PDA

View Full Version : Does Auto Pilot actually slow you down?

blackwiggle
28th October 2006, 07:43 PM
I was just wondering if anybody else has found that depending on use "Auto Pilot" can slow you down,as would one not activated it you could achieve better times/racing lines.

I suppose it's all in when you select to disengage this factor when you get it.

Anybody else found this?

Hellfire_WZ
28th October 2006, 07:51 PM
Quite the opposite, I find the autopilot actually speeds you up. Could just be me though, I'm not the best racer on W3O :)

Lance
28th October 2006, 08:35 PM
In W3O, it usually is a lot slower than the human pilot; buT, there are exceptions. There are a couple of spots [and pretty much only in Phantom class] where it can give you a better time, IF you start it and stop it absolutely perfectly so it doesn't crash your ship. The Manor Top right angle corner series is one of these.

Zerow
28th October 2006, 08:39 PM
I personally find that Autopilot slows me down too, and once it disengages, my ship recieves a sudden yet very brief burst of speed. Very annoying at the higher speed classes when you're on the verge of entering a sharp corner. :brickwall

Hence the reason why I avoid using Autopilot at all.

Sausehuhn
28th October 2006, 08:46 PM
When I use the AP I just use it at small corners. This means: activating, flying through the corner(s), deactivating.
This isn't possible with Pure's AP btw, cause you can't deactivate it manually.

ace-of-spades
29th October 2006, 08:54 PM
I usually throw it away now, for a couple of reasons. First, i feel like i can do better myself sometimes. Second, the autopilot occasionally flies you into walls when it disengages, and third, if you save the autopilot for all the difficult parts youre never going to crack them are you?

I do sometimes use it just to get round one awkward corner or through a hairpin and then disengage it.

andy
29th October 2006, 10:19 PM
I think it's annoying when the speedo says you're only going about 23-24mph or something in phantom. Although, if you engage it from a complete stop, it accelerates so fast and you do seem to speed past other oponents very easily and it can go though walls when activated at the right time =P.

I always try to use one on the carousel in mega mall cos its way too tricky without it. Sometimes in the right tunnel at stanza inter if i mess up.

Albino Ace
2nd November 2006, 01:22 PM
When I use the AP I just use it at small corners. This means: activating, flying through the corner(s), deactivating.
This isn't possible with Pure's AP btw, cause you can't deactivate it manually.

Actually, you can disengage it in Fusion. I've been able to anyway...I try not to use it though. Only slows me down...I'd rather bump into a wall or two and get better at avoiding it on my own. No need to hamper myself. :cowboy

Sausehuhn
2nd November 2006, 04:38 PM
Of course you can! I said Pure, not Fusion ;)

Fusion's AP actually is the worst thing you can do in a race, it flies you straight into walls and all that stuff. One time I activated it on the start grid (after passing by the entrance of the pit) and it turned around trying to fly back into the pit - it just crashed into the walls, though.
And above all it also slows you down.
It's a totally useless weapon on Fusion.

Albino Ace
2nd November 2006, 05:23 PM
Oh! Silly me. I saw Pure, but my brain perceived it as Fusion for some unknown reason... :brickwall

andy
2nd November 2006, 06:09 PM
completely with you there saucy. That goes completely OTT on the air-brakes. and air-brakes are useless on fusion. Doesn't get you round corners, doesn't go very fast and makes you look drunk.

Sausehuhn
2nd November 2006, 06:47 PM
Airbrakes are useful in Fusion :)

Lion
2nd November 2006, 07:15 PM
the first time I played fusion I used an AP and it hit one of those gravity inverter pads, then once on the roof decided it was facing the wrong way and turned around into a wall and sat there pressing up against the wall until it wore off. (I didn't know how to deactivate it at the time)
I went from 2nd to last in the duration of the autopilot

JABBERJAW
7th November 2006, 01:37 AM
Lance, actually it is faster(with assegai) to not use autopilot through the turns. Although I use it twice to save turbo on two of the laps so I can turbo in the same places towards the end of the race. For icarus, it is much faster to use autopilot, not to mention easier.

username
7th November 2006, 10:04 AM
since wrer talking about wip3out here obv the AP gives perfect handling. however on mega mall the spiral imho is the hardest part as i am unable to maintain a constant speed and integrity down it, so i engage an autopilot just after the lil jump in the blue tunnel before the sipral, and it disengages just as it enters the spiral... but it dosent - when it enters the spiral its on an uneven keel so ut dosent disengage until you reach the bottom, and it dosent crash it there! so autopilot is a real big speed - up for me on that track. also you only have to do about half of the track yourself ^^

andy
7th November 2006, 09:00 PM
Thats what I do (or hope for) every time I do that track, although that's a rarity because I tend to stay on tracks like manor top, stanza inter, p mar and porto koro.

