PDA

View Full Version : Ugly menus... =)

miufs
19th April 2007, 06:15 PM
I have W30 for a long long time and i surely love this game but i always thought the menus were very ugly, grey and unnatractive! lol

It just ocurred to me now as i was playing W3O. :)

Cheers!;)

Silverstream
20th April 2007, 12:22 PM
I totally agree. They're horrible to look at, the font is hard to read and they don't function well. :turd

The menu designs of 2097 and 64 are much better.

Flying_Finn
20th April 2007, 12:30 PM
I agree, the menus are horrible, that's why i spend as little time as possible in the menus.:g

Medusa
20th April 2007, 02:45 PM
I agree about the grey colour being ugly BUT THAT'S ALL!

I loved the entire menu setup and that font is what really made the game pull people into the future. Could you really imagine it with a blase 20th century font that got used on every other video game out there???

The menu should tie in with the entire game, and I think out of the playstation releases, WO3 is the only one that had a totally unified design scheme. XL had the great sound effects in the menu but it was still far too 20th century with the font.

(Time to go have my coffee. And stop ranting about a text style.:D )

Lance
20th April 2007, 03:41 PM
I loved the minimalism, but the font should have been bigger so it's more readable on the decidedly non HD televisions the game was made for. [OT-I love the game, and it felt futuristic despite the 20th century concept of a suburban-office-park-of-the-future.]

andy
20th April 2007, 05:08 PM
I like the font but I don't see why they decided on a mix of brown and grey for the menus. It would've easily worked with brighter colours.

Sausehuhn
20th April 2007, 05:21 PM
because it represents the style of the game?
Industrial? Dirty?
I think it fits pretty well :)

Lance
20th April 2007, 05:34 PM
WO3 seems very clean to me, except Stanza Inter is a bit grey grime. But I liked the neutrals of the menu.

miufs
21st April 2007, 09:53 PM
I loved the minimalism, but the font should have been bigger so it's more readable on the decidedly non HD televisions the game was made for. [OT-I love the game, and it felt futuristic despite the 20th century concept of a suburban-office-park-of-the-future.]

The game was made for HD TVs Lance?
I didnt even knew that PS1 could output in HD...
Guess i´ll try this game on my HD tv that will arrive next week then. :)

Lance
21st April 2007, 11:38 PM
''the ... non HD televisions the game was made for.''

Nope, no HDTV for the original PS.

miufs
22nd April 2007, 12:51 PM
Ups, my bad!
Sorry Lance! :)

exarkann
24th April 2007, 10:12 AM
let me tell you though, on an hd screen with component outputs and texture smoothing turned on(using the ps2), the game looks great for it's age.

i love the minimal design.

mdhay
3rd May 2007, 03:18 PM
i think the menu scheme matches the track colours in the intro sequence.Y'know? when the '45 starts tilting? The track strips are black and grey,after all?

PIRANHA MASTER
4th May 2007, 01:49 PM
I agree with mdhay.And I like the menu.

ixnine
13th August 2007, 11:29 PM
I LOVE the menu and colors, or lack there of, they used. Something about it just screams cool I even modeled my myspace layout after it. Click me to see. (http://www.myspace.com/ixnine)

Dr. Angryman
14th August 2007, 01:27 AM
Nice! ;) I really like the Angryman, from which my name was inspired!

KevInCal
2nd October 2007, 03:46 PM
If only the font was a tad bit bigger...

Infected
2nd October 2007, 09:15 PM
For me the best menus was on Wipeout 2097 but after that is Wip3out i really like this minimalistic design its simple and user friendly:)

Rapier Racer
3rd October 2007, 02:53 PM
Menus? As long as the game itself is good... I'm sure you would all love Fusion if it had had the prettiest menus in the world right?

Asayyeah
3rd October 2007, 03:42 PM
prettiest no but sexiest ...yeahhhh :p

Chill
4th October 2007, 01:07 AM
Hey, were Wipeout crazy fans, and so are you, Mr. Rapier man... ;) The menu is as important as every other element in the game...

Rapier Racer
4th October 2007, 01:05 PM
I disagree, a pretty menu is nice but not necessary. To say the menu design is as important as the way the ships handle for example is ludicrous. Pures menus are a bit on the bleak side, would you describe the game itself in the same way? No of course not.

Chill
5th October 2007, 01:07 AM
No, but it's still better having a nice menu than a crappy one, thus giving this thread it's purpose.