PDA

View Full Version : Pulse Preview Code Impressions!

eLhabib
15th June 2007, 06:59 PM
***UPDATE: Scroll down for Firstlook of wipEout:Pulse! Screens included!***

Hi guys, been a while.
Without further ado, on to the interesting stuff: as some of you might know, I started a gaming blog together with a friend. Well, today I received a preview code UMD of wipEout:Pulse!!! I just completed a couple of races a minute ago, and I am pretty amazed at what I am seeing. Sorry to say I don't have much time right now to write about it, but expect a full feature with screens and whatnot by Sunday afternoon on my gaming blog (www.elhabib.at (http://www.elhabib.at)) - and yes, it's in german, but don't worry, I'll provide you all with an indepth look in english tongue here in this thread. Check back here frequently!

*WOOOOOOO, I'm EXCITED!!!*

Sausehuhn
15th June 2007, 08:14 PM
damn why is it just the language and not also the location we have in common?

Congrats mate. Please give us some video, too :)

Riccardo Raccis
15th June 2007, 08:24 PM
Crikey. What do I have to do to get a preview UMD too?

Oh by the way - kudos man :D

What are EG-X's stats compared to the other teams?

q_dmc12
16th June 2007, 04:12 AM
damn why is it just the language and not also the location we have in common?

Congrats mate. Please give us some video, too :)

Well, we could call it the Nordic language ;)

Piranha5p33d5
16th June 2007, 06:08 AM
We await your input with baited breath eLhabib..

:sonar

MAMUTH
16th June 2007, 08:46 AM
wooow... i´m really looking forward...give us some video as well...I can´t wait till september (too bad it will take another half year before it will come to czech republic :( )

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 12:13 PM
Alright guys, this is it. Just played through the first couple of Single Player events and now it's time to give you all the info you want!

Where do I start? First of all, the art style: as I stated before, a perfect blend of purE and w3o, so pretty much a dream come true for me and many others around here. The HUD is very slick, minimalistic, with a very noticeable w3o touch - cool thing about the new HUD: it blurs with the speed as you activate a turbo or go over a speed pad, it shakes as your ship gets hit or bottoms out!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_121815.jpg
Triakis on the starting grid, with new, dynamic HUD

Also, there is a new, oval hub mode (as seen above), which defaults to the 1st person view, but you can set it to be permanent (which I instantly did, because it looks SO sweet!) kinda looks like the hud from Metroid Prime, if you happen to know that one, like the inside of a concave windshield - very cool!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_121720.jpg

Game graphics are crisp and smooth, like you would expect from purE's sequel, no noticeable slowdowns so far. Style is pretty much similar to purE, maybe a bit more technical (haven't seen any lush environments á la Blueridge yet - but I am sure there are).

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070615_194731.jpg
mag strip action

Track design: as you know, there are those fancy new mag strips, which glue you to the track, which makes some pretty cool track layouts possible, like vertical sections, spirals and loops. Basically it makes the rollercoaster elements from Fusion possible again, without having to alter the floaty physics - oh, yeah, PHYSICS! Quite a bit floatier than purE's, pitch control now does a significant amount of difference in jumps and also when cornering (I already managed to cut some corner-shortcuts ;)), so w3o fans rejoice, it's getting there! Of course, the physics are cancelled out when on a mag strip, but these parts of track are usually rather short and only for some fancy effect (rather dull challenge-wise, seeing as a loop or spiral is basically a straight line to fly along) But cool nevertheless!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_122938.jpg
a vertical drop and ascent, fusion memories ;)

Ship design: the ships we know from purE are back with pretty much the same designs, but more elaborate, and more detail. Feisar, AG Systems, Assegai, Triakis, Qirex, and Piranha are pretty much what they were in purE, Goteki has a new design which resembles w3o, and....

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_115722.jpg
the new old Goteki

...AND (Max, listen up!) there is a new team named EG.X, which, judging by it's name and colors, is a joint force of EG.r and Xios - awesome!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_122910.jpg
EG.X on a shortcut section

All the pics you see here were taken using the ingame PHOTO FEATURE, which is only available in-race, means I can't take any menu shots with it. I will, however post pics of the menu and all the ships' stat screens once I've figured out a way to take decent quality pics of the PSP screen with my digicam.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_115313.jpg
AG-5Y5, still agile and feeble

What the photo mode does is, it let's you take a picture whenever you pause the game, lets you choose different camera settings, zoom, and wether the HUD should be turned off or on, and then, after you take the picture, automatically puts it in an own 'wipeout' labelled folder on your memory stick - perfect! The quality is as you see here - no editing done on my part.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_121831.jpg
right before the GO!

ok what else can I tell you? AH, very excited about this one: in one of the loading screens, it says you will be able to design your own livery on wipeout.com (not online yet, I checked ;)) and then download it to your PSP for use in single and multiplayer races! Now THAT is what I have been waiting for!!! Can't wait to see what the zoners come up with!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_121034.jpg
alone in the dark

Furthermore, there are now difficulty settings for the Single Player mode (has nothing to do with speed, just AI difficulty). My major concern up front is, that HARD is stil NOT HARD! :( I managed to win easily so far, but then I only did about 20 races. I hope this will turn out to be a really tough challenge eventually, but still, maybe the guys at SL could crank it up even more - right now, 'hard' feels like purE's difficulty (which should be 'medium' IMO - make 'hard' REALLY HARD PLEASE!)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070615_195713.jpg
my darling assegai

well, that's all I can think of right now, didn't go into detail about tracks and weapons yet because I simply don't know what's what yet. I will give you insight on tracks, ships, weapons once I have played a little more, definitely before next weekend.
If any of you have special requests or unanswered questions (I'm sure you have), I will provide info (and pictures) as quickly as possible. Sorry, I don't have a convenient way to make a gameplay video just yet, but I will figure something out!

enjoy, Space Cowboys!

benjahman
16th June 2007, 12:41 PM
Woww!! Very very nice eLhabib, thanks a lot for your time. Your screenshots let us know a little bit more on pulse now, I really don't know how the f_ck you were able to play on pulse before everybody but you are damn hell lucky man. Thanks again !

Riccardo Raccis
16th June 2007, 12:45 PM
Oh SO SWEET:banzai

Thank you dude, that's some kindness.

Customized liveries huh? I can see some madness ensue (and possibly some HORRIBLE liveries to be seen in the future. But c'est la vie :D)

Oh and we finally get to see the famed mag lock visual effect. Quite cool I might say. Do the vertical mag sections give the vertigo feel I'm expecting? (please say yes)

QUESTION: what about the teams stats? Is Qirex back to being Qirex? (are you listening Feliks?) Is Assegai ultra-manouverable again? How does EG-X perform?

