PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Icaras...

Sven
17th June 2002, 12:21 AM
I'm annoyed that Icaras ships are dominating the records tables. I'm determined to get some other names into the top 10 lists, starting with Qirex[RD].
no hard feelings though, you icaras racers just keep racing your icarii :wink:

zargz
17th June 2002, 01:01 AM
hate it too :evil: my favorite is piranha.
BUT 2get there u have2 use it! :roll:

zargz
17th June 2002, 01:06 AM
8)

Sven
17th June 2002, 01:23 PM
I got a 1:09 with Qirex at Porto Kora =)

auricom
17th June 2002, 02:49 PM
i've got the same problem in wipeout 2097 (xl for us) : everywhere i go, there'se only piranha in table. My records have only Quirex in it (i don't like the piranha in wipeout 2097, it's a too sensitive control and it's weaponless !).

Lance
17th June 2002, 02:57 PM
heh. zargz, i already moved the topic just before you made you second post, so your post kicked in over here in GD

Sven
17th June 2002, 03:11 PM
But the prototype pirahna ship was awesome (aside from the weapons issue).
The Icaras is not (IMHO). Sure it's fast, but it handles like a brick. And its relatively low shielding doesn't allow for much boosting OR wall contact, which is hard to avoid with how it handles. Qirex is just better =P
Assegai is the best, aside from its crappy shields.

Sven
17th June 2002, 03:58 PM
hahaha!! I have invaded the timetables with Qirex and AG-S!
:)
I seem to be pretty even with FoxZero (infoxicated?) in the lap times.

FoxZero
17th June 2002, 04:30 PM
FoxZero != Infoxicated :wink:

!= is does not equal, for those who dont know.

I'm annoyed that Icaras ships are dominating the records tables. I'm determined to get some other names into the top 10 lists, starting with Qirex[RD].
you know, i said exactly the same thing to myself when i first came here, but i have yet to go through with that idea cuz icaras is so much fun. oh yeah and most of my vector/venom/phantom times probably shouldnt be used for gauging how fast you are cuz i mostly try and improve my rapier times.

Vasudeva
17th June 2002, 06:07 PM
Attacking Icaras (and not Icarus or any of the sort) eh? Well, over my dead body! 8)

Okay, so they are pink (ooh).
Okay, so they handle like a brick.
Okay, so in WOF Icaras is dead for generations.

But they are blisteringly *FAST*. If you can manage a pink ton of bricks, you're the superior man. It takes more skill to fly an Icaras properly than you might think. To a degree, you can pull some stunts with Qirex, but Icaras is the only craft with which you can "slide" around a tricky corner by counter-braking (does anyone have an idea what I'm trying to talk about? :)).

Think of it like this, in World Cup measures: Icaras are the Germans of WipeOut: not the most beautiful play in the world, but they win, and their raw power and speed makes up for their mediocrity.

I like Qirex, too. They're beasts. But in the end I always return to ol' Icaras.

Peace,
V.

Lance
17th June 2002, 08:05 PM
alan, if you think you're near equality with foxzero, you'd best look at the times in vector class on the first prototype track in the ntsc wo3 where you're competing. the day any of us get down around his sub-1:12 racetime, i will be saluting with both hands!

i love icaras!

^

Sven
18th June 2002, 12:10 AM
heheh, I've only gotten Vector times up, I have to work some more on my other race classes =)

zargz
18th June 2002, 02:49 AM
the day any of us get down around his sub-1:12 racetime, i will be saluting with both hands!
now lance, that would b a sight! I just might try it just 4that .. or @least 2beat u time! :D

Lance
18th June 2002, 03:45 AM
it might just look like me covering both eyes with my hands and groaning that i'll NEVER get my times that low.

Armoredgear7
20th June 2002, 01:54 AM
haha, if there is a never involved, then how did FoxZero get that low? if hes that good, you too can be that good.

