PDA

View Full Version : I think I overdid it.

Synthetic Consciousness
11th May 2002, 09:26 PM
Busted my controller today playing Wip3out...I was in Mega Mall, Venom class, and turning hard left down the spiral loop to avoid an opponent's mines. All of a sudden, I straightened out for no apparent reason, slammed into the mines, and rammed into the wall. All this, and then I was rammed in the back by a Goteki 45. :evil: At least I had shield energy left...would have sucked even worse had I blown up, too. :roll: I forgot the craft had airbrakes. :oops: Anyway, I tested the controller, and I don't feel any tension when I press left on the rocker switch. I'll have to replace it, not that it's a big deal; it was just a generic controller anyway (although the turbo fire came in handy in RayCrisis). I'm using my analog controller in its place for now. Anyone else have any interesting stories to tell while playing? :)

Piranha Advancements
12th May 2002, 01:51 AM
This nearly made me cry.

I was playing some RPG that I can't remember.I wanted to grab a Coke on the table and I still had my grip on the joypad.Pulled the PS done with it and landed on the floor with the lid open.No biggie.But then,it landed on the memory card.Not the licensed Sony cards but those 320 blocks-glitchy-bitchy ones.

I tried to load up my game after that and it read "No Save Data".Uh oh..tried again.Same thing.Went to the memory card screen...all was gone.My God-datas of Ogre Battle,FF7,FF6,Tactics Ogre,Wipe'out times etc.(I had the genres categorized by set pages).All was gone.All was ****ing gone.Damn thousands of total hours hours..all gone..

I blame you Obi-Wan.

infoxicated
12th May 2002, 05:49 PM
I was playing Sensible Soccer on the Amiga, with the original Commodore joystick you got with it. They were pretty crappy sticks, but I couldn't afford to buy another one since I'd just bought the Amiga.

Anyhow, the other team's goalie kicks it out straight to my attacker, and as the defenders rushed to cover the blunder, I thought a swerving shot to the left would beat the keeper. It did, but I also wrenched the stick part of the joystick so hard that it snapped in half and the sharp plastic had gouged my hand.

I was clutching my hand in agony and trying to get the game to pause at the same time. Not that it mattered, as I couldn't play on for another week until I got a replacement stick!

Another time (at band camp) I was playing Sensi-soccer and a large crystal mug thing that I'd got for my 18th managed to walk its way off of the tv due to all the vibration. The thing rebounded off of the M and N key's on the keyboard and cracked them both - also put a crack in itself.

Bit of an expensive game to play, sensible soccer :)

rhys
12th May 2002, 06:02 PM
sensibls soccor...........

oh the memeries :D . i remember my friend had the game (not sure which console) and we used 2 have so much fun on 2 player!!!! 8)

that was one cool game...........

and once, just after i got my ps1. i was leaning on a shelf 2 reach my games, then, the shelf slipped and the STEREO on it fell on the ps1!!!! the stereo wasnt damaged, just the ps1!!!!!!

also, i have been known 2 ram controllers/ps2's/wipeout disks ect into walls when playing zone mode!!! :wink: (jk)

Hellfire_WZ
12th May 2002, 07:27 PM
Half the contents of my room go flying when I play zone! But yeah, I remember Sensible Soccer. I had it on the Megadrive, and I'm sure I broke one of my controllers getting annoyed with it...

My worst offence isn't breaking things, though. When I was playing zone, I managed to get into the 100s with about 10 shield left. I then proceeded to slam into a rock and blow the ship up, wasting about 20 minutes of effort. I threw the controller to the floor and yelled out "DAMN!!!" so loud, I scared the hell out of my parents! Then followed the usual "if you're gonna get annoyed with it then don't play it" speech that I've heard thousands of times over.... :(

rhys
12th May 2002, 07:33 PM
if u took any notice of that speech u couldnt play wipeout!!! :wink:

it is a game that is impossible not 2 get annoyed with.
just imagine finnishing a league drawing for 1st yet still not being counted as first and having 2 do it again. or being 0.1 seconds away from zone 30!!! both have happened 2 me :(

yes, my wall is littered with many a smashed controller :wink:

Nathan Adams
13th May 2002, 01:48 PM
cant remember what game it was - but I remember throwing my old GameBoy (yes - the original brick like one) across the room
you wouldn't know it though by looking at it. not a single dent or bit of damage - just a bit of wear and tear from 9 or so years of gaming.
Damn they were built like tanks back then
i wonder if i could do the same with my GBA....... :-?

Bob Todd
13th May 2002, 03:45 PM
I've played a Dual Shock 2 to death; I was trying to play Fusion with it but it wasn't vibrating properly; just made a really loud buzzy noise and just twitched instead of vibrating. As I continued to play I realised that Square, D-Pad Left and one of the shoulder buttons wasn't working! No idea how it happened though. I dissected it for fun; you can see the results here (http://www.ps2hardcore.co.uk/ubb/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000141) (10th post down).

Several times I've forgotten that controllers will move when vibrating and are not held. A few times my brother and I have put the controller on the table while an FMV (that we've seen before) plays, so that we can go and get ourselves a drink. As a result, there have been a few occasions when the unattended controller has vibrated itself off the table!

My brother once threw a controller in anger. I've been tempted to, but since I'm the one who has to pay for them all (I own all the consoles in the house except my dad's PSX and my brother's Gameboys... I bought the PS2 and te N64 with my own money; had to save up for 11 months to get that PS2 with nada to spend on myself in the meantime... well worth it though) I never have.

And my brother and I have to make sure we wind the controller cables up after play; otherwise the cat trips over the dangling cable and pulls the controller to the floor... probably how the aforementioned Dual Shock 2 met its demise.

And speaking of lost saves, I've lost all my Wip3out data twice simply by accidentally pressing 'save' instead of 'load'! What an eedjit!
Still, thank frog for W3SE's autoload, eh?

Lance
13th May 2002, 05:56 PM
hm, yeah, i lost all my wo3 records once when i was sleepy and running through the startup sequence without paying attention and somehow pressed the WRONG button. really pissed me off at myself, and then felt like cryin, but it turned out ok cos i re-ran the races and beat all my old records!

Synthetic Consciousness
14th May 2002, 09:49 AM
[Nathan:Adams] I've had my GameBoy (also the original big grey one) for almost ten years, and I had dropped it more times than I can count (but always on accident! :oops:), and it still worked fine after all those years. Definately built to last. :) Then, only recently, I lent it to my lazy-ass brother, and when I finally got it back from him, he had put a HUGE, deep scratch all along the width of the screen. :evil: (I should have known better than to trust him, too--he never puts his PlayStation CDs in jewel cases, always leaves them out face down on the table; and even uses them as coasters for his soda cans! :roll:)

Armoredgear7
29th May 2002, 08:45 PM
Hmm.... lets see....

i think about the only bad thing to come from being frustrated with a game with me was that i threw my PSX dual shock to the floor when i lost a match in Armored Core
(the match was for 1st place in the arena and got to the point where it was going in my favor and then my mech was nuked by a cheap shot :evil: )

I think from that, my L2 button didnt work for awhile but it seemed to be alright a week later (in the mean time, i had to relearn the game with the regular PSX controller :-?)

As for losing save data, i saved over my Final Fantasy 7 file - at the end of the game before beating it, my GTA3 file (right at the end too), my original Armored Core file (entire game complete, everything - over 100 missions) and i think thats about all... that i can remember anyway.