PDA

View Full Version : Korodera challange - comments!

zargz
10th February 2002, 02:02 PM
comment about records and the challange here!

zargz
10th February 2002, 02:19 PM
dominic & xeik :
could u repost u times fr the old board to this 'times only' thread so I can edit my post 2include only my times thanx!

vincoof
11th February 2002, 09:00 AM
This game is ex-cel-lent !

The 'float' feeling is way better than in Fusion.

Hopelessly, I haven't raced wo1 for a long time.

If I has to enter my "true" records (eg recors NOT made in one weekend) I'd post at least 10secs better for each time !

zargz
11th February 2002, 01:51 PM
I agree - only 4the folat but there is no turbo button &cutting the corners or 'jumping' is impossible!
and not a lot of unnesesary weapons like reflector, cloak, quake(is pretty ok but a bit 'unreal'? should b better as a kind of a blue, or whatever color, sweeping the track instead of making 'the wave' anyway..) energi wall and so on - just the basics = GREAT! what I would add 2this game is the pitlane/able 2destroy opponents and the 1timekill wapon but with the hitting rate/difficulti from the wo2097 then it should b the perfect wo! and'fcource the track design is the best ever in the series!

back 2topic!

-10 sec!! :razz:

btw now I'm back in thailand but without any psx(left it in sweden 2my kidbro) so I'll have 2go 2the psx-gamehalls they got here with my wo1 disk and mem'rycard and actually PAY(not so much thou) 2beat u times guys!! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-11 14:58 ]</font>

zargz
11th February 2002, 02:15 PM
vincoof: now I c what u mean - 10 sec better than the times YOU posted! :smile:

xEik: what did u do? did u paste MY times there, hombre? or perhaps u just happened 2make Xactly the same times as me? :grin:

xEik
11th February 2002, 08:41 PM
Copy & Paste error detected...
Data regeneration started...
Corrupt file erased...
Input correct data...

vincoof
12th February 2002, 05:09 AM
10secs - of course I was talking about my timez :razz:

Hopefully, if I practice much (guess where practice leads) I'll b able 2 do @ least as good as ol'timez

Lance
12th February 2002, 05:18 AM
zargz/ramirez, that is true dedication; if i were wearing a hat, i would take it off in salute to you.

zargz
12th February 2002, 02:49 PM
if u mean the 'pay' thing I guess I'l have 2use it 2beat dominics rapier times!

BenjaminSoulé
13th February 2002, 07:30 AM
Is "collision boost" with other ship is allowed in this challenge ?
I also use the bug that allow you to draw many weapon from a single slot on the track.

I dont know what is considered as fair or unfait on Wipeout 1.

What team do you use ? (me is AG system)
I dont remember : are the pilots for a same team equal ?

xEik
13th February 2002, 09:46 AM
Daniel Chang is my pilot. AG-5Y5 has always been my fav in every version. I think I don't choose Dekka because of his picures at the end of the race.

zargz
13th February 2002, 11:12 AM
benjamin: both r ok.

daniel chang. I use him coz on another palce EVERYBODY used dekka so ..

as far as I c they r equal.

vincoof
13th February 2002, 09:50 PM
I use Daniel Chang for venom, and Sofia De La Rente for rapier.

If you ask me why I choose Daniel Chang instead of John Dekka for AG-Systems, then I just answer that Daniel Chang is the pilot we play in the first demo of wo1 :smile:

BenjaminSoulé
13th February 2002, 10:48 PM
Feisar is too slow in WO1, isnt it ?
I tried to use Qirex and Auricom on venom but I cant manage to make better time than AGsystem.
I was blaming Fusion for bad team balancing but WipeOut one dosn't seem to be as equal as I remembered...
:smile:

( Look at my times now, I will beat you soon dom :razz: )

vincoof
14th February 2002, 08:35 PM
Feisar is slow, but when I finished venom, I played so many with AG-Systems that I just looked for a ship that had similar handling in Rapier. Feisar went to be the best candidat, and I kept using it later.
And Feisar is not that slow in this version.

Piranha Advancements
15th February 2002, 07:42 PM
Sounds fun...(anything WO1 is) .Gotta load it back up now.

zargz
16th February 2002, 11:51 AM
vincoof: AGsys is 4 wo1 what icaras is 4 wo3/se - the craft 2make the records with ..

yoall: didnt want2overcrowd the 'only times' thread so I post the details 4my new times here:

TT rapier AGsys

lap1 -- 1:02.8
lap1 -- 1:01.3
lap1 -- 1:03.8

race -- 3.07.9
best lap -- 1:01.3

SR rapier AGsys

lap1 -- 1:03.7
lap2 -- 1:01.8
lap3 -- 1:02.5

race -- 3.08.0
best lap -- 1:01.8

payed for 3hrs :smile: the last 30min I spent relaxing @terramax :grin:

dominic: only 0.1sec in sr!!
I'll get u! :evil:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-16 13:07 ]</font>

zargz
16th February 2002, 12:11 PM
benjamin: when u edit u post @the end of the white box where u write u'll c all the times u've edited u message. looks like this

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-12 13:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-14 13:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-16 13:03 ]</font>

just delete them and we only c the last 1 :smile:

BenjaminSoulé
16th February 2002, 05:23 PM
ok it's done. :smile:

For AGsystem I'm not agree with you. The Icaras equivalence in WO1 is Qirex.
My time trial records are done with Qirex (Best Lap 1:00.8 )
In Wip3out Icaras is far too fast ( and its thrust power isnt as low as in the stats )
just a progression system bad result :sad:

Team of WipeOut one are very well balanced. I think there's no "making records team"

zargz
17th February 2002, 02:02 PM
wow! I thought the menace was coming from dominic but suddenly a new challanger has arised!!

about the qirex = icaras perhaps u r right coz it's both faster & have slower turning but most of the records wherever u look @ r done with AGsys.

u tt times r done with Qirex. (Best Lap 1:00.8 - how am i supossed 2beat that!!?? :eek:) how about the sr times AGsys?

