PDA

View Full Version : New WipEout game... Flash to the past?

Kansas
31st October 2006, 08:56 PM
So far, every new version of WipEout has taken us farther into the future. What if the new game would take us the early days of AG racing? Maybe it would be unsanctioned and more dangerous? If this is a repost, just delete the post. If not, I'd love to hear what others think.

RingoSpoon
31st October 2006, 09:12 PM
unsanctioned and more dangerous? :):)

Very interesting idea bro - how exactly do you mean? :)

I would love to see a hi-def version of 'pre-Wipeout 2097' racing, it would rock bells I am sure :):) I am very interested in how Studio Liverpool could improve on Wipeout Pure - all I want is a Wipeout PS-3 Killer App....Online Racing.....Online Time Trial.....Online Ghost laps.....it would be the best video game ever made :) Respect bro

bakkufu
3rd November 2006, 09:38 AM
OH MY GOD....

Can you imagine a high definition, WipEout era game, new versions of all the original tracks, remixed music to fit the mood, heavy industrial themes for the tracks like Terramax and some of the small refinements we know and love from newer race seasons!

I think I need to sit down!!!

Kansas
3rd November 2006, 11:34 PM
In case you’re wondering, here’s the premise of my idea.

How about having the next WipEout game flash back to the premature era of AG-racing?

Surely, AG craft weren’t initially developed for racing. I’m sure that before racers most AG craft were for commercial or military use.

What if some of the developers of AG transport systems working for Pierre Belmondo tinkered with some of their projects at home, on the weekends?

What if some of them made a few modifications of their own, making their AG craft lighter, faster, more aerodynamic... more dangerous?

What if they met on the weekends (or on holiday) in secrets spots around the world to test their craft and race against each other?

This is before a sanctioning body existed or any rules regarding AG “racing” were established. This AG racing isn’t “pure” at all. This AG racing is as raw as it gets, with no restrictions on speed, power or design.

Can you imagine the visceral thirst for speed?

Can you imagine racing these craft on early tracks, some of which were constructed to test the mettle and nerve of the racers? So lovely and dangerous.

Can you imagine the rush of racing these primitive AG-racing craft?

Strap me up.

Zerow
3rd November 2006, 11:53 PM
I quite like this idea. It sounds like it could have a much higher sense of danger - not from weapons fire, but from the enviroments. In a similar vein to the pod-race scene from Star Wars Episode I - the thing that's most likely to reduce your veichle into a smouldering wreck (unless you're trying to overtake Sebulba ;)) is the landscape you're racing across. It's this kind of wildness that's quite missing from previous WipEouts - most eliminations are the result of one rocket too many rather than failing to react to a corner in time.

ace-of-spades
4th November 2006, 12:27 AM
I think this would be really cool. Perhaps you could have things like breakdowns, mechanical instability, if there was good way to do that. Maybe over hyper-thrusting could cause a breakdown.

Kind of like speed testing on Bonneville flats and stuff, using natural material as tracks etc.

Although that said, in the original Wipeout i think the league is set up as a showcase for AG technology, supposing that it predates weapons use etc. I think it would be quite cool if it was an amateur thing. Perhaps there could be a young Pierre Belmondo just making a name for himself. The whole thing makes me think of the danger of the early Manx TTs, etc. Perhaps we could have racing on city streets etc. Also, there could be emerging new technologies like shields, reflectors etc. similar to the use of fairings and later dustbin fairings, twins etc. on early racing motorcycles.

Kansas
4th November 2006, 12:41 AM
There you go... you guys are getting the idea!

Maybe racing inside sewer tunnels or in subways!

bakkufu
4th November 2006, 11:52 AM
even across open terrain of sorts, with maybe a few river crossings ( think boats and stuff whizzing past with AG's thunderng between them and you get the idea )

ace-of-spades
4th November 2006, 12:42 PM
The sewer tunnels one is a good idea, as is the subways, makes me think of the abandoned stations on the London underground.

lunar
4th November 2006, 01:07 PM
It makes me think of Fusion :o ;) I think that sort of open terrain or street racing thing could work well maybe for a small, limited part of the game, like the Omegas work well as an entertaining side-portion of Pure, but the main game stays as racing on purpose-built new tracks with walls on both sides. :rock I really don`t want them to take any chances on the next game - just give us what we have with all the improvements we ever wanted and all the next-gen benefits, as Ringo Spoon says above.:)

Zerow
4th November 2006, 09:00 PM
Well, maybe PS3 WipEout shall take every strong point of all the previous WipEouts and bring them all together into a perfect speed ballad (along with one or two new additions - next-gen visuals, online play out-of-the-box, custom soundtracks, much longer tracks, etc); and IF there's a second WipEout game for PSP, that could take a look at the events which preceeded the F3600. It could be an awesome retrospective, I reckon. :rock

ace-of-spades
4th November 2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, i think that is the best way to go about it. Handhelds are good for trying out all the unusual ideas.

