PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pure and fantastic firmware 3.11

Rapier Racer
28th March 2007, 09:03 PM
Right before anyone else updates their PSP with the latest PILE OF CRAP firmware from Sony (3.11) you should be aware that it has somewhat crippled the ability to play the extra downloaded packs on multi player Gamma and Delta. Gamma freezes during loading of the first track and Delta seems to crash after 1 or 2 races unfortunately Omega and Classic 2 seem to be OK, now those 2 packs worked just fine all weekend and all the times before that on Kai then I update PSP when I get home and now they do not work? Tom also has this problem therefore it has to be the firmware, I thought these new firmwares were supposed to enhance my PSP not take away half of my favorite game :mad:

Not happy at all Sony get it bloody well sorted.

Tomahawk
28th March 2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, I've seen alterego having this problem at our convention, too. I've updated my firmware to official sony 3.11 just yesterday and now I've got the same problems as RR and alterego! :brickwall We've tried nearly all the single races of gamma and delta league tonight on kai and it seems that Exostra Run and Koltiwa can't be played in multiplayer anymore... :( I must say I'm really pissed off by that kind of sh**! Get out another firmware pretty soon, sony, or release an update for the delta and gamma pack which makes them work properly again! *swears loudly*

alterego
28th March 2007, 09:37 PM
Hi All.

Olè! the Wipeout Gamma killer was the firmware 3.11!!!

ok! calm down it's now published 3.30 firmware, but i thrill about the consequence of the new upgrade.....brrr..... ;)

Read you Soon
CdRom

lunar
28th March 2007, 09:38 PM
Firmware 3.30 is out soon, according to Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74677)

fingers crossed this will fix it.

Rapier Racer
28th March 2007, 10:02 PM
Well I downloaded 3.30 via PSP and the same problems occur. Well done Sony this has just encouraged me to drop your official firmware and get cracked stuff.

Tomahawk
28th March 2007, 10:03 PM
Well, I've just installed firmware 3.30 five minutes ago and Rapier Racer and I tried on kai and.... NOT WORKING! Exostra Run crashes the psp, so does Koltiwa and Sebenco Peak shows up with huge graphic bugs (pink boost pads and purple wepon pads) and looks like an omega track if it shows up at all...

Damn you Sony! You better get this fixed soon!

Mad-Ice
29th March 2007, 06:52 AM
Ohh man this really sucks!!!

I hope these problems will get fixed just about now. Good luck guys. I have my fingers crossed.

alterego
29th March 2007, 08:24 AM
Hi All.
i've send a mail to sony helpdesk about this big bug :)

i' think that is the best thing to do.....every wiper must send an email at the sony helpdesk about this bug for the request of the fixes.

Read you Soon
CdRom

infoxicated
29th March 2007, 08:30 AM
I've told the technical director of Wipeout - he's going to look into it.

Tomahawk
29th March 2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks Rob, I hope that this issue can be sorted out soon. If you need any more help/info/screenshots from the bugs from me, just let me know.

i've send a mail to sony helpdesk about this big bug :)

i' think that is the best thing to do.....every wiper must send an email at the sony helpdesk about this bug for the request of the fixes.

That's a good idea Rom. I'll write an email to them tonight.

alterego
29th March 2007, 10:14 AM
Hi All.

if I rethink to all the time lost in the attempt to copy the gammapak just on mine memory stick during convention........and I had already installed firmware 3.11.........grrrr I get angry a lot! grrrr!!!

read You soon
CdRom

rdmx
29th March 2007, 12:04 PM
Goddamnit, i just upgraded to 3.11 to play kz:liberation and moh demoes!

Noooooo, and school holidays coming up too which is when id be able to try kai again.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
(Luke Skywalker style)

stin
29th March 2007, 12:13 PM
AAaah...is that what is the main problem! luckily I did not upgrade mine yet.

stevie

Rapier Racer
29th March 2007, 06:32 PM
Excellent Rob although I suspect anyone at Wipeout HQ will be a little tied up with Pulse but I hope hope they can find the time!

In the mean time whats the email address for this help desk?

Zerow
29th March 2007, 07:19 PM
Ouch! That's one hell of a bug. :o

Fortunately I'm still on 1.50, so no worries here for now.

alterego
30th March 2007, 08:12 AM
Hi All.

This is the URL of the helpdesk of Sony/Scee.....if you want to email something, like me, about the big Bug...

http://it.scee.com/contact/customerContacts.jhtml

Read You Soon
CdRom

Tomahawk
31st March 2007, 10:41 AM
I deleted all extra packs from my memstick last night and downloaded and installed them again from the official site directly onto my psp in the correct order (oldest one first, latest one last). I figured that this might help fixing the bugs - don't ask me why I thought so... Here's the order I've installed them: Delta - Gamma - Classic2 - Omega.
After that I tried playing multiplayer on kai and non-kai multiplayer with dan at my house. Classic2 works fine, so does Omega. But Delta and Gamma each have 2 races which I definately cannot play on multiplayer anymore.
On Delta league it's Koltiwa and Khara Descent which always crash my psp. If I'm playing a Delta tournament I get as far as the third track (Koltiwa) and crash there. Iridia and Anulpha Pass are working fine.
On Gamma league it's Exostra Run and Sebenco Peak which make my psp crash all the time. Gamma tournaments will not work at all (obvious, since Exostra Run is the first track of a Gamma tour). Descension tournaments always crash after Sol2 the first race (Sebenco Peak would be second race). Multiplayer single races on Staten Park and Ubermall work without bugs or crashes.
Last but not least I raced all tracks of the Delta and Gamma in single player mode last night. No crashes, no bugs, all fine. This shows that the new firmware seems to have crippled only multiplayer mode for the four tracks I've mentioned above. :bomb

I can only advise you all: KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF ANY OFFICIAL SONY FIRMWARE WHICH IS NEWER THAN 3.10 IF YOU WANT TO PLAY PURE MULTIPLAYER!