I dont like either the icaras beeng 2superior in wo3/se and pranha in 2097. wo1 DO HAVE the best balanced grid in the series(about fusion I dunno yet).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ramirez on 2002-02-17 15:15 ]</font>

zargz
17th February 2002, 02:26 PM
new sr rapier details

lap1 -- 1:04.2
lap2 -- 1:02.0
lap3 -- 1:01.4

race -- 3:07.6 .. best lap -- 1:01.4 (lap3)

on sr venom I got 3:48.9 but stil can't beat my 'old' time 3:48.4 .. Grrrrr!

BenjaminSoulé
17th February 2002, 06:33 PM
My Rapier SR time are done with AG System.
I try to improve it with Qirex this afternoon but it was too difficult because Qirex isn't a good ship to handle unexpected events so I prefer use it in TT only now.

Tomorrow I will try Auricom to beat your 3:07.6 (-0:00.1 !! :mad:)

I will play venom again when I'll reach your rapier time.

Where's Dominic is he still in ?

zargz
18th February 2002, 09:34 AM
benjamin: 'Tomorrow I will try Auricom to beat your 3:07.6 (-0:00.1 !! :mad: ) '

dominic didnt update his times on this board so I dont no if he's stil in ..

dominic: r u?

zargz
18th February 2002, 09:42 AM
gee task, that's grat times!
pleez follow the form - tt first sr after that. u got me confused there 4a moment! :smile: not that it mattered - u beat me on both! :wink: but I'll b back and 'fcource I'll try 2take the rapier tt back! Grrr!

Lance
18th February 2002, 12:35 PM
i usually play john dekka cos i like the colour pattern of his ship the best.

dammit, i wish i could take part in this challenge, but i only have the computer version of the game, not the PSX one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-18 13:39 ]</font>

Dom
19th February 2002, 12:20 AM
Hi there, sorry I didn't update my times. I haven't been looking that much at the boards recently.

Also, I haven't been playing WO1 much either as I've been trying to better my times at Sampa Run (Hate that track!!) without much success.

Will play a bit of WO1 tomorrow and try to get better Ramirez's times.

Task
19th February 2002, 02:03 AM
8 ) I figured it would only be a day between my adding in of my Rapier times, didn't think anyone would notice my addition. Now that I've got times for all categories, I've got them in the "standard" ordering.
As to the discussion topic, I find that WO1 is easily the most balanced as far as craft go. Qirex is the fastest, and probably the "record making machine", but it's pretty tough to haul that thing around a track! My Silverstream records are made with the slow-as-ass FEISAR (2:18.3 SR) and there's no way I could beat that time with an AG-Sys (yes, I've tried). Being able to stay off the walls is just so much more important than top speed that each craft has a track.
Of course, if I ever become the Qirex master that I want to be... 8 D

zargz
19th February 2002, 01:28 PM
lance: buy one!

dom: would u repost u times in the 'only times' thread?

task: :grin:
only times in the 'only times' thread pleez! :razz:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-02-19 14:33 ]</font>

Dom
19th February 2002, 07:01 PM
No worries re. posting times, some worries about playing Wipeout tonight as I've wasted valuable playing time by going for a few beers after work and still have a load of work to do!!! Hopefully I can get that done and then fly for a while!!!

There, sorted!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-02-19 20:22 ]</font>

Lance
20th February 2002, 12:01 AM
[quote]
On 2002-02-19 14:28, zargz wrote:
lance: buy one![quote]

easier said than done when i have zero income! :smile:

Dom
20th February 2002, 12:32 AM
Damn, it's 01:30 & I've only just finished my work!!!!!

Will have to play tomorrow.

Task
21st February 2002, 04:09 AM
I'm supposed to wait to be beaten before I improve my times? Oh, well, I guess you won't like my newest update very much either. 8 D
My Rapier times are all less than 3 minutes now, I'm finally managing to haul that AG Sys around the track without hitting things. The jump and the uphill right after are just _nasty_ for that, there's so many places to bottom out!
For some reason, I'm finding the "hard left to a double boost on the outside" section of the track the toughest. My right turn leading into that puts me on the wrong side, and I put too much effort into trying to get the double boost and not enough into keeping off the damn wall... 8 P
I tried to beat my Venom times with an Auricom... And it only served to remind me why I hate the Auricom so much! It's hardly faster than AG Sys, and it corners only slightly better than the Qirex! Any track I can fly with the Auricom, I can fly better with the Qirex! Geeze...
/rant
So the upshot of my experiments is that I think I might try my hand at tackling Venom with the Qirex... It's gonna take some work... 8 )

zargz
21st February 2002, 12:53 PM
task:

' I'm supposed to wait to be beaten before I improve my times? '
that's what i usually do but now I dont even have the time 2take my breath b4 I gotto fight again! :mad:

' The jump and the uphill right after are just _nasty_ for that, there's so many places to bottom out! '

u mean the uphill left? there's a little right b4 a left in the begining of the uphill and the 2nd left @the top.

