PDA

View Full Version : But let's speculate

Riccardo Raccis
6th April 2007, 08:12 PM
About this new Mirage ship, for example. I know nothing about it, but considering the name and the color I guess it's a Middle-Eastern team. Mirage makes me think of deserts, and green is sacred to Islam, so... there's my money. Middle Eastern team.

My second speculation concerns the fifth screenshot ( reference: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74612 ). The canyon looks strange, the track looks particularly sci-fi-esque and the sky has an unusual tint. I really hope this is terraformed Mars.

Yeah I'm pretty psyched about this Pulse :hyper

Dogg Thang
6th April 2007, 09:05 PM
If I remember correctly, the Firestar track in WO1 was on Mars so it wouldn't be a first for WO. Personally, I loved the vivid red of that track.

However, going by the screenshot, I'd say it looks like Earth to me. The canyons and the vegetation look like they could be somewhere like Arizona (maybe) and the sky looks like an evening sky.

I guess anything is possible but I do remember a little comment thrown in about a night time photoshop job I did of Pure's Sol 2 and one of the team (could have been Colin Berry himself) remarked that it looked too sci-fi. That's not to say they won't go that way in Pulse but I got the impression they were looking closer to home.

It's all speculation I guess!

That screenshot you point out is interesting in that it seems very open and removed from the urban feel we've had recently. Of course, Blue Ridge had plenty of nature but the rest of the Pure tracks (and all of WO3) were quite urbanised.

There's a tricky balance there but WO1 established open spaces with very little urbanisation and that's the game that made WO a hit to begin with. WO2097 had Valparaiso (spelling?) which is still one of my favourite tracks design-wise. So there is a history of open natural tracks in the classics. It would be interesting to see how that might work now. I'd say that screenshot might give us a glimpse of what Arridos might look like if WO1 had been made now.

Riccardo Raccis
6th April 2007, 09:13 PM
I love the open space tracks too. That's a Wipeout classic, sci fi races... in open nature. Well I don't mind if the tracks is on Earth, love the looks of it anyways.

Another thing that struck me right now (not really a speculation though): we'r egetting vertical free falls and all tracks can be reversed. That must mean vertical ascensions. For some reason that sounds incredibly cool to me :banzai

Hacker X
12th April 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah I'm really digging the outdoor track look as well. Takes us right back to Wipeout 1. :-) I also like the transparent look of some of the tracks. Looks really cool.

Medusa
14th April 2007, 03:42 PM
Takes us right back to Wipeout 1. :- )
What, is that a thumbs-down I see!?! (I hope someone hit the wrong smilie...)

Yes the screenshots look great. (And I will join you all in the 21st century soon, my PAL Pure is on its way...just need to grab a PSP:p )

I personally love the out door tracks. It is far more realistic afterall, to my mind, to have the AG craft with all their exhaust and crazy-dangerous speeds to be out in...Karbonis then say...Mega Mall. Although Mega Mall has partially outdoor sections anyway.

I wonder if the desertlike screenshot is perhaps a polluted Nevada desert? Who knows what the sky will look like after a few decades of pollution.

Sausehuhn
18th April 2007, 08:15 PM
Do you guys think there will be a Katmoda12-like section with Magstrips holding your ship upside down?

http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews2/image/wipeout/wipeout_11.jpg

If so, do you think you could do a barrel roll in the time you're switching the track?
Could be fun :rolleyes:

q_dmc12
18th April 2007, 10:17 PM
hmm, I have often wondered of this myself....if it is as fast as in fusion I'd say not - but the topic does seem plausable

Silverstream
19th April 2007, 12:09 PM
I think an upside-down section would be an excellent addition to the new game. It's a feature I liked in Fusion and I reckon more should be made of it in the future. I have a PS1 game called Killer Loop which is very similar (almost a cheap rip-off) to WipEout. That game made great use of being upside down, and sideways for that matter. It adds an extra depth to the tracks in my book.

Sausehuhn
7th May 2007, 09:59 AM
this (http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/7/4/6/1/2/Screen5.jpg) = this (http://www.gamewallpapers.com/getwallpaper.php?wallpaper=wallpaper_wipeout_pulse _01_1024.jpg&currentwp=%2Fwallpapers%2Fwallpaper_wipeout_pulse_ 01&titel=WipEout+Pulse) = EG.X?