Please Sony, fix this horrible bug soon! Gamma and Delta have become my favourite Packs, so for me Pure is no full game anymore if I cannot play these properly. :(:(:(

Rapier Racer
31st March 2007, 07:42 PM
I deleted, downloaded and installed Gamma then Delta packs, I managed to successfully host and complete a Delta tour however the firmware has messed up the track environmental sounds on Delta, horrible screeching sounds geeeh

Gamma? my favorite pack still corrupted as hell Exostra actually loaded this time however huge graphical defects track and sky were green weapons pads were square purple blocks, picture here

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Assegai/Image033.jpg

Zerow
31st March 2007, 08:52 PM
Neo-tronic recreation of the classic 2197 Exostra Run circuit. ;)

Again, hopefully these bugs are sorted out soon.

andy
31st March 2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the warning you guys, I was thinking about upgrading the other day - that aint gonna happen. I really hope sony fix this as soon as possible.

Asayyeah
1st April 2007, 08:51 PM
Sad news guys, that explains the graphics i saw on Rom's psp at convention and all the shitty disconnections we had especially on gamma pack :(
I hope Sony or SL directly may fix this bug quickly , most of the best Kai players suffered from this :mad:

alterego
2nd April 2007, 07:39 AM
Hi All.

I repeat that it is necessary to fill up of mail the mailboxes of the customers service of sony/scee.... :D ...here is the link:

http://www.scee.com/contact/customerContacts.jhtml

Read You Soon
CdRom

Rapier Racer
2nd April 2007, 02:59 PM
What did you say to them? You lot have just gone and messed up my favorite PSP game with your latest firmware, fix it now or I'll come and find you.....

infoxicated
2nd April 2007, 03:22 PM
It is being looked at, I promise you - there's no need to send the customer service mailbox into meltdown! :)

Rapier Racer
2nd April 2007, 05:14 PM
lol! I haven't sent anything yet I wouldn't know how to phrase it without sounding annoyed and rude

Mobius
2nd April 2007, 05:31 PM
Well, bear in mind that SL are currently beavering away at Pulse as we speak so its not goign to be total priority. But if we think that both games run on similar engines, its got to be sorted soon, otherwise the d/l packs for pulse are goign to have problems too.

Dont panic Captain Manwearing. Well save you!

borell
18th April 2007, 09:29 PM
Keep your fingers crossed. It seems like Sony's Firmware v3.40 for the PSP is on its way.

http://www.playstation.co.kr/psp/psp01_05_new_3.40.asp

(Found at psp-hacks.com (http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/04/18/psp-firmware-340-expected/))

borell
19th April 2007, 07:03 AM
According to psp-hacks.com (http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/04/18/psp-firmware-340-expected/), the update to v3.40 is now available via the XMB Network Update. It can also be downloaded from psp-hacks.

Update: Aha, maybe this firmware update is related to there being a new firmware out for the PS3, v1.70. This version allows PSOne downloaded games to be played on the PS3. Furthermore, the saves will be compatible between the PSP and the PS3. (found on playstation universe (http://www.psu.com/node/9874))

Rapier Racer
19th April 2007, 08:52 PM
I downloaded 3.40 with false hope it would fix the problem the result? A never before seen crash during an Alpha tour, it's like they are going to keep at it until they render multi player absolutely useless. I'm starting to think upgradeable firmware is a bad idea is it going to be a case of

"Oh but you bought Motorstorm 14 months ago surely you don't actually expect to be able to play the game for the entire life of you console? You did? Well too bad"

q_dmc12
20th April 2007, 01:12 AM
custom firmwares or devhook might be for you - hope, pray, beg (well maybe not beg) for a 3.4 downgrader:frown:

mdhay
3rd May 2007, 09:40 PM
shouldn't sony help our psp's potential instead of bloody obliterating it? DAMN YOU SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

borell
9th May 2007, 02:11 PM
It seems that there might be a big firmware update on its way -- v.4! I pray for you guys to get rid of your problems.

[Rumor: PSPs with non-downgradable firmware on its way to the stores? (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Rumor-PSPs-with-non-downgradable-firmware-on-its-way-to-the-stores-/pg/49/aid/91853)]

Tomahawk
9th May 2007, 02:57 PM
That's interesting news, but I don't think it'll solve our FW problem with Pure multiplayer. As far as I can see the rumor/article says, that the new thing about this FW 4.xx will be that it's not downgradeable anymore. I highly doubt that Sony has implemented a fix for our problems into it.

I'm waiting for one of the following three things to happen right now:

1) Release of official Sony FW update wich states clearly in it's description that the bugs with Pure are fixed. I'm definately not going to update my PSP's FW any further without knowing for sure that the problems I have are fixed with the update.
2) Official Patch, Add-On, etc. from Studio Liverpool for Pure which will make Pure's multiplayer mode work properly again. I must say, that most of my hopes of getting rid of the problems are based on that choice. I don't think that a huge company like Sony can be bothered with the problems of a small fan community like ours (compared to other game communities). If our cries reach their ears anyway, they'll hand over the problem to SL and tell them to fix the bugs, cause they created the game and therefor know most about it's code and stuff.
3) Downgrader for FW 3.30, so that I can switch to non-official FW which will have my Pure multiplayer running without problems again.

I'll take whatever solution of the problem I happen to stumble upon first.

q_dmc12
9th May 2007, 06:31 PM
My money is on the latter, 3rd choice...

andy
9th May 2007, 07:16 PM
well, new games come with the highest firmware built in don't they? When pulse comes out, we may be forced to use this fw 4.xx

q_dmc12
9th May 2007, 08:03 PM
Lol, your posts are 311

Anyway, no I don't think so - because when they release psp's with new firmware it usually takes a few months before the fw dl is up on the sony site. Even then, it only appears on disks about 2 or 3 months after being up for dl at sony - by the time september rolls around I think pulse will sneak by without requiring any higher than 3.4x.

