PDA

View Full Version : Wow, it really is that much better...

Task
30th May 2002, 04:19 AM
So a little while back zargz sent me WO3:SE.
I ordered my mod chip, it appeared in the mail, I installed it, everything worked first try (more or less, I had to put the screws in while it was on and working to get it to continue working for some reason. Strange!), and I've been playing it.
At first, I didn't think that SE would be such a big deal, it looked like WO3 all over again.
But the larger (and non-tDR) font was a good change, and I've never had anything bad to say about extra tracks, and having a link option in the menu must mean that they fixed it, so I could definitely see how it was a big improvement. Still, I figured the single-player game would be all the same. Then I noticed that the extra tracks effectively DOUBLED the game. 8 normal tracks, 8 extra tracks. Which means a whole other set of challenges, too. And, of course, you can play the tournament on the other tracks too. And then I noticed that the handling was different, sharper, "floatier"... Better! And then I noticed how much nicer it was to go through the races with the "next race" option at race end. I went right through vector in no time, with none of that annoying "selection process" inbetween races. Then I figured out what those little red "p"s were next to my times... Perfect Lap! Wow! What a nice little feature! The Auto-Load made me wish for an Auto-Save as well, but I found it to be a wonderful addition all on its own.
Each of the improvements on their own isn't much, but taken as a whole... It's almost a brand-new game! The overall feel is better somehow.
No wonder y'all have so many good things to say about SE!
Well, it took me all night, but I completed vector. Tommorrow I'll see if I can get some times up... 8 D

infoxicated
30th May 2002, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the past future :)

For me, Wipeout 3 SE is one of the most complete and polished games ever made. The only bummer for me is that you cant view your replay more than once... or save it for that matter.

If only they'd known back when they were making this, that Fusion would be delayed another two years, almost, then we might have gotten all of the previous tracks as was originally intended.

I think for a game that they knew was not going to make much, it's a great tribute to the series by the now departed team at Studio Leeds. :)

Lance
30th May 2002, 02:22 PM
studio Leeds. [sniffles]. i love those guys. and i haven't even experienced SE. they just did the right things. adios, Leeds. [breaks down completely]

lunar
9th October 2002, 01:54 AM
Yes, it really is great. And if you play it in the PS2, with the "texture mapping" option on, the graphics are in some ways better than Fusion. And with the "disc speed" on fast the loading times are refreshingly non-existent. The downside of this is you can`t make a cup of tea, visit the toilet or go to the shops while you`re waiting for the race to start.

And who needs Novon when you can swoop down out of the narrow straight on Stanza Inter? Its poetry. The AGS seems a better ship than in Wip3out, which is nice, even if the Piranha seems not so good as it was. The main thing is I`d forgotten how great it is to actually fly an Anti-Grav racer. Think I might have to post some times (don`t lose any sleep over this, Zoolander),

Lance
9th October 2002, 04:56 AM
lunar, please do post some times in the tables; we can always use more active competition on them. while it's true that there hasn't been much in the way of formal challenges lately, it's always good to have pilots working to improve their times. i know i need to work on... well... all of them. besides, we want to show the Fusion fans and the game companies what kind of sustained dedication and excitement truly great games like the first three wipEouts can inspire. right?

lunar
10th October 2002, 12:40 AM
will do so, Lance. But its going to take a while on SE to get my modest Wip3out skills back again, and I also have zone rankings to defend sometime. Life is too short. I lost my game save for Wip3out when I sold my PS1 so don`t know my times, but they certainly weren`t great. I can remember a long while ago thinking I was pretty near the ultimate lap time on Manor Top, then finding this site in January and seeing the times and thinking :o :oops:

Lance
10th October 2002, 01:43 AM
:D
yeah, i was totally stunned when i first saw the times tables here!
imPOSSible!!!
but no, they were for real
little did i know at the time that i would eventually squeak into the top ten lists. gotta have faith in your ability to rise to the top. okay, so at Manor Top, there are a couple of guys who might make that difficult, but...
;)

Vasudeva
12th October 2002, 09:51 AM
Yeah, competition is extremely hard here ;). The more pilots in the tables, the more I seem to be at the end of the top ten or just outside of it. On some tracks however I still appear to be unbeaten in the #1 spot although Zargz has been continually making attempts (mostly successful :() at beating my times... It's been a long time since I have tried to improve them. Perhaps I should give it another go and try to defeat the terrible Zoolander himself! :D

V.

Lance
12th October 2002, 05:58 PM
ah yes, the Fearsome Zoolander. believe it or not, i am actually second to him in one race, although so far behind that i heard of him only by reputation, and the still amazed expressions on the faces of those who had seen the speed streaks of his racecraft when he passed through 3 days before i arrived. i am only at the amazing heights of secondness because the moderately less fearsome Taskmaster and Wise Man and the dreaded Zero Fox have lain idle for lo these many months. should they become again active, i shall no doubt yet again be relegated to position 5 or worse. heartless competitors! heartless, i say. though one must respect their skills.
shhhhhhh. please do not mention this in public, then perhaps i shall be able to revel in my best Phantom spot for yet awhile.

