PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Playstation Store: WipEout for the PSP

KANDANG
17th January 2007, 06:40 AM
just got this off, Gamasutra http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12422

"While rumors still remain unanswered as to whether the PS3 will see a next-gen Wipeout addition to the series, at least its ancient ancestor will be making a comeback - for the PSP's PSOne emulator. Gamasutra reports that the Wipeout downloadable PSP-playable will slide into the PlayStation Store, along with the equally futuristic, equally racer, equally PSOne Jet Moto. Coming out when? No word on a date, TBA, we guess. Price stands at US$ 5.99 each."

:)
can't wait !

lunar
17th January 2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks Kandang - lovely info, and thanks to Sony for a nice price too. :+ I`vE rEally enjoyEd original WipEout latEly, though I`m still only a Venom pilot and have only worked my way to Terramax, but having it on my PSP would be marvellous.

Now us non-PS3 owners just have to wait for this stuff to become available via PSP/PC download. Would be interested to hear some first impressions if any of our PS3 owners get this.

Mad-Ice
17th January 2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks Kandang

Finally some official news about the PS1 games hitting the PSP. Now we only have to be patient. Waiting .............. Yup this has already taken too long!! Come on, i want to download right now!!!

Asayyeah
17th January 2007, 05:11 PM
thx YS

The more we wait the better it will be but in this case like Matt' said i want it now!!!!

Zerow
17th January 2007, 06:39 PM
Already have an original copy of the original WipEout.

I wanna see WO3: SE! :hyper

JABBERJAW
18th January 2007, 10:21 PM
equally racer? I don't think so. Equals crap is more like it, although it might run better on the psp. How about link mode? doable or not?

KANDANG
10th March 2007, 01:42 AM
it's finally here for d/l
the legit one. on the ps store

source:
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/09/wipeout-ps1-comes-to-psp/
http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSOne-s-Wipeout-now-available-at-PlayStation-Store/pg/49/aid/85551

:hyper

Rapier Racer
10th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Hmm I cannot honestly say I am too excited about this one being released for PSP I shall be waiting for the monster of all PS1 Wipeouts to make its appearance, it may not of course which would be total nonsense :naughty

soci
18th March 2007, 02:36 PM
it's finally here for d/l
the legit one. on the ps store

source:
http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/09/wipeout-ps1-comes-to-psp/
http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSOne-s-Wipeout-now-available-at-PlayStation-Store/pg/49/aid/85551

:hyper
Say... Where exactly is this d/l on ps store? I can't find it anywhere on the us, uk or australian sites...

-------------

In fact, has anyone here d/l this yet?

borell
18th March 2007, 07:51 PM
Say... Where exactly is this d/l on ps store? I can't find it anywhere on the us, uk or australian sites...

As far as I have understood, one can only buy and download it via the PS3. It seems that this might change, though: Sony opens web browser for PlayStation Store (http://pspupdates.qj.net/Sony-opens-web-browser-for-PlayStation-Store/pg/49/aid/86568) [qj.net]

chri5
20th March 2007, 01:22 PM
damn I must have this! But I wont be getting a PS3 for a while so that web store better be opening up to outsiders.

chri5
30th March 2007, 10:21 AM
anyone downloaded this from the store yet?

Rapier Racer
31st March 2007, 08:50 PM
Where is it on the store exactly I can't find it

Zerow
31st March 2007, 09:41 PM
I can't see it either.

It must only be on the US and Japanese versions of the store for now. Us Europeans have to wait... again!

chri5
1st April 2007, 08:31 AM
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Store

Piranha5p33d5
16th June 2007, 05:51 AM
European / Australian Release Date Announced (via Threespeech.com (http://www.threespeech.com)):

The following PS One games are now confirmed for 22/06 on the Store (for PS3 and PSP):

- Crash Bandicoot
- Wipeout
- Medievil
- Jumping Flash
- Syphon Filter

Further announcements are:

- Calling all cars is confirmed for 22/06
- SuperStardust HD for 29/06.
- MotorStorm Time Attack mode: Will go live later today on PlayStation Stores.

Unfortunately, one still needs a PS3 to download the titles onto a Playstation Portable.

RJ O'Connell
20th June 2007, 02:22 PM
Piranha5p33d5: Seriously? LAME.

Besides, I already have the original...although taking it as legally as you can on the go doesn't sound too bad.

chri5
8th July 2007, 03:10 PM
I want this to play on the move so bad! So am I going to have to get this from one of my mates who have a PS3 then?

Piranha5p33d5
8th July 2007, 03:24 PM
Depending on how long you are willing to wait.. yes or no.

Hackers have located a piece of code in the latest PSP Firmware (3.51) that indicates the ability to download and run games from a MemoryStick. It looks like Sony may be gearing up to finally give PSP owners a direct download "Store". The question is... when?