*Hopes up*

Mad-Ice
10th May 2007, 02:00 PM
I really am worried about new firmware all the time. The problems some of us have got now, got me thinking of staying on the same FW of 3.0something and when Pulse is coming out buying a new PSP just to be on the safe side with Pure. I think this is ridicules to even think about this, but these stupid updates all the time are smashing up our most favourite game.

q_dmc12
10th May 2007, 02:30 PM
I heard custom fw (3.03OE) emulates higher fw's - but I'm sticking with 1.50 at the moment..

stin
10th May 2007, 04:48 PM
Mad-Ice!,

That is exactly what I`m getting another psp for pulse and save my old psp for pure with my FW 3.10 and I`m not getting updated!

stevie:)

Mad-Ice
10th May 2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Stevie!

It might be the best solution so far! But it is crazy! Now I understand more and more why people turn to hackers with programs like devhook and so on. I want to stay true but I am tempted here!!!!!

xdirex
10th May 2007, 05:30 PM
I find it hard to 'stay true' to a company (Sony) that that does so many things to disrespect it's loyal customers.

Plus, there are so many advantages to running a custom firmware on your PSP. You havnen't lived until you've played Wipeout Pure in 333Mhz mode, the speed that the PSP was always intended to run at. The difference in framerate is amazing (not that Pure was bad to begin with, but 333 makes it REALLY good).

Also, the ability to jump back and forth between different firmwares is great for getting around the issues that we're talking about here.

Other advantages:
- Run at 4th brightness setting regardless of whether the power is plugged in.
- POPS emulator allows you to play all of the PS1 games that you already own (I beleive in fair use of things you've already paid for).
- Run your games from the memory stick, resulting in much quicker load times and less battery drain.
- Plus many others (high-res movies, recovery mode, customisations, homebrew applications, etc).

I appreciate that some of these features do open the doors for piracy. I would never dream of pirating a Wipeout game, because I love what the developers do with the games, and want them to keep doing it, and get rewarded for their amazing work.

As responsible users, why not enjoy some great extra features that the PSP should have been capable of in the first place? Sony seems to ignore us a lot of the time, so I'm glad that some other programmers have taken it upon themselves to unleash what the system is truly capable of.

Lance
10th May 2007, 05:37 PM
Ditto.

I used to love Sony.

Damn' near everything I bought had ''SONY'' on it.
Not anymore.

Rapier Racer
10th May 2007, 07:24 PM
Well that is interesting, it's like they just keep stacking up the **** :turd they won't officially sort any problems their updates create and seem to want to make sure you can't find an unofficial way to sort them yourself.

I am thinking that when Firmware 4xxx comes around it will be at the stage where is causes Pure to be erased off the UMD

q_dmc12
10th May 2007, 09:26 PM
LOL! fw 4.X is the latest version of the sony virus:blarg

I have have heard so many great things about custom firmware:pc, when worms2 for PSP comes I think I just might upgrade to one of the OE's.

Bad Sony, BAD!:mad: :naughty

G'Kyl
11th May 2007, 04:56 AM
As responsible users, why not enjoy some great extra features that the PSP should have been capable of in the first place? Sony seems to ignore us a lot of the time, so I'm glad that some other programmers have taken it upon themselves to unleash what the system is truly capable of.

You're right, but then I understand Sony has to prevent less responsible users from being... less responsible than others.
Also, they seem to have learned from firmware issues as you can install any OS on a PS3. That's something Microsoft doesn't offer. I like to give it to Sony that they first had to learn about how to deal with the then new option of regular updates for gaming systems.

Ben

Rapier Racer
22nd May 2007, 12:14 PM
I take it theres no news from the Sony camp/studio Liverpool regarding the issues then, just going to have to live with it till Pulse gets here?

q_dmc12
22nd May 2007, 03:27 PM
maybe mid summer will be more prosperous

rageagainstgeorge
23rd May 2007, 09:00 PM
I can certainly recommend updating to homebrew. I run Pure from an ISO (all legal) at 333mz. It runs like a charm.

borell
24th May 2007, 09:20 AM
According to rumours, v3.50 is coming in the end of the month together with v1.80 for the PS3. [pspupdates.qj.net]

infoxicated
24th May 2007, 12:11 PM
It's in the second note at the bottom of the press release about PS3 FW 1.8:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4372&NewsAreaID=2

So it should come in the next week.

Not sure it'll solve any problems with Pure, though.

q_dmc12
24th May 2007, 02:01 PM
isn't 3.5 the unhackable one??:?

infoxicated
24th May 2007, 02:08 PM
AFAIK you cant downgrade the current one anyway.

G'Kyl
24th May 2007, 06:18 PM
Not that I needed custom firmware, but I was wondering what exactely Sony means by unhackable, anyway. Latest firmwares couldn't be hackend, you had to downgrade first (using an exploit, of course) . So, is it that you can't exploit that upcoming "save" FW or what exactely is the difference? On another note: It should be possible to hack ANY OS/FW, no?

Ben

Dav657
24th May 2007, 07:47 PM
What sony means by unhackable is "Stop messing around with our Firmware!" Yea it wont be unhackable sony is just getting tired of updating thier system to prevent custom firmwares and all the other good things the psp can do. if they leave the psp alone it can be the best thing around. It will just take time for the hackers to hack sonys lastest FW anyways. When will sony learn?:naughty :mad: :?

rageagainstgeorge
24th May 2007, 09:01 PM
Never, probably.

Moving to custom firmware was the best thing (PSP-wise) I ever did. I'm currently running Gran Turismo on it. Brilliant!

