PDA

View Full Version : Pure on PC monitor (via RemoteJoy)

xdirex
19th May 2007, 06:49 PM
There's an awesome new utlity that's floating around the homebrew scene called RemoteJoy, and it allows you to output the display of your PSP to your PC's monitor via USB.

Check out these (extremely crappy) photos of Wipeout Pure in demonstration mode on my (extremely dusty) 17" laptop monitor! You can see my psp in the corner.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5739/imgp0922nv5.jpg

It actually plays really smoothly, with no noticable lag (maybe only a frame or two, nothing that affects gameplay). I played a few laps of Phantom to confirm this. I'd watched a few videos on Youtube where the PC display seemed noticably behind the PSP display, but thankfully this wasn't the case for me (could be my PC specs are pretty good for running this?).

Obviously the PSP screen gets stretched to fit on the monitor, but it still looks great, somewhere in between what a PS1 and PS2 look like on a TV screen (closer to that of a PS2 because of the nice effects in my opinion). I haven't tried yet, but I think that running this to a TV via my laptop's TV-Out would give a really nice result.

You can also use your keyboard to control the PSP, and I'm sure Gamepad support will feature soon (there are tools will acheive this already).

The software is still pretty buggy. It crashed on me several times, and I can't get it to take up the full area of my monitor, but for an early beta copy, this is shaping up nicely.

I've wanted to play Wipeout Pure on a big screen since I got a PSP, but I was never too interested in any of the previous TV-Out solutions that were available. This awesome tool is something I've looked forward to for a long time! :D

More info here: http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-release-pc-remotejoy-gui-v15-170507-108083.html

infoxicated
19th May 2007, 07:21 PM
I've deleted all the image links. :-

Read the guidelines carefully before posting again on this forum.

supersocks
19th May 2007, 07:45 PM
infoxicated: I've deleted all the image links. :-

Last edited by xdirex : Today at 07:22 PM. Reason: Fix the photos before people laugh at me! 8(

Tehe :D

But wow. This came like from nowhere to me.

infoxicated
19th May 2007, 08:26 PM
Okay, that's twice I've had to edit it now.

The maximum size of image or images you can post is 50k. I think it's perfectly clear in the guidelines - xdirex, tell me how you managed to miss it and I'll see what I can do about making it clearer in future.

xdirex
19th May 2007, 09:16 PM
The maximum size of image or images you can post is 50k.

Ok, ok. To my credit, when I exported the 2 photos from Photoshop, it quoted me at under 25kb per image. Unfortunately, I didn't check the properties once they'd been saved, as I would have realised that the measly 25kb I'd been aiming for had actually turned into more like 45kb 'size on disk'. My mistake, sorry, etc.

...tell me how you managed to miss it and I'll see what I can do about making it clearer in futureMaybe make the font really big, and in capitals? Blinking? Definitely in purple....

(Sorry! Friendly dig :D)

Back to the topic at hand. Err, RemoteJoy is really cool...

username
19th May 2007, 11:51 PM
wow you have found something really kool here! i currently have v3.40 on my psp :( and really need to somehow degrade so that i can install the custom OS that is required!

Is there any downgrade - ables available that anyone knows of?

what is the resolution like on it, is it bitty when enlarged, or still good?

xdirex
20th May 2007, 02:14 AM
I think the last official firmware that you can downgrade from right now is 3.03, and for that you need an unpatced copy of GTA Liberty City Stories. So, unfortunately, you're gonna have to wait quite a while for a downgrader.

The resolution is, as I stated before, stretched, but it actually looks pretty good at TV size. If you consider that most 3D PS1 games ran at 256×224 (Wip3out being one of the few high-resolution games for the system running at 640 x 480), and compare this to the PSPs 470 x 272 resolution, you can see that it compares pretty favourably, especially when you consider all of the additional effects the PSP is capable of.

q_dmc12
20th May 2007, 01:21 PM
I haven't tried yet, but I think that running this to a TV via my laptop's TV-Out would give a really nice result.

Yeah, and open the door for recording purposes.:+

I think the last official firmware that you can downgrade from right now is 3.03, and for that you need an unpatced copy of GTA Liberty City Stories.

I still have my unpatched copy :smug:

Sausehuhn
20th May 2007, 04:54 PM
haha, now that I wanna run it with the GUI it doesn't even load the game. I can't even go to the profile loading screen...

(running on 3.03 OE-C)

MAMUTH
20th May 2007, 08:23 PM
yeah same problem with me, but i was able to play it when i started those two files you have to use after loading my profile,then it worked fine (though i had to run it only in 222mhz,otherwise it lagged)
yeah and another small problem when you finish the race it freezes because of autosave feature :(

Sausehuhn
20th May 2007, 09:21 PM
Okay, got it running, but it crashes every time it has to load something from the memory stick (the animation keeps on going but that's it). Even when I've unplugged the USB, it makes no difference.
Probably has something to to with the activated plugins. I don't know.

And I still run it on something around 12 FPS, which has something to do with wrong configuration or with the length of my USB-cable which could be too long to transfer the date fast enough.

Dav657
21st May 2007, 02:05 AM
Ok really confused on this. I get it load my xmb and all that other stuff but whenever i try to run a game it just crashes. As long as i stay in the xmb i seem to be fine but whenever i run a game it crashes :mad:

MAMUTH
21st May 2007, 12:03 PM
well its just a beta,so dont expect miracles, it has some bugs,but imo they will do something about it in few next releases

Sausehuhn
21st May 2007, 03:16 PM
I get up to ~24 fps if I deactivate the last two plugins.