' I tried to beat my Venom times with an Auricom... And it only served to remind me why I hate the Auricom so much! '

yeah! I was just about 2ask u what u think is better with auricom than AGsys. 4me - nothing!

' So the upshot of my experiments is that I think I might try my hand at tackling Venom with the Qirex... It's gonna take some work... 8 ) '

hope u get stuck there so I have time to catch up in rapier!! :grin:

anastasia: hey u r great! u beat both xeik & vincoof in rapier. vincoof with about 20 sec!!! wow! :eek:

zargz
21st February 2002, 01:02 PM
'easier said than done when i have zero income!'

u r right lance - we r in the same boat! :cry:

BenjaminSoulé
21st February 2002, 06:02 PM
Task time are very great !!!
I wish I could play here... I`ll be back in one week. Please dont close the challenge.
(Zargz I will not be able to check mails here)

Task : Are you looking the time just before the big jump ?
I would like to know the better time you can achieve at this point with AG coz it`s surely in the first part that Qirex loose too much time. Maybe my Qirex training would be a waste of time for this track.

Wiseman
22nd February 2002, 04:43 AM
Well, I finally got a chance to play some Wipeout today, since I was over at my sister's house (needed thier PSX to change my memory card slot over where the Wipeout savegame was at, didn't feel like getting Rapier class all over again, and I can't change slots on my PS2 [but it will read whatever slot it's currently on though])

I only had about 2 hours to play, so just as my times were coming back I had to quit (grrrr...), but now I can race at home, so I'll get some better times tomorrow.

Man, I really hate those CPU "road cones" (errrrm, that's opponents), they won't get out of my f#$king way! :mad:

Rapier - SR

Lap1 - 1:06.0
Lap2 - 0:57.3
Lap3 - 0:56.9

Total - 3:00.3

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr!!!!!

I need an incinerator so I can burn their sorry road cone @$$3$ away..... then I can beat Jay's time..... :reddevil

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-02-22 05:46 ]</font>

Task
22nd February 2002, 05:50 AM
Hey look! It's the Dark Wiseman (my old Rapier nemesis!) and he's coming to get me! Excellent! 8 )
Nice times, man.

Yeah, I was trying the Qirex a little today, and I just can't pull off the same _quality_ race as I can with an AG-Sys. And I think I know why now: (note that this all assumes Venom, in Rapier it's obvious that AG-Sys is easier to make a good time with)
1) In the AG-Sys I can hit every damn boost pad on the road, in a Qirex I don't quite have the tight handling to be able to do that.
2) In the AG-Sys I don't need the air brakes, I can do all my turns with nose control. The Qirex requires a little bit of airbrake on most turns.
3) The AG-Sys is floatier than the "lead tank" Qirex, and doesn't bottom out as often.

All of those things seem to lead to the AG-Sys being the faster craft on this track.
Of course, on some other track (that doesn't have such a wrecked track surface) the Qirex would be easier to fly.
Of course, a mad master of the Qirex could probably still pull it off faster, but I think I'm going to stick to the AG-Sys for this track... For now. 8 )

An yeah, I meant the serious uphill part after the left with the left at the top. That's the worst track surface I've ever had to glide over.

I'll be putting in some more Venom time this weekend, so y'all have a chance to catch me on Rapier if y'all like. 8 )

zargz
22nd February 2002, 12:14 PM
****! I haven't been able 2race for 3days now! :mad:

xEik
22nd February 2002, 01:26 PM
Days? For me it has been weeks :cry:

BenjaminSoulé
22nd February 2002, 04:58 PM
I can`t race either. :sad:

let them fly and think they can beat us... :grin:
We will be back... soon... :evil:

zargz
22nd February 2002, 06:11 PM
I think 2nite I'll try 2race a bit .. that's if my stupid gf dont come &whine as she usually does whenever I try 2get Bhind the controller 4some flying laps .. :mad:
what a B!^ch!

Task
23rd February 2002, 07:38 PM
Well, that should be my final edit for quite a while. I've beaten the 3-minute mark for Rapier, and I've beaten the 3:40 mark for Venom. I'm close to being able to consistently pull off my 1:11 laps, but I have such trouble getting the good start that my first lap is slower. I think the best time possible for Venom would be around 3:35...

Benjamin: I was looking at my "time at the jump" and on my best laps I hit the jump as early as 46.3 or so, but generally I hit it around 47 or 48. The time I look is right after the straight part, as I'm taking off of the lip of the jump. I think you might be right, that all the turns up till that point slow down the Qirex and make the AG faster.

Just out of curiosity, are y'all using the boost just before the jump, after the hard downhill right? I found that to be the best spot, myself...

xEik
23rd February 2002, 08:37 PM
That's the exact point where I used it

Wiseman
24th February 2002, 06:31 AM
Yeah, that's the point where I use it too, only real long straightaway there is...

