PDA

View Full Version : Grim reviews? Not that I've seen

G-Hob
10th February 2002, 01:17 AM
The reviews I've seen of Fusion online and in print have ranged from good to great. Which publications have given it grim reviews, Infoxicated, and what reasons do they give for their low scores? I wonder how much attention the Fusion team pay to the reviews as they appear in print and on the net.

I've seen only good reviews so far. The British PLAY magazine gave it 90% and another British PS2 magazine gave it that too, I think. Cosole Domain scored Fusion 3.5/5 in a fair review that mentioned most of the concerns I had after renting the game. And the 3 reviews so far shown at gamerankings have it averaging 88%.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/4502.asp

JABBERJAW
10th February 2002, 04:42 AM
Did you add in my review( a B) or 85?

Angryman
10th February 2002, 06:35 AM
Hyper magazine (multiplatform including PC) gave fusion a big fat hyper stamp of approval and gave it 93%
Gamespotaustralia gave it 9's

but edge mag. gave it 5 out of 10??

BenjaminSoulé
10th February 2002, 11:39 AM
I give no credits to this magazine review...
You said the game was ranked from good to great !? :eek:
How can you believe this reviewer ? This game is buggy, not finished, I never saw such a poor quality on console... And we'll never be able to download patch to correct it.
Even gameplay is poor, What is the point in everytime downgrade a ship to upgrade the new one, to obtain new pilot to downgrade that ship again...

And this magazines wrote it was a good game ?? I suppose they just know how to keep the game market prosperous.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BenjaminSoulé on 2002-02-10 12:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BenjaminSoulé on 2002-02-10 12:40 ]</font>

infoxicated
10th February 2002, 12:03 PM
The "grim" review I was referring to was The Edge one. Yeah, all the team read the reviews and they do pay attention to them. :smile:

BenjaminSoulé
10th February 2002, 12:14 PM
Fox, I dont understand what is your link with the developer team, I was thinking you were just a wipeout fan. Can you explain me something...

When I worked in Kalisto I saw a game "dark earth 2" with a good original idea being ruined by the publisher whishes and irrational deadlines.
Is it the same for Wipeout Fusion ?
What is the reason for the delay ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BenjaminSoulé on 2002-02-10 13:14 ]</font>

G-Hob
10th February 2002, 09:12 PM
I should have figured it would have been Edge, stuck up wankers that they can be, that gave it such an unfairly low score. They also gave FFX 6/10 I believe, a game that has 47 online reviews at an average of 93.8%. It would be sad if Fusions's sales suffer from Edge's outlier of a opinion. Music and movies also get reviewed but I would think game makers pay more attention to reviews. They seem to be more pointed, more detailed and more important to a game's success.

->BenjaminSoulé
Try not to make such a fool of yourself, dude. It's not one reviewer who thinks Fusion is good to great, it's 6 including the ones Angryman mentioned. Don't be so lame as to suggest because these 6 different game reviwers like a game you obviously don't, that they only rated it highly to help the game market or whtever your wacked out reasoning is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G-Hob on 2002-02-10 22:15 ]</font>

jmoid
10th February 2002, 09:43 PM
the Guardian (UK newspaper) gave it a RAVE review. said it was "easily" the best of all the wipeout games. i was chuffed. more good reviews mean more sales mean more wipeout (and that the studio liverpool guys know their excellent work is appreciated.)

i get the feeling edge have it in for wipeout - they threw in a casual diss about it when reviewing another game a month or so ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jmoid on 2002-02-10 22:44 ]</font>

BenjaminSoulé
10th February 2002, 10:35 PM
I dont wanted to annoy you G-Hob, I played thousand hours on WO1,WO2,WO3 and 19H to WO4 since his release, I'm not one of this conservative player who can't bear evolution in videogame, and talk without trying.

I just look the rating, look the game, and say the review seems a bit subjective...
Look at Fox announcement on the homepage, do you really think a game with 9X % need a paragraph to get on bug subject ? ( and this is a fan page )

science
11th February 2002, 03:32 AM
careful with the dookie flinging. opinions are to be expressed, positive or negative; and sometimes those who learn english as a second language dont always nail the subtleties of grammar and come off sounding more harsh than they mean to.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: science on 2002-02-11 04:33 ]</font>

AmishRobot
11th February 2002, 04:00 AM
Good call, science.

I remember Edge being all over WO3 like it was the second coming. From everything I've read and seen, Fusion is a pretty drastic change. Maybe Edge is bent out of shape over the lack of "purity" with the new one.

With the exception of some nimrods over at the fusion forums (who declared it sucked before it even got released), most of what I've read has really positive. There may be a lot of bugs, but 2097/XL and WO3 were both buggy as hell, and we still love 'em, right?

infoxicated
11th February 2002, 08:26 AM
Maybe my announcement on the home page is being interperated as negative, when it's not intended to be at all.