Dogg Thang
8th July 2007, 03:42 PM
Did anyone here get WO1 from the US or JP PS3 stores at all? I'm just curious if the licensed music is intact. I imagine it probably is as the games seem to be running exactly as the original PS1 games did but, if not, it would have knock-on implications for 2097 and W3O.

Chill
9th July 2007, 03:02 AM
If games keep being sold online, who's gonna work for game stores?? What are those people gonna do??

stin
9th July 2007, 06:41 AM
No, they had to work, cos they have too many things to sell.

stevie:)

Piranha5p33d5
9th July 2007, 10:31 AM
If games keep being sold online, who's gonna work for game stores?? What are those people gonna do??

Unfortuantely, it seems that cutting out retailers is an emerging goal in the gaming market. It has both positive and negative implications for the consumer though. As far as I know Dogg Thang, the soundtrack for Wipeout is intact from it's original conversion as Sony have preclusive rights to whatever is contained within the titles themselves.

zargz
9th July 2007, 03:56 PM
WOW! just read this thread!
and I don't even own a psp yet .. :(

Dogg Thang
9th July 2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info, Piranha. That's good. Hopefully 2097 and W3O will be out for PSP soon.

Mad-Ice
24th July 2007, 03:49 PM
How many of you have downloaded it? And the most important question is can you play ad-Hoc?

Piranha5p33d5
25th July 2007, 07:42 AM
No Ad-Hoc im afraid. PSOne Classic titles are pretty much a head to toe emulation of the original code, so there are no new features included.

I hear that W'O"2097 is available for download through the PlayStation Store although I dont own a PS3 so cant confirm this fact myself.

Task
25th July 2007, 03:10 PM
Both WO1 and WOXL have link-up play, so technically the ability is already there in the code. The important difference would be the difference between I-Link and Ad-Hoc. If they could kind of change one for the other, it might work. But rarely can program changes like that be made easily. WOXL for the PC supported LAN play, that would be very similar to Ad-Hoc. I doubt they're converting the PC version of the game though. 8 )

RJ O'Connell
26th July 2007, 02:39 AM
Ah, but we can dream, can't we? Ad-Hoc WO1....ahhh.....

Rapier Racer
28th July 2007, 11:01 PM
I can confirm as far as the EU store goes, 2097 is not available and we should get it before everyone else since it is a UK game and it seems to work like that on PSN, whatever region the content originated from, the store in that region gets it before the other stores around the world

locus2k
3rd August 2007, 01:36 AM
unless your smart and have 3 psn names 1 for each region... na, eu, and jp >.> that way no matter which region gets it first you can always get it... and luckily with the ps3 all their games are not region coded. You can play a game from eu on a na ps3 just not the dvd's.

So yes i will be getting wo 2097 and xl as soon as they are released for psn.

Rapier Racer
7th August 2007, 12:36 PM
Meh I can't be arsed doing that, I've got 2097 sat here on a disc anyway I'm not that desperate to get it on PSP to be honest

JABBERJAW
8th August 2007, 04:04 PM
A good question would be will 2097 be floatier than xl? also, there will probably be no analog support for the game since the analog stick does not emulate the negcon, or is not programmed to do so

Rapier Racer
21st August 2007, 04:46 PM
OK so I downloaded Wipeout from the PSN today damn this game is frustrating hard to believe this is on the one that made it all. Disappointing on PSP I have to say not full screen little crappy box in the middle is all you get if all classic games are going to look like this then I won't be buying anymore of them

Medusa
21st August 2007, 06:42 PM
I still think WipEout should come with a "Warning - near un-playable without NeGcon" sign plastered all over it. How the d-padders manage that game on Rapier is far beyond me. There's no way the original 3 will ever go on my PSP.
It's good to hear first-hand though. Thanks RapierRacer.

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2007, 01:29 AM
Lots and lots of practice Medusa.

And a muscle-memory "start-down-x-left-x" function.

Rapier Racer
24th August 2007, 05:39 AM
I have to take back the last thing I said after hitting the home button and looking inside the settings menu you can in fact select an option to have the game full screen of course it wasn't made with 16.9 in mind so it looks a tad stretched but hey its all good! Some PS games support widescreen if I remember right so hopefully the later ones wont look stretched

zargz
10th December 2007, 01:53 PM
bought wipEout for the psp yesterday. Rerquired a psp to pc cable which I don't have, I've been doing all transferes with a card reader.
so today I went and bought me a cable. Now the f@#¤ sh&# is telling me 'communication with the server failed'!! :bomb

what kind of a ju%& of#s are these id&%¤# at sony??! >_<#

* deep breath * ... ok.

any ideas?

lunar
10th December 2007, 02:01 PM
Not sure what difference it makes, but maybe because you are using Linux? Either that or maybe the server is down temporarily, Sony do seem to have had some issues like that from time to time.