And you're going to have to try a little harder than that to beat my Venom TT time, Jay. :wink:

And I'm going to have to try a little harder to beat the rest of yours... :lol (O.K., so a lot harder, sue me :razz:)

I'm probably not ever going to be able to beat my Raiper SR lap record though, that 56sec was achieved by some quite insane "Al style" race work. :lol

Just got to get my first SR laps better.... must make it past the roadcones...

Dom
24th February 2002, 11:45 PM
Finally after peppering the 3:08:00 mark for a week I've managed to beat you guys!!!

3:06:8
(Lap 1 - 1:01:9)
(Lap 2 - 1:03:2) (Hit a damn wall)
(Lap 3 - 1:01:7)

What fastest all time laps do you have?

My best is 1:01:3 and I know Zargz has done 1:01:4 in the challenge. Is that your best lap ever?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-02-25 01:40 ]</font>

zargz
25th February 2002, 10:01 AM
dom: I'll have 2check that &come back 2u!
but now I've done 3:06.1! :grin:

yo'all: I dont really Bliv that us pilot fr euope r THAT much worse than our overseas frineds rather it must b some serious slow down on the pal version .. coz uder 3min race on rapier seems almost imposible! I'm not sure but yesterday I think I managed even faster lap then the 1:00.7 I got on tt rapier but even 3x 1:00.7 won't get me under 3min! :eek: I'm glad wiseman joined so task dont feel all alone there far away fr the rest of the pack!

zargz
25th February 2002, 10:04 AM
btw can task or wiseman help me with a ntsc copy of the game(wo1)?
coz I really wanna c if I can get u guys!

BenjaminSoulé
25th February 2002, 10:26 AM
Are you sure NTSC version of WO1 is faster than the PAL version ?
I mean maybe Task and Wiseman are just faster than us... :wink:
On PAL version my fastest lap is 1:00.1 when I left France last week I was gaining 0.1s on it by training day.
Even if PAL is slower I dont think there`s a 3min barrier. Maybe I`ll change my mind when I`ll be able to play again.

Brother Laz
25th February 2002, 01:25 PM
Hmmm... no, it's as balanced as 2097, but not more. There FEISAR sucks, but in WO1 Auricom sucks, it flies as bad as the Qirex but doesn't have the speed to make up for it.

zargz
25th February 2002, 04:47 PM
well I wont give up yet on the '3min barrier' I'll try even harder :grin: but i no I've seen separate tables for wo1 already when the game came out!

Dom
25th February 2002, 09:23 PM
A 3:06:1 (B!@£$%D!!) & a 1:00:1, I reckon we could break the 3 minute barrier.

1:00:1 X 3 would be a 3:00:3.

My opening lap when I did my 3:06:8 was just over half a second off my best lap.

I reckon it's possible to do 3 laps at pretty much near ones lap record, in fact my lap record a few weeks ago was 1:01:4 and a couple of times I opened up with the same time.

If Benjamin puts the same kind of performance in related to his best lap and does the same for the other 2 laps, he has the potential to get near as dammit to the 3 minute barrier, certainly under 3:01:0!!

What would be really special would be a sub-3 minute race with a sub-1 minute lap.

Any ideas???????!!!!

On the subject of which version is faster, Joel Marshall (I think) wrote a post a while back with some conversion factors for Wipe3out. I don't know if the factors are the same for the original game as they are for Wipe3out but we could convert posted times, if we could be bothered!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-02-25 22:44 ]</font>

Task
26th February 2002, 04:47 AM
Wiseman: Hey, look at that, you _do_ have 1 second on me at Venom! I didn't notice that before! Okay, I guess I'll hafta take another kick at the can... 8 )

All: I'm pretty sure that NTSC WO1 is faster than PAL WO1. The same has been true in all the other versions (AFAIK) and I'd expect it to hold. Since there's no autopilot, I can't even begin to imagine how to create any conversion factors. Probably the best way to figure out some kind of conversion method would be to have a challenge on some WO1 track with both systems and see what time they tend to gravitate towards as an ultimate limit, and call the difference between the two "the conversion factor". It is, of course, only a rough guess, but that's better than the "no idea" we've got ATM.

zargz
26th February 2002, 11:26 AM
or u, task, can send me a copy of the game I'll gladly pay u 10$ us if u can find it that cheep. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-02-26 13:01 ]</font>

zargz
26th February 2002, 11:51 AM
task: I sent u an icq since I couldn find u email. pleez answer me by email at zargzATyahoo.com
nb! AT=@ thanx!

Wiseman
27th February 2002, 09:51 AM
I actually looked at quite a few places for the orginal Wipeout for you earlier today, but I couldn't find it anywhere (doesn't suprise me).

But if I do manage to find it somewhere, I can almost guaruntee you it's going to be used, becuase I know the original Wipeout is not in production anymore.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-02-27 10:52 ]</font>

zargz
28th February 2002, 08:23 AM
wiseman: ok thanx man! second hand huh? I hope it's gonna b in a good condition. I think task'll try 2digg dipper into it :smile:

dom: my best lap on tt rapier is 1:00.2, -0:00.1 from benjamins and I DID it on this challange -it's not an old bestlap time! :grin:
u 1:01.3 must b sr? I'll check that too :wink:

4venom tt 2day I did:

lap1 --- 1:13.4 turbostart -- new lap record!
lap2 --- 1:14.9 after seeng the new rec I chickened out a bit. grr!
lap2 -- 1:14.5 little better
race -- 3:42.8 -- new record!

first under 3:43 race 4me the best b4, 4the challange AND ever, was 3:43 flat!
the new records r for my save game'fcource!

