PDA

View Full Version : WipEout and other Next-Gen Consoles

The Gracer
28th January 2007, 05:04 AM
Im not sure about you guys and console bias - so far i havent seen anything to worry me but id hate to kick up a huge flame war in my first week of posting!

Personally, after purchasing an Xbox in mid '05 i wondered why i waited so long. the controllers triggers offered superior pressure control over the playstations buttons, and the controller, imo, had a more natural feel to it - especially for racing games.

The topic id like to touch on in this thread is whether you guys would like to see WipEout on Xbox360 as well as PS3.

I know this is a legal impossibility since what used to be Psygnosis is now a subsidary of Sony Computer Entertainment - but this does not mean we cant discuss the topic. I, for one, can see the huge benefits that an Xbox360 version would have.

For one, the game and XBOXlive would have a built-in online leaderboard (XBOXlive silver memberships give free access to these features) - perfect for keeping a record of who is fastest, without having to do any of the posting and proving.

It would also create another opportunity for online play - though this isnt very important as ps3 will have an online service also.

id love to know what you guys think of this - even though its never going to happen.

Lance
28th January 2007, 04:15 PM
I always wanted to see it on a Dreamcast!

BTW, Psygnosis doesn't even exist anymore, not even as a subsidiary. It's just Sony. So there is pretty much zero chance that it would ever be on anything other than a Sony console. There is some hope, of a sort, in that games are so radically expensive to develop now, that a developer almost has to spread the game over all possible platforms to get the money back. But I don't see that happening for Wipeout in the near future.

I'd rather see future Wipeouts on a Wii instead of on a PS3. And failing that, on an Xbox 360.

The Gracer
28th January 2007, 07:33 PM
omgosh id forgotten about Wii!!

sadly, i havent had the opportunity to muck around on a wii. ive seen videos of people fishing on zelda - majorly impressed!

Yes, the development costs are getting higher and higher as we get needier and needier as a market. Personally, my 'ideal' world is where each company can go ahead and produce games for the other consoles without all the legal issues. so unlikely...the developing world has grown too money hungry, constantly looking for ways to sell over the competitors. But thats off-topic.

As for the 'I'd rather see future Wipeouts on a Wii instead of on a PS3', to be brutally honest, i think sony have made too many errors in developing the console and any old titles they hope to revive or continue could be driven into the ground by this. Id hate to see the console die, but fans might not stay loyal if they dont sort it out. Fast. Once again, ive begun sliding off topic. ARGH!

Given a choice between Wii, Playstation 3 and Xbox360, id have to go for the Xbox - its only drawback being a lack of a motion sensitive controller.

If i were Microsoft, id be fixing that. Pronto.

Phew! what a marathon that was.

Zerow
28th January 2007, 08:14 PM
As I have consoles from all three of the major game hardware companies, I haven't got any bias at all.

If a future WipEout was to appear on a console other than a Sony one, I'd rather see it on either the 360 or the DS. I'm honestly not that keen on the Wii and can't see myself buying one anytime soon, even if there was a WipEout game announced for it.

The Gracer
28th January 2007, 08:27 PM
Im assuming you mean Pure on the DS? that could be interesting..
Yay for 360!! :D

andy
28th January 2007, 10:31 PM
I hope it does come out on 360 cos PS3 is way too expensive, graphics dont bother me much and I like a lot of 360 games.

As for the wii, those controls would be a bit fiddly. I think it is more party game orientated. The simple games like wario are fun and easy but I get very muddled up with driving & shooting games - thats why I dont think wipeout would work.

Also, I am currently on my free xbox live gold trial and I am addicted to it. Would love to play it online :).

The Gracer
28th January 2007, 11:45 PM
Nintendo has always been a good platform for those simple, fun games - but it has also had some very, very good titles that are more complex.

The Wii's controls would definitely take getting used to, but i can see in my deep, thoughtful and intelligent ( ;) ) head that it would be a worthwile mastery. The PS3's motion sensitive controller will add (well it better add or i will lose faith in sony, period) a new sense of depth and control to the series. I dont see why this couldnt be achieved with the Wii-mote, essentially the motion sensitivity should be able to do the same thing.

Being addicted to XBOXlive while on a trial period is not a good thing. i suggest you hide your credit card from yourself. ;)

username
30th January 2007, 08:32 AM
some interesting information here! hhm, i would like to see the wipeout on XB360 ADN PS3, (although there is a 99.999% chance that it will only be on PS3). But i really hope that the PS3 will be as big online, as it is with the XB consoles. (imagines about 20 human competators togeather! *drool*).
:rock .
As for the nintendo series - i dislike them... and that nintendo wii - the games look awful imo. there too simple and look like simple web browser flash games! (imo).

andy
30th January 2007, 05:43 PM
Now I've played the wii with my friends and I can tell you its the most fun you'll ever have with a console. :D The game's graphics are stylised not awful. ;) You have to actually play with friends to realise how good it is. It's usually more engaging than pressing buttons and a great laugh. :)

The Gracer
31st January 2007, 07:53 PM
having played the n64's party games with many friends (read: Pokemon Stadium mini games FTW) i understand that the Wii can be great fun to play with friends - if nintendo ever lose that, i think they will fall off the market, the true and hardcore fans would be the only ones that stick around.

im afraid ive just realised something - if a game is designed for ps3 or wii with the motion sensitivity as a main part of the gameplay, there is little chance we will find it on an xbox360 - lack of motion sensitive controllers! :( microsoft need to remedy this!!