As a side note: Triakis with camo livery - should have had one since Pure ;)

Oh boy I just can't wait :banzai

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 02:08 PM
Little update again.
It seems like I played through all there is to the preview code UMD, which is sadly only the first 3 stages of the Single Player Mode, consisting of a total of 24 events, including:

- Single Race: normal race with weapons against a field of 7 other racers

- Time Trial: alone against the clock, total race time counts

- Tournament: a series of races, points accumulate

- Speed Lap *NEW*: ten laps alone on track, best lap counts (one turbo per lap, same as Time Trial)

- Zone *NEW*: not the zone mode we used to know, but like a mixture of fusion's and purE's zone modes. you can use every single track in the game as zone track, in which case it gets a zone-style graphical makeover (very slick, track layout stays the same). you can still choose from teams, every team has an own zone ship design (can't tell if the stats differ between teams in zone mode, but I wouldn't think they do, so choice of team is only cosmetic here). rest stays the same - you gradually build up speed until you burn ;) it seems a lot easier than in purE, you hardly lose energy from crashing. I managed to get up to zone 30 on my first attempt on a track I didn't know - maybe this will get tweaked.

what's more?
well, there IS some slowdown here and there, as well as some sound-hiccups, especially if you get fired at from behind. however, this is early preview code, so we have hopes that this will be ironed out.

Apart from the 'Race Campaign', as the career mode is called, there is the 'Racebox', which lets you create your own races, choose track, speed class, number of rivals on track, AI difficulty, weapons on or off etc.
Since the career portion of the preview UMD only takes place in Venom and Flash, I tried out Phantom in the Racebox mode, and boy it sure feels a tad faster than purE's phantom! unfortunately, the framerate seemed like it couldn't keep up with the speed here, but again, I have faith this will be fixed. Vector, btw, seems to be completely absent from the game (but hey, who cares? :D)

I will give you a breakdown of the 5 tracks and 8 teams in the preview version (and some of the weapons) a bit later today, possibly tomorrow - have to wait untill it's dark outside to be able to make pretty pictures of the menues with my digicam.

again, if you want to know anything specific I haven't mentioned yet, feel free to ask!

Riccardo Raccis
16th June 2007, 03:00 PM
One minor glitch: is it me or the track texturing is a little inconsistent here and there? See the "mag strip action" pic.

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 03:03 PM
there are some issues here and there. flying through walls, texture pop-in, disappearing speedpads - but this is early code, I'm sure this will be fixed.

Medusa
16th June 2007, 03:04 PM
:clap Ohhh...*gasp* it does remind me of WO3!:hyper

Thank you so much eLhabib, I am so glad to see it looks more realistic, less cartooney if you will (judging from screenshots).

(Although I am sad to see that AG SYS is still relegated to the weak pile. Someday they have to put it back where it was in the F3600 league.)

Riccardo Raccis
16th June 2007, 03:10 PM
there are some issues here and there. flying through walls, texture pop-in, disappearing speedpads - but this is early code, I'm sure this will be fixed.

Oh okay :D

Back to those teams and tracks alright :hyper ;)

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 03:58 PM
sorry Lance, forgot about the picture size limit - it's been a while y'know ;)

RJ O'Connell
16th June 2007, 04:03 PM
Do you think you could, at the very least, PM the ship stats? It's for my whole log of fanfic news posts about the FX400, which can be read here (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3912).

Right now they're doing winter testing. I assume there hasn't been any radical changes in performance (FEISAR, AG-S)

q_dmc12
16th June 2007, 04:09 PM
Thank you soo much Martin!:clap

I assume the method inwhich you obtained a beta disk is a trade secret..;)

Lance
16th June 2007, 04:10 PM
Too long, Martin; you're not here nearly enough. :)

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 04:16 PM
I know, Lance, did you forget I used to hang around here a lot...

@q_dmc12: as I said, I have a gaming blog and we are currently getting pretty big (for Austrian standads), so we get stuff directly from the publishers. It's common use, and I am sure all other gamesites got the very same disc a couple of days ago, so you can expect a lot of features on all kinds of gamesites this or next week. I was just one of the fastest, that's all ;)

as for the ship stats (please don't forget: this is a preview build, all of this is subject to change):

Feisar:
speed 7
thrust 8
handling 10
shield 8

AG Systems:
speed 7
thrust 9
handling 9
shield 8

Assegai:
speed 8
thrust 8
handling 9
shield 7

EG-X:
speed 8
thrust 9
handling 7
shield 7

Piranha:
speed 10
thrust 6
handling 6
shield 9

Qirex:
speed 8
thrust 7
handling 8
shield 9

Triakis:
speed 9
thrust 6
handling 6
shield 10

Goteki 45:
speed 7
thrust 10
handling 7
shield 8

I will post pics of each craft tonight, maybe even the stat screens (photographed), but at least something like this:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/wo_20070616_143933.jpg

Riccardo Raccis
16th June 2007, 05:30 PM
How nice that the stats are X/10 instead of X/5. Allows for more flexibility. I remember suggesting something like that. Go me! :p

So, like... Triakis is the new Qirex and Qirex is the new Auricom. Bold move here: Auricom ain't featured in the core game.

In the end, the Russians won :robot

EG.X looks nice, sharing the same combined speed-thrust total with Goteki. HMMM.

Good luck handling that Piranha (wonder what my beloved Icaras will be stat'd like :banzai).

That Assegai looks sexy.

It's all gonna be obscenely fun.

Thank you again eLhabib 8)

JABBERJAW
16th June 2007, 05:42 PM
Does pitch control bring you higher off the track on the flat sections like wipeout 3? how is the acceleration?

supersocks
16th June 2007, 05:44 PM
Are there extra sparkles or such in those parts of mag-strips where there is need for extra force to keep crafts to the track? Like when going full speed to a tight drop.

Is it possible to detach from the track in said sections if there is enough speed and multiple crafts at a time? ;)

Sausehuhn
16th June 2007, 06:08 PM
IAm I right that you still enjoy Assegai as your craft of choice, Martin? So it has stayed more or less the Pure-Assegai in terms of handling.
That would be nice, because I take Assegai for me too (in Pure) and EG.X has same stats in terms of handling. :)

That way the switch back to my beloved team won't be too complicated :)

RJ O'Connell
16th June 2007, 06:21 PM
EG-X looks like a tosser - in future development, they could try and add two more points to the speed, handling, or shield - something feels a bit off with the EG-SMF1.

Riccardo Raccis
16th June 2007, 07:02 PM
I think it's fairly balanced. Well of course a lil more characterization is always welcome but I'm liking what I see.

infoxicated
16th June 2007, 07:14 PM
Does pitch control bring you higher off the track on the flat sections like wipeout 3? how is the acceleration?
Yes - the dynamics have been re-done, so pulling back lifts you and pushing forward drops the ride height. The acceleration is way faster than Pure - that was one of the first things I beat Colin up about when Pulse was given the green light. That and his hair cut. ;)

Colin Berry
16th June 2007, 08:01 PM
says the guy with the blue hair....

regarding difficulty

the preview code is deliberately easy for two reasons

1) the people it was mainly going to need to now get stuck
2) the difficulty was still being played with when it was done, in fact its still being mucked around with now, the aim is to make the HARD as hard as we can whilst passing QA, meaning provided one person can complete it, when it is in test, then thats fine.

Also the easy will be easy, to the point where most on here will do it eyes shut, Easy is designed for people not just new to the psp, but also new to wipeout and even to race games, its designed for people who as of yet havent built up any skills.. ok.. in short its designed for Foxxy.