JABBERJAW
13th October 2002, 12:57 AM
I think I'll get back to the tables by early next year. I actually have times for 6 of the 3se tables I haven't posted yet(lazy). I wanted to finish all the tracks, but arridos(i think) is quite difficult to do perfect laps on continuously. one or two others on 3se are also difficult to do this. the terrible zoolander huh? :D I'm busy playing quantum redshift at the moment, beat the game(over 40 hours!!) trying out some race records now, but it may take a while. I beat xg3 with the starcom secret ship using cheats the other day(I had already beaten it with another bike :D ). get this, it is no different between the other bikes. All the bikes in the game have the EXACT same stats, they are just different colors. I like the game, but this is pure lazyness. The bikes also look quite lame compared to the old versions of the game. I'm still thinking about trying out the slower speeds, but may not want to get beat!! :o

Angryman
12th January 2003, 02:45 PM
wipeout s.e is fantastic, best wipeout ever.
..and as mentioned when you turn on that texture smoothing option on the ps2, it's a a bloody brilliant looking game and if you have your ps2 connected via Component.. OMG!!! sweeetest looking game ever, i always thought that wo3 had a dull look, but thru component, the colours are vibrant, it looks sharp, clean.. and indeed, probably better than Fusions graphics in some ways.
GREAT, GREAT game... every wipeout fan should get s.e.
once i finishe single race mode, i willl check out the top times and see if i can compete with them. :D

jmoid
14th January 2003, 10:32 AM
I think I'll get back to the tables by early next year. I actually have times for 6 of the 3se tables I haven't posted yet(lazy).
gah! thre goes my hold on the phantom class se classic tables :roll:

Hybrid Divide
15th January 2003, 01:07 AM
Man... I still need a copy of that from someone.

And yeah, a legal, paid for copy. :wink:

Wip3out is too big a part of my life to cheap out like that.

You guys wouldn't know of any places in Seattle, or the US for that matter that would have one do you?

zargz
18th January 2003, 04:34 AM
Then I noticed that the extra tracks effectively DOUBLED the game. 8 normal tracks, 8 extra tracks. Which means a whole other set of challenges, too.

dont 4get the 4 prototypes from wo3 and THEN the 2 OVALS from the jap version!!! :o :o
perhaps u didnt unlock them yet! 8)

vh5150
27th January 2003, 06:43 AM
dont 4get the 4 prototypes from wo3 and THEN the 2 OVALS from the jap version!!! :o :o
perhaps u didnt unlock them yet! 8)

What two ovals from the jap version? And what jap version are you talking about? I have all psx versions BTW.

zargz
14th February 2003, 02:16 AM
in the jap version of wo3 they added 2 ovals ( I love nascar btw hihi!) dunno y may b coz they got it last!
the cool thing about them is the grafix r just as the normal trax' but if u race from the inside wiew
the kockpit is cartoonish just like the first 4 prototypes and the sorooundins r like the 'real' trax!
htey r called btw LS105 and 106 8)

aah! ALL the ships look icarish and they got yhe same stats - evrything is on 3 Xept the speed that is TEN!!! :o :o :o

aint that about a bit** ? :wink:

faB
3rd June 2004, 10:41 PM
Hmm, I have an english version that I think I bought in UK, the game is english, the manual is english, it's got 'playstation-europe' written on the back, and it's got LS105/qp02 oval track with speed 10 on all ships. This is the 3rd prototype I have unlocked and I am puzzled not to find it in the record tables.

/me continues earching the forum for clues . . .

yuusen
5th June 2004, 03:17 PM

sigh... w3se

¥

Dragonforce-Europe
29th September 2004, 07:58 PM
Yes, it really is great. And if you play it in the PS2, with the "texture mapping" option on, the graphics are in some ways better than Fusion. And with the "disc speed" on fast the loading times are refreshingly non-existent. The downside of this is you can`t make a cup of tea, visit the toilet or go to the shops while you`re waiting for the race to start.

And who needs Novon when you can swoop down out of the narrow straight on Stanza Inter? Its poetry. The AGS seems a better ship than in Wip3out, which is nice, even if the Piranha seems not so good as it was. The main thing is I`d forgotten how great it is to actually fly an Anti-Grav racer. Think I might have to post some times (don`t lose any sleep over this, Zoolander),

am i missing something here? Texture mapping on? Disc speed change? I Trow in WIP3OUT SE into teh ps2 and i can turn these options on? How?

Rapier Racer
29th September 2004, 10:44 PM
Okay so I tried this texture mapping and disk speed thing set it too texture mapping - smooth and disk speed - fast, I found no noticeable improvement in graphics quality but instead I could see 2 faint but still highly visible dark thick lines coming off the wing tips (correct name?) instead of the thin white trail you normally get at higher speeds, except these lines were there at low speed too, did I change the correct settings? Version – Playstation driver – options

Dimension
30th September 2004, 02:51 AM
where abouts are these settings? In that screen you get with no disc in the drive? 8O

infoxicated
30th September 2004, 07:32 AM
Use the eject button to turn the PS2 on, and place the disk in the tray. Don't close it.

Press triagle twice - it'll bring up PS1 emulator options, and from there you can choose faster disk access and texture smoothing.

Then press the eject button to close the disk tray.

Use the "browser" option to view the disk and any memory cards you have plugged in.

Choose the disk to start the game loading.

Pressing the reset button at any time will reset the PS1 emulator options also.

Vyper
30th September 2004, 01:12 PM
Where do I find Wip3out SE?

vh5150
1st October 2004, 09:54 PM
am i missing something here? Texture mapping on? Disc speed change? I Trow in WIP3OUT SE into teh ps2 and i can turn these options on? How?

Okay so I tried this texture mapping and disk speed thing set it too texture mapping - smooth and disk speed - fast, I found no noticeable improvement in graphics quality but instead I could see 2 faint but still highly visible dark thick lines coming off the wing tips (correct name?) instead of the thin white trail you normally get at higher speeds, except these lines were there at low speed too, did I change the correct settings? Version – Playstation driver – options

where abouts are these settings? In that screen you get with no disc in the drive? 8O

Fun With Backwards Compatibility
A complete guide to playing PlayStation games in PS2, including the improvements you can access. (Great guide on how to use the disc speed and texture mapping settings in the PS2 console) (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/086/086991p1.html)

Where do I find Wip3out SE?

www.ebay.co.uk
www.ebay.com
www.ebay.de