View Full Version : 1Up.com reveals WipEout HD

infoxicated
26th June 2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160551

8)

lunar
26th June 2007, 11:23 AM
Awesome Rob, thanks! :D

"Before the end of the year". Cripes. Time to check the wallet, and hold off on the new bathroom. :D

infoxicated
26th June 2007, 11:26 AM
No kidding - my PS3 is penciled in for September. Which, coincidentally, is also the time my bank manager is scheduled for suicide watch. ;)

Rapier Racer
26th June 2007, 11:27 AM
YEAH! at last, Wipeout back on a console in some form, now spew fourth the details what tracks what tracks!!

"Wipeout HD will feature a online multiplayer mode and, while unconfirmed, likely HD-enabled tracks from Wipeout Pulse, as well."

YES hopefully 8 or more players will be possible now with the PSN and the PS3s power, I've played more than on Motorstorm so there is no excuse for this Wipeout not being able to do the same :sonar

stin
26th June 2007, 12:01 PM
More NEWS?!!!! is anymore to come? this is getting too excited!

Well I am getting a PS3 in August coming;)

I`m looking forward to this.

stevie:)

rdmx
26th June 2007, 12:06 PM
Yeehah!
Good job I decided not to get a 360.
I sure hope they come up with a better name than WipEout HD :dizzy

Asayyeah
26th June 2007, 12:24 PM
New forum Yeah !!
Awesome news , thx Rob. I wasn't a very great ps3 fan but with that new HD coming i may changed my opinion very quickly :banzai

Rapier Racer
26th June 2007, 12:44 PM
HD is the name for the PSN release but won't be name for the proper PS3 Wipeout thats supposed to grace us in 08, good god think of the possible details they could get on that Blu Ray

Mad-Ice
26th June 2007, 01:49 PM
That's awesome!! Big big news and it will be there before the end of the year. That is so fast. I don't know if I can save the money that quickly? Question: Why is Wipeout HD called FX350? It will be released after FX400 Pulse!!! Because of a sreenshot of the original Wipeout, will this mean that we can expect some tracks from every version?

Sausehuhn
26th June 2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe something between the FX300 and FX400?

stin
26th June 2007, 02:33 PM
Very good question Max! Does that means more back story coming up?

stevie:)

RJ O'Connell
26th June 2007, 02:34 PM
OK, that was the signal for me to get a PS3. And the signal to beg for a steep price drop.

Speaking of backstory, if we're looking at an entirely new racing league inserted in between Pure and Pulse, my AG Press thread is screwed. :/

Asayyeah
26th June 2007, 03:34 PM
Why is Wipeout HD called FX350?
Possible explanation : the scene takes place in between the 2 leagues with tracks from pure & pulse : that could be awesome
Shitta on HD : to see Widescreen all the details from the walls you ll hit :D

q_dmc12
26th June 2007, 05:05 PM
Heh, whew - for a moment there I thought the next gen WipEout was announced:p

EDIT: My mistake again - I only glanced at the pic of WO1, posted then read:p

supersocks
26th June 2007, 05:05 PM
Meh. No F3600 remake after all.

RJ O'Connell
26th June 2007, 05:06 PM
You also forgot the aggravating smashes in the low-hanging billboards at Citta Nuova. Now in 1080i High-Definition, with 5.1 surround sound effects of the sickening thud that results in a dead stop!

If it were an F3600 remake they'd better not do some silly radical change, like introduce double-hull Qirex and Auricom at a time when there was no such thing. Or make tracks like Karbonis total undriveable shite like it was in Wipeout Pure.

mdhay
26th June 2007, 05:12 PM
@RJ.....
you can still do your press thread, just pretend HD never happened.

q_dmc12
26th June 2007, 05:20 PM
*no amount of words can describe how much I am laughing right now* :p

RJ O'Connell
26th June 2007, 06:13 PM
Well as Asa said, it could be a compilation of Pure (300) and Pulse (400) - most likely that's the case, unless anyone at SL (Rob, Colin) has an explanation as to why it's FX350.