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 08:13 PM
rofl
well if the HARD setting only needs to be completed by one person to pass QA, let it be tweaked by Arnaud :D

concerning the acceleration - I haven't really noticed a big improve there (but it never bothered me in purE), that only really matters in the slower speed classes (or flower speed classes, as they say 8)) I guess...

@Max: yes, the Assegai handles pretty much exactly like in purE (thankfully), the EG-X is quite similar, too, but has a little more bite to it - might become my new ride of choice once I get used to it (and it looks fab!)

now that it's dark enough to avoid reflections, I will try and take some pics of the menues and the ship select screen.

Asayyeah
16th June 2007, 08:19 PM
lmao
MArtin you cheeky blighter !;)
I envy you matey for playing this new incredible game
Thx a lot for your review & pics :+

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 08:52 PM
I'll do my best to provide you with as much info as you are craving for :)

Hellfire_WZ
16th June 2007, 08:54 PM
I'm loving the look of this so far, and it's only the preview build! I've also got something I can use to put together a template for the guide now, I'd like to get that done as soon as possible after release.

Colin Berry
16th June 2007, 10:09 PM
If I am honest I would guess my boss and sony marketing would frown on the preview code being passed around, but I can check this week.

If I just say 'yeah no problem' likelihood is I'll get in trouble somehow... :D

Hellfire_WZ
16th June 2007, 10:15 PM
You know where to come if you need anyone to test the Hard mode AI later on though ;)

q_dmc12
16th June 2007, 10:33 PM
ok.. in short its designed for Foxxy.

:oOoooh, ouch - even I felt that one.:cold

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 10:41 PM
Teams update! Go check out pictures from the ship select screen (which I took with my digicam, but the quality turned out quite OK) on my games blog - www.eLhabib.at (http://www.eLhabib.at)

enjoy!

Hellfire_WZ
16th June 2007, 10:45 PM
Wow, the Qirex has gone back to the old design. In fact, it looks almost identical to Puma 2!

Rapier Racer
16th June 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know if you can answer this one its a little specific, quakes, do they still smash your ship even if you are 100000000 feet in the air, off the track, no where near the ground, with the birdies etc lol

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 11:05 PM
in case I will be hit by a quake while in midair (chances are slim, only saw 2 quakes in total so far), I will let you know the answer to that ;)

Rapier Racer
16th June 2007, 11:09 PM
Oh one last thing about quakes, I hear it is not possible to turn your ship around and fire it backwards, can you confirm that? Also is it possible to turn your ship around and fire ANY weapon the wrong way?

stin
16th June 2007, 11:12 PM
As ASA way?, which I`m hope not in near future!

stevie;)

eLhabib
16th June 2007, 11:13 PM
haha, I can confirm that turning around and firing a quake backwards STILL WORKS. I did that with the first (and only) quake I have got so far :D I'm quite sure it works with all the weapons.

q_dmc12
17th June 2007, 12:02 AM
I like the WO3 flatness of the ships, it brings back that word - "nostalgic";):p

JABBERJAW
17th June 2007, 12:43 AM
Sounds awesome with the physics and acceleration. Really looking foward to it now. I'd really like the quake hitting when you are above it to be gone and the wuss wagon to be a little more lenient :)

Please don't lock the game at 266 or whatever speed. And if possible, don't require firmware xxx to run it. that is more than annoying, Especially with the ps3

Task
17th June 2007, 01:26 AM
WO3 flatness? No way, they're definitely flatter than that!
These are the flattest ships I've seen. They really look like something that's supposed to be flying through the air, and not supposed to contact the ground.
I'm surprised by how much I like it!

q_dmc12
17th June 2007, 02:32 AM
Please don't lock the game at 266 or whatever speed.

Actually, 266 might just be enough to compensate for the framerate dip - most if not all psp games are locked at 222 MHz by default.

Dogg Thang
17th June 2007, 08:21 AM
Euw! I go to your site and, rather than Wipeout pictures, I get a bloody finger? Yikes!

The pics are great (the Wipeout ones, not the bloody finger). Goteki's colour is really odd - it's like a mix of Goteki and Icaras, but I love the WO3-inspired shape. Task is right, these are really flat! I love the designs. Qirex in particular looks fantastic, as does Assegai. Piranha still looks like a shoe but I'll get over that. Even EG-X, the bastard son of Fusion, looks pretty nice.

Great stuff! Thanks for the pics! But not so much for the bloody finger.

Mad-Ice
17th June 2007, 09:27 AM
Just seeing all the nice words and pictures posted by eLhabib just now!!! This is really of the hook everything is just looking so smooth and superb! Yes I am one of those sreaming:"ME ME ME" Sorry can't help it, but I have to test it myself of course. Just like everyone else here is gonna say that! ;)

Thanks mate for these updates and previews of this amazing game that will bring us all even closer!!!!

infoxicated
17th June 2007, 10:55 AM
And if possible, don't require firmware xxx to run it. that is more than annoying, Especially with the ps3
Personally, I hope it requires the highest possible version of the firmware - and one that that asshole Dark Alex cant crack. :mr-t

Riccardo Raccis
17th June 2007, 02:52 PM
Love the ships' flatness too. And EG.X looks amazing (also: check eL's video: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3928 ). It looks like FEISAR's chubby brother... which, strange as it may sound, turns out splendid 8) (EG.X's stats and looks may very well make it my new team of choice while I wait for Icaras to come out :banzai)

All in all the looks of Pulse are so very... compact, and solid. Really lovely.

JABBERJAW
17th June 2007, 03:24 PM
As long as the highest firmware runs at 333, thats fine with me.

Colin Berry
17th June 2007, 04:37 PM
Such things are not in the hands of the dev team but in the hands of Sony HQ

Sausehuhn
17th June 2007, 06:42 PM
Visual damage?

eLhabib
17th June 2007, 07:29 PM
haven't noticed any...

Rapier Racer
17th June 2007, 07:49 PM
Hope it stays that way I hated the visual damage its dirty and nasty and not Wipeout

Frances_Penfold
17th June 2007, 09:16 PM
Awesome thread-- thanks for taking the time to give the impressions (and thanks to SL for sending out the preview!)

Here are some questions, though I am first to admit that the demo version may not be the best basis to answer:

1. Does the game handle "sleep" mode? One frustration with Pure was that sleep mode frequently glitched the game out or caused an outright crash for the PSP.

2. Does the game have ghosts for Time Trial mode, and if so, are they lap or race ghosts? I'd sure love to have full race ghosts rather than the lap ghosts! :D

3. Is there any indication of a replay mode for Time Trials? I'd sure love to have a replay mode for being able to compare racing strategies with other Wipeout fans.

Lance
17th June 2007, 09:28 PM
....the visual damage its dirty and nasty and not Wipeout

Yep.

