rageagainstgeorge
12th July 2007, 05:20 PM
I've just bought one off ebay. 14 quid all in all. Is it okay if use this thread to keep people updated how i'm doing with it?

I should say, i'm fairly poor at Wipeout 3. I can just about win on Venom! If I don't improve you might find me swinging from the ceiling!

Renegäde
12th July 2007, 11:02 PM
Cool nice to see someone in the same boat as me! Let me know how you get on with it. I havent been able to spend much time on mine yet but should be able to get a few hours on it tomorrow.

Its a pretty harsh adjustment after playing Pure for so long though and trying to get to grips with a new controller doesnt make it any easier but as with most things practice makes perfect.

(Heh just noticed we joined in the same month/year)

phl0w
13th July 2007, 08:05 AM
Since my memory cards (and VCR remote) somehow got lost when I moved I finally dismissed my plan playing FFXII this summer and decided on playing WO3 instead again yesterday. Of course using my beloved neGcon. Seeing that for the last half a year I only used Pure to fulfill my WO needs, you can imagine how I felt picking up my neGcon for WO3 again :hyper: Although the PS1 frame rate is something to get used to again (didn't remember the old WOs being that jerky and stuttering ^^), I really like the looks of it with enabled smooth textures.
Anyway, with my mem cards lost my config is so too obviously and I can't remember my twist settings. I do remember them for 2097 though (30/5), but know for sure I had a different one for WO3, what with there being no Piranha super ship. Default setting (80/6) is definitely unplayable in higher classes Rapier and Phantom and puts too much stress on the controller's mechanics, and my wrists for that matter ;). Any advice is welcome. For the time being I'll continue playing 50/5, which is comfortable but doesn't feel like the old days :(

Oh and I constantly find myself double tapping that negcon's shoulder buttons trying to sideshift to correct my line in corners :naughty

supersocks
13th July 2007, 09:31 AM
I too got Neggie a while ago but I'm still not completely comfortable with it, especially when it comes to vertical movements. But then again I played 8 years with d-pad...

This switching between pure and neggie-w'o"s gives me a headache. Breaking my neggie when attempting barrel rolls with it (Why doesn't it have unlimited 360 degree twist? Barrel rolls would be much easier. :D). I'm scared if I twist my PSP half also.

Dogg Thang
13th July 2007, 06:14 PM
I've never actually used a negcon in all my WO years (and that's a lot of years). Does it use the same steer/airbrake system?

G'Kyl
13th July 2007, 08:37 PM
I've never actually used a negcon in all my WO years (and that's a lot of years). Does it use the same steer/airbrake system?

Except that fact that twisting both sides against each other replaces the x axis of the left analog stick, yes, it works exactely the same. Altitude control is on the d-pad, which works fine, since your thumb rest on the pad all time and doesn't do steering any more.
After all those years, I still find it difficult to controll both axes with one stick, so Negcon still is the best choice for me when it comes to racing games.

Ben

element42
14th July 2007, 04:12 PM
will there be some kind of support group for pilots who arent able to enjoy the new games cos of this?I'm definitely up for that. Negcon Addicts Anonymous.

<wipeout - negcon> is just another futuristic racing game. An extremely fast, stylish, futuristic racing game. Okay, damn good, but it's still not right.

rageagainstgeorge
19th July 2007, 08:31 PM
Played it for the first time today. I feel much improved already! The main thing is amount of control you have. You can place the ship exactly where you want to!

I need it for Pulse now!!!!!

djb
20th July 2007, 12:02 PM
Played it for the first time today. I feel much improved already! The main thing is amount of control you have. You can place the ship exactly where you want to!

I need it for Pulse now!!!!!

i had to get rid of pulse cos i found it so infuriating without a neggy:(

Mark Of Insanity
20th July 2007, 08:14 PM

Sure you don't mean pure?

I'm thinking of getting a Neggie (in black) to improve my times. A bit confused as to how it can work with Pure/Pulse though.