Either way, it might not matter to me that much if the PS3 continues to sell badly at a price of 1 Arm and 2 Legs and I can't afford it. >_<

Hellfire_WZ
26th June 2007, 06:15 PM
*writes mental note to self*

GET A F**KING PS3! :D

Was planning on one next year but I think this is the perfect incentive to bring forward the investment ;)

The Gracer
26th June 2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry, but where is everyone getting the idea its the FX350? :\

Edit: aha, rob is speculating. sorry, followed the link from the homepage to this thread

Frances_Penfold
26th June 2007, 11:51 PM
Very interesting indeed.

Well, if there was something that would convince me to get a PS3, this would be it :)

*eagerly awaits release of additional information*

Hybrid Divide
27th June 2007, 01:24 AM
Oh look! A reason to own a PS3 has suddenly appeared!

YAY!

q_dmc12
27th June 2007, 06:08 AM
I signed up for a free one :p

infoxicated
27th June 2007, 08:07 AM
Edit: aha, rob is speculating.
Rob is in the know(!) - the FX350 Racing League it is. :)

BaldyCurly
27th June 2007, 09:34 AM
Spotted this on avforums yesterday.

At last I might have a use for my PS3 outside watching Blue Rays / DVD's!!!

bring it on Sony.

exarkann
27th June 2007, 10:41 AM
You also forgot the aggravating smashes in the low-hanging billboards at Citta Nuova. Now in 1080i High-Definition, with 5.1 surround sound effects of the sickening thud that results in a dead stop!

lol.
ps3 does 1080p.... so my new tv will be happy. however. i suppose i need to go rob a few stores so i can get the ps3.

anyways, the thing that interests me is the "major release in 2008"

RJ O'Connell
27th June 2007, 03:02 PM
I signed up for a free one :p
Please click to redeem your prize. After filling out ten more forms, then after you've given us your name, address, and IP address so we can load your computer with spyware, send us a check for the value of your prize.

But it's totally free otherwise! ;)

Sausehuhn
27th June 2007, 10:06 PM
If SL will show WO:HD at E³ it was nice if they also offer some info directly to the gamesites at the same time.
Cause trailers, filmed from an TV with a hand-camera, aren't really that nice compared to high-res sceens or trailers directly from the development studios that usually have a far better quality :)

exarkann
27th June 2007, 11:52 PM
i was under the impression that E3 was no more...

RJ O'Connell
28th June 2007, 02:04 AM
Exarkann: The super-spectacle E3 is no more.

E3 still is going on but now it's a rather low-key event this year. No more booth babes I guess :(

The Gracer
28th June 2007, 04:30 AM
Rob is in the know(!) - the FX350 Racing League it is. :)

In the know eh? My my, aren't we special. :D

They are going to have to pull a fast one on the storyline then, otherwise the story will get all muddled.

The back story is one of my favorite parts of the wipEout series, so ill be disappointed if it gets botched.

To be honest, im going to have to assume a remake of pure with all the downloadable content added. Sorry, a 'point-five' game doesnt appeal to me - until there is more info on this release im not getting my hopes up. :(

Please prove me wrong. Ive been far too negative today. whats wrong with me!?

Hybrid Divide
28th June 2007, 04:42 AM
Wowies.

WipEout graces us with TWO games in 2007.

This is going to be a big year, fellow pilots.

And now to start saving for a PS3...

Cannon_Fodder
28th June 2007, 08:36 AM
Well, Rob has been writing the backstory recently, so he's about as "in the know" as it's possible to get... I hope.

Unless Col, Karl or one of the other designers changes something and screws it all up :)

infoxicated
28th June 2007, 09:12 AM
Fortunately I knew about WipEout HD early enough that I could work around it for the WipEout Pulse backstory. It did kind of mess things up a little, though - designers weren't to blame, this time - it was the artists, I tells ya! ;)

Colin Berry
28th June 2007, 09:56 AM
In the know eh? My my, aren't we special. :D

Uhm... Rob writes the back story
Primarily because he is better at it and more enthusiastic for it than anyone else, not sure if that makes him special
His occasional blue hair makes him special !! but we havent seen that for a while :(

And no Adam !
I would dare touch the back story, nor let anyone else near it
Otherwise it would end up filled with Rocky references and orcs in Wales

Spaceboy Gajo
28th June 2007, 04:25 PM
And no Adam !
I would dare touch the back story, nor let anyone else near it
Otherwise it would end up filled with Rocky references and orcs in Wales

Are you sure you don't want to be a writer Colin? Sounds like you could've wrote a story for the Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood, with the Orcs in Wales concept. Torchwood is filmed and set in Cardiff.