Mobius
25th May 2007, 10:09 AM
Ive had my psp sitting on 3.01 for a long while now, in all fairness I've not used it in a long, long time. Ive not found any games that have been yelling "buy me!" since lanuch, meaning I only have Pure and Katamari to play. (also is the fact i'd rather not spend £40 on something I can buy cheaper for the ps2) I would use other features, but I lack a large [memory] stick, so once i eventually shell out for one i have vidoe player.

One question... Does 3.40 OE-A play pure without glitches and...does anyone actually know someone with an unpatched GTA game, no-one i know seems to have one, yet they all managed to downgrade. Strange...

phl0w
25th May 2007, 12:17 PM
I'd rather "upgrade" to 3.03OE or 3.10OE (if you want to play pure under 333mhz and want higher psx emulation compatability). There's no (good) current game that needs firmware higher than 3.03 (MGS:PO included), and since you don't even own any you're fine without 3.4 or 3.5.

G'Kyl
25th May 2007, 07:55 PM
But there is. Ratchet & Clank (needs 3.30, if I remember correctly) turned out great! Only thing is: You can't play it with your PSP at 333 MHz. ;)

rageagainstgeorge
25th May 2007, 08:05 PM
3.40 oe plays pure at 333mz with no issues. It also plays it at 222mz if you're that way inclined.....

I have GTA unpatched if anyone wants to borrow it.

stin
25th May 2007, 08:26 PM
But there is. Ratchet & Clank (needs 3.30, if I remember correctly) turned out great! Only thing is: You can't play it with your PSP at 333 MHz. ;)

3.11 min cos I just got that game for my son since tuesday!

G'Kyl
26th May 2007, 07:46 AM
I stand corrected. :) It's above 3.03, though, so you'll need to upgrade for R&C.

mdhay
26th May 2007, 10:35 AM
upgrading for size matters is well worth it.Even if it is lacking in the lifespan department:me and my bro cleared it in 3 days :+

The Uncreated
29th May 2007, 07:00 PM
One question... Does 3.40 OE-A play pure without glitches and...

Completely. Every game I've played so far works perfectly, even at the smoother 333mhz overclock option. The other beatiful thing about 3.40 OE-A is that every single game, regardless of region, works without requiring anything toggled in the PSP. I have two versions of Wipeout Pure on my memory card; North American and European. Omega Pack goodness, baby!

Uncreated

q_dmc12
29th May 2007, 07:27 PM
And adhoc mutli?

The Uncreated
29th May 2007, 07:44 PM
I suppose so, but I haven't gotten around to using that as yet (problems with Xlink Kai and my network card).

Uncreated

G'Kyl
30th May 2007, 05:07 AM
The other beatiful thing about 3.40 OE-A is that every single game, regardless of region, works without requiring anything toggled in the PSP.

Did you ever have to toggle anything in order to play games from different regions? I figured PSP games were code free anyway...

Ben

The Uncreated
30th May 2007, 05:26 PM
Well, it certainly seems I have to, considering you can switch regions in the console's recovery menu. Placebo effect I guess, considering the PSP is region free. Dunno.

- U

q_dmc12
30th May 2007, 10:06 PM
I think thats for movies only - possible time zone(s) as well...

kekken3
7th June 2007, 11:35 PM
Just installed 3.40 OE and I can confirm as well that Pure's working normally. Assuming 3.40 EO is basicly 3.40 + the hacked part, it would probably mean that whoever is aflicted by problems with 3.10 -> 3.30 non-custom firmware may solve them by going to 3.40.:+

Relequestual
19th June 2007, 08:01 PM
I was just greeted by the same bug as talked about at the start of this thread! Im not up for all the unofficial firmwares and stuff. I dnt want to get bricked! *gasp*
can i upload my profile and ask someone to just do the gamma flash tournament for me please?
If anyone will, just reply to this thread and then ill post the passworded zip of my profile (and PM the password to you)

anyone fancy a bit of flash again?

p.s
im only on flash as my previous save became "corrupt"

Sausehuhn
19th June 2007, 08:06 PM
Does DevHook work with an OE-firmware? Cause that may solve the problem at least for the OE-users, cause Gamma definitely won't work with 3.40 (OE-A).

q_dmc12
21st June 2007, 02:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it does - don't quote me but I believe it is built into the OEs.

kekken3
21st June 2007, 11:34 AM
Does DevHook work with an OE-firmware? Cause that may solve the problem at least for the OE-users, cause Gamma definitely won't work with 3.40 (OE-A).
Sorry to hear that, cause Gamma works like a charm for me on 3.40 OE-A (as well as everything else). That's also why I've written my previous post in the first place. So it might be PSP-specific.

I've tested in 333 MHz and with a rip on the memory stick. I'll try on default speed with an UMD disc to see if anything changes.

il_NIK
21st June 2007, 01:10 PM
Here me too...

I've my psp again in my hands, and I remember my problems at Amsterdam Conv. :turd

Both my psp with 3.11, but not the same problems of Alterego (or just one time), but I had great problems of lags everytime I played even if with few people. :cold

I hope is all ok now...isnt it?

lunar
23rd June 2007, 08:21 AM
Anyone tested fw 3.50 with Pure? If so do you know if the problems discussed in this thread are fixed? I would upgrade my PSP so see if the rumoured cpu speed upgrade (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3941) works retrospectively with Pure. The 266 upgrade on 3.0+ did, so maybe this will, but this is stuff beyond my understanding and there is no official word. After the things posted in this thread I`m worried that 3.5 could break my Pure though......

Relequestual
23rd June 2007, 11:55 AM
i 4got 2say, i am running fw 3.5. still the bug has not gone away! damm!
i encountered it when i upgraded from 3.1 or sommin to 3.5. peeeeed offffff

can we crate a forum where users can upload their profiles and the advanced users can take out a few mins to complete them for us? seenin as i dnt wanna mess with on official firmwares n stuff. dnt want 2 b bricked!

