PDA

View Full Version : Gtr

infoxicated
25th April 2006, 02:07 PM
I run in an online racing league - currently five or six of us hit the GTR circuits on Sundays where there's plenty of fun to be had. The man who runs the league has posted the following on another forum by way of introducing new drivers to the Wanker Cup:

As some of you lurkers (you know who you are http://www.trackforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) are aware, Season 1 of The Wanker Cup is rapidly coming to an exciting conclusion. 3 races remain and they will be completed within the next month or so. At the end of the Season we will be taking a bit of a summer break. At that time we will be doing some testing of different handicapping concepts but the basics will remain the same: Endurance racing with an emphasis on FUN. We have alot of laughs and good natured competition. Don't get us wrong...we all want to win, but not at the expense of friendship, fun, or good, clean, racing. So far we've had a Season free from any kind of sanctions needed which says alot for the drivers and their honor. Courteous racing has held station all Season.

With that in mind, we're looking for a few more choice, fun loving, drivers to join the ranks of The Wanker Cup. Ideally we'd like to have about a dozen total consistent drivers. We've discussed adjusting the time a bit to allow some West Coasters to consider joining in the fun, but we will not push out Skid McMarx (European contigent) with time changes as he has become a vital force in TWC competition and has contributed as much (and more) than any founding member. Check out his website at www.wankerracing.org (http://www.wankerracing.org/) to see what we mean.

We race on Sunday mornings, use the FIA-GTR sim and handicap throughout the Season with the goal of producing close, fun, racing. We use the TeamSpeak software to allow real time communication. It's not essential but you'll miss alot of the fun if you don't "tune in". Your system should be fairly powerful and you'll need minimally a DSL connection to the internet. We recommend wheel and pedal control systems as the keyboard and this sim just don't allow for the control necessary for side by side racing. Any of our members can assist in directing you to resources, products, and suggestions, for equipment, upgrading, and driving techniques.

You can sample our group during the testing phase this summer to see if you want to join in for the grueling Season. There may be an evaluation of the new GTR 2 sim with more cars but we will not knock out any current drivers if their equipment can't handle the new sim.
With that, PM any Wanker Cup driver or post here any questions you may have and let us know if you're interested in joining in. We've had a good time and it's a pretty relaxed league...as leagues go. Rules are simple and fun is the priority.

Slade
aka Cam Shaft
I race under the name of Skid McMarx (which nicely exposes my driving style) and I can vouch for the friendliness of the rest of the Wanker Cup drivers. If you're interested, head on over to www.wankerracing.org (http://www.wankerracing.org) and introduce yourself. :)

Lion
26th April 2006, 10:22 AM
I own this game and would like to give large-ish multiplayer a shot, also depending on what times sunday morning you play it may work out well for me too, as it's likely just some time later in my sunday.
my internet connection is 2mbit both ways, but how much impact does ping have on the playability?
I had a look through the forum but I couldn't see a time/timezone other than "sunday morning"

infoxicated
26th April 2006, 12:05 PM
Ooh - that's a fair point.

Bonus for me is that the other guys are american, and they like to get up bright and early and play at 0630, which suits me fine because that's half past 12 and I can have a lion... *ahem* ...a lie in, some brunch, and maybe even some practice before they're on the scene.

For you that's... well.. some time in the future of Sunday that I wouldn't even like to throw a guess at. :)

Lion
26th April 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm GMT+12 so that's about half past midnight monday morning.
damn :(

infoxicated
27th April 2006, 10:01 AM
That is a shame - we're thinking of moving it further into Sunday, but that just makes it further into Sunday night / Monday morning for you. :|

Thruster2097
30th April 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm going to have to pass that opportunity, im afraid.
Only on the grounds that my computer box is very old and slow.

Sounds a great idea.

Mano
5th June 2006, 06:31 PM
I was looking to post this in the previous post about GTR wanker league, but it seems a lot of posts have been erased when the forums got updated.

Well, getting to the point: After i read that post, and after reading a bit in the net about GTR, i decided to give it a try.

So i downloaded the V2 demo.... and the story ends there, im hooked; simulation mode is awesome, i have never played a racing game that makes you feel the track graphically that effectively.

The engine sounds are beautiful, the physics are very good, etc. im pretty sure you already know about that.

Now i have borrowed my cousins logitech nascar wheel with rumble, but im still on the lookout for a driving force pro, and of course, the full game, but i cant find it anywhere in Perú.