'bout wehre 2use the turbo there r a lot of straghts on this track - after the quadriple speed upps and the right corner in the tunnel heading for the start finnish line 4exmpl, after the start right left right left ther's a looong curve, on the upphill b4 the 90% dubble speedupp, after the 90% dubble speedupp comes a chicane - straihgt up 2the right little upphill, after THAT right - straight upphill then downhill 2where u ppl use u boost. so ther r a lot of places 2check!!! :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-03-01 17:34 ]</font>

Dom
28th February 2002, 10:43 PM
Excellent, I've just done a 1:00:8!!! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-02-28 23:44 ]</font>

zargz
1st March 2002, 04:54 PM
ok dom - my best laps(beated all my old records!!!):

tt venom 1:13.4
tt rapier 1:00.2

sr venom 1:14.6
sr rapier 1:00.8

BenjaminSoulé
1st March 2002, 07:10 PM
I'm back into the challenge, but with the neGcon training I can't be faster than 1:03.0 for A TT Rapier laptime... :sad:

I used to run it in 1:00.1 for my best laptime with the normal controller...

I have to train more with neGcon I hope to break the 1:00.00 limit. (and maybe also 3:00.0 for the race time)

Wiseman
2nd March 2002, 05:57 AM
I did it! :grin:

I finally broke the 1:11 sec. lap record on Venom TT. (1:10.9). I actually managed to a make a pretty much perfect lap, hit all of the turbos, and none of the walls... just wish there was some way I could make the ship land lighter after the big jump, that would surely improve my times, that's the only place I bottomed out...

But then (I knew I had gotten a new lap record) I freaked out and hit the wall at the end of the last big curve with all the turbos... darn! Still got 1:13.7 for my last lap (I think), so I also managed to get a new race record (3:37.5).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-03-02 06:58 ]</font>

Dom
3rd March 2002, 06:36 PM
Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!! Done it!!!

Just changed ship to Auricom after some advice from my flatmate and whilst getting used to it managed to go under a minute for TT Rapier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time: 3:01:9

Lap 1: 0:59:9
Lap 2: 1:01:3
Lap 3: 1:00:7

I seriously reckon sub-3 minutes race is possible for both Time Trial & Single Race using Auricom.

zargz
4th March 2002, 02:43 AM
wiseman: I know it takes steelnerves 2dont f^ck up after u just made a record! :wink:

dom: W T F:o only 1tenth but anyway UNDER 1min!!! aaaarrrggh! back2 the track again! good challange mate! great work! :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-03-04 09:17 ]</font>

zargz
4th March 2002, 08:38 AM
hey dom!

what controller do u u se and do u have wo3se?

Dom
4th March 2002, 07:02 PM
I use the traditional controller that came with the Playstation, and I'm afraid to say I don't have WO3SE. Is it different to the other games?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-03-04 20:03 ]</font>

zargz
7th March 2002, 07:21 AM
not really .. it's the same as wo3 and just some liiitle details r changed like now there's autoload, the font is a little bit bigger, u dont have 2write codes to get the 2player mode - just choos it on the menu, the icaras has +1 in handeling also the two OVALS(trax) that r only on the jap version r added to the prototypes and Xept the 8 trax fr wo3 we got just 8more from wo1 AND wo2097!!!
besides that it's pretty much the same as wo3 .. :smile:

zargz
7th March 2002, 07:32 AM
so what r u waiting 4??!! pick up u jaw from the floor and get out, run 2buy it!! not even in fusion u can have as fun as here with 4players game!!! 2psx and 2tvs but hey thats Xactly what I got @home .. in sweden .. when it got out it was half the normal price for games coz it was a special edition ? dunno .. but if u find it 2nd hand it's probably even gonna b cheaper!! .. so go GO GO! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-03-07 08:38 ]</font>

zargz
7th March 2002, 08:01 AM
AARRGGHH!

dom: u lead by 0.9sec on tt rapier and merely 0.2 on sr rapier race and lap :smile: ..
by 2.1sec in sr venom my only joy @the moment is tt venom i leed by .. lets c .. aehum .. 6sec! and best lap 1.4 better than yours :grin:

Dom
7th March 2002, 06:38 PM
I am having major hastle catching up that 6 second deficit!! I've done the 1:42 in SR mode and that was using a couple more hyperthrusts!!

My main priority at the moment is to get as close to as possible or beat the 3 minute barrier in Rapier SR mode...... and get some distance between our times as well!!!! Nicely caught up!!

I will keep my eye out for Wipe3out SE as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-03-07 19:40 ]</font>

Dom
7th March 2002, 08:16 PM
Just done an hour and a half and managed 2 sub 3:05 single races.

