PDA

View Full Version : WipEout - a few questions.....

lunar
1st February 2007, 11:12 AM
A few things have been puzzling me about this amazing game. I`ve read the manual, searched and not found, so some answers from the WipEout pros would be appreciated.

- Is there a way to set the default view so you don`t have to change at the start line every time? This is the only WipEout that I like to play external view, but it`s a bit of a pain to have to change every time.

- Are there Perfect Laps? I`m sure I`ve flown plenty, but it`s never shown me a Perfect Lap graphic.

- Sometimes my negcon seems to lose its twist setting and I have to re-enter it. Anyone seen this happen, or know of a way to make it reliable?

- What is the truth about turbo starts? I`ve read all topics about them and there seem to be different opinions. I make it that the energy bar has to be in the third section from the end, about three quarters of the way up this section, right before the point at which you get the parking start instead. Anyone agree?

Lance
1st February 2007, 03:01 PM
Take into account that I've just started getting into this game, and my experience is still very small compared to others like Jay [Task].

Turbo is gotten in the first segment at the highest onscreen position, the one that has that small zigzag at the very leftmost part of it. I think it is the one you're talking about, number three segment to the left of the rightside edge. The very top row of segments. Getting a turbo is touchier, trickier in this one than in 2097/XL. I've been able to get a turbo in every part of the segment, but I think it requires that you instantly press to full throttle just after go; if you press too soon, the thrust falls to zero; if you don't press all the way, then thrust stays at the level it was whilst holding for a turbo.

I've never seen a perfect lap message even though I've done one or two.

I don't remember having a loss of neG settings.

Default view I don't know about; I always use nosecam.

Task
1st February 2007, 05:11 PM
I've only been able to get the turbo by having the thrust bar on the line between the 3rd and 2nd last boxes on the GO!

Yes, exactly on the line.

A little farther left, it's a non-turbo start with good initial speed.
A little farther right and it's *wug, wug, wug* Start, down, left, X.

Of course, I'm far from a master of the turbo start. 8 (
But I am getting there!
Al might know for certain on this one. I'm very interested in Lance's idea that the bar can be anywhere in the 3rd last box. That would make it easier. I don't think it works that way though, I'm fairly certain it's "on the line". I'd hope that if it were "anywhere in the box" that I'd have mastered it by now! 8 )

AFAK, there's no way to change default view, but just like Lance I'm pure nosecam. Try changing it for a tournament and seeing if it persists across races. Then save your game. See if that makes it stick.

There definitely are Perfect Laps, but I don't know if they notify you of it visibly. It's not like XL where you can't see anything BUT "Perfect Lap!" on your screen, but that doesn't mean there isn't something on screen to signify it. Still, I'm fairly sure there's no notification of it.

I can only wish I could use my Neggie and lose my settings occasionally.

I think that's all I can do for you.

Lance
1st February 2007, 05:43 PM
I've gotten full turbo in the following positions:
Exactly on the right line of the turbo segment.
Very slightly left of that line, but with a visible space inbetween.
Sitting right in the middle of the segment either with the end of the red indicator bar solidly unmoving or wavering.
In the left quarter of the segment, with a visible space between end of thrustbar and left line, again either still or wavering.

From any of those positions, when I press the accelerator button full down after 'go', the thrust bar goes to full thrust right away.
Unless I'm having a lot of ''senior moments'', which is possible if not currently likely. Perhaps ''right away'' is variable? I've only put in two serious sessions on the game, so my experience is limited, but I did a lot of restarts, especially on the second session when I kept sneezing before they said 'go'.

Task
1st February 2007, 09:18 PM
Very interesting! It sounds like the important thing is to be full-on the X once the GO! has been given. That could very well be my biggest issue.
Would explain a lot, actually.

Medusa
1st February 2007, 09:29 PM
I've no idea about the default view as I NEVER play in external view.

Perfect lap? Once you can manage the game without hitting the wall you'll know it, and the LAST thing you'll want popping up on your screen is a perfect lap indicator!! I find I need all my concentration on this one, perhaps I lose focus a little too easily or something.

I've never lost a neGcon setting in WipEout, it only happens to me in XL and 3. So perhaps it's your neggie??

Ohhhh, that turbo start...I have even my blinks timed in this wretched game, stare closely at thrust bar, if I get the turbo start, then there is about a half second pause between the point where the thrust bar blasts up to full and the point where your craft actually moves. (So blink there and if you're lucky you'll snatch 2 quick blinks before negotiating the first turbo of the race.;) )

I think the precise point where the thrust must be in order to get the turbo start will be forever unknown BECAUSE:
I have found that I get a turbo whenever the thrust happens to be in the second half of the third box from right AT THE POINT THE ANNOUNCER SAYS "GO".
What I am guessing is that the game decides very shortly AFTER the "go", whether you will get the turbo or not. Many times I have had the thrust perfectly aligned in the third bar with about a hair's breadth between the thrust and the line, at the exact time which the "GO" sounds, and guess what, no turbo. I think what happens is the thrust goes into the second bar before the game cuts in to make its "turbo or bust" decision.
And yes the thrust button definitely has to be pressed down to get it, no trying to ease off to get the thrust in the right section.