As for Icarii invading the tables, all i have to say is this:

Yes, Icaras is a brick.
Yes, Icaras is needed to achieve lap times to compete in the upper ranks (in most cases)
No, Icaras is not my perferred ship.

If im showing the game off to someone, i use Pirhana - its my fav. Most (but increasingly fewer as i learn to fly Icaras better) of my phantom lap times are Pirhana, and some of them are pretty fast (top 10 in NTSC - yeah?).

FoxZero
20th June 2002, 02:32 AM
top 10 yes, but there are only 20 people who submit times in ntsc!

Sven
20th June 2002, 02:32 PM
I don't see how anyone can survive a lap at phantom in an Icaras...

Task
20th June 2002, 07:55 PM
What, are you kidding? It's easy...
On Porto Kora, Mega Mall, and Sampa Run. :)
The right craft for the right track for the right speed class.
AG Sys and Assegai on other tracks, depending on the corners contained within...
When you've got all that speed, what's gonna hit you? It's not like the opponents can throw a Quake at you or anything...
The only difficulty in suviving is 1) hitting walls (and if you're doing that, you need more practice is all) and 2) lapping the opponents. If 2) is your problem, just don't pass till you've got a weapon. Any weapon. Even mines, or "chaff" as I like to call it. :D

Lance
20th June 2002, 08:20 PM
armoredgear7: why never? well, i've only been playing videogames for a couple of years, but i'm already 59. so my abilities for this type of activity were never honed when i was still growing. though i realise that the human body may retain some ability to adapt even after it has become adult, i still have to expect that my physical abilities for this activity are less than those who grew up with these games, and are already less than those i had in my twenties, and are likely to soon become even less. even though i seem to be unusual in the world of 59 year-olds, there really must be some physical limit on my performance, so if am thinking realistically, i'd have to say 'never' for my chances to reach a sub-1:12 on that course. the challenge and the satisfaction that i could obtain from it will be in simply doing as well as i can. i never thought when i discovered videogames that i would be able to even do this well. recently i surprised myself by doing not as badly as expected in classes higher than vector, but in my best phantom race, i am still more than 26 full SEConds behind Al!

anyway, i still feel good that i've been able to do what i have, and enjoyed it a lot. it is clear that even at my very best, i am no higher than eighth among the NTSC pilots [whatever the current results for any given race circuit may say], but i still enjoy playing the game.

re: pirhana. i've always loved this ship since i got wip3out. it doesnt come into its own till you reach rapier and phantom classes, but with my current skill level, i find that its high agility and reasonable shields help my survival and success rate. in phantom class, in which there are some circuits on which the assegai is the current king, i feel that it is at least the equal of assegai, and possibly superior, but of course, my judgement is affected by little experience in this class.

recently i've noticed that in vector and venom classes, there are one or two sections on a couple of courses where i can get through more cleanly and quickly with a stunningly non-agile Qirex than with anything else. weird

Vasudeva
20th June 2002, 09:07 PM
About videogaming in general:

Something strange. If you played a game often enough, even months or years after you've played it, you can just slip into your acquired playing habits again after like half an hour. Hand-eye reflexes happen automatically, and the slightest adjustment in button pressing and pad-pressing is consciously done.

About the ships in wip3out:

I don't like flying Pirhana. I get better times with Auricom even! It appears that I need the feeling of being able to air brake my way around a corner with maximum control and at high velocity (Icaras). My brother Ben likes to do just the opposite: minimal control and flying at a smooth pace (Assegai), although of late he has been discovering the joys of Icaras.

Qirex is sometimes a little too heavy. You have to brake so hard that you lose too much speed, especially in the more curvy tracks. Icaras has a better handling (well, in SE it has) and a higher speed, so braking doesn't slow you down as much. Okay, so it has acceleration 1, but who cares once you're at top speed? A wall might, perhaps :(.

Peace,
V.

