PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on an editor? Skin sharing? Liveries?

CR4SH3D
19th June 2007, 06:18 PM
Whats all your thought on releasing a PC track editor to make pulse tracks after the initial download packs are finished?

I know the packs provide extra content, but the game will last so much longer if you could get EVEN more tracks!

Especially since some of the fan work around here (particularly some 3d stuff) is so awesome and i think that some computer skills and alot of dedication to Wipeout would give some really nice results that would look good and be challenging for us to play

What do you think?

Side note:
Does any one know or also wish that the custom skins could be shared?
(online tourneys with real teams ;) )

Colin Berry
19th June 2007, 11:15 PM
custom ship skins can be shared

CR4SH3D
19th June 2007, 11:22 PM
AWESOME!!!
Can you disclose any details of the skin editor at all? such as how much detail you can go into etc or not yet?

This will be so good for online play!

RJ O'Connell
20th June 2007, 12:16 AM
Awesome. Can't wait for custom craft that make the ships look like billboards, just like real-life F1/NASCAR/any form of motorsport ever XD

Red Bull, Coke, Puma AG, SanDisk, Sony PSP, Senor Cardgage Mortgage, Roybertito's...I can go on....

Medusa
20th June 2007, 03:03 AM
Can't wait for custom craft that make the ships look like billboards, just like real-life F1/NASCAR/any form of motorsport ever XD

Just wondering. I always loved the fact that Wipeout ships didn't have advertising plastered all over them, they were advertising their team, period. It's part of what seemed to pull me into the future, when sport would not be dictated by the mass media's hype over consumer products, constantly brainwashing us poor souls into thinking items aren't good enough unless they carry brand name power (of ie. Rothman's:p, Adidas, MasterCard "you can be indebted to us for life for free!", etc.).

I do love the idea of custom skins. Pulls me back to the stories of Manfred von Richtofen, Jagdeschwader 1...personal pilot symbols so you can curse the guy personally as he blasts past you...not that purple bunny again!!;)

RJ O'Connell
20th June 2007, 03:08 AM
Yes it was sarcasm.

I don't like the idea of ad-plastered AG racers. Cokestyle and Puma I & II (er, Al-Vaskei and Quantax) were hopefully one-shots.

Keep the corporate exposure where it belongs - in the form of Red Bull and Sony billboards around the track! ;)

rdmx
20th June 2007, 09:11 AM
I think we should get someone to design a WipeoutZone livery, so when infrastructure time comes, other people will know we are a force to be reckoned with (Except if it's DMC flying :pirate)! Leave a little spot to put our username though.

eLhabib
20th June 2007, 09:14 AM
Aren't all the respectable pilots part of the wozone community anyway? :D

Hellfire_WZ
20th June 2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe there could be a little WZ livery design *cough*competition*cough*...? ;)

CR4SH3D
20th June 2007, 04:28 PM
yeah thatll be really good to indentify regular pilots etc :)

a WOZ one would definetly rock, or just a symbol to put on all our own

Lance
20th June 2007, 04:48 PM
You know all those games that allow destruction of buildings and landscape by the weapons? Well, I don't want to go that far, but I sure would love to blast corporate billboards.

sigh, I remember when race cars had nothing on them but one or two colours and the racing numbers. It was beautiful. [another ''Good Ol' Days'' [copyrighted] moment brought to you by the old fogey.] Now your senses are not just used, they're abused.

CR4SH3D
20th June 2007, 05:55 PM
do you think rollcage stage II had the right amount of destruction?
although it would be cool, i think it would also feel out of place, arnt alot of teams sponsored in wipeout by corperations? <even though theyre not plasted with ads>

oh god, imagine wipeout craft looking like Nascars *shudders*

Sausehuhn
20th June 2007, 07:43 PM
They have sponsors on their crafts, just not that plastered.

http://cybershot.cy.funpic.de/kram/sonstige_bilder/WipEoutZone/stuff/agsys.gif

Rapier Racer
20th June 2007, 08:22 PM
While I would not like to see it in Wipeout I like it in NASCAR makes each car stand out and most look cool. 43 cars with 2 colors each and a number is a bit bland. Of course when it all boils down to it I love NASCAR for the racing so doesn't really matter.

CR4SH3D
20th June 2007, 10:19 PM
//Sausehuhn
true (isnt that weird if theyre going 600mph, who's going to see?) maybe its a tactic! your getting over taken, pilot looks at your craft, gets redbull cravings or whatever and crashes :P oh, where did you get that pic too?