Rapier Racer
6th November 2006, 11:10 PM
Noooooo PS3 Wipeout can't go backwards! It must move forwards. I want to race the decent teams we have in the game just now not to be flying an unstable ugly floating thing created during someone’s free time at the weekend that could stop mid-race because I thrashed out the engine! If we’re talking pre Wipeout then there would be no eliminations that would take a whole lot of fun out of any online multiplayer mode there might be and removes the survival element altogether, I’m assuming there would be no weapons pads in these sewers?

q_dmc12
7th November 2006, 01:52 AM
unsanctioned and more dangerous? :):)

Very interesting idea bro - how exactly do you mean? :)

I would love to see a hi-def version of 'pre-Wipeout 2097' racing, it would rock bells I am sure :):) I am very interested in how Studio Liverpool could improve on Wipeout Pure - all I want is a Wipeout PS-3 Killer App....Online Racing.....Online Time Trial.....Online Ghost laps.....it would be the best video game ever made :) Respect bro
lol, yeah! WipEout 2087:p

Kansas
7th November 2006, 11:09 PM
maybe the game could be called WipEout: Generations

Have PS3 versions of all the previous games but with PS3 grafx, then a version that does all the stuff from the early days of WO..

Racing in the subways and sewers sounds awesome...

Zerow
7th November 2006, 11:59 PM
I also like the sound of racing up or down the face of a mountain - in a similar vein to Sebenco Climb, except there would be no barriers on the outer edge of the track. Drift too far wide near the top of the mountain . . . man, you'd better hope for a soft landing! :o

Riccardo Raccis
8th November 2006, 02:23 PM
Man, just do both the games for both the consolles :D, the forward-into-the-future Wipeout and Wipeout Year Zero. Just scale the polygon count down for the PSP.

:nod

Lance
8th November 2006, 04:47 PM
Racing in the sewers sounds like a nasty version of Wipeout Dungeons and Dragons. Spending all your time in a dark hole. Thank you for the offer, but no. :D

RingoSpoon
9th November 2006, 01:34 AM
lol, yeah! WipEout 2087:p

Sounds good mate ;) Oh, and on the ghost front - Not only do I want to be able to download / select them directly for a race online - I would like to be able to play multiple ghosts at the same time :)

I can remember San Francisco Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast had multiple ghosts, and it *rocked* :)

Karbonis
8th February 2007, 11:37 AM
Hello everyone,

I've always loved the art design of the original two games, especially their CG intros, so I attempted to create an ingame next-gen stretch of track based on the F3600 / F5000 idea. It all proved abit too taxing and was (for the time being) abandoned, but I hope you like this salvaged render.

Steve

image (http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F3600_SD.jpg)

Lion
8th February 2007, 05:08 PM
wow, nice image!
if that's a render then it's a pity the rest was abandoned.. with the styling it looks like a photoshopped high-res grab from one of the old movies.. and still very awesome at that!

ps: welcome to the zone

Asayyeah
8th February 2007, 05:19 PM
Wellcome to the site Karbonis :)

Thx for the link , render is great :+
If you fancy introduced yourself a little bit more, telling us what wipeout means or has represented for you in the past, that should be sweet :) ; you can do that by opening a new thread into the Pilots lounge forum

Zerow
8th February 2007, 07:37 PM
Man, that looks awesome! Great job! :nod

Karbonis
8th February 2007, 08:51 PM
Hello, thank you for the forum welcome. I've been wanting to post here for a while but I've never felt brave enough.

I've got a few more bits and bobs based on the original F3600 / F5000 era theme if you're interested. Thanks for looking.