Asayyeah
23rd June 2007, 02:00 PM
I think you can put your profile and upload it into your WZ files ( from 'my wipeoutzone' ---> 'my files' )
I am quite busy those days , i can't do that for you but i am sure a fellow pro from here will

Frances_Penfold
23rd June 2007, 02:56 PM
Just read through the entire thread to make sure I understand the issues-- so the effects of the newer firmwares are ONLY with respect to multiplayer? Single player (time trials, etc.) works fine?

I'm disappointed that 3.5 doesn't resolve the problems but then again, I'm not surprised. It'll be a tough choice what to do when Pulse comes out since (as others have pointed out) the game will almost for sure require a firmware upgrade.

If single player Pure isn't affected, I'll be inclined to do the upgrade for sure. If it is... maybe a second PSP? Hmmm.

infoxicated
23rd June 2007, 05:19 PM
Somebody said it caused graphical issues in one of the download tracks, too. We're aware of them, but have no idea what has changed in the firmware to cause them. Trouble is, the development team are so busy with Pulse right now that a fix is not the priority.

q_dmc12
23rd June 2007, 10:18 PM
and until it is, people will continue to use devhook and custom firmwares.:brickwall

Relequestual
24th June 2007, 10:12 AM
Just read through the entire thread to make sure I understand the issues-- so the effects of the newer firmwares are ONLY with respect to multiplayer? Single player (time trials, etc.) works fine?

I'm disappointed that 3.5 doesn't resolve the problems but then again, I'm not surprised. It'll be a tough choice what to do when Pulse comes out since (as others have pointed out) the game will almost for sure require a firmware upgrade.

If single player Pure isn't affected, I'll be inclined to do the upgrade for sure. If it is... maybe a second PSP? Hmmm.

ive never known anyone who has the game who is at my level, and so neva used multi player. 3.5 DOSE NOT resolve the issue for single player. :(

im concerned bout using a hack firmware with the whole could get bricked issue! :(

rageagainstgeorge
24th June 2007, 11:02 AM
I have to say, I was as worried as you sound about "bricking" my PSP. I read through all of the material provided with the firmware and there really isn't a whole lot to worry about. You absolutely must follow the instructions to the letter though.

Relequestual
24th June 2007, 12:07 PM
thing is, i have fw 3.5 :( no downgrader available i believe. im screwed!

The Uncreated
24th June 2007, 02:14 PM
As of yesterday, EVERYONE can downgrade:

"Devastation strikes! The “N00bz!” have yet again left the entire PSP community in a state of awe. Without a doubt, in the coming days, everyone will have the opportunity to downgrade, enjoy glorious custom firmwares, homebrew, and much more… This newly discovered exploit works in a similar fashion to the GTA save game hole; however, this time ’round you’ll require a legal UMD copy of Lumines."

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2007/06/23/new-exploit-found-illuminati-all-firmwares-affected/#comments

Uncreated

Relequestual
24th June 2007, 08:27 PM
dnt have it, cant afford the money atm to buy it
i think when the hack is finalised and finnished and done ect. then ill dl it ready and hope that someone will lend that weird game to me so i can use it!

gd work though. hush hush! ;)

guillaume
26th June 2007, 10:27 AM
Somebody said it caused graphical issues in one of the download tracks, too. We're aware of them, but have no idea what has changed in the firmware to cause them. Trouble is, the development team are so busy with Pulse right now that a fix is not the priority.
Do you mean the fix would come from SL? Like patched versions of Gamma and Delta packs? I would have thought the problem came from the firmware, with Sony changing things without testing backward compatibility, and that a firmware update would fix everything.
Even in that case, maybe it would be SL people who would be more competent to find what causes the bug and then inform Sony people.
But I prefer to think that Sony are the bad guys and SL my idol! :D
So it would be good if Sony developers could run Pure with some tools running, checking for what the game uses in the firmware, and fix everything. Plus it would increase the chance of us having a fix as soon as possible, SL having better things to do at the moment. :) (so excited about Pulse right now!)

Task
26th June 2007, 01:32 PM
When the OS causes a problem with some application, it's typically the job of the app developer to inform the OS developer of any issues that recent changes have caused. Along the lines of "this change you made over here has caused our software to change in behaviour like this". When you've got a definite set of applications (the PSP game library in this case) you'd like to think that the OS developer would use them as a backwards compatibility testing suite, but as the number of PSP games increases with time the task of checking each new OS version would become gargantuan, so they probably skip it entirely. They might check to see that the game still loads, but not likely too much beyond that.

The point being, SL are probably the only ones really qualified and outfitted to determine what the firmware updates have broken in Pure, and they're really busy right now!

At least, that's the way software development works on my side of the pond. There could definitely be some differences in how they do things over there. 8 )

q_dmc12
26th June 2007, 05:29 PM
one can only hope..:frown:

Frances_Penfold
3rd July 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, it looks like PSP custom firmware will be no more, at least in its current form.

http://boards.ign.com/psp_general_board/b7159/145075063/p1/?14

http://www.dark-alex.org/

Good riddance, I say. Though I do hope that Sony develops their PSP firmware to a greater extent in the future, implementing some of the features that Dark Alex did.

I guess that leaves us with even fewer options for running Wipeout Pure :(

I am treading water right now with an older (official) PSP firmware version, wondering what the heck to do with Pulse arrives.

Frances_Penfold
13th July 2007, 04:45 AM
Returning to the issue of Wipeout Pure, and the firmware problems... the release of the new PSP in September at least gives us an excuse to get a NEW PSP with current firmware to run Wipeout Pulse, while keeping an OLD PSP with a lower firmware version that allows normal run of Wipeoout Pure.