Perhaps we could talk Microsoft into purchasing the rights to have the game developed on the console? imagine Sony's faces... :P

SCEE Studio Liverpool needs to turn back into Psygnosis - then this thread will have a better chance of becoming a reality. As an afterthought, we would most likely get CoLD SToRAGE and The Designers Republic back!!

Medusa
31st January 2007, 09:58 PM
"Microsoft into purchasing the rights to have the game developed on the console? imagine Sony's faces... :P"

Let me just say I am not a biased poster here - I love Nintendo for it's entire Mario series, Microsoft for its phenomenal contribution to the PC world, and Sony for its "sophisticated gaming" approach (besides the fact WO started on it;) )

However I really have a problem with one company dominating the entire sector, which I feel is exactly what would happen if every game were available on any console (ie. Wipeout on xbox and ps3) - Microsoft has the technical and monetary ability to completely kill its competitors Nintendo and Sony.
And as everyone knows, if there is no competition, things really start to suck.

Also, can anyone imagine what a "Microsoft PSP" would be like? They would probably have a specific virus to kill your PSP as soon as homebrew was detected.;)

The Gracer
31st January 2007, 10:17 PM
'You may be a victim of sofware counterfeiting - please validate your sofware to recieve updates.' lol. damn microsoft! if i thought your software was worth buying, i would!

hmm...what if Studio Liverpool produced a version for the Xbox360? theres nothing (copyright-wise) to stop them i dont think..other than the risk of it leading people away from the PS - but i think thats unlikely - it could be another way to gain a little more profit!

Would they legally be able to purchase a dev-kit as a development company, without SCEE or Microsoft having hissy-fits?

Microsoft wouldn't buy out and discontinue Sony or Nintendo - it would be a health hazard. imagine all the gamers trying to kill bill gates!!

infoxicated
31st January 2007, 10:24 PM
As Studio Liverpool is a first party Sony Computer Entertainment development studio, there's absolutely no chance that the Xbox 360 is a platform the studio would develop for.

That's the bottom line - it'll never happen. Wipeout is as much a prestige franchise as Gran Tourismo is for Sony - and you're not likely to see that on a Wii or an Xbox near you any time soon.

Lance
1st February 2007, 02:29 PM
Isadora, I don't think you realise what a huge company Sony is; they can slug it out toe to toe with Microsoft any day of the year. Their game division actually lost over 400 million U.S. dollars last year after making a 500+ million dollar profit the year before. The various expenses related to the PS3 release were responsible for much of that loss, but that's probably a short term problem. In their other businesses, they made huge profits; they can weather considerable trouble in the game business if they have to.

Gracer, apart from the fact that tDR ain't that hot no mo, Psygnosis stopped existing a long time ago. Sony bought effective control of it in 1993, and 100 percent ownership by 1998 if I recall correctly, before WO3 was released. Nine years gone and fourteen years under Sony control; it isn't coming back as an independent entity with its original character, no matter what we might like to fantasise. In a sense, it became Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, while losing the Psygnosis character completely.

Even though the independent game developers are being gradually squeezed by economics so that exclusive contracts with a single console manufacturer may not be good enough any more, the console makers have their own development studios [like Sony's Polyphony and Studio Liverpool] who do flagship games for the company. As Rob says, the company games ain't going anywhere. I would not expect that unless a console-making company were in truly dire financial straits across all its businesses, not just in the games business.

The console makers are the ones who really control the games business overall, despite the existence of a bland games-owning corpus like EA.

The Gracer
1st February 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys - thats cleared up a lot of confusion on the topic. i knew that Psygnosis is long gone (although i didnt realise just HOW long gone), but i didnt understand the extent as to which sony had control over them (Studio Liverpool). i always thought they were a development company that had a contractual agreement with sony for production - as i also thought for PD - which meant they got to stick SCEE in front of their name for officialness' sake. Thanks for the little mind jog.

tDR aint that hot no mo? tdr will always be cool imo - or do you mean that in a different way?

on a lighter note, awwww come on guys!! youve taken all the fun out of the topic. i know that the chances of wipeout moving to another console are about as likely as me ever getting as good as Arnaud - i was only trying to bring out what the other consoles could do for the series. :)

Thanks for all the input, though. :) :)

Lance
1st February 2007, 11:46 PM
IIRC, Sony had effective majority interest and control of Psygnosis in 1993, roughly two years before the very first Wipeout was released.

-------

If games are spread over more consoles, that means that in order to keep development time as reasonable as possible, special versions taking full advantage of the features of each console probably won't be developed, so that what we would get would tend to be least-common-denominator versions of the game designed to run on all major consoles.
Just a thought.

The Gracer
2nd February 2007, 04:23 AM
yeah - thats true. as much as id like to have wipeout - or any game for that matter - on [insert your favourite console here], i wouldnt want half-assed versions...we wouldnt want that as a whole.