zargz
10th December 2007, 02:10 PM
mmm .. now I'm using windows and I tryed the method someones said around here instead of dl it to the pc just open with the downloader and it starts to dl but I'm getting different kinda errors - 1st cant find the memcard then dl the 91meg and start installing but stops and sowes some error :bomb:bomb:bomb

could it be the cable I bought? the one with the charge function. but I don't use the charge .. :?

must be the cable it loses connection between the psp and pc. will return it damora! :bomb

now it's telling me 'not enough free space in the hard drive'. if 3.5 Gig is not enough then ...

lunar
10th December 2007, 02:35 PM
maybe the PSP firmware? I think you have to be 3.70 or higher for the store. Not sure what happens if you try to use the store with lower FW.

zargz
10th December 2007, 02:42 PM
got 3.71 .. o_o'

Sausehuhn
10th December 2007, 05:04 PM
Most likely it asks for the most recent firmware which is 3.72

Lion
10th December 2007, 05:30 PM
nope, it's 3.73 that's the newest :P
3.73 is needed for remote play with the ps3 now

zargz
10th December 2007, 05:39 PM
installed 3.73

'the mem'stick could not be accessed'

bastards!

stin
10th December 2007, 06:08 PM
Your psp`s cable?, does it come up as a box which contains all the folders on your pc?

If yes?, then it should work with no problems but according to lunar about linux, then is possible.

PS, We will need to talk through MSN about your problems.

stevie:)

Asayyeah
10th December 2007, 11:01 PM
so i don't run out to the street and kill the first person with a sony t-shirt or jacket!!!
Hey Pav ! if you see one guy with a Datel wifiMAx teeshirt or whateverelse written WifiMAx on it : please do a rampage/carnage for me

About your problem : could it be the alimentation of the usb device of your pc , if it's an old one : maybe he can't support it properly?

stin
11th December 2007, 06:41 AM
Asa, we think it`s the cable and he is returning it back and hopefully he will get a better one.

I`d checked his cam, he is doing the right procedural and still says error!:brickwall

He will get there though.

stevie:(

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 04:29 PM
Is the game gone from the PS-Store? Can't see it in the German Store anymore... hm... strange how the choice of downloadable stuff differs from country to country...

Lion
11th December 2007, 05:29 PM
you haven't already bought it?
items you have purchased are no longer shown in the store

zargz
11th December 2007, 06:01 PM
today I returned the cable AND bought Pulse! 8)
the boy working there told me that it's a normal camera to pc cable so no need to buy it if i got a camera!!!
will check if either my bro or my mom got it!
but first - play some Pulse!

:D muahahaaa!

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 09:48 PM
@ Lion

Aaah that makes sense then :)

zargz
11th December 2007, 11:58 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

it turns out I had that cable all along on my card reader! :D

wipEout dl smooth and ez!

now will dl a worms2 and a warhammer40k demos! 8)

Dominator
13th December 2007, 10:23 AM
I registered with with the playstation store for my free download of wipEout on the 24th November . . . three weeks later and I still don't have my voucher code for the download, what the friggin hell are Sony doing to me
:brickwall

phl0w
13th December 2007, 12:16 PM
I registered on Nov 25th and I got my code on the 30th, three weeks is much too long. Did you actually receive a mail with that particular offer? It had the subject "Important Account Information" and promoted the launch of the new PS Store for PC. It was send around Nov 15th and you had to had a registered PSP to receive that mail in the first place.

Dominator
13th December 2007, 07:24 PM
Yes I did recieve the correct offer and now Sony are looking into why I havn't recieved the voucher code. Lets hope they can sort it out!!

Xupu
17th December 2007, 03:09 AM
HOORAY! I got mine yesterday! :beer
Took them awhile though :evil

Piranha5p33d5
17th December 2007, 03:16 AM
Now I wonder... can anyone confirm if this freebie offer was also part of signing up with the Australia Playstation Store?

Dominator
19th December 2007, 11:52 AM
Finally got my copy of Classic wipEout . . . so excited :g
I thought I was really good at it but not having played it for over ten years I have come to the horrible realisation that I utterly suck and can't play for **** :frown:
Time to either hang up the boots or re-acquaint myself with this old classic...

Dogg Thang
21st December 2007, 10:19 AM
That's the realisation I come to every time I load up WO1 - every single time, I have to relearn it from scratch.

As I got a new PSP, I bought this yesterday and I was really impressed with how easy it was. Loading straight into the PSP and, of course, is a great game.

Whatever about WO1 being raw, having horrendous pop-up and being sadistically punishing, the feel of a floating craft is just fantastic. It just works so well. A thing of beauty. Has there been any word on either 2097 or WO3 making it to the store?