G'Kyl
20th July 2007, 08:56 PM
It can't. :)

Medusa
21st July 2007, 02:35 PM
a Neggie (in black)
In black! The holy grail of WipEout controllers - nothing is so hard to find as a black one. Good luck! (I spent 80 dollars on mine last year:p)

G'Kyl
21st July 2007, 05:45 PM
80!!! Guess I was lucky getting mine for something like 10 or 20 Euros. They ARE as rare as they are good, though. :)

Ben

Medusa
21st July 2007, 07:15 PM
Umm, yes that is a great deal. I mixed up my currencies, sorry. :redface: I believe it was actually my PS2 which cost the 80 pounds. (aqua blue, it looks good with a black neggie!)

Tooo many night shifts.

djb
24th July 2007, 03:20 PM

sorry yep i meant pure! i cant even remember the name of it i scrubbed it from my memory so well!

lunar
26th July 2007, 03:17 PM
here is the story (http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=72099) of a particularly badly afflicted Negcon fanatic, which I found while having a sneaky hunt for black negcons on Google. As Medusa said elsewhere, something needs to be done for PS3 Wipeout to give us the control the game deserves. I hope some combination of stick/pad and tilt can do it, we`ll have to see. If not we could be going down similar pathways to this guy. ;)

Mark Of Insanity
28th July 2007, 02:09 PM
I did think of doing something like that, like modding a Neggie to also have an extra two analong (trigger) l2 and r2 buttons, as well as seriously considering voiding my warranty and destroying my PSP my giving it a Neggie swivel... but that's out of my current reach, because it would cost alot, especially if any mistakes were made.

Do we have any millionaire wipers? ;)

djb
30th July 2007, 03:30 PM
Did anyone ever start a Negcon petition?..probably a bit too late now anyways, Sony should build some sort of box device you could plug a Negcon into, which would then work wirelessly with the ps3, or just get on the phone to Namco and develop a new one, also world hunger, disease and war should be stopped at once, and while were at it id like to win the lottery and maybe grow a couple of extra inches in the trouser dept...

who was the inventor of the Negcon anyway? im a straight man who wants to have his babies.

Lance
30th July 2007, 05:28 PM
''who was the inventor of the Negcon anyway?''

That's something I've sure wondered a few times.

JABBERJAW
5th August 2007, 02:08 AM
namco. they should make a negcon two with dual analog sticks and tilt sensors(that might make it good for mech games as well)

Lance
5th August 2007, 03:12 AM
I meant ''whom'', like the name of the actual guy who invented the split twist idea/mechanism. Like Iishi Sakamoto or something. I guess we can rule out Yuji Naka. ;)

DaWorFizm
21st November 2007, 04:54 AM
Not exactly sure if this should be here or some other thread, but anyway...
I use a modified xarcade stick to play wipeout but I've also recently purchased a gyropad for PC, these are available for ps2, but I doubt for ps1...

I've had a go on wip3out:se using pSXfin v1.13 and one of these gyropads and it was fantastic, if I wasn't already used to the arcade stick in epsxe, or if pSXfin supported petes OGL2 driver, I would be using this gyropad for wipeout all the time.

(If anyone has any idea how to get dualshock compatibility working in epsxe PLEASE post how this is done, in big red writing everywhere.)

If you're looking for an immersive/intuitive analogue controller for wipeout, this is the best I've used. (dont forget to reverse the up/down axis)

Wireless G-Pad Pro Motion Sensing Gamepad (http://edimensional.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=120)

BulletWraith
21st November 2007, 10:39 PM
the NeGcon is great but I'd seriously consider the Ultra Racer, I use it even more than I use my Neggie, I find it a little more precise and comfortable, though I am sure the mythical black NeGcon would outshine it

I just got my self a couple Jogcons, still need a game to test the analogue steering with but I find the digital control on it much better than any other PS pad I've used so far, just wish the NeGcon had it's vunderful handle/grips

Churr
-Stevihe

Asayyeah
22nd November 2007, 02:08 PM
here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=23) you can read an interesting list of various controller tested by our fellow member Thruster2097.
If Rob find the time to include that G-Pad-Pro controller into the list which seems a good one ( NeGcon all the way for me :cowboy )

DaWorFizm
22nd November 2007, 10:19 PM
The G-pad Pro is like the Airpad, It's good for a bit of fun and a different experience, if you're one of those people like me who tends to naturally sway with a game then motion sensing is nice enough, it can be a little annoying when I forget it's on and use the D-pad instead but setting records with it might be possible with a lot more practice.