First one was a 3:04:8;

Lap 1 - 1:01:3
Lap 2 - 1:00:8
Lap 3 - 1:02:7

Second one is my best so far, 3:04:2

Lap 1 - 1:01:7
Lap 2 - 1:01:1
Lap 3 - 1:01:4

We're getting closer to that elusive 3 minutes!!!!

zargz
8th March 2002, 08:53 AM
:eek: now the difference is 1sec!!
ha! u f^ckt up on the first one the last lap! could've been a good1 .. :reddevil:

zargz
8th March 2002, 08:58 AM
hey xeik!

now it's been more than the 2-3 weeks u said we gonna c new times from u !! what u have 2say in u deffence!? :razz:

xEik
8th March 2002, 01:54 PM
Gollum, my precioussss, they can't understand us, they won't see we could not play for a single minute for weeks. Neither WipEout nor any other game. Gollum.

Dom
9th March 2002, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I f!@£$d up the last lap!!!! The potential is still there, I will be trying over this week end to better that score... still going to be difficult to go under 3 minutes but I still maintain it's possible.

zargz
9th March 2002, 09:54 AM
dom: I'm stil duobtful'bout the under 3min beeng possible ..
and how the f. can u get control of the auricom ??!! :eek:

Dom
9th March 2002, 01:22 PM
I've given up with the Auricom and am using the AG Systems again. I've just done a 3:03:4 with a 1:00:3 fastest lap with it so a 3:00:9 and faster is possible, the 1:00:3 was my opening lap.

I should practice a lot more with the Auricom as I think it's faster but it takes soooo long to get anywhere near 3:05:00 with it that I end up using the AG Systems ship again just to get a good time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dom on 2002-03-09 14:26 ]</font>

BenjaminSoulé
9th March 2002, 04:42 PM
I'm currently working with the Qirex.
My best Lap is 1:00.1 but I can't manage to obtain stable resultat and my race time is still bad. :sad:
I'm not used to neGcon yet...

I will try again ! This challenge is interesting !

Task
9th March 2002, 09:08 PM
Finally!
It took 3 perfect laps, and almost zero deviation from my racing line, but I beat the venom TT! 3:35.9! Made my best laptime ever, too! 1:11.6!
Oddly enough, I'm finding that my _first_ lap is my best. My second and third laps were 1:12.1 and 1:12.2 respectively. I'm guessing that the .5 second difference comes from the turbo start and that's what makes lap 1 the fastest. In that regard, WO1 is way different from all the other WOs.
Isn't that interesting?

Wiseman
10th March 2002, 04:28 AM
Ahhh!!!! :lol

Now I have to reclaim that title as well as win the others from you, Jay.

Say, I didn't know you used the turbo start, I've never used that for any of my times...

I think this is where the rules they're talking about in "The Evolution Engine" forum would help... so that way we all know what we can and can't do, how many of the rest of you are using turbo start?

Hmm, well with that now in my hands, and the fact that I can get better lap times than anyone else, I just have to stay consistant and stay calm when I know I have made a record, then I can take you on. :evil

Lance
10th March 2002, 06:40 PM
last time i played WO3 in venom class, i was consistently getting my fastest time on the first lap! i feel as though the universe had turned pineapple upside-down cake!

of course, my overall times were pants!

zargz
11th March 2002, 09:22 AM
yo'all: AGAIN haven't been able to race for 3-4 days!!!

lance: this is wo1 :smile: and u get often, if not always, u best lap on the first lap coz of the turbostart (real B@st4rd 2get!!!) and the turbo they always giv u @the start of every lap ..

Lance
11th March 2002, 04:25 PM
yup, zargz. i was just taking note of Jay saying that all the WOs but WO1 usually do not have the fastest time on the first lap, but my recent experience on WO3 was an apparent contradiction of this. but not a true contradiction since my poor overall times indicate that i was driving very inconsistently.

and getting that turbostart ain't easy on 2097 either.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-11 17:27 ]</font>

Task
12th March 2002, 04:39 AM
8 ) The reason that later laps are faster in WOXL and WO3 is because you're already up to speed, the turbostart is easy to get but not as good as being at full speed when you fly over the finish line for your second or third laps. The turbostart for WO1 is (much as zargz said) _extremely_ tough to pull off. I manage it about 1/4 of the time now. I can, very literally, turbo start in WO3 or WOXL with my eyes closed. WO3 gives you the shakies (which is a _great_ feature, I might add) so that one is easy, which leaves you wondering how I can say such a thing about WOXL, right? 8 )
Hold down X. On "one!", let go of X. Instant turbo, every time.

Wiseman: I don't think turbostart is one of those "allowed" or "disallowed" things, if you're good (and a little lucky) you get it. Like all things in WO, it takes practice...

Wiseman
12th March 2002, 05:08 AM
Actually for me, I find the turbo start in 1 and XL the easiest, 3 changes entirely depending on what class you're on, making it more difficult. However, I have it down for the ships I use (AG-Sys, Assegai and Icaras).

But anyway, I guess I can see your point on the turbo, it's a lot like my times for Wipeout 3 vector, where I use the CPU ships to give me a bunch of "turbos" (I.E. the last prototype track, I'm sure you all have have been bumped in the back by a CPU ship, resulting in you skyrocketing forward like a triple turbo).

Task
14th March 2002, 03:46 AM
You can do a WO1 tubostart as easily as WOXL?!? How?
I find the WO3 turbostart quite easy to get, and it's the same for all classes in my mind. You put the accellerator at the top of the shield bar, the controller shakes, you get your turbo. There's a lot of give in there, I almost never miss it.
On the flip side, I've found almost 0 tolerance on the WO1 turbostart, and the accellerator is so touchy at that area that I can't hold it there.

