PDA

View Full Version : Klies Bridge help?

permesse
17th April 2007, 01:43 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie WO64 player from a different community who wants to try and TAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool-assisted_speedrun) Wipeout64 on Challenge mode. I've read the tips and everything, but it seems I'm not doing it right. The youtube video that's in the sticky was helpful, but since I wasn't using the pirana, I can't pull off those tricks as easily or go as far.

My best lap time on Challenge 1 (Klies bridge with the feisar) so far has been 30.7, with decent optimisations in the route. I also managed to get 2 turbos in the first lap, 1 in the second, and none in the third. However, I see people getting around 20 seconds for their best lap time, and finishing a good 30 seconds faster than me. I was wondering perhaps if they used any other tricks or different routes in order to get such a faster time.

I can upload my video to Youtube if anyone wants to see what I'm doing wrong, so any help/advice/links would be greatly appreciated! :)

P.S I don't really want to come off as "Rargh I'm new but I still demand help!" kind of attitude, so if I do come off like that, I sincerely apologise. I'm just trying to ask for help politely. =)

Edit: Here are my actual lap times on an emulator:

Lap 1: 30.7
Lap 2: 31.7
Lap 3: 34.6

Mark Of Insanity
17th April 2007, 11:47 AM
If you're not on Phantom, this would definitely be a problem. Either way, make sure to take as many speed pads as possible, and avoid even one clip against the wall, because it can cost you a second or more.

I use an emulator too and comfortably get 20 seconds so I know it shouldn't be the fault of the emulator.

permesse
18th April 2007, 02:37 AM
Phantom? How does that affect it? I remember seeing something about Venom/Feisar for Challenge mode... but no Phantom. oO

Regardless, I've optimised my run so I don't hit any bumps or slow down at all for any part of the run, although I slow down maybe two bars or so for a few turns, so I don't think my speed is the fault of why I'm lacking almost 10 seconds. I do scratch my wingtips on the curves/edges a bit, but not too much and my speed doesn't seem to slow down. Is there some secret trick I don't know, or perhaps I am turbo-ing at the wrong spots? I use my turbo near the tunnel so I can clear about a quarter of the snow tunnel, or at the final turn before the finish line. (The latter one managed to net me the 30.7, I've never gotten lower)

Oh, I'm not sure if I made my TASing goal clear (not to sound snobbish or anything), but what I'm doing is trying to achieve the fastest time possible by someone who is using savestates and slowdown (I'm not going to pull a "lo0olo0lz im so leet chek it outz man", but rather I want to see how fast/insane a challenge mode completion run can be).

Anyhow, if someone could maybe type up a rough how-to or upload a YouTube video that would be really great ^^ I'll try and get my video up in the next few hours once I get the emulator to record it properly..

I will edit this in a few hours once YouTube decides to upload my video ><

Thanks for the advice though Mark ^^;

Mark Of Insanity
18th April 2007, 03:25 PM
Phantom affects it because the speed is set faster. So in ten seconds, you can cover more ground than in Venom or Rapier (or Vector). Venom is much slower than Phantom. At Phantom speed, you can go much faster, resulting in a shorter time.

Because you're on challenge mode, the speed (if I remember correctly) is already set to Venom. The reason people get 20 seconds or so is because they are at Phantom speed, I assume. (Again, if I remember correctly), the speed levels get faster the further through the challenges you go. So Challenge 5 is faster tham Challenge 1. I'm pretty sure it changes in intervals of 1 speed up every two challenges. A Challenge mode run won't be fast/insane unless it is Challenge 5 and 6 (I think those are the last ones), as long as I'm thinking of the right Wipeout. :P

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3695

For the Wipeout 64 Fastest Lap the general choice was Klies Bridge (though personally, I would have chosen Velocitar or Qoron IV for the fastest lap (probably just feels fast)).

With every track at Phantom Speed (minus WipEout, the original, because there are only classes Venom and Rapier in WipEout), it not hard to see how people could get 20 second on Klies Bridge, it being the fastest track in the WipEout Series (to my knowledge). B

Because Challenge one is at Venom (I think), it can not reach the high speeds of the Phantom one. I know, I'm just repeating the same points over an over in slightly different ways. Someone stop me. Thankyou! :O :P :D

permesse
19th April 2007, 04:45 AM
Ahhh! I see now. ^^;; I'm getting 20 seconds easy.

So which are the faster ones? The short blue arrow ones, or the multi-coloured strips? Also, where would the best place to use a turbo? I tend to use them before the snow tunnel to blow past a bit of the map, but other people in the thread say that they use it right before the finish lane...

In any case, I was wondering what a "regular" player's time for Challenge mode would be? I'd like to compare my TAS to their time to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything. =]

Thanks for the help/advice. ^^

rdmx
19th April 2007, 07:43 AM
Multi coloured strips give you weapons and items.
blue chevrons (or arrows) speed you up.