PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout 64 emulated on PC

Brother Laz
19th December 2006, 05:28 PM
Okay, this is already buried in a thread somewhere, but with the new WO64 timetables starting, this could be useful.

1/ Download Project64 here (http://www.pj64.net/main/index.php) (at this moment, the latest version is 1.6).
2/ Get the ROM somewhere, I suggest Emulanium; downloading ROMs is legal if you have the original game (ebay, etc.).
3/ Project64 can run the ROM using the default plugins and it'll work (YMMV), but you'll probably first need to change your keys in Input Plugin settings and crank up the resolution in Video Plugin settings.
4/ Use Open ROM to load the WO64 ROM. It should work fine now. To switch to full-screen mode, press Esc.
5/ There is one problem. The sky on most tracks looks like a small textured box with blackness around it, and popup is terrible. To fix this, go to Video Plugin settings, and turn on 'Use Direct3D Transformation Pipeline' (Advanced options; you'll need to check that box first to see them). The catch is that Jabo's plugin tends to forget this checkmark, so you'll have to set it each time you play the game, after you start the game, and I believe you have to click Apply first before you click Ok.
6/ If it doesn't run well with the default (Jabo's) plugin, you can try Rice's video plugin, but actually none of the plugins I tried worked properly except the default one.

The game may run slow in windowed mode (depends on computer speed, etc.) but going to full-screen mode should help a lot.

Do try to compare the in-game clock with a real clock; if it runs too fast, using the Limit FPS option in the emulator fixes that, but if it runs too slowly, you may have to turn down the resolution to speed up the game or else you're technically cheating...

One more thing. Some people have reported a freeze on the Time Trial Challenge screen after completing their first challenge. If you are among the unfortunates, you can easily prevent this by simply completing all of the TTCs in one session!...

See this YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8acdTVzn8), made by some random guy with Project 64 (who didn't know about the solution to 5/, hence the pop-up and black box), who manages to crash his Feisar on Venom class...

rdmx
20th December 2006, 01:45 AM
Hahaha. That random guy would be me.;)

Unfortunately, infox has stopped us from using emus for the record tables.

JABBERJAW
20th December 2006, 04:51 AM
HA, were you using a keyboard? looked really hard to play like that, though the game looked decent

rdmx
20th December 2006, 09:16 AM
Yep... lol.

I don't have a decent gamepad to use with it (one with analog anyway).
Thats why the 'random' guy i.e. me crashed on venom with a feisar.

infoxicated
20th December 2006, 10:33 AM
Class! :D

rdmx
21st December 2006, 01:22 AM
Ben tries again:

Kiles Bridge Feisar Rapier - this time I get a respectable 3rd :rock .
I really like the music: what do you think about this sort of music for WipEout?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVp0GfrAUj8

infoxicated
21st December 2006, 12:27 PM
Cool :)

I like the music, actually... sounds a bit like a cross between Clubbed to Death by Rob D from The Matrix, and Technologicque Park by Orbital from the XXX soundtrack. :+

Zerow
21st December 2006, 08:31 PM
Aye, sounds pretty good while playing WipEout. =)

Ah, and I'm glad this video shows the race fully rather than cutting off mid-way. :+

rdmx
22nd December 2006, 12:45 AM
The reason it cut off midway was becuase I recorded it at 60fps. My video editing program threw a fit and would only go up to halfway. THis time I recorded at 25fps and it worked wonders.:+

Brother Laz
27th December 2006, 01:33 AM
My keys are:

Thrust - Ctrl
Airbrakes - W and X (depends on keyboard layout - the two keys above Alt)
Fire - Alt
Steering, pitch - arrow keys

Works fine :)

qirex-rd
27th December 2006, 01:34 PM
The stop-and-go like animation when you are controlling your
ship right and left looks "keyboard-suspicious".

auri
10th January 2007, 02:17 PM
It works!
I firstly had many problems.
I ran it with pj64 and the [E] rom. I have the original game at home by the way but no n64, nonsense.. but as a fan :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't use the [E] version, you cannot play challenges anymore when you completed one. Then I had problems with it always crashing after 10 minutes. Was playable in between but crashing often. That was because I have a double core processor and it doesn't run well on that so I just set the affinity to only CPU0 and it works now. If you have the same problem, you can ask me or get it yourself, a programm called SetAffinity solves the problem so you don't have to set it anymore everytime you start WO64.

Ok and now I just have the normal bug that time trial challenges are not playable twice. I just played through all challenges of the first 3 modes but I actually want all medals to be gold so I will take time one day and play ttc until I get everything gold :D

I think I play the game a bit too fast, the music is slightly accelerated but ok, I got used to it, phantom is just the horror now!
The movies there are cool, I want to make a movie too. How to? :)

rdmx
10th January 2007, 10:49 PM
Hmm... lemme see if setting affinity stops it from crashing everytime.
I got a 360 gamepad for use with PJ64 - I'll see how that compares with my older times.
Kiles Bridge Phantom :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVOM4qjDxuQ

Due to lack of sound, I spliced in a lot of sound effects for good measure :D

auri
11th January 2007, 12:13 PM
Ah, you have the crashing problem all the time? :)

Youtube still has the downtime, I have to wait.

By the way of talking about emulation of the game.. do you know how I can get the sound effects out of wo64? I found one from wip3out yesterday or so but it's not what I want. So do you know where I can find them or how to properly rip them without having extra sound in the background?

PS: I watched the video now, it's cool but quite senseless huh? :D
I like "our" wo64 announcer much more than the halfly asian voice of wipeout.
And why do these youtube videos always have to be in such horrible quality?
:)

Zerow
11th January 2007, 07:19 PM
Hehehe, interesting mix of sound effects from many of the games. :g

Brother Laz
12th January 2007, 06:05 PM
Aaaand the sky is still not right! :D

By the way, if you consider the keyboard too twitchy, don't use a Feisar. ;)

As for the challenges bug - it only happens with time trial and (annoyingly) super combo challenges, the other two types are fine. Hint: use save states liberally. ;)

Then again, I recently beat all three basic challenge types in ~1.5 hours, so even if you do crash, it's not a problem to get back to where you were (the only slightly difficult one was the last time trial challenge... stupid Qirex ;) ).

auri
12th January 2007, 08:34 PM
Ah by the way, I posted this in the wipeout fusion section, wha, how come...: http://q3mm.de/auri/archive/videos/tests/auri_wipeout64.avi
I recorded it with pj64 and fraps, works very well! Sound is noisy but that won't change, it's a pj64 issue. I posted it there because I already posted in 5 different threads in 3 days and lost the overview :cowboy

The sky thing? You mean black corners of the skybox and so on? I fixed that. After the game has started, go to the video plugin options, uncheck "hide advanced settings" if it is. If it was, reopen the dialog, then go to the next register called "advanced", check "use 3d transformation pipeline". Then it works. Pj64 forgets to save that thing so you have to do it everytime you started wo64 again but that is a small effort for better popup and sky :+

Hm, 1.5 hours.. as you see in the short movie I am not such a good driver or maybe it is the controller, I cannot steer well. I want to go for every gold medal in the game when I get my n64 and there won't be bugs.

Sorry for writing so much again. John :cowboy

rdmx
13th January 2007, 06:11 AM
Cbf doing that everytime Laz!

Oh, I got a gamepad now, so it should look much smoother now (the motion).

By the way, I don't know what is wrong with fraps, it slows down the video but leaves audio same so it is out of sync. :( That's why I have to replace audio every time.

auri
13th January 2007, 01:40 PM
I cannot record audio with fraps, I did it in pj64 :banzai