I guess that's something :)

I think I have v.2.8 or so on my PSP right now and have no plans to upgrade and risk proper play of Pure.

Task
13th July 2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know, I'm running 2.8 myself and I get some strange behaviour every now and then.

For example, I can't finish a Descension tournament. I've tried 2 or 3 times and the PSP always crashes partway through. I did it on Vector once a while back, but I haven't managed it on Venom yet. Quite annoying, getting most of the way through a 12 race tournament and then having the PSP hang on me.

Had my sound go wonky after coming out of sleep mode, just using the mp3 player.

I get the impression that by upgrading my firmware I just get to choose what kind of odd behaviour I'm going to get. Very strange.

borell
13th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Task and Frances_Penfold,

upgrading your PSP with official firmware does not mean that you have to update to the latest version.

Maybe 3.00, 3.01, 3.03, or 3.10 could be of interest. As far as I know, there are no problems with the extra packs for Pure using mentioned versions, but you will be able to enjoy playing the game at 266 MHz. Just a thought...

Rapier Racer
13th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Are you saying there is a place where I cant get the 3.01 official firmware? I want back the first firmware release that contained the UMD auto boot disable option because I had that for a long time before upgrading and things were great I think it was 3.01 I can't find a features list detailing what it had

Tomahawk
13th July 2007, 05:16 PM
If you find out how to downgrade your PSP to official firmware then let me know. I always thought you couldn't downgrade a PSP to a lower official firmware version from the one you have installed...

borell
13th July 2007, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone,

well... In my response, there was never a discussion about downgrading. Both Task and Frances_Penfold wrote that they are on version 2.8.

The rest will not be discussed here.

Task
14th July 2007, 02:54 AM
Well, I traded in my PSP today for a less-used one, and it came with 3.02 firmware!

And I turned off the Auto Boot UMD!

So that'll answer someones question. I'll try out a Descension tourny tomorrow and see how that goes.

Frances_Penfold
17th July 2007, 04:26 AM
upgrading your PSP with official firmware does not mean that you have to update to the latest version.

Maybe 3.00, 3.01, 3.03, or 3.10 could be of interest. As far as I know, there are no problems with the extra packs for Pure using mentioned versions, but you will be able to enjoy playing the game at 266 MHz. Just a thought...

Thanks for the info, Borell, I was wondering about this.

I guess I'm just scared to adjust the firmware AT ALL given the horror stories about disrupting Pure. Getting access to 266 Mhz could be nice though I suppose.

In visiting official PSP websites I'm not seeing the option to download 3.00-3.10 though it DOES seem possible to obtain 3.30 through 3.51 and 2.01 to 2.81. Perhaps Sony doesn't like 3.00-3.10 for holes it made in the firmware?

Here is a link:
http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/psp/guides/detail/item54261/

In any case, I'll probably just stick with 2.8 for now. If folks know a LEGITIMATE way to get 3.00-3.10 please let me know! (I'm NOT interested in custom firmware nor in this thread evolving into a discussion of firmware downgrading, please :) )

Thank goodness there is a new PSP revision coming in September, when Pulse is released. I'd be pissed to have to upgrade my firmware and ruin gameplay of Pure simply to have access to Pulse.

angelino
17th July 2007, 05:49 AM
I can probably find you download links for 3.00-3.10 mate, but definitely not from official sources ie. Sony, as they pull down any old firmwares as soon as they upload the newer revisions... It's not in their interests to host older versions that contain the various exploits etc of course!
---
Update... found the firmwares you want between 3.00 and 3.10... site isn't official but is definitely reputable, I have gotten countless firmwares off there as I have done quite a bit of messing with my PSP over time and never had a problem with any of their files:

3.00 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-3.00-Firmware-PSP/pg/12/fid/11369/catid/163
3.01 - http://dl.qj.net/FW-3.01-update-PSP/pg/12/fid/11396/catid/163
3.03 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-3.03-PSP/pg/12/fid/11844/catid/163
3.10 - http://dl.qj.net/PSP-Firmware-3.10-PSP/pg/12/fid/12460/catid/163

None of these are custom firmwares, they're all the originals. Hope this helps!

borell
17th July 2007, 06:49 AM
When I need official firmware, I download it from qj.net. I trust their site, and their files, completely. Good choice of site, angelino. :)

For the moment I have 1.50, 2.71, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03, 3.10, 3.11, 3.30, 3.40 and 3.50 downloaded, most of them off of that site. So far I have made over 20 firmware changes, and I have never had problems with flashing.

angelino
17th July 2007, 01:19 PM
What firmware do you currently run? Did you see that a new release group has stepped in to take DAX's place and have made a custom 3.51!

Rapier Racer
17th July 2007, 01:55 PM
I've downloaded 3.00 3.01 and 3.03 it doesn't say what one had the UMD auto boot disabler. Nice to have them just in case but I think I shall keep my Pure PSP at 2.81 this firmware has not crashed my PSP in absolutely ages seems to be very good for Pure online

Frances_Penfold
17th July 2007, 03:51 PM
Wow, thanks Angelino and Borell for that helpful information! :beer

I'll download those 3.0 versions for sure though, like Rapier, I may wait a bit to actually upgrade, since I'm not having few issues with my PSP crashing while running 2.81 at the moment.

Tomahawk
17th July 2007, 04:55 PM
...The rest will not be discussed here.

This would sound like a pretty harsh and rude comment if I didn't know you personally, borell. I guess you didn't mean any rudeness but nevertheless I want to clear this up here and now:

I never talked about downgrading my PSP by illegal means. I was merely asking if it is possible to take a step back without using any custom made firmwares or downgraders. I think I've read somewhere that it is not possible to simply install a firmware which has a lower version number right over the one which is already installed on my PSP (e.g. 3.30 -> 3.01). Right now I'm running my white beauty on official sony FW 3.30 and have all the problems discussed in this thread while playing Pure online/multiplayer... :blarg

...Update... found the firmwares you want between 3.00 and 3.10... site isn't official but is definitely reputable, I have gotten countless firmwares off there as I have done quite a bit of messing with my PSP over time and never had a problem with any of their files...