(BTW, watched some of your videos on youtube, good stuff. "WipEout 2097 Qirex Challenge part2" - great flying there. nicely done.)

Asayyeah
23rd November 2007, 12:27 PM
Thx mate :)

Medusa
23rd November 2007, 10:19 PM
I just noticed that the Guncon 3 has been released. WHERE THE @^#%
IS THE NEGCON 2???? Sigh. I'm sorry, I just had to get that out.:evil

G'Kyl
24th November 2007, 09:46 AM
I've tried the Airpad a long time ago and never got along with it. Since you don't get an _immediate_ response as to how far you actually tilt the pad I find it difficult to fly on a precise trajectory. The same goes for Sixaxis and Wii remote. I like traditional analog. ;)

Ben

Sausehuhn
14th January 2008, 12:55 PM
I have a short question about the white NegCon:

Were there two versions with different shoulder buttons?

Medusa
14th January 2008, 02:13 PM
Yes - one version has rounded, oval-type shoulder buttons and the other version has shoulder buttons with "square" ends. (If that makes any sense without a picture.)

Sausehuhn
14th January 2008, 03:21 PM
Okay then I know I've not seen any fake pictures :)
The rounded is the newer one, eh?

CR4SH3D
15th January 2008, 10:30 AM
ages ago i had a GP32 (open source portable games device) and there were people making usb keyboards etc for it (it had no support for them by default)

if there was someone into PSP modding, wouldnt it be possible to convert a negcon to usb for that? im fairly sure ive seen other input devices for the PSP, wouldnt be too hard would it if you knew what you were doing?

//edit
ive found a video of a guy using a negcon on his pc through a usb converter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Ae0mCMkHE so ill lookinto supoprt for usb devices with a psp

//edit 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2sgh2mzfck well that guys half way there

Asayyeah
15th January 2008, 05:05 PM
ive found a video of a guy using a negcon on his pc
:g
Actually it's q-DMC12 our fellow north american member
;)

CR4SH3D
15th January 2008, 06:28 PM
ooooh lol
well the other guy proves you can use a usb connection with analoge control pad with a psp, im assuming negcon is analoge too

BulletWraith
15th January 2008, 08:31 PM
yes the neGcon is analogue, it uses a Potentiometer or 'pot' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer) which looks kinda like this (http://www.musikding.de/images/cts.jpg)
here's a pic of my first Neg of the years pot which is mostly covered by a cog so only the brass(?) tip is visible(I ordered it on Jan 2nd, probably the first neGcon purchased this year w00t!)
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/apteronotusalbifrons/gettoknowneGcon.jpg
sorry the pic I took isn't that good (I need sleep) but you get the gst
in the next couple weeks I'll get a hold of a spare DualShock and see if I can get the neGcons twist wired up to the DualShock's left stick

oh and the Airpad is awsome, I got one a couple weeks ago after reading Thruster2097's Article (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=23), I've used it with WO and 2097 I love the floaty sensation it gives, but I don't think I'll be beating any of my own times with it

Churrr
-zer0shen

CR4SH3D
15th January 2008, 08:45 PM
cool, so like guitar knobs or something then?
think youd be up for a negcon psp mod? ;)
thats really interesting to see inside it though, it seems really simple in design

lunar
15th January 2008, 09:11 PM
Zeroshen, do you think there`s any way of fixing a floppy one so that it springs back to the centre position again? I find it very difficult to match my best times once the twist gets too loose with age.

@ Medusa - I never realised there were two types of white. It`s just nice to know these things.