`

q_dmc12
18th June 2007, 01:37 AM
Personally, I hope it requires the highest possible version of the firmware - and one that that asshole Dark Alex cant crack. :mr-t

ooh, there really is a war between Sony and the hackers:o

Spaceboy Gajo
18th June 2007, 01:44 AM
I wonder why Auricom has been cut from the roster. Not that I am a big fan of theirs. As you can see, you guys know were I have pledged my allegiance too ;)

Two reasons why this (the exclusion of one of the founding teams in Wipeout) bugs me are :

(1) Half of the team is from Canada :P (Or at least from the F3600 days.)
(2) Once piloted by the beautiful Pascale Rouser :P

I guess they'll (Auricom) be downloadable. Was their design more of the same with the rest of the ships? That would be my only other guess.

Any ways, all kidding aside let me say thanks eLhabib for the previews. Really looking forward to this. These crumbs of info are actually satisfying my hunger for this game. Which shouldn't be the case. However, there's way more details coming out for this game that I cannot eat it all up.

RJ O'Connell
18th June 2007, 02:05 AM
Auricom has been confirmed as a download team. They have even been seen in the first six screenshots.

You're also forgetting that Arial Tetsuo, Ana Cherovoski, and Natasha Belmondo (pre-Fusion timeline) raced for Auricom. ;)

q_dmc12
18th June 2007, 04:09 AM
"Don't make me steamroll you. Steamroller! "

LOL, Goo-loogoogoogoogoogoogoo! Goo-loogoogoogoogoogoogwho!:p

Uhmm, right Auricom - Go North America!:D

rdmx
18th June 2007, 06:11 AM
No Auricom in first release? (cue Luke Skywalker) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

cybrpnk
18th June 2007, 06:53 AM
Holy hell...

Been away for ages form the forums due to uni work (last exam was today...consumer behaviour...elgh) and I come back to this...!!! WOW!!! I wasn't sure how the mag strips were implemented to start off with but it looks damn promising. Love the new concave HUD... If you say the physics are floatier I believe you Habib...lol...closer to 2097??? Anyway...looking at screenies...it looks a lot sharper. Another thing...Zone Mode on any track!!! YES!!! What I always wanted out of Pure. That would extend the replyability of Pulse a million fold. I can see it already...time trial times and zone mode challenges online...can't wait...my psp is hungry for more speed...

eLhabib
18th June 2007, 07:17 AM
Awesome thread-- thanks for taking the time to give the impressions (and thanks to SL for sending out the preview!)

Here are some questions, though I am first to admit that the demo version may not be the best basis to answer:

1. Does the game handle "sleep" mode? One frustration with Pure was that sleep mode frequently glitched the game out or caused an outright crash for the PSP.

2. Does the game have ghosts for Time Trial mode, and if so, are they lap or race ghosts? I'd sure love to have full race ghosts rather than the lap ghosts! :D

3. Is there any indication of a replay mode for Time Trials? I'd sure love to have a replay mode for being able to compare racing strategies with other Wipeout fans.

1) the preview version handles sleep mode without any trouble at all, but who knows if this is gonna carry over to the final game (but I would guess they have figured that one out by now...)

2) ghosts are there, but only for the fastest lap (or at least I haven't seen any for a full TT)

3) no replays whatsoever. I think Colin has already stated that there will be no replays.

@Spaceboy Gajo: Auricom is definitely gonna be in the game (be it from the start or per download) - I've seen tons of Auricom banners trackside.

infoxicated
18th June 2007, 08:24 AM
Rob, Colin, please inform me if this is not okay with you and I will of course drop the idea. Just wanna be sure SL is fine with this!Speaking for myself - do you honestly think I have the kind of authority to allow a reviewer to hand around preview code of an unfinished game to the public?

If so, you're very mistaken and to cover my own ass I'm going to have to make it known that I was asked and wanted no part of it. I wouldn't fancy your chances of receiving preview code in future when you're so willing to flaunt the privilage.

eLhabib
18th June 2007, 11:21 AM
I fully understand and I am sorry to have caused trouble for you and this site. I guess exlusive screens and videos will have to do, then ;)

Lance
18th June 2007, 05:22 PM
I fully understand and I am sorry to have caused trouble for you and this site. I guess exlusive screens and videos will have to do, then ;)

[I am breaking the no immediate full quote rule here just to make sure we have the exact statement on record.]

I don't know how others see your last remark plus wink, Martin, but it makes it seem smart-ass and like you're not really sorry.

You may correctly assume that this would make me angry. Would you like to 'clarify'?

eLhabib
18th June 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. I am indeed sorry of what happened, as Rob can most likely assure you - we had quite an intense mail exchange today and I am now aware of the stir I've caused. I didn't realise what this would mean and never had the intention to act against anyone's interests (especially not SL's, Sony's and ultimately this site's). Don't let a (badly placed) smiley lead you in a wrong direction. I'd guess you know me well enough from years past on these forums.

Spaceboy Gajo
18th June 2007, 07:19 PM
You're also forgetting that Arial Tetsuo, Ana Cherovoski, and Natasha Belmondo (pre-Fusion timeline) raced for Auricom. ;)

Thanks for the job in my memory RJ! Pascale is the only one that really matters ;)

RJ O'Connell
19th June 2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the job in my memory RJ! Pascale is the only one that really matters ;)
Don't forget John Q. Doe from the WOXL days ;)

Anyway, back on topic before I unintentionally derail the thread...

eLhabib
19th June 2007, 09:27 PM
Here's back on topic for you: I've put up a ton of new screens on my blog www.elhabib.at (http://www.elhabib.at) - go check them out!

... and this one's just for you, Max ;)
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k166/eLhabib/wipeout%20pulse/ships/wo_20070616_221621.jpg

CR4SH3D
19th June 2007, 10:19 PM
looks sweet, question
are you getting those screens from like after the race ends or something? (how are you getting cool angles without a replay feature?)

also has that demo got any of the custom team skins features in it? (im assuming not)

Riccardo Raccis
19th June 2007, 10:20 PM
Oh me oh my! Love the effect of the turbo. Not only the HUD gets the blur, but look at the ships themselves.

I think I'm in love with Talon's Junction. So far it gets the prize for most stunning track.

...but De Konstruct also looks fab.

Is it me or we get to know Qirex's new slogan? Highspeed revolution!:banzai

Also, the new logo is awesome too, and I also happen to love the new ship.

Damn I wanna hear the Kraftwerk tune.

q_dmc12
20th June 2007, 05:19 AM
ugh, I love it already!!

I want it.:clap

eLhabib
20th June 2007, 06:57 AM
In Photo mode, you can choose from 4 camera perspectives: standard behind the ship, veryclose to the ship, in front of the ship, looking back at it (like a rear view of someone in front of you), and track view (like a spectator view of someone standing near the track section your ship is on). In track view you can also zoom in.

No, unfortunately the livery design feature is NOT in the preview - just a loading screen that tells you to go to wipeout.com, design a livery there and then download it to the game.

The Kraftwerk tune is one I haven't ever heard before (but then I don't know that many Kraftwerk songs), and it's one of my least favorites of the tracks I have heard so far in Pulse. There are some REALLY sweet tracks in there!