Lance, you have knowledge far beyond your years :D

Lance
2nd February 2007, 05:19 AM
I'm 63; how far beyond could it be? :)

The Gracer
3rd February 2007, 07:55 PM
that was the joke! :P

infoxicated
4th February 2007, 01:54 PM
I got it! :D

Lion
4th February 2007, 05:20 PM
though it'll never happen, if the next wipeout were announced for the 360 as well, then I would not buy a PS3.
as it sits, the ps3 is not available here yet, but even when it is, I will not be buying it till wipeout comes out for it.
I think the lack of strong launch titles is hurting PS3 sales in a pretty big way.
I think once we see iterations of some of the really big selling series' arrive on PS3, we'll start seeing sales climb in a big way.
For us it's wipeout, but give the system a gran turismo, metal gear solid, killzone, buzz, and singstar. And I think you'd see a sales explosion for the ps3.
Guitar Hero is another series that would have me chomping at the bit, but that's already got an xbox360 version on it's way.

The Gracer
4th February 2007, 07:04 PM
Lion - regardless of whether Wipeout is released, im probably going to have access to a PS3 sooner or later - my stepdad is the biggest fanboy out there and he doesnt even know it. Maybe my mind will change when i see it and play it for myself. until then..

As for the sales, its not just the lack of launch titles but its all the fans Sony lost while they developed the console. They delayed it for a very long time...its not even nearly what they originally said it would be, and its still got creases to be ironed out. IMO, if you delay a console that long to make sure its all going to work, shouldnt it work? I loved the PS2, but i lost faith in the PS3 a long time ago - but if i get my hands on one and its not terrible or buggy, i will change my mind. so far the only opinions ive heard are fanboy opinions.

YAY! Rob cottoned on to my joke :D

djb
6th June 2007, 04:12 PM
As Studio Liverpool is a first party Sony Computer Entertainment development studio, there's absolutely no chance that the Xbox 360 is a platform the studio would develop for.

That's the bottom line - it'll never happen. Wipeout is as much a prestige franchise as Gran Tourismo is for Sony - and you're not likely to see that on a Wii or an Xbox near you any time soon.

how did it get to the N64? id like to see it on the wii just for the inevitable "wiipeout" pun!

rdmx
7th June 2007, 07:07 AM
You could use the W3O announcer. I'm sure she could say 'wiipout'!

Sausehuhn
7th June 2007, 03:36 PM
how did it get to the N64?

The N64, Saturn, Amiga and PC versions were created before WipEout was property of SCEE alone, when it was Psygnosis rather than Studio Liverpool who was developing the games (though the development team was still the same when they changed from Psygnosis to Studio Liverpool - just the heads changed as far as I know).

RingoSpoon
7th June 2007, 11:55 PM
The topic id like to touch on in this thread is whether you guys would like to see WipEout on Xbox360 as well as PS3.

Oh I would definately like to see it on 360 - especially after playing Forza 2 last night :D

I would like to see ...

- multiple downloadable ghosts in Time Attack
- Periodic downloadable content (levels / ships)
- Online global leaderboard
- Ability to customise design of your craft (and upload it of course)

Next gen Wipeout would rock on 360 :)

Chill
12th June 2007, 05:15 AM
Though it would be interesting to see how Wipeout would configure with the control pad of the xbox. Not only that, it would take a lot of time to get used to it... never played 64, that would be interesting to try...

rdmx
12th June 2007, 08:36 AM
Here Chill:
http://files.filefront.com/xbox360WIPEOUTavi/;7760329;;/fileinfo.html

q_dmc12
12th June 2007, 02:37 PM
Is that you Ben?

Hey, how do I upload videos to display like that - all of mine are the download first then use your default player (i.e. Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc.):clap

Asayyeah
12th June 2007, 07:10 PM
It's written 'related video' on the filefrontplayer, not sure it comes from Ben.

After viewing your klies bridge video with Auricom, i envy you to be able to play with that 360controller, surely smoother & better control it is !

CR4SH3D
12th June 2007, 08:46 PM
id like to see a PC version tbh becuase that holds such amazing potential for user tracks and craft etc

i think though the fact its ONLY on sony units kinda allows them to put more time and effort into game play etc as you dont have to worry about simultaneous launches on multiple platforms, and they might even get more time because its such a well known game for sony

rdmx
13th June 2007, 02:37 AM
haha, it's my video. 8)
The 360 control gives much better control compared to how finicky the 64 controller feels!
radium88 is my filefront name, because i use that anywhere else (or radium primarilly, but its normally taken, so i use radium88 since its the 88th element)
EDIT: Tsk, tsk, connect PS1 controller to PC anyone? Dunno if that means neGcon. If it does, I've just played russian roulette with a fully loaded gun >.<
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Venom-USB-PlayStation-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0009J1JAW

q_dmc12
14th June 2007, 05:43 PM
Hmm, I have one of those - I'll dowload an N64 emu and see...:bat

EDIT: Yes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Ae0mCMkHE

Setting up Neggie to work seemlessly on a PC let alone an N64 emu is a 8!7<|-|