All I meant to say was that it's not the perfect game - it has wandered away from the concept of Wipeout and there are a few bugs in there. However, it's still loosely based on Wipeout and it is better than many other racing games.

Maybe I'd just spent some time looking at the Fusion forum and they're so down on it there that I felt I had to defend it!

Ben - FYI: http://pub4.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbsfarfromthewip3ingcrowd s.showMessage?topicID=712.topic

Hyper Shadow
11th February 2002, 09:59 AM
Hey, I would just like to announce that I officially love this game and am going to ask for its hand in marriage.

Oh, and reveiws don't matter, all I care about is that when i'm walking through town, every shop that sells computer games have huge f'n Fusion posters and offers. Seems WipEout is being pushed this time, rather than Wip3out, and that is one hell of a god thing!

BurnHead
11th February 2002, 11:08 AM
I think everyone knows my opinion of Fusion... hehehe :grin:
And I like the mags which gave Fusion a good rating... cause this game really deserves it! Hopefully it'll sell well and we'll get an even better sequel (although this will be very hard... :wink:)!

Lance
11th February 2002, 05:46 PM
i'm hoping that if Fusion is very successful, even wildly successful, that Sony doesn't push wipeout5 toward a more circussy non-serious approach. it seems from all your comments that fusion has edged away from the pure racing type of game that the series has been. i like fun and frolic games, but i want there to remain some really hardcore racing titles. the first three wipeouts have provided great satisfaction that way; i would hate to see that disappear.

BurnHead
12th February 2002, 09:07 AM
I don't know why so many people complain about the weapon usage in Fusion...
I mean, if you don't like them or just want to race, then you may disable the weapons!
In former WipEouts you also could disable the weapon grids - but then you could not get a medal anymore. In Fusion you may disable the weapons and the damage simulator and still get medals on all courses in all game modes!

G-Hob
15th February 2002, 12:10 AM
http://www.gamesradar.com gives Fusion 73% and their review seems pretty fair to me, though I think too much focus is put on how "cool" the game is at this point in time vis-a-vis Wipeout games in the mid 90's. The walls in Fusion are far too sticky and annoying, versus the just right walls of 2097 and 3.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G-Hob on 2002-02-15 01:21 ]</font>

infoxicated
15th February 2002, 09:32 AM
I think it's down to technique. Wipeout 3 told us that you could hold down the accelerator and do the whole course by steering and tapping airbrakes.

I've found that the ships stay off the walls and make for more controlled lap if you release the accelerator button on the way in. Much the same as a formula one or other driving games.

There are some corners that are just magnetic, though - like the second one in Alca Vexus or every single one in Vohl Square! :wink:

UncleZeiv
15th February 2002, 10:25 AM
The walls in Fusion are far too sticky and annoying, versus the just right walls of 2097 and 3.

Yes, but consider that ships handle soooo different. When I completed arcade mode it seemed to me that this game was about scraping the walls :smile: but know after some more practice things are getting better a lot. Maybe, I repeat, we have that feeling because we are accostumed to a different ship handling... hundreds of hours spent on 2097 and 3 "hardcoded" a particular handling philosophy in our hands... I guess infox is right when he says we should let that damn 'X' button breathe sometimes... :wink:

Lance
15th February 2002, 09:13 PM
i find that even on WO3, there are a few spots on a couple of circuits where letting off the thrust helps set up the ship for a difficult corner, like just before a pit entrance, for example. i even do it in vector. [which is the one speed level that i'm moderately good at. :grin: ]

G-Hob
18th February 2002, 08:22 AM
Good and interesting points about releasing thrust to help cornering in Fusion. In 2097 and 3 I hold thrust down all race long and use only the airbrakes to slow down, and in my limited time with Fusion I played just the same way. So that would explain some of the problems I had with sticky walls. Cool.

Hyper Shadow
18th February 2002, 10:07 AM
If we are meant to release the acelarator for good handling, why does the zone mode promote constant accelartion and certain taletnts can get very high zone levels and scores????? Somehow I think that the generally permanent accelarator is the way to go, its just the airbrake technique that has to change as the ships fly from the front in this game, rather than from the middle/rear in previous games.

infoxicated
18th February 2002, 12:41 PM
Zone mode is set on certain versions of the courses, though - not the more technical and twisty versions. By all means, if you're doing Mandrashee 3 or Florion Heights 3, keep the gas on the whole way round.

If you try that at Vohl Square, for example, then you're in for a fair amount of grinding - enough for a pretty high score in Tony Hawk's anyway! :wink:

Hyper Shadow
18th February 2002, 01:06 PM
That is true, but I still don't think that it would help much. Or maybe its just my gung-ho racing style?

Confusion
20th February 2002, 03:46 PM
has everybody forgotten that the PS2 controllers buttons are analogue? I've found that certain corners are best taken if you press the button with a certain degree of pressure coresponding to said corner.

You don't need to let go of thrust (in my opinion). Besides, letting go of thrust and using airbrakes really slows the ships dow nat times.