//rapier racer
yeah it does kinda look cool in Nascar, except when you notice what some of them are actually advertising, i also find it interesting sometimes (yeah sorry, the crashes are the best bit if no ones hurt)

Lance
20th June 2007, 10:44 PM
Well, if you're NASCAR and you only have one racing chassis, I guess you have to do something superficial to make it seem as though there were at least a few different ones.

RJ O'Connell
21st June 2007, 03:26 PM
Red Bull FEISAR: It gives you wings but still gets outstripped by Goteki! ;)

I think the only skin projects I have in mind are just small tweaks, for my own use of course, so that I can add my characters' names to the side of the craft. Other than that, not much really.

CR4SH3D
21st June 2007, 04:48 PM
well that sounds kewl :) maybe we could all make our own small logos for the craft, and use them here as our avatars? :D

Sausehuhn
22nd June 2007, 03:50 PM
[...] Pulling away from the game itself, Sony will be launching a website soon that will let you customise the paint jobs of any of the ships using a brilliant 3D flash-based tool.

You'll be able to zoom right in on the ship and edit its shell with pixel-for-pixel accuracy, then store them on your PC for transfer to your PSP - and you'll be able to do this before the game is even released.

[...] We're yet to see all of this online stuff in action, but the site is pencilled in for an August launch, ahead of the game's September release, and it sounds like it could set new standards for inline integration into handheld games.

get the full article! (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=166232)

Rapier Racer
22nd June 2007, 07:40 PM
Oh my, that sounds great. The question is now though, do I want to tamper with my precious Assegai? Course I do I was thinking of making it red and black with a hint of gold, taking it to the dark side of AG racing lol

rageagainstgeorge
22nd June 2007, 08:40 PM
This new website sounds brilliant. I might have to make myself a Rothmans sponsered Piranha ala the 1994 to 97 Williams F1. Sweet!

Renegäde
22nd June 2007, 09:31 PM
This does seem like a top idea, it has the potential to be something truly awesome. Cant wait to give it a try when its released and to see what the rest of the WipeoutZone team can come up with.

Seems like SL are treating us big time with Pulse :D

supersocks
22nd June 2007, 11:13 PM
I got the impression from that previous article, that you can only use those skins in single player races, not online...?

CR4SH3D
23rd June 2007, 12:03 AM
i was informed that others can even download your skins so i guess they will work online :)

stin
23rd June 2007, 07:15 AM
I have a devious plan, Euro Convention`s pictures of certain guys faces then put it on the ship with faces on it with a "X" on it which means I killed them all! While we play online!;)

stevie:pirate

lunar
23rd June 2007, 08:13 AM
LOL Stevie - I was thinking of a row of little Triakis pictures down the side of my Goteki, for every Big T that I kill. The only problem is I may soon be needing a bigger ship :pirate ;)

I wonder too if these can be used online. I`d have no problem racing an arty Assegai by Max, or something else tasteful by someone, but there could also be some pretty ugly things out there to take on.

infoxicated
23rd June 2007, 09:31 AM
They can be used in multiplayer in both Ad-Hoc and Infrastructure. :)

rdmx
23rd June 2007, 10:38 AM
Just a problem, what's to stop someone from drawing a giant penis/etc on their ship :S

lunar
23rd June 2007, 10:51 AM
Not sure, but I guess we could only decide there was one piloting the ship also, then charge our plasmas and deal with him accordingly. :mr-t

RJ O'Connell
23rd June 2007, 12:23 PM
lunar: Hopefully the plasma shot will be powerful enough in multiplayer to do so in as few hits as possible.

I'm stoked about this new skin maker. And about Wipeout Pulse in general - I have faith it'll succeed XL/2097 as the best game in the series. (You may quote me on that.)

Asayyeah
23rd June 2007, 01:40 PM
from what we heard till now, i will second you strongly on that one RJO, Pulse may be the real 'beast' we are all waiting since XL/2097

q_dmc12
25th June 2007, 01:25 AM
for me its a tie between XL/2097 and W64 (essentially the same but different)

RJ O'Connell
25th June 2007, 01:32 AM
Q_dmc: Pulse could easily surpass it. I mean, it's only late June and we don't know too much about the game. But from what we have heard we're looking at potentially the best PSP game ever. (S*ck it, GTA!)

Oh and the differences include tracks, music, weapons (no plasma?) and Piranha has went from "super ship" to "cheater ship."

q_dmc12
25th June 2007, 02:19 PM
there is plasma in 64, it was renamed and made exlusively as a superweapon (auricom)

Hybrid Divide
28th June 2007, 05:04 AM
Some of the tracks on those screenshots eerily remind me of a concept track for WipEout 1. I remember seeing a screenshot once with towers that looked very similar.