Thanks man! Downloaded 3.00 to 3.10. Now I've just to find some way to get them installed without messing up my PSP forever... :pc

rageagainstgeorge
17th July 2007, 05:28 PM
You can downgrade with no harm to your psp. You can't do it by official means of course. There's more than enough info on the net for you to do it.

I'd understand if didn't want to do it by unofficial means, i was just saying that the risk is minimal.

borell
17th July 2007, 05:44 PM
Sorry Thomas,

I never meant it to be rude, or harsh. Either I expressed myself poorly, or I could not foresee your reaction. I will be try to be more careful.

Cheers mate. :beer

The Gracer
27th July 2007, 07:39 AM
3.52 is out - has anyone tried this with pure?

Rapier Racer
27th July 2007, 10:22 PM
3.50 seems to have fixed the problem!!!

zargz
27th July 2007, 10:38 PM
Seems??! Enlighten us! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif

Rapier Racer
27th July 2007, 10:48 PM
OK I CONFIRM! not only 3.50 but 3.52 was downloaded by me and tested on Kai also and it works too, whatever the problem was it is not there anymore.

zargz
27th July 2007, 10:57 PM
Did you try crossing the finish-line looking backwards on ..
forgot the track but you know which i mean, one of the dl trax ?? ;)

Rapier Racer
27th July 2007, 10:59 PM
lol no that I did not try :sonar

stin
28th July 2007, 06:47 AM
Hmmm...that is sound promising but I can wait till 100% concrete then I will upgrade the FW.

Mark Of Insanity
28th July 2007, 01:37 PM
I am on firmware 3.11 and am waiting on a noobz 3.11 downgrader, (any other and my PSP would brick).

infoxicated
29th July 2007, 08:41 AM
At which point haven't I made myself clear on this issue?

Discuss custom firmware on this site and you will be banned.

Mark, this is your first and final warning. Do it again and you're done here.

Mark Of Insanity
29th July 2007, 11:58 AM
I was pretty sure I hadn't discussed custom firmware at all. But anyway, I don't want to ruin this topic...

Continuing... if it seems like 3.52/3.50 will fix the problems, I will upgrade, but I would rather wait for, as stin said, a confirmed fix rather than upgrading it and finding that it makes the problem worse on certain Psp's, or something to that effect.

Rapier Racer
29th July 2007, 12:54 PM
Don't really know how much more proof we can give you, multiple Kai sessions on both effected packs with perfect results each time? Can't do better than that I'm afraid. I didn't even know Rom was using 3.50 till he mentioned it at which point I grabbed my old PSP to have a go and found oh yes perfect, but I upgraded it to 3.52 because Tomahawk had the earlier 3.11-3.40 firmware and couldn't get hold of 3.50 anymore, tested that firmware, working also.

If you are waiting for Sony to say oh yes we fixed it lads then you will be waiting till your funeral.

Mark Of Insanity
29th July 2007, 01:00 PM
I think I'll just go ahead and do it, I don't think they can do much worse than 3.11's effects.

Mad-Ice
29th July 2007, 01:33 PM
This is sounding so good guys!!! Do you guys know on which speed FW 3.52 runs 266Mhz or 333Mhz?

lunar
29th July 2007, 02:11 PM
I`m on 3.50 and I`m fairly sure that it`s 266, but my Pure skills are sadly diminished and it doesn`t fly perfect laps for you, even on a higher cpu speed apparently :( So I can`t really tell. I will resume Pure play, as part of Pulse training, hopefully at some point. If those who upgraded to 3.5+ and still play regularly are beating all their records then we will know.

As RR says, 3.50 seems to work ok, just crashes in all the usual places anyway, like Exostra Run in single player tournaments and coming out of sleep mode on US version, which is a good sign! :)

Rapier Racer
29th July 2007, 03:16 PM
Was it not said the Pure will never run at 333, only new games made from this point on will.

Frances_Penfold
29th July 2007, 06:03 PM
^^
That's my impression as well, Rapier. The 333 Mhz official unlocking in recent firmware is supposed to ONLY be for new games that are specifically developed to take advantage of it.

So I'm curious about the 266 Mhz unlocking, and how it appears to be affecting performance of Pure. Perhaps it some other feature of the firmware that is affecting Pure?

At this point, is it more appropriate for TT'ing for racers to stick with older firmware (and slower speeds) or go ahead to take advantage of the 266 Mhz?

For the time being I'm gonna stick with firmware 2.8 until more information is known about 3.5 and 3.52, better safe than sorry!

lunar
29th July 2007, 06:32 PM
All the people still Time Trialing are taking full advantage of 266mhz, so you should too, I suppose. :) We always had an agreement that any official update is fair play. Frances, I have no idea why we got the cpu/speed increase after 3.0, but apparently not on 3.5. I agree it is a curious thing.

Sony did say that 3.5 wouldn`t affect old games` speed, and I agree I think that`s the way it is.

Frances_Penfold
29th July 2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Lunar, sounds good :)

If the reports about 3.52 continue to be positive I'll go ahead and upgrade from 2.82. Either way, I don't think I pose a serious threat to the top pilots around here :p

Mad-Ice
30th July 2007, 11:27 AM
Mmmm, so I guess we still don't know for sure at which speed the processor is running with FW 3.52!

Well I will stay on the safe side with FW 3.01.

Rapier Racer
3rd August 2007, 10:57 AM
I had a chance to do some further testing, it seems that 3.52 works fine for multi player but crashes during offline single player tournaments (freezing) on Delta and Gamma randomly. So I guess you'd need to choose between the excitement of Kai or em, offline mode against the timid AI, single races seems to work ok offline.