1920x1080 Icaras Side:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9105/f36001080tx3.jpg

QIREX Work in progress:
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6334/q97f5000p1200bdd9.jpg

Karbonis daytime:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/overcam.jpg

A side shot:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000fast.jpg

View down straight:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000straight.jpg

Another view:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000curve.jpg

Power-UP:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F3600Boost.jpg

Metal panel daylight:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F3600side.jpg

Just a tunnel:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000tunnel2.jpg

The Gracer
9th February 2007, 01:44 AM
If we’re talking pre Wipeout then there would be no eliminations that would take a whole lot of fun out of any online multiplayer mode there might be and removes the survival element altogether, I’m assuming there would be no weapons pads in these sewers?

Remember - the weapons pads were all part of the leagues circuits so they were ruled and sanctioned by the governing body. this is PRE the sanctioned events.
This could mean weapons were INTEGRATED into the craft...and theres no one to say that craft cant be shot out of the air and destroyed, other than gentlemans agreements.
But, as this is a new idea, it should be explored on the PSP. another massive console disappointment (Fusion Pt.2 anyone?) will be...disappointing.

As for the survival element...weapons could be more devastating than the later versions, so all this will do is increase the need to keep your ship in tip-top shape - we wouldnt want a 'primitive' over-charged plasma bolt to totally rip us to shreds... ;)

BTW - i think this is a great idea. But i still think a career game that travels through the entire series in order would be better. :D

PS - Those images Karbonis posted are great!! im now going to photobucket to 'investimigate'. :D :D

q_dmc12
9th February 2007, 04:41 AM
I like your views, makes me wish I had $600 to buy a ps3 right now:frown:

PS> thx for the pics karbonis :)

stin
9th February 2007, 10:29 AM
I`m lost for words!!! these are awesome pictures!

stevie:)

Mad-Ice
9th February 2007, 10:53 AM
Superb, thanks man! Saved into memorycard psp.

Zerow
9th February 2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for sharing more of these renderings, Karbonis. I can't decide which one's my favourite! :g

Sausehuhn
10th February 2007, 09:15 AM
Karbonis, these pics are just stunning. I especially love this one (http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000curve.jpg), the track looks just awesome. The mood is just perfect (the lighting elements are superb).
I would love to see that on PS3.

Karbonis
10th February 2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It's nice here on this forum.

Here's another image of the track you liked Sausehuhn. Pretty much identical, if a tad overexposed, but has a tilted camera to give it more of the Wipeout feel.

City tilted:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w238/Karbonis/F5000_tilt.jpg

guillaume
10th February 2007, 02:15 PM
That is awesome!

The atmosphere in this picture really makes me wish there were an entire CG Wipeout movie :D

Asayyeah
10th February 2007, 03:04 PM
Brilliant pics :+
héhéh F5000 with a goteki banner + assegai development's one on the track sounds like anticipating adverts for new future ships :g

Mad-Ice
10th February 2007, 03:49 PM
Just keep them coming!! Awesome! :dizzy

q_dmc12
10th February 2007, 08:24 PM
haha, we are starting to sound like real 'wipEout junkies' getting drunk off of these images:beer

Medusa
11th February 2007, 01:38 PM
Starting to sound like???
I think most on this site hit that mark many moons ago:D Verrrry scarrry!

Back to the original question - I think it would be neat to have a flashback but not TOO far back, maybe between WipEout and 2097, so that the racing isn't too "primitive" (gasp). But if this is a PS3 game it should be just an side feature to a killer new game with all the features, IMO. Let's not expect Sony to cover too much ground all at once, as long as they stick to what the fans love and DON'T SCREW IT UP!!!

Sausehuhn
11th February 2007, 04:25 PM
And what if you understand the thread's title a different way?

Cause, yes, I wanna get rid of Flash. They better make a bit faster Vector (cause that is what almost every person finds too slow - even with 0 experience) and Venom's speed = Flash's speed.

q_dmc12
11th February 2007, 08:54 PM
:oOoh, so just raise the bar:

Vector = Venom

Venom = Flash (eliminating flash)

Rapier and phantom remain the same.....and perhaps a bonus for completing everything on phantom would be a Zone league (speed):blarg :dizzy

infoxicated
12th February 2007, 05:51 PM
ha!

The backlash continues. :D

I told him Flash was a **** name for a speed class. :)

Lance
12th February 2007, 07:11 PM
LOL

I have to admit, though, that now that I've heard it for so long, it almost sounds normal.