Mad-Ice
20th June 2007, 08:58 AM
This is a very nice feature! I am affraid that my internal memory of my PC and PSP will be full soon!!:D

CR4SH3D
20th June 2007, 04:04 PM
sweet that sounds cool :) thanks

rageagainstgeorge
21st June 2007, 06:15 PM
I have to say, after seeing all the preview stuff, this is the most excited i've been about a game since the weeks before GT4 came out.

A couple of questions though:

Firstly, why are some of you so against the custom firmware? I could probably understand the issues with the dubious legal standpoint, but is it really that bad?

Secondly, apologies if this has been stated, but what is the sensation of speed like? Faster or slower than Pure?

CR4SH3D
21st June 2007, 07:47 PM
i think some people still see it as ripping off other companies etc, i for one will probably downgrade when i buy my mates psp, just because of the extra stuff you can do, and im sorry if people are against say playing .iso files of games, but if i have wip3out and 2097 then why shouldnt i be able to for free? i already bought them (are remakes not ripping US off?)

to add to those questions though;
is there a confirmed effect the quake has on mag strips?

lunar
21st June 2007, 08:49 PM
but if i have wip3out and 2097 then why shouldnt i be able to for free? i already bought them

I would say that you bought your original copy of these games with a right to use them on the Playstation or PS2 system. Anything else is probably a very grey area.

are remakes not ripping US off?

No. You don`t have to buy them. You had good value out of the original game, and got what you paid for. If you don`t think remakes are a good deal then don`t buy them. The Playstation Store games are pretty cheap. As an analogy, you can`t justify stealing a luxury item from a shop by claiming you only did so because you thought the shopkeeper was charging too much.

why are some of you so against the custom firmware? I could probably understand the issues with the dubious legal standpoint, but is it really that bad?

There is partly the legal/piracy thing, but the biggest reason for me is that custom firmwares and overclocking programs made a mess out of Pure as a game, at least for me.

Anyway, I`ve been off-topic more than long enough here.

eLhabib
22nd June 2007, 06:53 AM
To answer the wipEout:Pulse related questions:
- Phantom and Rapier definitely feel faster than in purE, Venom and Flash are about the same as in purE, and Vector seems to have been scrapped.
- Haven't experienced any quakes on a magstrip yet. I'll let you know as soon as I've tried that one out.

infoxicated
22nd June 2007, 07:52 AM
Like the man above said, although it should be noted that although there probably isn't much difference in the top-end speed, the acceleration is much faster across the board in Pulse. So high speed is much more attainable - even in ships that might have been traditionally sluggish out of a corner. :)

The Uncreated
22nd June 2007, 11:28 AM
Well, the improved speed sensation is a welcome relief. Looking at those pictures with all their gleaming and in some cases transparent surfaces, I thought performance would have to be sacrified in some way.

- U

infoxicated
22nd June 2007, 11:32 AM
I think it's been said before, but the levels actually have less polygons in them than Pure levels do. This is to accomodate the closer racing and having more ships on screen at one time. However, the artists are a damn talented bunch of people who are now getting really impressive stuff from their work on the PSP despite having less polys. :)

Asayyeah
22nd June 2007, 11:38 AM
They ve learnt how to maximalize psp's capabilities and that's a good point, i really hope we can race multiplayer at 8 without too many slowdowns. Will they minor the detailled background while racing multi or the game itself supports multi at 8 without changing the background?

infoxicated
22nd June 2007, 12:10 PM
huh?!

The levels wont change for multiplayer.

This time round they're more suited to having ships bunched together, which is obviously better for multiplayer.

JABBERJAW
22nd June 2007, 03:29 PM
Lets at least have 10% more speed on phantom. :)

Mad-Ice
22nd June 2007, 04:54 PM
If Pulse is able to support: 8 multiplayers infra-structure without any lag on phantom, then I will be in Wipeout Heaven!!

q_dmc12
25th June 2007, 01:01 AM
I think it's been said before, but the levels actually have less polygons in them than Pure levels do. This is to accomodate the closer racing and having more ships on screen at one time. However, the artists are a damn talented bunch of people who are now getting really impressive stuff from their work on the PSP despite having less polys. :)

Kudos to the designers/artists:beer

Rapier Racer
25th June 2007, 05:33 PM
8 player online mayhem sounds great, I was not so sure that the PSP could handle this though as we saw in Amsterdam where Kai was not a factor, the PSP struggled badly to support 6 players, I'm assuming the increased processor power will help

Mobius
25th June 2007, 06:22 PM
It may've been due to the fact that someone may've had their WLAN power save on, or the automatic channel was selected rather than a preset.

Mind you, pulse apparantly can tap into routers for LAN mode, so whereas one psp processes allt he communiques, you can get the wireless router do it instead. Which means less to process and hopefully less lag.*

Ooh, it's been a while since I've sounded intellectual - I miss it terribly. :cold

*Confirmation i'm not talking total cobblers appreciated...

eLhabib
28th June 2007, 12:22 PM
For those interested, I posted some Zone Mode pictures on my blog.

Sausehuhn
28th June 2007, 12:48 PM
Niiice :)

The Uncreated
28th June 2007, 01:29 PM
For those interested, I posted some Zone Mode pictures on my blog.

Translated.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elhabib.at%2F2007%2F0 6%2F28%2Fwipeoutpulse-preview-zone-mode%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

And might I add, the ship at the absoute bottom right of the zone images is teh sek-say!

Uncreated

Sausehuhn
28th June 2007, 01:33 PM
Hahaha, that translation is too good :D

But you know the content anyway.

RJ O'Connell
28th June 2007, 03:51 PM
I just don't see how I can manage Zone 30 and above without airbrakes.

Hell, usually I can't manage Zone 30+ WITH airbrakes!

rageagainstgeorge
28th June 2007, 04:30 PM
which track is that in the zone preview? it looks pretty swish.

q_dmc12
28th June 2007, 04:53 PM
anyone else notice a twitching when viewing that page - very buggy on my end:frown:

The Uncreated
28th June 2007, 05:38 PM
Way more Pulse pics. Good to see they've taken a queue from Tron 2.0 (which I still play) with all the hyper glow 'n stuff.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/New-WipEout-Pulse-details-and-screenshots/pg/49/aid/96224

Uncreated

Spaceboy Gajo
28th June 2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the link Uncreated!

Looks like the views into the cockpits are staying. :drool:

The Uncreated
28th June 2007, 06:47 PM
I love the look overall, however, the behind ship perspective seems a bit skewed. The Assegai looks as if it's standing on its hind legs, so to speak. The ship's perspective needs to be rotated forward to make it look like it isn't catwalking down the track.

Uncreated

Mad-Ice
28th June 2007, 08:14 PM
Man this is looking so sweet!!! Nice touch to be able to see the pilot.

Dogg Thang
28th June 2007, 08:40 PM
These shots are great. The lighting effects are superb and the tracks look very cool. It does all seem very like an extension of the Delta pack - they're all very sci-fi. The textures on the craft seem a little busy but I'd say that probably doesn't matter in motion. The colours are superb - I love that it's all so bright this time around!

I was just thinking looking at the shots that it seems very much like Pure 2. To me, that's a great thing but it would be the first WO sequel that matches the previous game. The first four WO games are all world's apart in feel. Oh, actually except WO64 - does that count? I love Pure so I'm all for an evolution this time out.