Lance
21st December 2007, 04:58 PM
The realistic feeling you get in WO1 of the floating ship just shaking with the impact of rockets against the shields just doesn't seem to have been equalled by later versions.

Dogg Thang
23rd December 2007, 08:01 PM
Yes, there's a lovely sense of something underneath you that's not in the current WO games at all - like when you try to put two magnets together the wrong way. WO feels like you're sitting on top of one of those energy forces. I always love going back to the original for that.

FishDK
9th January 2008, 05:14 PM
Hm - So the picture is not full screen? Has anyone tried making an ISO out of their original and playing it on the PSP? This is for those who have Custom Firmware on their PSP.

Rapier Racer
9th January 2008, 05:47 PM
You can make it full screen you just need to press the Home button then choose settings and screen mode.

NeXaR_QroN
10th January 2008, 04:03 PM
But it would either crop or stretch the image to fit the screen (depending on mode), it wouldn't be the same as a native widescreen mode.

Rapier Racer
10th January 2008, 08:33 PM
Well no there was no such option within the game (I think not at least I didn't see it). It was 1995 after all :p It still looks ok with a little stretching on the PSP

Triple Lei
24th January 2008, 05:35 PM
Hm - So the picture is not full screen? Has anyone tried making an ISO out of their original and playing it on the PSP? This is for those who have Custom Firmware on their PSP.

I was able to rip my game and put it on my PSP, but it's still worth purchasing again. Not just because it's the official version (the official icon & background actually look extremely ugly and there's even a typo...), but because there's a HUGE reduction in size.

My rip: 437 MB
PSN store: 74 MB

The good news is that it was able to read my save from my ripped game, so I was able to hop right in to Rapier! :)

I'll put up pics if anyone wants to see...

Piranha5p33d5
24th January 2008, 11:32 PM
Id love to see some comparison pics Lei! :lol

Medusa
25th January 2008, 02:41 AM
I believe you may get banned for discussing ripped ISOs...but at least you did purchase the official one.

Triple Lei
25th January 2008, 02:42 AM
In that case...

Left = custom rip
Right = official PSN version

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/33/wipeoutpsncomparisonqd4.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wipeoutpsncomparisonqd4.jpg)

I believe you may get banned for discussing ripped ISOs...but at least you did purchase the official one.

It's from my own copy of the game that I've had since 1995, and I didn't mention how to do it or where to go to learn how to do it...

Animagic
13th February 2008, 12:57 AM
bought it off of the PSN and it runs great on my PSP...

speaking of which, I really like the echoing sounds and music when you are in tunnels...
I'd like to see that make a return to newer versions of Wipeout somehow.

I am still pretty good at it until I get to silverstream... arrggh...
I can't even get to firestar anymore I just know it's going to pwn me :(

Piranha5p33d5
15th February 2008, 01:04 AM
In that case...

Left = custom rip
Right = official PSN version

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/33/wipeoutpsncomparisonqd4.th.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wipeoutpsncomparisonqd4.jpg)

It's from my own copy of the game that I've had since 1995, and I didn't mention how to do it or where to go to learn how to do it...

"white knucle" ? Ugh! How's quality control over at Sony these days?

Could you post some screenshots of the game in action as comparison?

Dogg Thang
15th February 2008, 08:51 AM
What I don't understand is how they got the game, including all the music, in that white knucle ride down to 74MB.

borell
15th February 2008, 10:27 AM
Most of the space on the game disc is taken up by the music tracks. The game itself does not consist of too much data. So, it is enough to compress the audio tracks to get a fairly small sized version of the game.

Also, keep in mind that the data size of Pulse on the umd is only about 400-450 MB.

Medusa
7th June 2011, 04:06 PM
OOooohhh I'm so late to the party as usual, but I finally downloaded the PSN version of WO1 last night. I thought I'd give the Championship on venom a quick runthrough before bed...LOL!!!

The realistic feeling you get in WO1 of the floating ship just shaking with the impact of rockets against the shields just doesn't seem to have been equalled by later versions. (Lance's quote)

I was grinning like Kermit or Crazy Frog, what an awesome game!! Somehow I managed to make it to Silverstream using the dpad (I couldn't play it on PS1 with the dpad), then promptly forgot the LRL directions! Ultimately, Silverstream kicked my butt back to the menu screen. Superb!!!! Now that requires piloting! I don't think I'll see anybody talk about driving in that game!

It's been a really long time since I played the original...:sheepish Had to share.

Flint Fandango
1st September 2011, 04:27 PM
@Medusa: Lol, you thought you were late to the party...:D

I downloaded the game yesterday...and I think it´s totally awesome! :guitar

After getting frustrated with PurE/Pulse, this is the real thing - an adequate compensation!
I can´t believe it, it´s fun to turn on my PSP again. :+