Anyways that's what I have found, I'd love to hear one of the programmers' explanations on this cruel trick!

lunar
2nd February 2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the answers N.A.W.T.Y. pilots. :+ Plenty to think about there, very interesting. For the dreaded start, I think it must make a difference whether you use analogue or digital thrust. I`m guessing Task and Medusa have digital (via d-pad or B button on the neg, like me) and that Lance has analogue on the neggy, which might help to get it in the sweet spot on the "go". After reading you all, I`m starting to think it`s a matter of the bar being in the right place, having the right timing when you hit thrust after the "go", and perhaps a little bit of luck as Medusa says - a cocktail of trickiness by the developers, for sure. I wonder if a 100% success rate is possible. I`ll need to "research" some more, I think ;) A programmer would be nice at this point, yes!

Lance
2nd February 2007, 03:08 PM
I believe 'Medusa' is also using a neGGy, but I've no idea what button she's using for accelerator.

I don't even keep racing unless I get the turbo start.

Medusa
2nd February 2007, 06:03 PM
Yes, I use B button for thrust on the neggy, and A for fire. And like Lance, I don't keep racing if there was no turbo start (on Venom class - I've not got enough practice yet on Rapier on any track but Altima or Karbonis so I usually race anyways!)
The race is 100% different tactically when you get a turbo to start with and when you don't. Meaning, no record lap on the first lap without a turbo start...:frown:

RJ O'Connell
1st July 2007, 02:35 AM
As the fastest D-pad WipEout regular, I cannot discuss neGcon settings. I doubt that I'll step right into neggie usage and equal my times, to be honest.

Personally, using nose cam really sucks in this game. Especially when your craft tends to roll if you hit a wall at high speeds - then not only do you lose time but you become briefly disoriented and that often compounds the problem for me.

I have a question too: What does N.A.W.T.Y. stand for when regarding WipEout experts like lunar, Medusa, and myself?

lunar
1st July 2007, 09:12 AM
I like to use external view for the simple reason that I like to see the lovely ships, :paperbag, but the view issue is weird - on any other Wipeout game I find external view impossible and just hit the walls constantly. I think what happens on the other games is that I turn with the camera position, and hence the ship turns too late. On original wipeout, though, I find I nicely time my turns according to where the ship, is with external view. I wonder if there is something different about the camera position on it? On the original game the ship seems to be part of the world you`re seeing on the track. On the others it almost seems to be an overlay - an add-on that you move left and right over a scrolling track, rather than being part of the scene. Maybe I`m just odd.... I will try some of the others again with external, but I already did with Pure and it was carnage.

NAWTY stands for North American Wipeout Team. The Y is just for effect, because they are. Especially on Karbonis ;) So I`m not a member of this exclusive pilot`s club. :D

RJ O'Connell
1st July 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm assuming the members are Medusa, Q-DMC, myself (duh), Task, Lance...am I missing anyone?

Asayyeah
1st July 2007, 04:01 PM
yeah , possibly me :paperbag ...ok i conceide it will be only for a fortnight ill open the door of the NAWTY club
Got my wild-card from Al ;)

Chill
1st July 2007, 06:23 PM
Me too dude.

q_dmc12
2nd July 2007, 02:50 AM
I'm assuming the members are Medusa, Q-DMC, myself (duh), Task, Lance...am I missing anyone?

Vagrant Logic and...umm... Hacker X.....and Frances_Penfold :D

almost forgot you frank.

G'Kyl
4th July 2007, 04:59 AM
At first I found the rolling camera disturbing as well. I gave it a try, however, since I prefer cockpit view in racing games (gives a better sensation of speed) and you do get used to the dizzying bumps. You learn quickly how the ships behave after they crash into walls, so you can actually continue right away without taking a brake to get your orientation back. Give it another run or two. :)

By the way, speaking about the NAWTY: Where'd Lance go? I can't remember him not posting for two weeks...

Ben

Task
4th July 2007, 01:46 PM
I actually really like what the camera does when you hit a wall.
Negative reinforcement, now I tend to not hit walls. 8 )
But I don't find it a problem if I do occasionally.
Just like G'Kyl says, you do get used to it.

And yes, Lance has been absent, and his absence has definitely been noted. AFAIK, nobody has any idea where he's at. We simply await his return.

Asayyeah
4th July 2007, 02:53 PM
With internal view the rolling ship looks like a barell roll in Pure without a boost :robot so i am not too puzzled

Lance
9th July 2007, 11:28 PM
Ben, my telephone connection went wonky for 2 weeks. Technical problems. Still not sure that problem is totally solved.