Does anyone know what the announcer sounds like this time around?

Rapier Racer
28th June 2007, 08:59 PM
Look at all those Assegai piccies IGN have good taste :+

Edit: How come some pics of the Assegai show it with 3 trails? That some sort of loyalty bonus upgrade thingie? Or when you get a turbo boost extra thrust appears

RJ O'Connell
28th June 2007, 09:56 PM
D-o-double-g: Of course Wipeout 64 counts, even if it was published by an unfamiliar company (so was Wipeout Fusion in the US) and is on a rival console.

Assegai is looking sharp this year! Let's hope the maneuverability can compensate for the tissue shields. :D

q_dmc12
28th June 2007, 10:54 PM
...they're all very sci-fi. Does anyone know what the announcer sounds like this time around?

hmm, ...Mr. Spock:D

Frances_Penfold
29th June 2007, 12:57 AM
More Pulse pictures PLUS a video of in-game racing.

http://www.pspgen.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4268

Looking good!

RJ O'Connell
29th June 2007, 03:12 AM
The video looks sweet, but that pilot does it absolutely no justice.

Reminds me of myself when I started. -___-

Frances_Penfold
29th June 2007, 04:44 AM
Yeah, the player really sucks. To be fair, it's likely he's trying to control the vehicle while holding a digital camera ;)

q_dmc12
29th June 2007, 04:55 AM
the airbrake loading screen looks like one of xdirex's illustrations (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3822&highlight=turn+airbrakes+pure)

The Uncreated
29th June 2007, 06:34 AM
"Finished" the game. Anything you all want to know about it besides the fact homing missles have been slowed WAY down, at least in this preview version?

Preliminary impressions. Track design is far better in this version -- way more conducive to flat out racing. There aren't as many harsh hairpins as in Pure. Wall clipping exists, as I did boost clear through a few supposedly solid overpasses. I'm sure it'll be worked out in the final version. Found at least one interesting shortcut (that wasn't particuarly easy to get to, I must say). Control on the magstrips is very twitchy; best is to simply line oneself up straight down the strip and hang on for the ride.

Musically the few tracks in the game were, on average, very alien and moody with a slow 4-4 ambient sort of vibe. Overall the game reminds me a lot of the movie Minority Report (my favourite movie).

The few ships that I did try did not exhibit any glaring control differences as they did in Pure; the A.G. does not seem to accelarate as meanly as it did before, mostly because I suppose all the ships have generally higher acceleration stats themselves. The vehicles generally feel more responsive overall. As for recovery from things like bombs and missles, the ship still does "float" to the outside of the track, but the travel is cut roughly in half before the craft begins going again.

I didn't get a chance to preview the Phantom class (didn't seem to be in the demo, unless I missed it), but I can say the Flash class is plenty fast and I ran into virtually zero slowdown despite all the glow and transparent surfaces.

That's all for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/icephreak/snap017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/icephreak/snap016.jpg

Uncreated

Dogg Thang
29th June 2007, 07:52 AM
hmm, ...Mr. Spock:D

Leonard Nimoy as announcer would be the ultimate in cool. Colin! Colin! Are you listening?! Foxy, tell Colin he should get Leonard Nimoy!

If you get Leonard Nimoy, can you get me an autograph?

Vote for Nimoy!

supersocks
29th June 2007, 08:54 AM
More hexagons...

Ah, how I hate those loading screen tips. They are usefull the first time when you see them, but might get quite annoying over time when you're desperately trying to complete a phantom tournament in hard difficulty level. "Use both airbrakes" Really? I didn't know that! Thanks a lot! :o

Mad-Ice
29th June 2007, 08:58 AM
Those screens look real great. However I think Qirex in Pulse looks like Puma 2 in Pure. Qirex lost her sexy looks on Pulse.

lunar
29th June 2007, 09:57 AM
Pure Qirex did look great, but I love the new one also - kind of traditional but really really big and scary looking. :cold :+

eLhabib
29th June 2007, 11:20 AM
"Finished" the game. Anything you all want to know about it besides the fact homing missles have been slowed WAY down, at least in this preview version?

Preliminary impressions. Track design is far better in this version -- way more conducive to flat out racing. There aren't as many harsh hairpins as in Pure. Wall clipping exists, as I did boost clear through a few supposedly solid overpasses. I'm sure it'll be worked out in the final version. Found at least one interesting shortcut (that wasn't particuarly easy to get to, I must say). Control on the magstrips is very twitchy; best is to simply line oneself up straight down the strip and hang on for the ride.

Musically the few tracks in the game were, on average, very alien and moody with a slow 4-4 ambient sort of vibe. Overall the game reminds me a lot of the movie Minority Report (my favourite movie).

The few ships that I did try did not exhibit any glaring control differences as they did in Pure; the A.G. does not seem to accelarate as meanly as it did before, mostly because I suppose all the ships have generally higher acceleration stats themselves. The vehicles generally feel more responsive overall. As for recovery from things like bombs and missles, the ship still does "float" to the outside of the track, but the travel is cut roughly in half before the craft begins going again.

I didn't get a chance to preview the Phantom class (didn't seem to be in the demo, unless I missed it), but I can say the Flash class is plenty fast and I ran into virtually zero slowdown despite all the glow and transparent surfaces.

That's all for now.

Uncreated

You can play at phantom speed in the preview. Just go to 'Racebox', you'll find it all there.

@Rapier Racer: three thrust trails appear when you get a boost.

Sausehuhn
29th June 2007, 01:13 PM
Did I miss anything here? Where did you get the Demo from, Uncreated?

Rapier Racer
29th June 2007, 02:03 PM
Assegai is looking sharp this year! Let's hope the maneuverability can compensate for the tissue shields. :D

Seriously lol? You thought Pures Assegai had tissue shields? :banzai You best keep away from AG-S, Harimau, Pirnaha, Icaras, Feisar, Puma 1 and Van-Uber then ;)

Oh thats a really cool feature extra thrust trails when you get a boost, me like.

Asayyeah
29th June 2007, 02:11 PM
Uncreated has found through the web ( only this explanation possible) a copy of the pulse preview , this is highly risky for the zone.
Not serious :mad:

infoxicated
29th June 2007, 02:16 PM
**** it - people have been warned before about sharing illegal downloads on this site, so if they want to go ahead and do it I'll ban them and hope that the site isn't implicated.

Just another of the reasons I hate the custom OS crowd - while they're all jizzing themselves off at being able to play pirate games ripped onto the torrents, those of us who are trying to keep clear of that kind of thing get our noses rubbed in it.

Sausehuhn
29th June 2007, 02:25 PM
@ Asa

I was not going to ask where to get it from. It was obviously, wasn't it? It was more a hint to you admins and moderators.
Sorry if things looked different. Next time - if there's a "next time" - I'll be more clear on this.

RJ O'Connell
29th June 2007, 03:06 PM
Rapier Racer: I knew Assegai in Pure could actually take some damage. But the FX400 installment is tied for lowest shield rating with EG-X (7/10), although when Icaras is release you can be assured they'll be taking the crown of "Easiest to Destroy" with flying colours.

