PDA

View Full Version : Bottoming out in TR venom w/ qirex

element42
2nd May 2007, 07:30 PM
So, to get back into playing WO full-on, I set myself the challenge of getting into the top 5 of everything in Talons Reach. Not so bad as I'm already in half of them (and top of one :D), but the interesting one is lap time in Venom because of course the fastest is with the Qirex.
So I've managed a 25:0 but I just can't stop bottoming out after the first little hump (after the hard right at the bottom of the big hill) :paperbag. I've tried several pitching techniques with no success, can I get some advice from the Qirex pros?
Also, when is the best time to boost? I've been using it at the end of the lap but I just read the G'Kyls post in the piloting tips and that suggests using it (in Phantom) over the humps I'm having trouble with - same for Venom?

BTW, my wrists hurt like hell. I haven't used a negcon this much for months. I hope they've adjusted before I get to Phantom...

Asayyeah
2nd May 2007, 10:43 PM
i know about Negcon & Wrist incompatibility when too much time playing on other controller than Neggie... after 2 or 3 night sessions you won't have any pain anyway , just let your wrist have time to get the hand on it ( ermm if this sentence is meaning something in english :paperbag )

About where i am getting my boost : it's after the 'C' section , at the top of the hill i get it and get into the wall to have the best line possible into the tunnel. I haven't practised it since a long time , but this technique doesn't belong to the ' stick-to-the-track' player but you know i am not the man to be glued to the track :bat i am for the Free Flying Team :bat
;)

element42
3rd May 2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the tip!
... I haven't practised it since a long time ...Yeah, I kind of think I may be alone in playing the older WOs, esp. with Pulse coming soon... After I get these TR records I might play with the original for a bit, it seems that Steve is active in the tables there at least.

Asayyeah
3rd May 2007, 04:42 PM
I warn you Mo , if you strongly decide to smash my preciousss TR phantom scores i will be very :robot and Dag's one on rapier, count on Le Havre's crazy team for a prompt ' kick yer arse ' answer :beer

WipEout is another story, i know i need to practise on it but the 2 last times i tried i was totally playing like that : :redface:

Lance
3rd May 2007, 06:28 PM
Last time I played WO, I was totally playing like :turd

phl0w
3rd May 2007, 09:34 PM
Suffer the same symptoms after having neglected my playing the piano for some time and trying to catch up in 5 hour sessions :) Just be sure it's not turning into a tendosynovitis or something nasty like that. WipeOut is fun, but it's not worth ruining your wrists, especially if you don't live from playing it ;)

I also recommend buying on of these: Gyrotwister (http://www.gyrotwister.de/start.php?pageID=en-0-0-0-0)
Bought this 5 years ago and it works like a charm.

element42
4th May 2007, 09:56 AM
Actually my wrists were okay last night with an hour or so spent in Phantom. What hurt the most was my hands being stuck into a negcon-gripping shape! I had to pry them open.
Anyway, Arnuad, I can honestly say that the chances of me beating your 14:4 are approaching zero. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try though! :D

Having recently re-acquired and tested all the WOs, I can honestly say my ability in both the original and W30 is: :paperbag. I think that's an incentive for practice, but there just isn't enough time to attempt records on all the tracks in all the wipeouts! Going to have to bring my PS to work...

Asayyeah
4th May 2007, 04:31 PM
Going to have to bring my PS to work...
hope our boss ( Dag & I) won't read that, we did a sweet adhoc Wipeout Pure tournaments, at the office where we are working :) but shhh ;)

Back on topic we need some luck to get 3 turbos on TR and when that divine surprise is happening we need to avoid those slow chicanes , the AI ships are :mad:

username
8th May 2007, 08:36 AM
Have you tried the ground hugging technique? it sounds weird because you dont want to hit the bottom of the track, but it usually works for me;

As you approach into the bump, puww the nose of the ship up, just before you get to the top, push the nose down, and just before you enter the bottom, pull the nose up again.

worth a try!

element42
8th May 2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks - I've tried, and ground-hugging does work on the first lap, ie when I'm not up to full speed, but I still bump when I'm going faster. Maybe if I try some new lines and ground-hug...

lunar
8th May 2007, 10:48 AM
I might play with the original for a bit,

please do it! ;) We have some real competition now, with a new pilot appearing on the PAL tables.

About your bottoming problem, in places on original Wipeout I found that getting a new line is often the way to stop bottoming out, and that pitch control only makes it worse or does nothing useful, particularly in a fat bottomed Auricom or Qirex.

username
10th May 2007, 06:00 PM
ah yes, however wipeout one has different antigravity stabilisers - in wipeout one the force pushing you up is constant, until you get to a certian height, then it stabilises, where as in wipeout 2097 it has more of a repelling magnet feel - the closer you are to the ground the stronger the uplift force is. (at least this is what it feels like to me) so the skills of pitch control need to be different.

and to element42 i would also reccomend that you let go of the thrust as you come off to the start of the bump - in wipeout 2097 the thrust will slowly die down (not too quick to lose all of your speed) and then start up thrust again when you reach the top. a slight speed reduction without the use of the brakes is a saint when pitch control is critical because i find that touching the brakes when pitch is important makes the back of my ship slam into the floor!

Lance
10th May 2007, 07:18 PM
To me, it's 2097/XL/WO2 that feels like it has constant repulsion force; it is WO3 that feels like repulsion increases as the ship approaches the surface [inversely proportional to distance], giving a more cushiony effect. Downward forces due to momentum just seem like they can slam you down to the surface very easily on WO2. I've always had trouble with the bottoming on TR after that hill following the big right after the start. Usually I can limit it to one bump unless I do it really badly, but it's always a speed reduction from contact on anything above Vector class, it seems like.

username
10th May 2007, 07:29 PM
i would say that you are correct about wo3 having this feel to it, but i believe that between wipeout 1, and 2097 2097 has the most bouncy feel to it. but wo3 has alot more strong bouncy feeling to it! :P lol.

hhm element42, have you tried saving a turbo, and then launching it from the top, although you gain speed when you wouldnt expect to want to, if you pull the nose of the craft up at the same time, you can soften your landing very well! However you loose out on the effect of the turbo on the straight :S

element42
13th May 2007, 01:46 PM
... i would also reccomend that you let go of the thrust as you come off to the start of the bump - in wipeout 2097 the thrust will slowly die down (not too quick to lose all of your speed) and then start up thrust again when you reach the top. a slight speed reduction without the use of the brakes is a saint when pitch control is critical because i find that touching the brakes when pitch is important makes the back of my ship slam into the floor!
Let go of the thrust? Blasphemy! I suppose it might be worth trying if I lose less speed that way than bumping. As to your turbo suggestion, I have given that a couple of goes but I find it just causes more problems later on in the lap.
You're definitely right about bottoming out using the brakes though, although I notice it much more with Piranha.

Lance - at least in 2097 we only have to worry about bottoming out; I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble 'topping-out' in 3SE :bat

Lance
13th May 2007, 04:50 PM
Let off the thrust?! Never!

I've all too often topped out in XL, especially on Odessa Keys. [A wonderfully evil track]

username
14th May 2007, 10:24 AM
wip3out is the worst by far for topping out,
but odessa keys in is the only track i have ever actually topped out from 2097 - and only a few times at that!

element, perhaps combine my turbo idea with my ground hugging idea somehow.
use the ground hugging techniuqe as before, and use the turbo just before the start of the bump?