BulletWraith
15th January 2008, 09:52 PM
nah Cr4sh, I just want a neGcon/DualShock3 hybrid for use with HD, I laughed to myself about the idea a few weeks ago, but I'm taking it serious and doing the research for it now(yeh they are kinda like Guitar knobs :))

to me the PSP is a portable system and I think it would be to hard to keep it pocketable with neGcon features, a better road to take is that of the UltraRacer, jogcOn,Run'n Drive (http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=91&PlatformID=12) or the best thing I can think of the Fanatec Speedster (http://www.openpr.com/print/14473/FANATEC-Speedster-Controller-cutting-edge-fusion-of-steering-wheel-and-game-pad-for-use-with-PlayStation-r-2.html), well no, Run'n Drive:rock would be best as the screen would stay centered :D

argh, Luna, right now I'm too scared:bomb to take apart that piece of the neGcon, when I pick up a 4th I'll get to it as I've heard many have problems with this, I have prettymuch no idea as to what keeps the neGcon centred, but it feels kinda like apiece of coiled springsteal, or perhaps two coiled pieces of spring steal pointing in oppsite directions:?:

I know what would be cool though, a neGcon that uses an optical sensor instead of a pot, a ballbearing turning centre and a re-centring mechinism made with electro magnets hahahaha that would be as smooth as silk:hyper

-zer0shen

bloseth
6th February 2008, 07:32 AM
Tried to find anything on this by searching the forum, but found nothing.

I have had two nights of neGcon bliss (mainly with 2097) but yesterday I tried wo3se. The button layout was a pain (literally), so I tried to fix it, but each time I entered the button setup, things just freezed. Plugging the controller out and in again unfroze the thing, but the same thing happened as soon as I tried the setup again. I had no problems with the twist setup.

Anyone noticed this? Workaround?

(I've got the slim PSone and a white neGcon)

Asayyeah
6th February 2008, 02:05 PM
I ve seen that before mate : i think it comes from 2 different Negcon Models, i had few whites who can't be played in SE and other who can't race 2097 or the 1st... weird but true

bloseth
6th February 2008, 07:05 PM
Oh, but I can use it to race, I just can't change the button layout... Strange...

BulletWraith
6th February 2008, 08:50 PM
it happens with both my neGcon and my UltraRacer, usually I just have to go in and out of the button menu and sometimes wait/hold the button(I want to change it to) down longer/for ages and eventually it works (this is just on standard WO3, I haven't got SE... yet)

good luck, just try try try and you should find a way to change your controls
try L(analogue) as thrust, A/B as air breaks, it makes (imo) for more reliable cornering, I loves this setup

-Stevie

Lance
6th February 2008, 09:06 PM
I've had this problem on the American version of W3O.

bloseth
7th February 2008, 07:23 AM
good luck, just try try try and you should find a way to change your controls
try L(analogue) as thrust, A/B as air breaks, it makes (imo) for more reliable cornering, I loves this setup

Thanx! I will try this!

bloseth
7th February 2008, 06:44 PM
... and well... it didn't quite work out.

Did a little thinking, and modded the neGcon(slightly):

http://lh3.google.com/bloseth/R6tdGeke_0I/AAAAAAAAAJ8/aKTNwdyTcS0/s400/DSC_4778.JPG

I heightened the A-button for me to be able to press it with the joint of my thumb while still pressing and holding the II with the tip of my thumb.

This seems to work for me at the time being :robot

Asayyeah
7th February 2008, 09:57 PM
smart-ass Bloseth :+

Moddified Neggie :clap

bloseth
8th February 2008, 06:21 AM
Thank you, thank you. Posted a few w3ose records yesterday. Nothing stellar, but I'm quite satisfied.

djb
16th April 2008, 05:09 PM
Hey i did the same kinda thing with my neggie, i stuck bits of round rubber to the red buttons so they are easier to keep pressure on as i would sometimes get a cramp in my hand after a long session... still talking about wipeout here!! maybe someone should start a "pimp my neggie" thread?