Sausehuhn
5th September 2011, 09:15 PM
Just re-discovered this thread and I must admit I totally forgot about it. It seems like only two of those links are still active, so please, did anybody save those images to their harddrive?

One of those renders probably looks like this one (http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/5507/f5000straightno7.jpg).

infoxicated
6th September 2011, 08:51 AM
It's the very reason I tell people again and again to use the attachment system and not an external photo sharing service. Probably lost for good, now. :(

Mu5
6th September 2011, 10:27 AM
@Sausehuhn - Contact Stevie (stin) :D :+

stin
6th September 2011, 06:24 PM
Yes I did have one but, my old laptop went defunt!:frown: and I did tried to save it and no avail but there were three originals tracks!:brickwall

Honestly, I was gutted by it.

Sorry about that and I did searched through my HDD for nearly a hour and found nothing.

stevie:(

Mu5
7th September 2011, 10:44 AM
Stevie...I have them somewhere ;) Im so glad you gave me them when I met you and Arnaud at your place :D They are one of my prized possessions mate and the most awesome wipeout pics I have ever seen :D

...I can remember ....... I was sworn to secrecy :D :+

Thats what I was hoping next-gen wipeout would look like..

Ill find them mate and send you guys them...

Stevie - was it Steve Warburton himself that gave you these pics at the first Wipeout Convention? :D

Mad-Ice
7th September 2011, 01:45 PM
I think I have some pics saved on my memory stick. I will look into that tomorrow.

Sausehuhn
7th September 2011, 02:40 PM
Ah, that’s awesome mates! :)

In the end, they’re what WO2048 could have looked like style wise (besides the WO3-logos and teams).

Mu5
8th September 2011, 08:03 AM
I agree - I was hoping Wipeout HD was going to look as good as this before it was released.

One day I hope there will be a Wipeout game exactly like this - exactly like Steve Warburtons vision...with 'floaty feeling' like 2097. The atmosphere is incredible. I can but only dream :) :+

Pics sent :+ Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

I would love to contact Steve Warburton - one of my favourite artists of all time :+

Sausehuhn
8th September 2011, 11:56 AM
Got your mail! Awesomesauce! :D

And good to know his full name, I was googleing my … off finding the person who made those great pictures.

Thanks again! :)

Mad-Ice
8th September 2011, 01:59 PM
Yes I found them too! I wanted to upload them to this site but got restricted because of filesize. So I only uploaded 1 pic which was in the correct size.

You can find it on my profile page!

At Mu5: I got 6 pics of that album. How many do you got? Maybe I am missing some?!

If someone wants to have them, just PM me.

Greetz Mad-Ice

Sausehuhn
8th September 2011, 02:27 PM
Got five pics at 1024x576 pixels each, plus the two pictures that are still accessible. One of the five pics is the one I linked to a few days ago.

So it’s

F5000_tilt.jpg
F5000curve.jpg
F5000fast.jpg
F5000straight.jpg
F5000tunnel2.jpg

+ the two active links.

Mad-Ice
8th September 2011, 02:31 PM
Ah, then yes they are the same! Really cool pics indeed. Great atmosphere!

stin
9th September 2011, 01:56 PM
Can I have these pictures please:hyper

stevie:cowboy:+

Sausehuhn
9th September 2011, 03:51 PM
At your service!

If the owner has any problems with it being posted here, please tell us so. After all, it once was online for everyone anyway.

mdhay
9th September 2011, 07:57 PM
Anyone know how to UV map? I'm getting an urge to start attempting to make some of my own. :D

Xpand
9th September 2011, 09:35 PM
Depends, I can help you with 3ds max... Don't know how other 3d cads work on that. Maybe they have the same system...

Also, those are awesome pics! Can't believe you found such hi-res images from 2097...

stin
10th September 2011, 07:12 AM
Cheers max! :+

stevie:clap

Mu5
10th September 2011, 09:10 AM
Stevie - I emailed you them the other night mate, check your hotmail :+

Does anybody have any infos on Steve Warburton? I take it he worked for SL back in the day? What is he doing now? I would love to contact him :D

It is my mission to recreate 'F5000_Tilt' - One of my favourite ever Wipeout Pics :+

fdfxd
29th January 2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah! let's also set it in the year 2048!

It could also be in the PSP 2!

NeroIcaras
3rd February 2016, 05:18 AM
Hahaha