Either way, I like it.

Also digging the new HUD. Though it's odd in that it curves in on some of the shots. I'm sure this'll be explained.

q_dmc12
28th June 2007, 04:55 PM
I believe that is a setting, curved or not.

CR4SH3D
30th June 2007, 12:24 AM
yeah i really like that hud too, nice touch indeed

Frances_Penfold
30th June 2007, 02:11 AM
Just a problem, what's to stop someone from drawing a giant penis/etc on their ship :S

I fully expect such to happen, though I was amazed with Mario Kart DS how relatively infrequently one saw inappropriate images / language.

Rapier Racer
30th June 2007, 11:07 AM
You know if we are all online racing and lets say I am the hoster, any ship with such nonsense on it (presumably a non WZ member) will be booted and baned from the room/whatever. I suspect that might be a universal attitude no? :banzai Can't have any of that.

Edit: Oh and theres always option B everyone attacks it till its dead lol

supersocks
30th June 2007, 11:21 AM
An option for hoster to allow only official skins would be nice.

RJ O'Connell
1st July 2007, 02:16 AM
Frances: There was a VG Cats comic dealing with that issue exactly.

I could care less, the guy would probably end up swallowing our vapour trails in a split-second - not enough time for the human eye to notice the phallus on the ship. ;)

Mad-Ice
2nd July 2007, 05:51 AM
What I would like for skins on the Wipeout ships is racings decals with racing numbers!! Just like any other race sport, every vehicle has numbers on it. I think I'll have number 3 on the front and on both sides. I just like this number!!

Rapier Racer
2nd July 2007, 11:27 AM
Hey Mad thats an idea! I want 5! Explanation here http://www.nascar.com/drivers/dps/kbusch01/cup/

Question: Will it be possible to put a copyrighted image on the ship? How well would that be received?

infoxicated
2nd July 2007, 12:10 PM
Heh! Numbers! That is a good idea. :+

I just tried it - put #72 on the side of a Goteki and it worked quite well. Not sure what it'd look like in-game, though - it would be much harder to make out in a race situation, but in photo mode you'd be able to pick it out.

As far as copyright is concerned, it's a similar situation to what they have in Forza - people are bound to recreate copyrighted material, and have done, but somehow it's not MicroSoft's problem, so there must be some kind of grey area that makes User Created Content exempt from copyright laws. Dunno, though.

Rapier Racer
2nd July 2007, 12:25 PM
I see, it's just that I think, the number 5 on that car the style it is written in and the color are copyrighted to Hendrick Motorsports, maybe I'll just change it a little

Sausehuhn
2nd July 2007, 12:29 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_art#copyright

supersocks
2nd July 2007, 02:35 PM
Makes me wonder if the program will allow upload and use of existing image files from your computer. An editor requiring to build your creation right from the beginning and not using the first image you came along in Google image search would force people to be a bit more creative. Or not.

CR4SH3D
2nd July 2007, 03:40 PM
i put on a few images i did on this pirahna
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/1464/bccraft2ou3.jpg here
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3933

looks ok but dont think youll see it when racing though

mdhay
2nd July 2007, 03:50 PM
custom pulse livery to identify each other? I can change the name on it and the colour if need be.And, I used the delta ray font, too ;)

supersocks
2nd July 2007, 04:11 PM
@ CR4SH3R : It's EG-X. Not Piranha.

Rapier Racer
2nd July 2007, 05:49 PM
@Mdhay : Might have difficulty seeing it! Dunno how clear text will be on a craft

mdhay
2nd July 2007, 06:36 PM
I can really stretch it so you can see it on ms paint.It is a png image, so it is compatible.

rageagainstgeorge
2nd July 2007, 07:52 PM
If we are going to have a Wipeout Zone clan maybe having WZ# on the side of the ship might be cool.

CR4SH3D
3rd July 2007, 10:46 PM
//supersocks
good point ;P i havent really played pure yet <is buying mates psp in a month>

//rageagainstgeorge
yeah it could be bigger then too and easier to see

Sausehuhn
10th July 2007, 06:13 PM
a Flash-based graphics editor will be available on the Wipeout website before the game ships. With this editor you can draw graphics on any of the game's several ships. There are a few different logos, plenty of layers and color palettes for you to choose from, but you can't import your own graphics.

