PDA

View Full Version : non psx wipeouts

Hydra XL
3rd June 2002, 04:36 AM
One of my compadres seems to recollect Wipeout 64 being the best out of them all (excluding the still-to-be-released-here Fusion). I'm wondering who has played this version and whether it's worth purchasing the n64 for (i also want zelda) as i've seen the system for fairly cheap.

also, has any one tried the Saturn version of Wipeout? Is it in any way better than the psx version?

Additionally, I thought the PC version of Wipeout XL was awesome but now it'd be near impossible to find it... any leads? thx

ps. i believe the Fusion release date has been bumped up to June 11th. Can any one confirm or deny this?

Nathan Adams
3rd June 2002, 05:52 AM
wo64 is indeed an excellent addition to the series, but i wouldn't go as far as calling it the best. wo3 is still way better.
but that said, wo64 is similar to wo2097 - although with some cool new tracks, and the introduction of team specific super weapons (such as feisars machine gun, pirhana2's cloak, and so on). If you can pick up an n64 cheap - than by all means go for it. see if you can pick up some other cheapy games too

wo2097 on pc hard to find? we got a handful at work for au$10 each!! (thats us$5)

AmigoJack
3rd June 2002, 10:13 AM
the saturn versions:

(both wipeouts were converted by tantalus which means they virtually used the same render model to "emulate" the psx-games. so i wonder that they didnt went on to convert W3 also...)

W'O'':
there is a major "game-physics-bug": you do NOT slow down and go upside down when hitting the wall - you simply bump it like a flipper ball. so the game itself is quite more easy to play (and maybe not so frustrating to most), but all in all this is NOT the original game from psx or pc, because this major difficulty doesnt exist. so completing silverstream is no big task at all.

the soundtrack is CoLD SToRAGE (nearly) only, like on the pc-version. but there are 3 additional tracks by rob lord & mark bandola (sounds also very good) which arent available to the pc-version (saturn exclusivly i think).

W'O''2097:
this is (think so) like the original - it behaves at least like the pc-version. but the graphics are as bad as in the first game. nevertheless this is nearly a 100% conversion and can be purchased without doubts.

the soundtrack is CoLD SToRAGE only, like on the pc-version. but there is 1 additional track exclusivly for saturn only named "Body In Motion Plus" (>9min!). sounds all good, but after playing it 100 times you wish it would have prodigy & co as soundtracks...

(my $1/50)

Lance
3rd June 2002, 05:58 PM
home-of-the-underdogs [ http://www.the-underdogs.org/ ], though it doesn't have a download for 2097 does have a link under their review of the game where you can buy the PC version [double check to make sure it's pc] from an american supplier for 14.95 dollars U.S., plus shipping. the postage to get one of those 5 dollar australian ones that Nathan mentions would probably be pretty steep.

it used to be possible to download an 11 meg version of the game from the net, no music, of course. but i don't know of any sources for it anymore; they seem to have dried up. there was also a 16 meg dl that consisted of a 10 meg video and a 2097 demo that only included the gare d'europa circuit, but i don't know where to get that either. there may be a source for these somewhere, but i no longer know where. sorry

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2002, 10:00 PM
wipeout xl and 2097 have superior colors on saturn vs psx. THey actually almost run as smooth and handle quite well. Wipeout 64 is just like xl, but faster. You will need a better controller than the n64 pad though. getting back to xl and 2097 on the saturn, the graphics aren't quite as good and a little more pixelated. piranha on xl only runs at 240 kph for some bizzarre reason. Don't know if this happens on 2097 though, it could have been a bug translating from pal to ntsc-j :D

FoxZero
4th June 2002, 01:28 AM
yes hydra, 6/11/02 is the official fusion date according to electronics boutique. mark your calendars, kiddies (if you havent already) :)