Also, when I go on stanza inter I always take the rightward fork through the tunnel and will use AP if I feel that I have misjugded a turn and I am not going to be able carry out the next turn successfully - auto pilot kicks in and flies straight though the wall.

Lance
8th November 2006, 04:36 PM
Lance, actually it is faster(with assegai) to not use autopilot through the turns. Although I use it twice to save turbo on two of the laps so I can turbo in the same places towards the end of the race. For icarus, it is much faster to use autopilot, not to mention easier.

I usually use Icaras or Pirhana on MT, even though Pirhana feels just a bit twitchier than Assegai. Although that may be why I like it.

ace-of-spades
8th November 2006, 05:31 PM
To me Piranha and AG feel roughly the same, the Assegai is totally different. There are corners the Assegai can manage with the minimum of turning effort, where a Piranha or AG would need the airbrakes.

username
10th November 2006, 11:31 AM
in the future versions of wipeout do you think that it will return to the classic version of AP with perfect handling? i am not sure if i want it to!, but i think i prefer the perfect version to the normal version. it reminds me of 2097 and wip3out!
(sorry if i went off-topic there!)

Rapier Racer
10th November 2006, 07:51 PM
ah but I clearly remember the WO3 AP had the magic ability to fly through solid walls not really something I want to see return, I like the Pure AP it won't save your ass if you try to use it just before collision point. Also you could time it correctly in WO3 so that the AP would stay engaged way past its supposed time I disagree with that again the Pure AP just shuts off when times up, poor engagement and your screwed, deservedly so. :p

blackwiggle
30th November 2006, 02:21 PM
It would seem you would really have to know the particuler track in question and know not only the best time to engage AP,but the most appropriate time to disengage it as well.

I suppose this knowleage is only gained with repeat attempts.

Hence better times posted by some,to the total frustration of many.:D

KIGO1987
5th August 2008, 04:58 PM
Ha Autopilot.

It can screw you over really good in some parts of the tracks, like sometimes the ship likes to flip on jumps and land on its side and then the ship reset itself. Thats when the PSP might reset itself also if this occurance happened in a heavy online battle:brickwall

rdmx
6th August 2008, 07:28 AM
KIGO, did you check the section of the forum this was in before replying? :paperbag :P

KIGO1987
6th August 2008, 08:18 AM
I realised it after i posted it. ****:brickwall

Ah **** it, it can also apply to the topic kinda.. Autopilot in W3SE seems to be more faster in W3SE compared to that of the ones in Pure and Pulse.

Autopilot cant be trusted always. But sometimes is a life saver, depending on what part of the curcuit it usually speeds you up expecially on that Mega Mall course with the twisty section.

Darkdrium777
10th August 2008, 05:52 AM
And the O7 V turns... :rolleyes:

The way the ship launches up and back down in line with the rest of the track with AP on those turns is impossible to do for a human, and it's much faster.

Doesn't have anything to do with W3SE I know. :?

flashbax
29th August 2008, 08:13 PM
will most of the old wipeouts work on the PS3? i still play fusion but its got more bugs that god knows what, was planning on buying wipeout3 se soon but i only have a PS3 now so would be a waste if it dont work..

Medusa
29th August 2008, 08:18 PM
Hi, welcome to the zone! Here's the thread you want:

http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4573&highlight=wipeout

Don't forget to read the forum posting guidelines!

Happy racing. :)

flashbax
30th August 2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah sorry for that...aint gonna happen again

username
11th September 2008, 01:37 AM
Autopilot can be used for a speedy recovery of iminant weapon hits, or flying off the course!
Just before a missile or rockets strikes you, engage autopilot. Instead of coming to a near halt, you will roll around a bit, but maintin the course!

Thats something i miss from the older versions acually - it used to make me laugh when i got a feisar up the ass with rockets, and switching to rear view to watch it roll around in agony! lol
Now in pure, pulse, fusion etc, they just seem to jolt backwards.
Has anyone else noticed that, or is it just me? :lol

Darkdrium777
17th September 2008, 02:03 AM
No, it does that in both Wipeout 2 and Wipeout 3. Looks funny sometimes, the ship is going down the track at 200kph but it's sideways compared to the direction it's heading and sideways compared to the track. At 200kph. :lol

GalacticSpartan
18th September 2008, 02:41 AM
Meh...it may look like you do, but you`re alot faster in the process.

nWo
2nd August 2009, 02:36 PM
In fact that's true. Auto Pilot is a lot slower than a skilled gamer