Frances_Penfold
3rd August 2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info, Rapier!

To be fair, I experience random game freezes with firmware 2.82 somewhat regularly, in particular with the Omega pack (single races, time trials or tournaments). So 3.52 may not be any worse than what I am running.

What about problems with textures or with some tracks ALWAYS not working? Nothing like that, eh?

Rapier Racer
3rd August 2007, 02:21 PM
So far I've not noticed any problems with track textures, I cannot speak for the omega pack I will not race it so can't say if it works with 3.52 or not.

zargz
3rd August 2007, 05:54 PM
Why won't you race it :??

Rapier Racer
3rd August 2007, 06:47 PM
Because I can't stand the site of it and all its cartoon em, jokeness, I hate Omega pack and its ships more than the rest of this forum hates Wipeout Fusion.

zargz
3rd August 2007, 06:55 PM
I like the look of the prototype tracks in wo3 (am I the only one?),
also in pure (the cyber tracks) and I've seen the Omega tracks on multiplayer VDOs
they look cool to me so I'll give them, and all other tracks, a chance. :D

Tomahawk
3rd August 2007, 07:34 PM
Soooo... I've updated my PSP to official FW 3.52 now and.... *drumroll* ... it WORKS! :hyper

I successfully hosted and played through a non-kai multiplayer SR on exostra run (which always crashed since I upgraded to 3.11 or higher). I'll try some kai tonight to see if really everything works fine now and I'll race some single player over the weekend to see if my game crashes randomly, too, like RR said. I'll post my "testing results" here.

stin
3rd August 2007, 08:01 PM
He just don`t like Omega cos he does not like the fish or just cannot handle to get beat!:p

Seriously, it is a good packs but I do prefer 123Klan track.

Lance
3rd August 2007, 08:38 PM
I like the look of the prototype tracks in wo3 (am I the only one?),...

As a group, those have always been my favourites. They give the purest racing feel of all. I love the prototype style.

Tomahawk
4th August 2007, 06:47 PM
A swift report on my experiences with official sony FW 3.52: I've successfully raced a whole delta tour and a whole gamma tour without crashing on kai multiplayer. I've also raced a lot of single player races (tournament and single race) and my psp didn't freeze even once! It really seems that this latest firmware from sony has fixed our problems with pure's download packs.

stin
4th August 2007, 09:46 PM
Omega?

Mad-Ice
5th August 2007, 11:16 AM
I am really happy for all of you that had so many problems with this FW 3.11 and above. :hyper

Tomahawk
5th August 2007, 02:44 PM
Omega?

Who really wants to race that pile of neo psychedelic crap called "omega pack", stevie? ;) Haven't tested it yet, but I've never experienced any problems with the omega pack or the classic2 pack even on 3.11, so I'm fairly sure it should work just fine.

Rapier Racer
5th August 2007, 02:54 PM
Course Omega will work, that was something that really pissed me off about 3.11. It totally screwed Gamma and effected Delta but Omega worked perfectly, just another little slap in the face lol

q_dmc12
6th August 2007, 09:58 PM
Wow man, you have issues..........:ouhh...but I mean that in the nicest possible way.:)

Asayyeah
9th August 2007, 11:58 PM
I am glad that they fix that shitty bug especially for players we missed on Kai.
Happy to see you back in Kai Tom & Dan :)

Relequestual
15th August 2007, 06:33 PM
*updates psp firmware!* now i can play pure again! bet i suk now! lol
gotta get ready for pulse!

Sausehuhn
15th August 2007, 07:55 PM
Oh that sounds good :)
I'll be updating these days then.
All I need is someone who gets my Xlink working on a Mac...

Asayyeah
20th August 2007, 01:10 AM
Max maybe you can PM or msn Lion, he used a mac to connect to kai last year.

Frances_Penfold
20th August 2007, 01:35 AM
What do we know now about firmware compatability over Kai? I'm still running 2.82 firmware-- if I want to start online play with y'all, should I upgrade to the newest firmware?

And, uh, any word of problems with the newest firmware? Does it look like things are really fixed now?

Task
20th August 2007, 01:22 PM
Uh... just a couple posts before yours it was made fairly clear that all issues were fixed in 3.5 and onwards.

Frances_Penfold
20th August 2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry, Task.

I guess what I'm asking is, does everybody that is playing on Kai together at a given time need to have the same version of the PSP firmware? Or does this apparently not matter? My understanding (maybe wrong!) was that there has been some history of problems involving Kai and the firmware-- just trying to get a sense for the current situation.

Or put another way-- if I'm going to start playing on Kai, do I need to keep my PSP firmware constantly updated to what other folks are using? :)

Asayyeah
20th August 2007, 03:33 PM
ok now I understood you Frances :paperbag

we have various firmwares when playing on Kai , i got 3.02, stevie 3.10, his son 2.70, Rapier racer 3.50 or more and Dag 2.00 , we can race together but for a year we experimented some weird lag bug as you certainly read before.
My guess is, those bugs come from the different firmware we are using atm but this is only my opinion, nothing has been invalidated nor confirmed.
Note that it s only happening when we are racing at 5 , rarely when at 4

Rapier Racer
20th August 2007, 07:11 PM
Well I actually use my 2.81 PSP on Kai so there is no need to update from that firmware unless you actually want to or need it for another game. I doubt there will ever be a time where all Pure players on Kai have the same firmware. In my opinion the bugs aren't caused by different firmwares but by the room being more busy with people who have not so great connections.

mdhay
10th September 2007, 08:42 PM
I think there is still a minor bug on exostra run when I got gold. When I move on to the next letter of my tag, it froze completely. Any one else had this?

stin
11th September 2007, 06:51 AM
Yes, that is a common bug and you will get through it eventually.