PDA

View Full Version : "Curly" Question

Consortium
12th May 2002, 10:41 AM
Hello, fellow wipers!
As a new purchaser of Wipeout 2097 for OS X, I have a question about the whole "Wipeout" mythos. I don't have any of the other games, so some information I have is only partial and has been gleaned from the 'net.

What is the significance of "Curly"? Is she the stylised girl with pigtails that can be seen at the beginning of the Odessa Keys track? Does she count "3-2-1-Go!" in the PS version of Wipeout XL/2097 (I only have a robotic male voice doing the count)? Does she become an actual character later on in the games, i.e. Fusion?

Lastly, does anyone have a clean sound file of the "3-2-1-Go!" from Wipeout 3?

Any info appreciated,
c.

ps - if there is a more appropriate forum area for this, please move me there, gracious moderators!

rhys
12th May 2002, 12:30 PM
i know that curly counts down in wipeout 3. i am not 2 sure about 2097 though as i have not played that for a while. the awnser 2 ur question about whether she was is character is no. she just counts down 3, 2 , 1 GO!!!!

and unfortunatly i dont have a sound recording of the 3 2 1 go :(

Synthetic Consciousness
13th May 2002, 01:52 AM
I have a sound clip, but I can't post it due to I don't have a website. E-Mail me and I'll send it. :)

Hybrid Divide
13th May 2002, 08:03 PM
Thruster2097 already has that sound already posted. I can't remember the url though. But it came in very handy when mixing "Curly Says GO!"

www.vagrantlogic.cjb.net :D

Hope that helps!
Vagrant Logic OUT

Wamdue
13th May 2002, 09:15 PM
as said above, Curly only announces 3-2-1-Go in Wip3out. Curly is property of The Designers Republic.. so, thats why you dont see her in Wipeout Fusion, cause that gameĀ“s 2d art was made by Good Technology.

Thruster2097
14th May 2002, 02:20 PM
Curly (or Missy) is one of the Designers Republics` distinctive character devices. Missy was around a long time before wipeout, and remodelled as a human pilot for WipEout 1 (arial tetsuo). For WipEout2097, she appears all over the manual artwork, but (as far as I recall) never in the game. In Wip3out, the now renamed Curly is plastered over a huge dotmatrix display at the front of the grid, and a few other places. WipEout Fusion changed its "aditional graphic design"ers from tDR to GoodTechnology, hence no curly in Fusion.
I have the 3-2-1-GO as a wave file, but it is by no means clean....just taken straight from the game. you can get it from http://homepages.tesco.net/~thruster if you want

----------EDIT----------------
My homepage seems to be going through a mid-life crisis of some sort!
The URL IS correct, I guess I just have to wait until it settles back down to normal...

Wamdue
14th May 2002, 09:03 PM
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the piranha ship in 2097 have the Curly logo just above the cockpit?

Nathan Adams
15th May 2002, 07:00 AM
no such character as 'missy'
maybe you mean Sissy.

Sissy, Arial and Curly are unrelated.
Sissy is actually an absolute mean ass little girl who featured of the "blech" cover art. (DR replied to someone enquirering about dating her by asking if they valued their testicles....)
Curly on the other hand as only been seen as the iconic chara that you see.
other DR characters feature in wipeout (mostly in 2097) are Lady and Hoppa.

And if anyone is a huge fan of these characters (and has a LOT of money to waste) - then theres some hideously expensive, but very cool and massive screenprints of them available at the peoples bureau

FoxZero
15th May 2002, 12:58 PM
dont forget Angryman!

Thruster2097
15th May 2002, 01:09 PM
(note to self - must leave tDR questions to nathan...)
sorry, once again youre right, Sissy (not Missy) but I`m sure I heard it called that once before...

but how could you say that there is no relation? they all look the same!!!!! :D

Nathan Adams
16th May 2002, 03:27 PM
LOL

but angryman is different
angryman is TDR's logo

Consortium
17th May 2002, 09:48 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the replies on this. It was most helpful!

You know, not being a Playstation owner, Wipeout first entered my consciousness when I saw a commercial for Wipeout 3. What really caught my attention was the music, which in turn was my introduction to DJ Sasha.

I only saw that commercial the one time, and I've never found a trace of it since. You'd think it would show up on the web somewhere, at the Playstation site or on tDR's site, but I've never seen it. Consequently, I'm dead curious about it!

One day.... one day...

c.

xEik
20th May 2002, 06:30 PM
Just for the data:
Curly appears in Vostok Island in two places, in the straight in the starting grid, on the left. The other place is just before the last jump, above the track. Curiously Curly is pink there. In WO3 she is green, in 2097 manual she is silver and in the other place where she appears she is blue. Know which place is this? The background in the main selection screen. Even more, if I'm not wrong there's a blue neon of hers in 2097 intro (somewhere near Angryman)