And sigh, here's another piracy issue rearing it's morbidly obese and ugly head...it doesn't surprise me that someone and anyone could find that demo and irresponsibly put it on the web. I actually typed "Wipeout Pulse" in a search on a Torrent client and found the EU preview code was being offered by two clients. I refrained from downloading it, because I have too much respect and gratitude to Studio Liverpool to do such a thing as pirate off the preview code and give the proverbial middle finger to all of your efforts.

Though if you honest-to-God absolutely positively have to get it off the web, it would make absolutely perfect sense not to go to this forum and discuss how "omgz liek i just gots the pulse demo off of mininova it rulz guys srsyl". Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher, jeez!

The fact that the developers and others involved with the series interact and discuss with the people that simply enjoy playing the games is something I like here. What other game community does that? Sadly, not many. Jeopardising such a bond would lead to even bad things down the road and would likely lead to something like the fall of Overtel for the Wipeout community. And that would be a damn shame.

There's my two cents.

The Uncreated
29th June 2007, 03:11 PM
Well done.

Uncreated

Sausehuhn
29th June 2007, 03:48 PM
more images (http://www.sonyprotectiongroup.com/?/content/view/212/1/)

xdirex
30th June 2007, 04:57 AM
the airbrake loading screen looks like one of xdirex's illustrations (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3822&highlight=turn+airbrakes+pure)

Sweet! I take full credit! I'll hope the cheques in the mail! ;)

Just kidding. I have to say the game is looking absolutely amazing, and like others have stated, I really haven't been this excited about a new game (or anything for that matter) for an extremely long time. :hyper

Well done guys. Hurry up, September!

Rapier Racer
30th June 2007, 11:01 AM
Rapier Racer: I knew Assegai in Pure could actually take some damage. But the FX400 installment is tied for lowest shield rating with EG-X (7/10)

Ah yes you are correct, don't get your hopes up though! You'll still have a hard time trying to kill me :D

7/10 sounds like plenty, if it were something like 5 out of 10 then that could have posed a problem

The Gracer
1st July 2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, its pretty pathetic when people cant wait for the legitimate demos and games, and begin to revert to 'other methods' to fix their impatience.

Frankly, im glad Rob takes such a forceful stance on the issue - losing the relationship we have with SL could be quite dramatic, as this is practically an 'official' WipEout fansite. Without Rob or Colin, this would just be another nerdy little fansite.

(oh crap, does belonging to a fan forum make me a nerd?! just saying 'fan forum' makes me cringe. :paperbag)

Now that ive got that off my chest.... ;)

Pulse looks amazing! Well done SL, it looks like the next installment is still going much to my liking. Which is how i like things to run. Hehe.

q_dmc12
1st July 2007, 02:13 AM
Amen to that!

Hmm.., its not a fan forum *queue cringe* - its an idea farm.;)

The Gracer
1st July 2007, 03:12 AM
idea farm? does that make me a battery hen?! Is that worse than being labbled a nerd?!

These questions and more answered in next installment.... :P

Roz
1st July 2007, 10:42 AM
Just posting to support Studio Liverpool. Keep up the amazing work guys and you're sure to get my good money for Pulse.

:+

rageagainstgeorge
1st July 2007, 11:38 AM
Post removed by me. I didn't mean to offend (i think thats the right word) anyone. Apologies.

Rapier Racer
1st July 2007, 11:53 AM
Uh, I can't really believe you actually went ahead and posted that

rageagainstgeorge
1st July 2007, 12:02 PM
Removed by me. See below post.

kekken3
1st July 2007, 12:09 PM
It's not about anyone being afraid of losing their money. I suggest to read this again, rageagainstgeorge:

quoted for emphasis: :frown:

And sigh, here's another piracy issue rearing it's morbidly obese and ugly head...it doesn't surprise me that someone and anyone could find that demo and irresponsibly put it on the web. I actually typed "Wipeout Pulse" in a search on a Torrent client and found the EU preview code was being offered by two clients. I refrained from downloading it, because I have too much respect and gratitude to Studio Liverpool to do such a thing as pirate off the preview code and give the proverbial middle finger to all of your efforts.

Though if you honest-to-God absolutely positively have to get it off the web, it would make absolutely perfect sense not to go to this forum and discuss how "omgz liek i just gots the pulse demo off of mininova it rulz guys srsyl". Talk about shooting yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher, jeez!

The fact that the developers and others involved with the series interact and discuss with the people that simply enjoy playing the games is something I like here. What other game community does that? Sadly, not many. Jeopardising such a bond would lead to even bad things down the road and would likely lead to something like the fall of Overtel for the Wipeout community. And that would be a damn shame.

There's my two cents.

On this point, I also apologize for my previous Custom Firmware-related posts. My intent was good, as well as that of other posters was. I just missed the tact to see the bigger picture.

rageagainstgeorge
1st July 2007, 12:17 PM
i've removed the post. I really didn't mean to offend or upset anyone. I was just excited about Pulse, that's all.

I don't want to get into an argument about piracy either. I'll reiterate: I don't support piracy in anyway, and will certainly be buying a legal copy of the game (maybe more than one if regions get different content).

On a side note, my friend, who's version i played, will also be buying a copy of the game.

UPDATE:

I've read a lot of information around the site. I didn't realise that this had happened before and that the poster was such an idiot.

I only posted this to give some more info regarding Pulse. If i'd have bothered to read all the other posts and annoucements I certainly wouldn't have posted it. Sorry.

Asayyeah
1st July 2007, 02:34 PM
No worries George.
I can understand all this excitation around Pulse but we need to be careful and strict on few points to let this community living as long as we can.

Imagine on september when we all have the final UMD in hands, this will be brilliant! that's the unique point we need to keep in mind.

rageagainstgeorge
1st July 2007, 03:15 PM
I realise that now. I got a little carried away. Roll on September!

RJ O'Connell
1st July 2007, 03:23 PM
It could be September here.

It could also be October, but that's beside the point. I'm doing all I can aside from stealing to get myself amped for this game. Mag-Strips, Proton Cannons, EG-X, Loops, Drops, Sweeps, Pings, Pongs...:D

phl0w
2nd July 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm doing all I can aside from stealing to get myself amped for this game.

And it's not as if it was the one and only game ^^ Plenty to play during summer on my side (FFXII, only 240 Golds in purE so far, WO3SE if I ever get my PS2 back *argh*.)

I don't exactly know why, but I don't even feel tempted to download the preview .iso
Maybe that's because I'm pretty sure it would completely ruin my experience with pulsE, what with its being a "preview". I'd rather experience the finished game at its fullest, than buy it prejudiced by having played a preview, thus knowing all its flaws or already being bored of 5 tracks (10 if you count their reverse versions too) of the game.
Anyway, I really like what I'm seeing on eLhabib's blog, although it's somehow already too much I know. I should refrain from spoiling myself with pulsE information from the net ^^

lunar
2nd July 2007, 09:17 PM
Though I do appreciate what we`ve been shown so far, I understand your point about not wanting to see too much. I don`t want to spoil that moment of unwrapping a new Wipeout game, the great smell of the factory and plastic wrapping, then slotting it into my PSP, discovering all kinds of lovely amazing surprises, and it not coming out of the umd slot again while I play the arse off it for two years or so. :hyper

Roz
2nd July 2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry, for off-topic, but is it really going to be out on September? Need to know so I don't blow all of my cash on the holidays.

