PDA

View Full Version : Help! Silverstream! Augh!

DawnFireDragoon
30th June 2007, 07:43 PM
hey everyone, i love the original but have great difficulty beating silverstream...i need some advice on this track. what's the best ship and route to take? any techniques?

stin
30th June 2007, 08:13 PM
Ag Systems then L,R,L ;) and practise which I have done for the last three weeks also, once you did unlock the Firestar track and you must learn the lines and you will need it!

Good Luck:+

stevie:)

Task
30th June 2007, 08:52 PM
More specific advice:
The hairpin: If you take the outside, heavy airbrakes and nose down for a tight turn. If you take the inside, go hard left and on the airbrake as soon as you get on the boost pad.
After the hairpin: turn right early with a bit of airbrake and a bit of nose down so you end up on the inside for the boost. From there, just make the turns till you get to the hill.
Turbo use: Going up the big hill after the hairpin.
Final set of nasty corners: Early right turn to the right side of the track, a bit of nose up helps, then hard left turn to the left side of the track to the finish line, nose down helps for that.

But the real advice is right here: Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, and I split your post since it's not a tip it's a request for tips. That was the "tips only" thread.

stin
30th June 2007, 09:14 PM
It`s top secret!, you know cos we have to work all the way to complete the hardest game of Original WipEout in history!

stevie;)

lunar
30th June 2007, 09:27 PM
lol Stevie.

video of silverstream on this forum page (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3913&page=5) by Assayeah.

another silverstream topic here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646) but don`t listen to those who say anything but lrl is the way to go on the splits. The final left split is harder to fly, sure, but actually easier to beat the game with in the end because it`s faster. :)

DawnFireDragoon
1st July 2007, 04:39 PM
thankyou! i'm getting better, damn you really need to practice this a lot.
i'm gaining a lot of love for the track at the same time. It can be a lot of fun.

the original Wipeout is by far the hardest, but it makes you a skilled pilot!

zargz
9th July 2007, 03:04 PM
Did you win on Silverstream yet?
if not here's my advise, this is what I do anyway...
when I'm learning a new track I always play a Lot of Time Trial
till I know how to take every corner and if possible every speed pad.
BeFore going to Single Race. :)
Good luck! :+

DawnFireDragoon
10th July 2007, 07:37 PM
i haven't won yet! but i have been practicing the single race a lot! i've been doing wipeout 2097 at the same time, so between those two and playing Halo 2 on xbox live all the time, it's consuming all my time!!! :(

Task
10th July 2007, 07:46 PM
zargz knows what he's talking about, do the Time Trial.

Dogg Thang
10th July 2007, 07:50 PM
I can play WO2097 and WO3 at the same time but the original needs my complete attention or I can't get a hang of the handling. Playing the others actually makes me much worse. In fact, I have to relearn the original just about every time I play it.

Last time, I got through the Venom races but couldn't get 1st on any Rapier track. Not one. I just couldn't do it the way I used to - predicting those corners at the right time.

That said, I have never actually completed PS1 WO. I completed the Saturn version which I think had slightly easier handling.

superdav
31st January 2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah silverstream is a b!tc#. I have never broken into the rapier class until the other day. (^5) Practice,practice,practice.
Sad thing though. Ater i did that and entered my times into the database. My girl called and I absentmindedly powered the ps2 down without saving. So now I have to win again to gain access to Rapier class. LOL!

dobyblue
12th March 2008, 09:19 PM
I always found using one of the Quirex ships was the easiest to beat SS on, simply because of the top speed.

You have to be very good with airbrakes though, because it corners like a tank.

stin
12th March 2008, 10:20 PM
are you talking about PSP or Old Playstation 1?

PSP, is easy with Qirex but not old ps1!

BTW, Welcome to the board and enjoy.

TearsToShreds
13th March 2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I was wondering whether the PSX version was just harder in my memory (I was 8 at the time I first played it) or that the PSP version is somehow easier. I finished Rapier class in one try on the PSP... However, I was playing the PSX version on the PC and it didn't seem TOO different, although playing with a keyboard required some practice.

bloseth
13th March 2008, 07:24 AM
Yes, W'O'' is incredibly hard, and the hardest I've tried (I've played every wipeout, bar WO64). Played it some last night, and did some progress in some TTs (thanx to my new negcons). Silverstream, however is damn hard. In single race I have yet to place higher than 7th (I'm so ashamed). There's one turn that I can't do right. The ship seems to lose all traction or something, so it's *wham* in the wall _every_ time...

lunar
13th March 2008, 09:16 AM
@Muse, I think the PSP version handles differently to PS1. The walls don`t slow you as much and the big two ships are easier to turn, but on the other hand I find it`s tougher to play with a PSP than with a PS1 with Negcon. Rapier on the first go is impressive.

@Bloseth, my advice is there are several corners on Silverstream where you`ll need to (shock horror don`t let any 2097 pilots see this) release the thrust button to get the best line and avoid smashing the wall. There are a few corners where the speed pads will just propel you into the wall, so you can just release the thrust as you cross these to allow the ship to turn. Putting the nose up is also a good idea on these speed pad corners. Put the nose hard down over the crests, to get as little airtime as possible. Take the left, right then left splits, and always save your turbos for the steep uphill section.

bloseth
13th March 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanx! I will keep trying. :robot

TearsToShreds
13th March 2008, 10:50 AM
Ah, the two big ships. I never really use them, AG Systems all the way. Hardly needs any airbraking after some practice, giving you a huge advantage. BTW, I did practice Silverstream before doing the championship, just to make that clear. I had much more trouble winning on Firestar in SR, took me about 15 attempts in Rapier.

dobyblue
13th March 2008, 03:04 PM
I have to say, looking back on 1995 and a 22 year old me, that this game was probably the most exciting game I've ever played. Each new release has gotten me more excited than probably any new film or new album from my favourite artist.

It all comes back to this first game though. The whole concept, it was just like nothing else I'd ever seen.

WipEout rules.

are you talking about PSP or Old Playstation 1?

PSP, is easy with Qirex but not old ps1!

BTW, Welcome to the board and enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome, to you and the entire site, that's pretty cool to see that on the front page.

Yes I was talking about the PSOne. I found if I used Quirex and Paul Jackson (Union Jack on the car is so compelling, even though I'm now Canadian) I could always get to Silverstream having placed 1st in the other 5 races, so that I could easily get 3rd and get into the Rapier class.

Pretty challenging ship to use, but once you've used the turbo pads through the s-bends with airbrakes I found it the ship with the fastest overall time through SS.

I must pull out this game and give it another go, see what sort of times I can get on SS with Quirex vs. AG.

Lance
13th March 2008, 04:08 PM
.... release the thrust button...

:eek }paralysed with shock{

Asayyeah
13th March 2008, 08:03 PM
Heart stopped
Defib needed
:cold

dobyblue
18th March 2008, 01:10 PM
My bad, I had mentioned that I use the Quirex ship....but that is in WipEout XL to beat the Piranha challenge.

For the original WipEout I use the Feisar with Paul Jackson. I just checked once through the Venom Championship with both the AG Systems and the Feisar and I was on average 5-6 seconds quicker per race with the Feisar, beating Silverstream on the first try. With the AG Systems I went three and out on Silverstream, getting 4th place each time.

The Feisar absolutely flies through Silverstream and I think you can do almost the entire lap using airbrakes, getting consistent lap times of 56-58 seconds.

L-R-R.