Hellfire_WZ
7th May 2007, 10:07 AM
Yep, that's the EG-X craft. Looks pretty good I think

Sausehuhn
7th May 2007, 10:48 AM
You know that for sure?

Pretty nice successor of my fav team :)

supersocks
7th May 2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/egx.jpg

Always pay attention to those little details.

I wonder what kind of motto they'll come up with that DNA-thing. "We create a new age of civilization so you don't have to." :p

stin
7th May 2007, 01:33 PM
Wow!, you guys have done your homeworks and I was never paying attention!

stevie:o

Sausehuhn
7th May 2007, 03:02 PM
Believe me or not but I saw that later on, too.

I just wasn't 100% sure if its the craft on the screenshot, though it really looks like it is.

Riccardo Raccis
7th May 2007, 04:02 PM
Oh aye, that's EG-X alright (see also speculation at: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3854 ).

*looks at EG-X wallpaper*

B-but it doesn't look like a potato :paperbag

HAH! Just kidding. EG-X looks splendid. And fast :banzai I love the way they put it center stage in the first wallpaper by the way. It's like a big welcome back... make it two welcome back's.

supersocks
7th May 2007, 07:33 PM
B-but it doesn't look like a potato :paperbag

http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/egx_carrot.jpg

Yummy!

q_dmc12
7th May 2007, 10:21 PM
LOL!!

That is the funniest thing I have ever seen - you get 2 points! (one for brilliance, one for funny):D

Riccardo Raccis
8th May 2007, 01:19 AM

Yummy!

Saved :D

Probably gonna end on my PSP as background...

Lance
8th May 2007, 03:15 PM
Wipeout: The fastest-mutating ships in the history of Anti-Grav.

RJ O'Connell
11th May 2007, 02:30 AM
Mmmm....carrots. XD

Just as an assumption, I would guess the Mirage would perform like the F7200-era Assegai - turns on a dime, body made of tissue paper, average everything else.

I could be wrong when I actually pilot the Green Mean Machine this September...

infoxicated
11th May 2007, 08:30 AM
Close, but no cigar! ;)

Dogg Thang
11th May 2007, 04:46 PM
Hmmm...well green is the colour of slow (you know - plants) so I'm guessing it's a lumbering shield-heavy beast. What do I win?

RJ O'Connell
11th May 2007, 09:23 PM
^ Hasn't Triakis filled that role well (at least in theory?)

q_dmc12
11th May 2007, 11:00 PM
Then Triakis should be green with fur cuz its slow at first then quick like a rabbit;)

xdirex
12th May 2007, 12:25 AM
Just as an assumption, I would guess the Mirage would perform like the F7200-era Assegai - turns on a dime, body made of tissue paper, average everything else.

I would love for this to be the case!

swift killer
6th August 2007, 03:47 PM

Yummy!

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
you joker! if EGX looks like a carrot, and Triakis looks like a fork, which team is going to use Triakis to eat EGX?

EGX version of the transformers theme!
-EGX! Carrots in disguise!...... EGX! very good for your eyes!

if i recall correctly xios looked like a beetroot with mustard! yummy! not really, more a case of *BLEAKH!!!*

infoxicated
6th August 2007, 09:05 PM
Nope.

Where would you expect to see a mirage? ;)

Sausehuhn
6th August 2007, 09:45 PM
An African Team maybe?

_______
EDIT:

no, sorry, that was already Assegai... Australian? Gimme some popular places for deserts!

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:00 PM
I think Mirage is in the Mid-East. That's my guess....

infoxicated
6th August 2007, 10:06 PM
You're getting warmer!

// see what I did there? ;)

They're based on the outskirts of Dubai at the Mirage Anti-Gravity Excellence Center and race under the banner of United Arab Emirates. The MAGEC academy plays a big role in the development of the FX350 & FX400 leagues, in that it's where MagLock technology was developed, and pilots from all over the world come to train there to improve their skills.

Jees, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Oh... wait... :paperbag

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:09 PM
.... You're confusing me, Infoxicated, but i'll trust you! ;)

q_dmc12
6th August 2007, 10:15 PM
Mirage - oasis - desert - camels - turbans - Middle East - Iraq - Iran - Saudi Arabia

Need I say more??

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:18 PM
Ah, I understand now. Just that all the "technology" parts got a little confusing. But I get it now.

I hope it has stats similar to Wip3out's Assegai.... That's just what I want....

Riccardo Raccis
6th August 2007, 10:25 PM
How nice that one of the new teams has a story connection to the new feature (i.e. maglock). Makes the whole game feel more solid.

