PDA

View Full Version : Problems on XP

red joker
13th February 2007, 10:37 AM
Hey :)

I stumbled across an old demo disk in my CD collection a few days ago, and remembered it had a Wipeout XL demo on it... so I installed that and I've been playing it over and over.

Then I got bored of just two modes on one map, and remembered I had the full version lying around. I hunted for it, installed it in '95 compatibility mode... but it doesn't run.

This is a problem I've had with all my XP computers, except for our really ancient one a few years back (the kind of computer that's so old it shouldn't even have XP installed on it). When I run the game, it starts up, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then "Wipeout2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" pops up.

Is it possible this is a problem with my copy of the game (since nobody else anywhere on the internet seems to have this problem)?

infoxicated
13th February 2007, 01:00 PM
Hey there - welcome to the site, fellow scotsman! :)

To be honest, I think you'll struggle to get it running on a modern machine. Even once you get the executable running you'll still have to slow the CPU down enough so that the game is running at a playable speed.

Having said that, I'm not exactly an expert in getting it to run on a PC, since I generally play the Wipeout games on PlayStation. Maybe somebody else can shed some light on the issue.

red joker
13th February 2007, 02:25 PM
Woo, what part of this fine country do ye hail from? :D (I'm a Scotswoman btw ;) )

To be honest, I think you'll struggle to get it running on a modern machine.

I'm beginning to see that. :( I have an ancient broken laptop under some of these heaps of junk in my house (its screen is smashed and it has 128MB ram, 100MHz processor, etc.) that might run the game if I get it set up.

Question - is it more likely the hardware or operating system that would cause trouble? I'm on XP SP2 on this computer, but I could probably find a copy of Win95 to stick on the old laptop if it would work better than XP.

Lion
13th February 2007, 05:30 PM
the problem with the laptop idea is that it probably won't have a video card that's capable of 3d accelleration, the full game requires that whereas the demo can run in "ramp emulation" mode.

the ideal hardware for wipeout 2097/xl on windows is roughly a p166 with a voodoo card and ~64mb ram running win9x

in saying that, it should at least start properly on a modern desktop, a few things to look at:
are you choosing direct3d as the render mode?
do you have some antivirus software that may be interfering?
have you set the actual game exe to use compatibility mode? or just did the install that way?

I highly doubt that it's hardware that's the problem in getting the game fired up. the only way I can see that being a problem is if you are for some reason trying to use a powervr based executable that requires one of those cards specifically

red joker
13th February 2007, 05:50 PM
Hey Lion thanks for the response :)

are you choosing direct3d as the render mode?

Yep.

do you have some antivirus software that may be interfering?

Nope. Behaves the same whether it (kaspersky) is running or not, and I use the firewall in my router rather than a software firewall. I'll check and see Windows Firewall isn't running though.

have you set the actual game exe to use compatibility mode? or just did the install that way?

Both; the game exe and installation are under '95 compatibility mode.

stin
13th February 2007, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the WipeoutZone, another scottish lady:)

Why not just buy ps1 with any wipeouts?

stevie:)

red joker
13th February 2007, 07:11 PM
Ooh, another Scot. :D

I don't want to play the game on a console because there's one TV in our house, and the rest of my family is usually using it. ;) It's far more convenient to play games on the PC here.

MAMUTH
13th February 2007, 08:23 PM
then you have to use a PS one emulator EPSXE is the best solution:+

red joker
13th February 2007, 08:37 PM
I've got it. But I have no idea how to use it.

Task
13th February 2007, 09:08 PM
If you've got a tuner card in your PC you could probably route a Playstation output into it and avoid the whole problem entirely.

That'll allow you to use your PC monitor as an extra TV screen without giving you any emulation headaches.

red joker
13th February 2007, 09:16 PM
There's one in the computer downstairs... nobody uses it. I'll go see if I can snag it.

Once I've got the card in, would the PS just connect to it like it was plugging into a TV then? And would the keyboard control it the same as it would control the demo or would I be using the PS controllers?

Now I'll need to go find a copy of PS version of Wipeout, lol.

Lance
13th February 2007, 09:16 PM
Jay, either way, it would be spend money on a tv or spend money on a possibly dodgy old Playstation. Spend, spend, spend. You must be one o' them danged liberal Republicans. ;) ;D

Do they have those in Canada under another name?

edit: Oops, just saw rj's reply, we posted at the same time. Well, if you already have a PS, of course...... :)

Task
14th February 2007, 02:22 AM
8 ) Yeah, up here they're just called Liberals, and they tend to run the country unless there's been a sudden burst of rationality around voting time, in which case we usually end up with Conservatives. Unless you're in BC, in which case you're even _worse_ off and you've got the NDP. (yikes!) 8 D

I assumed there was a playstation around, 'cause there almost always is.
A copy of WOXL oughta run ya about $5.

Once you've got the pieces together, you should be able to test it with any old music CD. The playstation comes with a music player, you see. So yeah, just hook that puppy into the tuner card. You don't have a keyboard, you're using the playstation to process the data, the PC is purely an output device. Once you've got the tuner card in, you'll have to figure out how to get the tuner card displayed on the screen, but I imagine windows will autodetect and it'll be fairly simple.

The playstation controller is a far superior input device compared to the keyboard anyway, I'd swear that the Dualshock was what killed "PC gaming". And just about every other platform until they improved their controllers to an at least equal standpoint.

rdmx
15th February 2007, 09:39 AM
Did you try moving the folder to C: drive root and renaming the folder "Wobble"?

red joker
15th February 2007, 12:19 PM
Um, wrong thread? http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1397/lolch7.gif

Lance
15th February 2007, 04:02 PM
Insertcoin, I think that only works with a specific ripped copy, maybe? I've never tried that with XP, though it does work flawlessly on winME and win98; I did it before I could get the original console version.

q_dmc12
23rd February 2007, 02:56 AM
or.... *cough*emulator*cough*...sorry, what was that? ;)

EDIT: sorry MAMUTH, didn't see your post - too late now...

red joker
24th February 2007, 12:01 AM
or.... *cough*emulator*cough*...sorry, what was that? ;)

EDIT: sorry MAMUTH, didn't see your post - too late now...

Couldn't get the game (a copy of the PSX version I whipped off demonoid) to run in ePSXe. If you can explain for me, I'll give it a shot. :)

frano
5th March 2007, 04:46 PM
I had the same problem since on my disk ther were 3 exe-files to start the game:
D3D.exe runs the game in Direct3d
POWERVR.exe runs game in PowerVR
LAUNCHER.exe just makes the screen turn black and then nothing happens

When I autostart the disk, launcher.exe starts, but the game only works if i start it via wipeout2.exe in the INSTALL FOLDER ON HARDDISK

maybe this could solve your problem. good luck :+