Armoredgear7
21st June 2002, 01:25 AM
Vasudeva: Video gaming is indeed strange that way, it becomes a forgotten second nature. I personally find however, that if i return to a game it takes me less than a half hour to get into it, but weeks to remaster my skill. Wo3 was like that, and so was the Armored Core Series.

regarding Qirex, a few of my earlier lap times were set using it, but then i got used to Assegai, then Pirhana, and that sorta changed. im still learning/mastering Icaras though.

BTW, thats very impressive Lance. shame on me, the ignorant . Then again, ive only been on the board for a month or so. :-?

Sven
21st June 2002, 02:17 AM
Assegai doesn't have enough energy to boost well.

Vasudeva
21st June 2002, 06:23 AM
Boost energy is not really that important if your ship is fast enough.

Peace,
V.

xEik
21st June 2002, 10:02 AM
Those were true words man 8) who needs Goteki45 when you can fly with Icaras or AG-5Y5?

Eins2001
25th June 2002, 01:36 AM
No one ship is better than the other. It ALL depends on the pilot.

Lance
25th June 2002, 03:22 AM
''it ALL depends on the pilot''
really? ahem.. you and me, porto kora, vector class. i'll take icaras, you take your favourite assegai. ;)

Eins2001
25th June 2002, 03:32 AM
Bring it! *Thinks to self: I'm screwed...*

Lance
25th June 2002, 09:37 PM
lol
:D

JABBERJAW
25th June 2002, 11:53 PM
THe best ship on any track in wipeout 3 is either icarus or assegai(none other). In wipeout 3se icarus is the best on Every classic track. on the wip3out tracks it is the best on all but 3 of the them(on time trial mode)(the other 3 assegai is the best) {this of course is phantom speed] I would be willing to bet icarus is the best on any track on rapier and down by a descent margin. on the prototype tracks I am not sure. I think I had it split 2 and 2, but icarus could possibly get even one more. The ag systems will never beat the icarus on any race, but will always be second best when the icarus is the best on that track(close to qirex sometimes). It cannot beat the assegai on the tracks it is best at either. It is however a good choice for when you have to go with one ship. :D

TYSON
18th July 2002, 02:53 AM
Well I've got upto Icaras now after two days and all I have to say is that it's the BIGGEST disapoijntment ever!

:-? I totally agree with 'V'. Assegai is the best I've found, Statistically I believe AG systems is the best ship in the game, however I can't understand why my times with Assegai are better even though I crash with neither of the two ships!

I'm using W 3 SE by the way. I'm not sure who's the best in the original W 3. I don't have it yet.

Tyson

Lance
18th July 2002, 06:08 AM
the same ships are best in all versions of WO3

Sven
18th July 2002, 12:50 PM
you probably use the airbrakes less with Assegai.

surf466
27th October 2002, 10:13 PM
personally i must admit that icarus is the best especially on wo3se it can actually be used to almost opposite lock round corners ie brake left steer right and then it shoots out like nothing else however for sheer control and response nothing absolutly nothing beats the piranha ship on 2097 it just moves like its on rails and if you can master the airbrakes its awsome especially on valparisso(spelling?) on the quick turns just after the start anyway my opinon i will look at the times and see if i can beat any, what is accepted as proof of a winning time?

Sven
27th October 2002, 10:36 PM
I wish the 2097 Pirhana was in WO3...

Lance
27th October 2002, 10:47 PM
''what is accepted as proof of a winning time?''

we accept your word. plus a quart of blood each from you, your twin brother, your mom, and your prize pet parrot. and a video helps

:)

HentaiBoy
27th October 2002, 10:57 PM
I only have Icaras times up there because they happened to be the ships I did the courses the quickest. About 75% are Icaras, and the others are I think either Pirhana, Assegai or Qirex. If I pushed myself, I'd prolly make that 100% =/

zargz
28th October 2002, 03:45 AM
.. and if you can master the airbrakes its awsome especially on valparisso(spelling?)

valparaiso 8)