To be changed? Hopefully. :frown:

source (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3160688&sec=PREVIEWS)

Dogg Thang
10th July 2007, 06:24 PM
That is a little bit of a shame. I don't know how difficult it is to implement (although Tony Hawks had a great feature of being able to import your own face for your character). It's going to be bad mouse-drawn squiggles all round then!

Sausehuhn
10th July 2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks to my graphic tablet it won't be too complicated to do some decent skinning. But... well. As said, not everyone has that so I'm looking forward to some pixel-"art" some people will come up with.
On the other hand, I'm sure that we will see a lot of this "art" around on online multiplayer no matter if these people can import graphics or not...

zargz
11th July 2007, 01:24 PM
I'd be ok even with the standard color-editor in many car games
(also Armored Core, a Mecha game that actually besides that feature also has got a little logo editor).
Just be able to choose the color of the 2-3 basic colors of a craft.
Like on the piranha CR4SH3D showed here you could easily change from yellow/brown pattern to blue/green for example. OR
totally Black!!! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif
But why not a mini 'pixel'-editor as well? to make your logos, one on the wings and one on the side of the craft!?
just write a number or whatever you want.
actually I'd love to just put a big fat z a r g z on both sides of the craft! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/well.gif

btw when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was gonna be about a Track editor .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/sad.gif

mclarensmps
11th July 2007, 01:47 PM
I am glad you cannot import graphics and such, it is more fun to try and create something on your own, and I am sure that people will spend hours honing their perfect livery. I, for one, have been brainstorming my McLaren Piranha/Qirex for a while now and am almost settled on the scheme i want. Let's just hope I am able to implement it :)

rageagainstgeorge
11th July 2007, 04:43 PM
i'm trying for a williams inspired pirahna. i hope they have the rothmans colours.

or british racing green (RGB 0,55,0) please!

Rapier Racer
11th July 2007, 05:24 PM
Given the fact you cant import images which I overlooked somehow before I guess I'll try to make a black red and gold livery for my Assegai 8)

RJ O'Connell
11th July 2007, 08:41 PM
Nations Cup liveries, anyone interested? I might work on that...

APVangeliLMS
27th July 2007, 01:40 PM
i hope they use sketch-up as a customizer, because i already made some cool ships with sketchup,

sketchup is a free 3d model making program provided by google. go to sketchup.com to get it and test it out. i hope they can do that, or at least make it so sketch-up can export some file to the customizert if they make one, and then its customized.

Mark Of Insanity
27th July 2007, 04:42 PM
I think there are some versions of Sketch-Up that can export to 3ds format, which is a pretty common format, so from there, it can go into almost any model format used anywhere.

However, as far as I am aware, Sketch-Up does models and anything that would be customised shipwise in Pulse would be model skins (or as players know them, liveries). So in that case, you won't be able to use your own custom ships, just custom skins for any of the base ship models.

Given the fact you cant import images which I overlooked somehow before I guess I'll try to make a black red and gold livery for my Assegai 8)

I think it might be possible to import images, but not into the official editor. The skin image files will be exported from the editor to your PSP, but if, once they were on your PSP, you edited them with imported images, they would then be more than what the editor allows. But I don't know what format the skins will be stored in so I can't confirm the possibility. However, if it is the case that they are stored in formats that can't be directly edited with conventional image editors, it may be that someone out there will have already created an editor than can interact and edit the images in their own format.

Dr. Angryman
27th July 2007, 11:48 PM
I've never used a 3D rendering program...is it easy?

mdhay
28th July 2007, 08:08 AM
No. Not really unless you had C.A.D~C.A.M classes in your high school.
Try and get 3d canvas, it is a good place to start.

swift killer
20th August 2007, 09:47 PM
Other than the Mag Strip sections, the livery creation feature on WipEout Pulse is the biggest innovation in the latest in this epic AG Racing series.

So lets get this rolling, how will you be customising your ships???

Will you be reviving the classic styles?

Will you be repping yourself?

Or, and i know some of you will do this, humiliate your chosen ship with a livery poking fun at it? (eg.x team carrot is alive!!!)

Feel free to post in drawings as long as they are hyperlinked/attached and not embeded.

mdhay
20th August 2007, 11:27 PM
I am currently working on a modified 'zone banner.

swift killer
21st August 2007, 08:41 AM
being indian, its ineviatable im going to shame the middle eastern team, im planning on covering mirage with pigskin!

q_dmc12
22nd August 2007, 12:53 PM
I've never used a 3D rendering program...is it easy?

try sketchup or wings3d

Dr. Angryman
22nd August 2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks, q dmc12! :) I'll be sure to take that into consideration! ;)