Any ways, good news for Wipeout fans most definitely. Like someone said, two Wipeout titles in one year! It's like we're dreaming.

Sadly, this isn't enough to convince me on picking up a PS3. I do plan to pick one up, but a couple of titles in my opinion isn't enough to buy a PS3. Now if by some chance this is my year and I end up winning the red PS3 (http://www.playstation.ca/canadaday/en/), well then I'll be so on top of buying Wipeout HD :P

Any ways, glad to see the Wipeout universe back in Sony's favour. What a month and a half it's been!

Rapier Racer
28th June 2007, 08:52 PM
Ooo :blarg I don't like that red PS3 I think it looks truly awful, I wouldn't complain if I got it for free through could always put a bag over it

mclarensmps
28th June 2007, 09:29 PM
I am giddy with excitement about this. Specially since I have the two main things in order to make this work already. The TV and the Console. I took the hit early... well... right at the start (and living on bread and butter till i can stabalize the hit i took from that :P), and I still play my GTHD time trials :D. By the time WOHD comes out, rumble will probably be finally getting it`s final touches done on the new PS3 controllers (if they overcome their packaging problems - rumour that i heard). I wonder how you guys will integrate that into gameplay.

MMmMmmmmmm... and with the PS hooked up to my computer music collection Ooooooohhh man. I can picture it already! Good times all around

q_dmc12
28th June 2007, 10:46 PM
Ooo :blarg I don't like that red PS3 I think it looks truly awful, I wouldn't complain if I got it for free through could always put a bag over it

heh, might block the fans

Chill
29th June 2007, 05:40 AM
Mabye if you stare at it long enough, it'll turn black after awhile, like the sun... just be careful and don't go blind. ;) (I like it.)

The Gracer
30th June 2007, 05:46 AM
Uhm... Rob writes the back story

Rofl...im still pretty fresh here, i never even knew rob wrote the back story!!

Thanks for telling me guys. Man do i feel like an asshole. :paperbag

NOW THAT IM FULLY INFORMED, i have a renewed faith in the game, because i trust Rob wont 'botch' it like i said.

Well..he better not. :D

stin
30th June 2007, 06:20 AM
The Gracer!, I can give you a hint;), look at Wipeout Fusion`s credits and Pure`s booklet.

stevie;)

The Gracer
30th June 2007, 06:35 AM
I never thought to read the credits, but waheey!! look at that. Rob Foxx. In all fairness, even if i had have seen that, i wouldnt have made the connection - just because im stupid. :D

So, like, whats going on in the world of wipeout now? Spin us a yarn Rob, old pal, best buddy....(fades off into mindless greasy babble)

I KNOW, ILL BRIBE YOU WITH CAKE! :cake :+

infoxicated
30th June 2007, 09:00 AM
Beer works better! :beer

It wouldn't have been an obvious connection, even if you had read the credits. Not sure what I'm under in Fusion, probably special thanks, but for Pure it's Web Developer, so it's not as if that makes it obvious. Pretty sure it'll be Web Developer for Pulse, too.

Pure was the first one I did, and I've done most of the work on Pulse and I'll probably do some for HD if it's required. Before me it was Damon Fairclough who wrote it, and he also posts here on occasion. :)

The Gracer
30th June 2007, 09:04 AM
yeah, i followed the link to his small wipeout page the other day.

Pretty deep stuff!

P.S. would you like a beer? :beer

*grease grease*
:D

Rapier Racer
30th June 2007, 10:47 AM
Was it Damon that wrote the Fusion back story?

benjahman
30th June 2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, a WipEout HD for PS3 soon, good marketing operation, they want all WipEout players to buy a PS3 before its price go down. I think I'll wait untill the launch of the real WO next gen before to buy a PS3. It will be hard to resist I know...