RJ O'Connell
2nd July 2007, 10:30 PM
EU users have known it's September for awhile.

US, JP and AU dates have yet to be confirmed, but I am assuming unless there's a Fusion-esque situation it'll be out within a week or two in at least the NTSC-A region.

stin
2nd July 2007, 10:39 PM
No, it will be only one region;)

here is the link

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62440&postcount=29

stevie:)

RJ O'Connell
3rd July 2007, 12:19 AM
By "NTSC-A Region" I meant Canada & the US.

So let me rephrase: Hopefully, it will be out in the US & Canada shortly around the time of the EU release, am I right...?

Roz
3rd July 2007, 12:38 AM
Awesomeness. Thanks guys.

Dogg Thang
3rd July 2007, 05:55 AM
If there are no online region restrictions, doesn't that mean that downloaded content would have to be cross compatible?

infoxicated
3rd July 2007, 08:37 AM
This time around there wont be different downloads for different regions, so the titles will match up - unlike last time.

Dogg Thang
3rd July 2007, 08:45 AM
Ah! That's great to know. It means I won't have to buy three different versions this time!

supersocks
3rd July 2007, 09:13 AM
But there'll still be three different cover designs? ;)

phl0w
3rd July 2007, 10:02 AM
Since when do handheld games come in different TV-standard-formats? There's no such thing as an NTSC or PAL PSP game, only an US, J or EU (UK and contintental Europe) version, that's got nothing to do with PAL, NTSC, SECAM, or on whatever standard TV sets run there

infoxicated
3rd July 2007, 10:20 AM
It's just the conventional way of dividing up the regions.

Historically, aside from the different TV standards, NTSC-A versions have only needed localising into American-English, while PAL versions have needed at least English, French, Italian, German and Spanish (EFIGS).

Sometimes old habits die hard (4.0). ;)

Fascia
3rd July 2007, 10:51 AM
It's just the conventional way of dividing up the regions.

Historically, aside from the different TV standards, NTSC-A versions have only needed localising into American-English, while PAL versions have needed at least English, French, Italian, German and Spanish (EFIGS).

Sometimes old habits die hard (4.0). ;)

...Best joke today.

Frances_Penfold
3rd July 2007, 03:44 PM
I was wondering about the "different region version" issues as well. Glad to know that we are (probably) looking at (effectively) a single version to be released worldwide, with the same downloadable content.

So... does this mean that for time trial competition and the like that there will be a single ladder for JPN, NA and EUR versions? Just curious.

I'll be watching release dates closely as we get closer to September, trying to decide if it's worth importing to get the game a few week early :hyper

infoxicated
3rd July 2007, 04:19 PM
So... does this mean that for time trial competition and the like that there will be a single ladder for JPN, NA and EUR versions? Just curious.
Oooh... that's a good question.

I have no idea. :dizzy

Asayyeah
3rd July 2007, 08:16 PM
If yes Pulse could have been called WipEout Unified
8)

G'Kyl
3rd July 2007, 10:02 PM
If there will be ladders on the official webpage, will there be WOZ tables at all? I'm thinking Fusion... Or is WOZ going to be the official Site for record hunters? ;) Has this been discussed before? So many questions, so litte time. Zathras!

Ben (tired)

infoxicated
3rd July 2007, 10:18 PM
LOL!

Zathras was awesome! :D

Sadly, Zathras creature of great burden. ;)

I don't know if I'm at liberty to say anything about the official site, but I imagine WipEoutZone will step in if there's a shortfall in functionality.

Task
4th July 2007, 12:49 AM
No one understand Zathrus. Not even Zathrus understand Zathrus!

Spaceboy Gajo
4th July 2007, 03:57 AM
B5 fans here? All this time? Wow! Looking forward to Lost Tales. Now I got something else to have talk to Task about over drinks on Saturday ;)

Back to Pulse, I really hope we get a definitive answer about when the game is coming to my side of the pond. I'm glad that Europe will be getting the game first. Lord knows you guys get shafted a lot of times for release dates. I'm really worrying that the ball may be dropped with all this momentum the game has. Especially with the gaming press here in North America. They're making it sound like PSP's killer app.

Frances_Penfold
4th July 2007, 04:00 AM
If yes Pulse could have been called WipEout Unified
8)

I'm definitely in favor of a unified ladder system, for two reasons. First, it makes participants' life much simpler-- you don't have to buy separate versions of the game to participate with the most active region.

Second, it should help consolidate competition. The ladder system for WOZ is awesome, however, IMO, it suffers a bit from having so many options for participation. Not only are there multiple games but there are multiple regions for each, and then lap and race times, time trials and single races, and five different speed classes. Anything that consolidates gamer efforts into a smaller number of events is a good thing, or at least, it would seem that way to me ;)

RJ O'Connell
4th July 2007, 05:25 AM
Gajo: It is the PSP's killer app, don't you know. Of course, my idea of North American reception towards WipEout games has always been

"It's an outstanding game, but it's biggest flaw is that it's not Grand Theft Auto/Halo 3/Final Fantasy MCMLXCVII."

No offense, but I've always felt that the mainstream gaming press here has essentially given WO the shaft....-_- and the IGN features were all from IGN Australia, don't you know.

Sausehuhn
4th July 2007, 10:32 AM
by RJ O'Connell

Final Fantasy MCMLXCVII

ahahah :D that made me laugh :)

q_dmc12
5th July 2007, 12:52 AM
MCMLXCVII

That's not even a real number - think you made a typo after the 50 (L)...or perhaps the L is the typo...MCMXCVII (1997)??

JABBERJAW
5th July 2007, 01:26 AM
I'm getting a little sick of the speed blur, it's kinda a cheap way of making it look faster(and the graphics look like crap in the process). If you are actually getting a speed boost, that should make it look faster I think. I don't mind the blur, but only at very high speeds, not every time you hit a pad or a boost. I think I would like it better with a little quick blur then return to normal graphics a spit second later.

q_dmc12
5th July 2007, 02:43 AM
based on your post i'll assume you dl'd an iso...if what you describe is correct I can imagine how annoying that would be/get - I agree with your suggestion.

infoxicated
5th July 2007, 12:40 PM
I'm getting a little sick of the speed blur, it's kinda a cheap way of making it look faster(and the graphics look like crap in the process). If you are actually getting a speed boost, that should make it look faster I think. I don't mind the blur, but only at very high speeds, not every time you hit a pad or a boost. I think I would like it better with a little quick blur then return to normal graphics a spit second later.
Al, let me make myself crystal clear.

I will ban you if you talk of playing a rip of the Pulse preview code.

You have no special privelages, you have no status above anyone else. You will get no second chance. Post again about this and you are history.