Anyway, back onto topic...
Your fast Rapier lap was bugging me.
I now know that sub-2:50 times are possible.
I don't know if they're _humanly_ possible, but I do know that they're possible.
My quest continues...

Wiseman
14th March 2002, 05:15 AM
(edit)

Nevermind.... :lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-03-14 06:18 ]</font>

zargz
15th March 2002, 09:10 AM
wiseman: yeah! HOW!!!

wo2097 got def'netly the ezest turbostart, wo3 comes 2nd or equal mya b but wo1 is a real pain .. and I LOVE IT!!

dom: u got u wo3se yet?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-03-16 08:21 ]</font>

Wiseman
15th March 2002, 09:26 AM
Wiseman sez, stay away from my venom times! (j/k)

Venom - TT

Lap1 - 1:11.1
Lap2 - 1:10.9
Lap3 - 1:10.1

Total - 3:32.1

Look at what you made me go off and do! :lol

And I also managed to better my Venom SR times... still not as good as Jay's though.

Venom - SR

Lap1 - 1:20.2
Lap2 - 1:12.8
Lap3 - 1:09.2

Total - 3:42.3

I still suck at passing those dang CPU ships.. argh! :lol

I'll have to get going on Rapier again when I get the chance.

Man, I was just thinking, this contest sure was a great idea zargz, I don't think I've had this much fun in Wipeout (I'm talking just about the original here) since I first bought it.

I never thought I could be this good or this fast....

Brother Laz
15th March 2002, 10:18 AM
Erm... could use some help about this track. Not necessarily for the challenge (won't be able to make good times in time for the challenge), just because I really suck at this track, it's harder than Firestar!

1) The split: I go left because there's a speed pad there but it seems to work too well, I land in the chicane at stupid speeds and it's either *WHAM* or airbrake in all directions and swerve all over the place missing all the speed pads.

2) Everyone uses turbo after the three angular right-handers, on the straight before the jump. But I'm getting faster times by using the turbo after the hard left with the double speed pads (10 sec before the long straight) and the speed pads combined with the turbo and some pulling up allow me to skip over the little chicane and reach the summit at top speed instead of crawling up the normal way. Obviously, since I'm the only one doing so, I'm probably wrong. But whenever I use turbo on the long straight, I have to slam on the air brakes before the jump, causing me to lose all of my speed and hit the ground hard.

3) Rarely can I get through that final dastardly right-hander. The boosts propel me right at the wall, and if I airbrake even just a little bit, I lose all grip and *WHAMMO*.

With Daniel Chang, in Rapier class.

Lance
15th March 2002, 05:38 PM
if anyone knows an alternate source for the PC version of WO1, please let me know. the one i found on the french Lost Treasures site no longer works. i don't know if this is an internal error [i uninstalled than reinstalled from the original zips, still had same error.] or if a subsequent game modified my directX dll library. but WO2097 still works.

zargz
16th March 2002, 08:31 AM
wiseman: aaarrghh :razz:
'I never thought I could be this good or this fast....' just wait'n c coz in a week or so I'll b getting my own copy of wo1-NTSC c if I can upset u and task! :grin:

laz: where the f^ck r u from!?? .. I mean u should @least put that in u profile it's not like 1of us wipers will go 2 u country & try 2find and kill u or smthn ..

about the Qs:

1) I rarely take the speedup b4 the little jump @the split - it gets me on the left side of the track @the jump and I cant do good fr there. what I do is go on the left of the speed pad then turn tight right so I get on the right speed pad and when I'm on the pad I turn hard left and i dunno if it's the combination of the pad AND turning that make me land pretty far - almost @the little uphill on the left split (yes I also take it coz of the 2speeds there :smile:) and I steer so I land on the left hand side again 2line up for the speed ups.

2) I tryed that and it's slower coz u really need 2turn only slightly left 2get the 1st speed in that chicane and u no 'fcourse that b4 u take a speed up that is b4 a turn u have to face the direction of the turn already b4 u even take the speed up and this is valid for wo1 more then for any other wo coz of the really foalty steering! I think ppl uses their speed up after the 2nd of the 3 right turns u r talking about coz in rapier @the big jump even with normal speed u have to press down the nose of u craf in order to avoid 2be picked up. on that jump u always 'hit the ground hard'. I dunno anybody that can avoid that I often even hit hard @the split. well now I 'have 2give away a secret' but may b wiseman can learn fr it :grin: 90% of the times I use my turbo after the last right b4 the straight. and thats Q nr 3

3) I used 2have the same problem b4 this challange :grin: I think the speed pads r left right left right left. after the 2nd quadriple speed up I take the left hand side and pick up the fist left speed pad then the 1st right and aming for the 2nd right trying that the tail of the craft gets on the 2nd left pad and if lucky enough the 3rd left too but generally I think 'take 1st left then the 2 right pads!!'. 4 avoiding the wall just experiment with different angles when going into that corner but the line should b fr left line and take the corner tight and flotin a bit to the left after the coner. taking that corner even without breaks slowes u down a bit thats y I often use my turbo there( wiseman).