RJ O'Connell
30th June 2007, 04:14 PM
Rapier: Damon's name doesn't appear in the credits for Fusion. Can't recall who it was though...I'm still thinking of that damned Dried Water sponsorship in F9000! XD

Neither was Rob! Ah, but hey, stuff happens and one day you ascend to the top and become the grand archiver of the past 150+ years of the sport (-27 after the Overtel collapse, of course) and soon I'll end up as assisstant Web Designer/Backstory Writer for the next installment on PS3. (The job ends once I wake up next morning of course...)

adelheid
1st July 2007, 07:17 PM
So will the new WO have sonic booms? I want soinc booms! Or sonic boobs, that would also be cool. :D

Chill
1st July 2007, 11:22 PM
I doubt it... sonic booms are for going really really fast, and you can only go so fast moving around tight tracks and corners, much more challenging than just going really really fast, unless the tracks have really long straight-aways, or are really large...

adelheid
2nd July 2007, 04:47 AM
A sonic boom occurs whenever you break the sound barrier: 1,225 kph (761 mph)
I'm faily certain that Wipeout ships routinely break that speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr0KdxhYgfY

Can we say "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" children? I think we can. :)

RJ O'Connell
2nd July 2007, 03:01 PM
They couldn't in Pure, the only time an anti-gravity racer in Wipeout could top that speed was in Wipeout Fusion - and the speedometer from what I heard reads twice as much as the actual speed.

q_dmc12
2nd July 2007, 04:35 PM
the zone ship could though

Chill
2nd July 2007, 05:03 PM
Ya, a sonic boom in zone mode, that would be cool!! ;)

adelheid
2nd July 2007, 06:00 PM
My thoughts exactly.
Gentlemen, I thank you for your time.

-----

Given that in fusion the numbers are double the reality, what about Mandrashee, track three? Even if you half the numbers all of those Boost Pads push you over Mach 1 by an easy 200kph.

One thing I noticed is that in WO3 some ships developed "wing-trails" at high speed, rather like Thrust in that video.... what happened to that little effect? It gave a much better feeling of speed than fiddled speedo numbers.

RJ O'Connell
2nd July 2007, 10:12 PM
I never noticed the wing-trails in WO3. Maybe it's because the NTSC-A version doesn't have it, or I'm just too slow.

Yeah, I know that sound barrier speed can be attained in Zone, but who can handle it? The thing that made the booms possible in XGIII - take a look at the track design. The tracks are LONG, and there's tons of straightaway on almost every track. Wipeout does not have many of those tracks.

adelheid
3rd July 2007, 02:20 PM
Picture it:
You're playing Zone, wizzing around Florion Height, or maybe Cubis Float, you enter the trackless area, the dust picks up... and you hit mach 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUd6Aa17H0I

Excessive, I know, but would you not feel cool as ****? Wouldn't that make it all worth it?

ED: Ooh, here's a real one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d9A2oq1N38

That would be cool too... you could have one of those light bending effects around the ship...

.....I'll be quiet now.

q_dmc12
6th July 2007, 12:58 AM
Lol, I love mythbusters (much better than brainiac imo)

I'm sorry, where were we?......

*thinking really hard*

Zone mode! I guess I'll have to pop the fusion disk in:bomb

rdmx
6th July 2007, 01:37 AM
Brainiac is more about the shits and giggles (read: Chips done quick by exploding a potato then exploding the pieces for slightly charred and underdone chips)

Medusa
26th July 2007, 03:04 AM
Let me just say, so I can get it out of my system, that if WipEout HD (or the next-gen PS3 game) does not have a better steering system than the thirty-year old D-pad or near 20-year old analog stick, I'm going to have to puke when I buy my PS3, and everytime I turn it on.
We're in the 21st century and the best Wipeout steering system yet invented was obsolete back in the 1900's!:brickwall

Please, oh please, Sony: please do not consign us to absolute WipEout hell.
(my definition = Phantom speed wipeout which costs an entire paycheque to have the privilege of playing without precise control)

mclarensmps
26th July 2007, 07:31 PM
SIXAXIS :P

Get used to it now!

Medusa
27th July 2007, 12:20 AM
Sorry I should have specified what my demand is exactly: SIXAXIS had better surpass any dpad or stick control!!

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2007, 12:24 AM
Hopefully it will. But there is the potential of input lag - which, IMO, is a huge concern.

The PS3 controller now has analog shoulder buttons. Kind of like how the Xbox 360 trigger buttons are. Wonder if that means...pressure-sensitive airbrakes?