Plus! I knew Mirage was Middle-eastern (go me :rock). Solid green livery. Green is sacred to Islam. And of course palms, desert, Dubai 8)

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 10:37 PM
Green is sacred to Islam.

Why? :?

supersocks
6th August 2007, 10:42 PM
if EGX looks like a carrot, and Triakis looks like a fork, which team is going to use Triakis to eat EGX?

I'm not a team but sometimes... (http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/wipeoutsoup.jpg)

Yes, let's return back to topic. Shall we speculate how you crossbreed a potato and a beet to get a carrot?

Riccardo Raccis
6th August 2007, 10:49 PM
Why? :?

Never knew. I'm not an Islam expert myself. I just know that it's sacred to Islam. Like light blue, orange and white are sacred to the Catholic Church.

Rapier Racer
6th August 2007, 10:57 PM
Like light blue, orange and white are sacred to the Catholic Church.

LOL!!!

Riccardo Raccis
6th August 2007, 11:19 PM
I actually think that's true. That's why they use those colors so often.

Now try and think of a Vatican-sponsored Wipeout team.

Dr. Angryman
6th August 2007, 11:31 PM
Uh.... A ship that call's everyone else's ship evil, but is too lazy to do anything about it?

Riccardo Raccis
6th August 2007, 11:34 PM
I was thinking about a white, orange, pale blue ship ;)

Lance
7th August 2007, 12:15 AM

I thought those were sacred to the national ice skating team of the Nederlands.

swift killer
7th August 2007, 08:14 AM
I'm not a team but sometimes... (http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/wipeoutsoup.jpg)

Yes, let's return back to topic. Shall we speculate how you crossbreed a potato and a beet to get a carrot?

LOL!!!!!!!!!! that is classic! this sort of stuff should be a seperate thread
http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/wipeoutsoup.jpg
did you do this one aswell??? lol

swift killer
7th August 2007, 08:33 AM
I was thinking about a white, orange, pale blue ship ;)

do you mean Harimau by any chance??? its supposed to be south asian apparently :?

what i would love to see is an all-indian team without the stereotypes, either orange and dark blue, as orange is sacred to hinduism, sikhism and buddhism which all originate from india or in the 'sahara' colours of the indian cricket team :rock

:) Bharat Mata Ki Jai! :)

Rapier Racer
7th August 2007, 08:59 AM

Wait wait you are taking the piss with that right? How come the orange walks here are a protestant thing then? Also, unfortunately we have two football clubs here in Scotland who have big time religious pasts Celtic (catholic) and Rangers (protestant), the latter uses blue an white and variations of red as their team colors while the other team with the catholic roots uses green and white, I'd like to mention here that I no longer have the time of day for football and also couldn't give a rats ass about religion.

Anther example when I was wearing my Tiesto top which is white with orange, blue and red on it, the first thing I got asked was why was I wearing a proddy Rangers top :rolleyes:

swift killer
7th August 2007, 09:17 AM
you'd have to be very blind to mistake that tiesto top for a rangers proddy, you must have been creasing when that happened, i dont really like this idea of xios combining with eg.r, in fusion one was alien the other was female, their might be some tentacle hentai thing goin on there.......just kidding, but i would prefer for them to be individual teams

Riccardo Raccis
7th August 2007, 01:09 PM
Uh... No I wasn't taking the piss with sacred colors and stuff. Tried not to get anyone offended, those can be sensitive subjects ;)

But again, the color spectrum in itself is in the end limited so with all the religions, churches and football clubs around there's bound to be some overlapping.

Are Orange Walks actually orange in color?

Rapier Racer
7th August 2007, 01:23 PM
They wear orange sashes(sp?) and carry big orange rectangle flag thingies

I think we should stop now this is getting off topic, me thinks Lance will be along shortly :p

swift killer
7th August 2007, 03:21 PM
orange is the colour of the political party which is protestant.

orange is the holy colour of Hinduism, Sikhism and Buddhism, or to be presise, saffron,
-Sikhism uses orange and blue
-Hinduism and Buddism uses orange, red and yellow, and yes, i am a Hindu :)

i think we should get back on topic before someones closes this

Lance
7th August 2007, 04:07 PM
swift killer, I see that you have ignored the guidelines concerning multiple posting yet again, and ignored my multiple requests to follow those guidelines. I'm giving you a couple of days of vacation time from the forum.

phantom
9th August 2007, 09:40 AM
Heres a thought, where can i find a picture of the Qirex in pulse? I saw a quick flash of it in a video on youtube of someone playing pulse (presumably a chinese version, it said 'Guangzhou' at the beginning) and it looks very similiar to the Qirex craft in 2097, except it now looks lighter, and well, better lol. Ill try to get a screenshot, but does anyone know where i could find a proper image of one?

rdmx
9th August 2007, 10:00 AM
Will this do?
In attachment.

