PDA

View Full Version : Man, I'll tell you what. . .

quickbeam
18th May 2007, 08:17 PM
I've been playing Extreme G and Extreme G II for a long time on the '64. But after a few laps of Terrafumos on Phantom, those two games feel like a walk in the park with my 105-year-old arthritic grandmother!

Anyway, there are three hairpin turns basically at the end of the track, and I'm having a hard time of it trying to get through them all without crashing into the side at least once. Any tips?

q_dmc12
18th May 2007, 10:45 PM
I hate Terrafumos, now Al is saying its one of the tracks in the tournament, WHY!!!? :(

Sorry, eveyone's ears ok? - I blew a tantrum there, sorry everyone.:paperbag

Task
19th May 2007, 12:53 PM
Hard and early airbraking is the way to start. Once you can get through the turns slowly via serious airbrakes, then you can start to consider faster methods of navigation.

quickbeam
19th May 2007, 03:47 PM
About airbraking: I think I've accidentally pushed both shoulder buttons simultaneously while airbraking and gotten even more of a dramatic strafing movement out of my vehicle. Is that a glitch, or is that how it's supposed to work?

--------

Sorry, that should read: I've pushed both shoulder buttons while TURNING . . .

q_dmc12
20th May 2007, 01:30 PM
weeeell, logically *physics lesson* pushing both airbrakes would create more drag thus slowing you down - in the case of rapier or phantom, slowing enough to compensate inertia and comparable to vector or venon speeds allowing you to make the turn.:D

Somebody correct me if I made a mistake...

Lance
20th May 2007, 01:54 PM
WO3 works the same way; slowing down radically increases the result of steering. The ship will turn much farther in any given distance for any given amount of steering input. This is an effect in yaw, rotation around an axis drawn from the top of the ship to the bottom through the ship's center of mass, perpendicular to the longitudinal and transverse axes.

For instance, if you're headed down a long straight and get hit with a rocket just as you've turned into the curve at the end, the slowdown caused by the rocket will result in the ship turning much more sharply than it would have at the speed it was running before the hit. The usual result for me is that the ship turns into the trackwall. A similar thing would happen if you're already turning and apply both airbrakes. The amount of steering that would have happened in a given time still occurs, but because you're running slower than you thought you'd be it happens before you get around the curve and have a free straight path to follow. In Wipeout this often happens so fast that you don't have time to back off the steering before you crash or get severely off the racing line you were trying for.

I've never noticed a similar increase in effect on pitch as one slows down, though maybe it's just because I wasn't paying attention, even though there's really an effect?

JABBERJAW
31st May 2007, 05:00 PM
Pitch back the entire time and you will have no problem

Lance
31st May 2007, 06:52 PM
?????

q_dmc12
31st May 2007, 10:56 PM
Pitch back the entire time and you will have no problem

Haha, a little sarcasm no doubt - you can't be serious!!?:blarg

JABBERJAW
6th June 2007, 03:31 PM
yes, serious, through the hairpin turns from the original topic. It gives you a far wider scraping radius.

q_dmc12
7th June 2007, 03:42 AM
lol, thought you meant the entire track - a little tired on this latitude:p

username
19th June 2007, 11:30 PM
WO3 works the same way; slowing down radically increases the result of steering. The ship will turn much farther in any given distance for any given amount of steering input. This is an effect in yaw, rotation around an axis drawn from the top of the ship to the bottom through the ship's center of mass, perpendicular to the longitudinal and transverse axes.

For instance, if you're headed down a long straight and get hit with a rocket just as you've turned into the curve at the end, the slowdown caused by the rocket will result in the ship turning much more sharply than it would have at the speed it was running before the hit. The usual result for me is that the ship turns into the trackwall. A similar thing would happen if you're already turning and apply both airbrakes. The amount of steering that would have happened in a given time still occurs, but because you're running slower than you thought you'd be it happens before you get around the curve and have a free straight path to follow. In Wipeout this often happens so fast that you don't have time to back off the steering before you crash or get severely off the racing line you were trying for.

I've never noticed a similar increase in effect on pitch as one slows down, though maybe it's just because I wasn't paying attention, even though there's really an effect?

Your correct - this happens to me very much in phantom, on porto kora, that final turn before the straight (the one near the massive drainage pipes). i get hit with rockets, and then before i can even blink i smack on the inside of the curve. very annoying.

JABBERJAW : do you really pull the nose of the craft up all of the time? or just o some nasty corners do you mean?
If you mean just on some corners, then yer, sometimes this can help. However it increases the chance of your thumb slipping and losing control :S