Lance
27th July 2007, 03:31 PM
The Dreamcast controllers had analog shoulder buttons like triggers; they were great for racing games.

Dr. Angryman
27th July 2007, 04:10 PM
I was never interested in the Dreamcast. Did the system have anything else awesome that I've, sadly, missed? :?

Mark Of Insanity
27th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Technically, the Dreamcast was of the same generation as Xbox, PS2 and the Gamecube, but that didn't save it from having 64/PS1-esque graphics.
No, you didn't really miss out on much - most games that it had were not exclusively made for the Sega Dreamcast. I can't think of anything else great about it... one button in the middle for 'Start' and one analog stick. On the control side at least, there's nothing else.

(Look at this picture I found! Is it official? http://www.techgadgetforums.com/files/portable_dreamcast.jpg)

Lance
27th July 2007, 06:53 PM
''but that didn't save it from having 64/PS1-esque graphics''

IMO, you are totally wrong about this. When I got my Dreamcast, it was miles and miles ahead of the PSX. The graphics were utterly superior; it was the first of the Ubermaschinen and had hardware anti-aliasing at 640 x 480 resolution where the PSX had 320 x 240. No other console was even close. When the original X-box came out, its graphics were only a little better than the Dreamcast's. Project Gotham Racing, originally created for the Dreamcast as 'Metropolitan Street Racing' may have looked a bit better on the X, a much later and much faster running machine [700 MHz vs. 200 for the D]. Several games were designed for the Dreamcast and then modified for the PSX, or later for the PS2. Soul Calibur was probably the most famous of these.

But we digress from the topic.

Task
27th July 2007, 07:07 PM
8 ) I knew you would jump all over that one Lance.

He's right though, the Dreamcast pumped out the same sweet graphics as the arcade versions of Sould Calibur and Crazy Taxi, there were lots of people that picked it up just so they could play those two games in full-on arcade style. Of course, anyone can made a bad-looking game, so there were probably lots of Dreamcast games that didn't take full advantage of all the capabilities of the machine and came out blocky and "last-gen-looking", but it was definitely way ahead of the PSX and N64 technologically, and at most a couple steps behind the PS2 and XBox. If it had remained a contender, there's no saying how far it might have gone. I'd probably have one to play Monkey Ball on instead of a Gamecube. 8 )

RJ O'Connell
27th July 2007, 08:51 PM
So anyway, about the shiny look of these tracks in the trailer...

zargz
27th July 2007, 10:34 PM
.. does not have a better steering system than the thirty-year old D-pad or near 20-year old analog stick ..:D heh

No complaint about the D-pad here though.
and did you know that the ps2 D-pad has a 2-3 step sensitivity?
press soft - turn a bit, press harder - turn tighter!
Don't know if they used it in Fusion but was very useful in G-Surfers! ;)

Dr. Angryman
27th July 2007, 11:16 PM
I've always prefered the analog stick for some reason.... I hope you don't think any less of me because of this! :frown:

zargz
28th July 2007, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't even think about it :)
when my bro bought a ps2 with about 20 games I could barely play any of them
coz the controll in most of them was/is exclusively for the analog stick.
there wasn't even a choice/option to steer the character, craft or whatever with the D-pad!
That really suck! :mr-t

Dr. Angryman
28th July 2007, 07:00 PM
So I am different than everyone else.... Just like always.... :cold

Yay! I wouldn't prefer it any other way! :beer

Medusa
28th July 2007, 07:58 PM
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else.;)

Dr. Angryman
28th July 2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks! :g

I don't know why I prefer the stick.... It's just an anomaly....

Well, this is a discussion for somewhere else, so I'm silent on this matter for now.

RJ O'Connell
28th July 2007, 11:11 PM
Analog Stick: Great for Wipeout 64 and Fusion, average for WO3, absolute crap in Pure. The only advantage you have in Pure is that BRs are easier to execute. Straight piloting, on the other hand, is ridiculously not-precise.

Mobius
29th July 2007, 09:20 AM
I'm an analogue man too... don't you panic about it. :)

Dr. Angryman
29th July 2007, 09:55 PM
I have no problem with the nub on Pure.... In fact, I pilot better with it than I do with the D-pad.... Hehehe.... I'm wierd. :dizzy