Mark Of Insanity
9th August 2007, 03:32 PM
Loving the new Qirex! Sleek, the best looking Qirex in years (whrr.... all years) imho.

Asayyeah
9th August 2007, 09:11 PM
Now try and think of a Vatican-sponsored Wipeout team.
the Faithful team with their famous banner : ' save your soul, do not drink Red Bull '

RJ O'Connell
9th August 2007, 09:14 PM
Qirex is returning to XL-type aesthetics. Sweetness from the moment the first clear screens of it were revealed.. ^^

Dr. Angryman
9th August 2007, 11:13 PM
Qirex is more edgy than in Pure, and I like that. I'm just wondering if it'll have a weird center of gravity like Pure's Van-Uber. :?

Riccardo Raccis
10th August 2007, 01:34 AM
the Faithful team with their famous banner : ' save your soul, do not drink Red Bull '

Come to think of it, a Red Bull team would be SO appropriate. I'm one of those few who love the product placement in Wipeout. It' so Blade Runnerish.

Also, I love Red Bull :hyper

zargz
10th August 2007, 10:35 AM
I like the puma signs on some of the DL tracks though I just seen them, haven raced them.
the logo is nice and clean -> simple! :+
and not to mention I've got three jeans with some cool metal parts where it says PUMA :D
I actually added them my self (i payed a tailor to do it 8)) before i ever saw these tracks
when I was in thailand (youTube is banned there btw), coz I thought they (puma things) looked so cool! :g
so .. does that mean I've got some wipEout wear now??! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

Sausehuhn
10th August 2007, 11:36 AM
I've nothing against discreet adverts here and there, so when you catch them you say "woha! Look there was a Puma add!".
But that over-done marketing campain they started on the Delta-tracks was simply too much.

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 03:19 PM
No matter where Mirage is from, they'll be the first "Green Team" in anti-gravity racing ever. They'll be the first green ship since Kel Solaar's Qirex!

Where's the love for green? O_o We've had Red, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Khaki, Light Blue, Teal, Purple, Pink, Black, White, Grey, Maroon, but never Green! O_O

Mark Of Insanity
12th August 2007, 04:04 PM
I've noticed that. We had the AG Systems with some bright green and Kel Solaar, but since then it has been strangely lacking. Conspiracy? :O

Dr. Angryman
12th August 2007, 04:54 PM
Doesn't Triakis in Pulse count as green....ish? If it doesn't, w00t! Go green! :g

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 06:44 PM
Triakis is always the Grey team. It can be greenish-grey, reddish-grey, gunmetal grey - it's still not nearly as green as Mirage.

No, I don't think there's a conspiracy behind that, I was just discussing this with Bigfoot and the second gunman on the grassy knoll before our trip to Area 51, site of the "moon landing". ;)

Dr. Angryman
12th August 2007, 09:07 PM
XD! Anywho, Mirage is SUPER-GREEN. I wonder how it'll handle in Pulse!

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 09:12 PM
I always assume it would be a Wipeout 3 Assegai clone - it would have decent speed, really awesome handling and terribly weak shields to make up for it. Considering the design of the ship I can't imagine any other style...

Dr. Angryman
12th August 2007, 09:21 PM
.... You read my mind, bro. O_o

But if it isn't the Wip3out Assegai, it would probably be either the fastest ship or the strongest ship. That's what I think, anyway....

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2007, 09:31 PM
"Strong" wouldn't really be suitable since it just...well, it LOOKS brittle based just on those six early screenshots (which is the last we have seen of Mirage as of late.) I can understand it being a perfect 10 in speed though, since it at least looks like it could outstrip a Piranha or Icaras, rather than trying to outmuscle a heavyweight like Triakis or Auricom, if it isn't the turn-on-a-dime ship that the WO3 Assegai was.

swift killer
13th August 2007, 02:38 PM
i liked Pulse's Piranha ship, im one of those who like understeer, helps position yourself precisely in turns