the only time i use the air breaks is @the first corner on the 2nd & 3rd lap and if I get the turbostart (WM) @the 1st lap too. then a couples of corners b4 the 90 d'gree left with the double speed up. but thats all and if line up real good 4all the corners then u dont have 2break @all .. 'm not sure if i ever did that in rapier but thats what I think.

daniel chang - great choice!

dont worry that u wont b able 2participate in this challange - as i said b4 in a week or so i'll b getting wo1 ntsc and I dont think anybody of us here has reached their limit on this track yet!!!

hope this helps! :grin:

pilot, change u bios so it shows where u from! :evil:

lance: sorry I cant help u ..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zargz on 2002-03-16 10:00 ]</font>

Task
16th March 2002, 09:35 AM
Wiseman: Oh! The pain! 1:10.1! I have been struck down! Your 3:32 has put me to shame!
8 ) 8 D 8 )
I can see your difficulty with the AI ships, that first lap of yours makes it quite evident. And yet you manage a 1:09.2 lap!!!
Here's my "anti-AI" technique: take 'em on the corners. They tend to change sides on the corners (going from inside to outside, or vice-versa) and if you see them on the inside, you can take the outside and cut the corner tight and pass them. Usually hitting a speedpad to assist in the pass along the way.
And I too have been having a marvelous time with this track, and this challenge. Not since The Silverstream Challenge have I been so into WO1.

Brother Laz:
1) I take the left at the split too, for the same reasons. If you pull back and lift your nose, a bit of left/right steering can take you through the following corners at great speed and while hitting all boost pads. Do Not Use Airbrakes.
2) When using the turbo on the long straight, endeavour to hit both the boosts and end up on the outside (left) lane. Begin turning before the corner and end up on the outside (right) lane. Just before leaving the jump, nose down something serious and haul to the left. You'll land on the track, probably on top of the boost, keep pulling back and now haul right to make the turn. Works great for me. I just wish I could land that jump/fall better. I'm sure I'm losing a lot of speed on my bouncy landing. Do Not Use The Airbrake.
3) That dastardly right-hander can be tricky, but once you've learned the trick you'll breeze right through it. Wanna guess what the trick is? Hold on, I'll tell you... Wait for it... Do Not Use The Airbrake! Instead, start from the outside (left) lane and push your nose down while you turn left before you get to the turn. If you get good at this, you can hit 3 (out of 4!) of the boost pads and they'll _help_you_ make the corner. You'll understand once you've taken this route at serious speed... 8 )
Go AG-Systems!

I agree totally with zargz: the only time to use the airbrakes is if you get the good start and if you're ever in trouble.

I'm definitely nowhere near the limits of this track. Every time I sit down I make new records...
There's so much to this track!
I imagine this challenge will stay open a LONG time... As long as you put some practice in, almost anyone could post some good times...

A minute nine! Christ!

Wiseman
16th March 2002, 09:56 AM
I think I'm going to make up a quickie webpage w/pics explaining how I go around this track....

I don't feel like trying to explain what corners I'm talking about (LOL)

Thank goodness for the PC version! (easy to take pics with) :evil

BTW, I _never_ use the airbrakes, for any reason, whatsoever. Whenever I'm in trouble 99% of the time it's too late for the airbrakes anyway. (LOL)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiseman on 2002-03-16 11:00 ]</font>

Wiseman
16th March 2002, 09:57 AM
Whoa, hey Jay!

LOL, you must've posted that while I was reading the messages and posting my own!

Task
16th March 2002, 09:04 PM
8 D Must've.

I saw the "last post by" thing, and it said "Wiseman", and I'm all like "what? If he posted after me, then the folder should be red. Otherwise, that should have my name in it." So I came in to look...

BTW, I've finished with Rapier for a while now. I guess I'll hafta work on Venom for a while, try and figure out how you're managing that minute nine...

zargz
20th March 2002, 04:06 PM
2nite I think I'll sqeez a couple of hours!! :evil:

zargz
21st March 2002, 03:59 PM
I was crap!! and 2day my gf sent the ps1 to repare so who knows how many days I hafta wait!

Dom
30th March 2002, 04:44 PM
Not only has our telephone line been disconnected so I am having difficulties getting to Wipeoutzone but I've gone and lost my Wipeout disc as well :cry:.

Haven't been able too practice at all for ages!!

zargz
7th April 2002, 11:16 AM
:-? hmm .. that might give me the chance 2cach up ?? .. :roll:

zargz
9th November 2002, 07:20 AM
zargz 'just wait'n c coz in a week or so I'll b getting my own copy of wo1-NTSC c if I can upset u and task! '

J 'Oh! The pain! 1:10.1! I have been struck down! Your 3:32 has put me to shame! '

'Wiseman sez, stay away from my venom times! '
and
'Look at what you made me go off and do! :lol: '

well I just hope this'll b the spark that kicks the competition here again!!
I got new times 4u boys!! :D
check out the times only thread!
btw I did them as I was working on the dj technos challange - just like a biproduct sorta .. 8)

.. :-? I just can't get close to dominic thou .. :roll:

Wiseman
11th November 2002, 09:57 PM
Man, you better be lucky there no way possible to haul a Qirex around this sucker, otherwise... :lol:

Anyway, I'll give it another go when DJ Techno's challenge is over. :wink:

Great job on the times, BTW.