Btw i have to try this with a negcon :D but im pretty sure it wont be as effective as a wheel, and the immersion would be less effective as well.

infoxicated
7th June 2006, 01:35 PM
I've read on forums that people are finding GTR hard to get hold of, but I see that it's still readily available on Amazon.co.uk - maybe it's a regional thing. If you like I'll buy it for you here then send it to you, Mano. :)

I think we'll do another season with the original game, as it's not clear when GTR 2 is due out, so it's still worth picking it up if you fancy competing in the Wanker Cup! ;)

Shem
7th June 2006, 03:00 PM
Mano, you shouldn't have said anything GTR yesterday :) Now i'm hooked on it too!!! Rob, you are aware that YOU started all this, right? ;)

infoxicated
7th June 2006, 04:24 PM
It is a great "game" :)

Hardcore, though - I threw away wins or high finishes in our season due to fuel issues. Either something going wrong in the pits or running out of fuel, and that's even beyond the frustration of driving a difficult car.

I like it a lot, but by the end of our season I needed a rest from it I can tell you. :)

Mano
7th June 2006, 11:02 PM
Its amazing trying to control those cars, they are the perfect mix between raw power and fine control. Cant count the times i spun on the tarmac the first tries, since i went straight to simulation mode.

im still in diapers here, but having fun crapping on them every curve! :D

Rob: what hardware are you using to run the game?, are you using a wheel? (since that is most probable, what wheel are you using?)

infoxicated
8th June 2006, 09:14 AM
I'm using a Logitech Driving Force Pro - the Gran Tourimso one, and my PC has an Athlon 2800XP, 2GB of Corsair TwinX memory, and an nVidia 6800GT card. I cant run it at full detail without it struggling, but with all the unnecessary stuff turned off I get a brilliant frame rate and it runs pretty smoothly.

Mano
12th June 2006, 01:50 AM
nice setup Rob, by your description it seems the pc upgrade i was about to do comes just in time.

i can get hold of a used logitech driving force pro, only problem is that wheel has a burnt motherboard (cheetah) so if anyone has a broken logitech driving force pro but the motherboard is ok, can i have it? :D maybe sell for cheap? since its a small item i wouldnt be as troublesome for me to get a decent shipping rate (as opposed to having to import the whole wheel)

q_dmc12
12th June 2006, 01:20 PM
hmm, by the sounds of it this is one of those games that requires a high-end POWER-PC. I have never heard of it and I live in the states, is it grand tourismo as I see GTR?

infoxicated
12th June 2006, 02:34 PM
More info here: http://www.10tacle.com/gtr-game/en/index.php

q_dmc12
12th June 2006, 04:08 PM
Yea, I just meet the requirements with my laptop - are the minimum requirements ok for running the game at full detail?

I have: a Dell Latitude 110L

Windows XP Pro (5.1, build 2600)

Intel Pentium M Processor 1.60GHz

504MB of RAM

on average 150 to 450 MB of Page File used

and currently 1 gig of HDD space free out of 30 but I know I can delete about 800MB or so to free up some space.

:p

Mano
12th June 2006, 09:46 PM
sorry to say your pc will not cut it, it will run like a slideshow even at lower resolutions, i have been running the demo on my cousin´s pc and that desktop is a bit faster than your description, no matter what i turn off or how low resolution i set, it isnt playable, in this game precision is vital, and with low frames per second this game is definitely unplayable.

i have for now (will upgrade next week, hopefully since i really need a faster pc for my university work) an athlonxp 2600+ 512 ram and a radeon 9800pro, the game runs fine, but its only the demo version, probably the retail version is a little bit more demanding.

my recommendation is: download the demo, and try it, if you find it comfortable to play then it might be a better investment to buy the full game.

infoxicated
13th June 2006, 03:39 PM
Make sure you have the latest sound and graphics card drivers installed too - even my machine ran poorly until I upgraded the drivers, then it was silky. (I actually wish I'd done that before I bought the 2Gb of matched pair memory.)

Hellfire_WZ
13th June 2006, 03:47 PM
Spotted a copy of it in PC World yesterday, maybe I'll join you when I get a bit of cash :)

Mano
13th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Rob, do you keep times or other info in the wanker racing page? i was looking for that but couldnt find any. would like to see some races if they are recorded too... i think im going to like this game a lot, and im just playing the demo!

infoxicated
14th June 2006, 09:10 AM
I have the replays from most of our season, I think - I can thrown them together for you.

I'm going to improve the site so that race results and the like can go on there, but at the moment it's summer and I have WipeoutZone to work on. :)

Mano
16th June 2006, 01:16 AM
great!, btw how big are GTR replay files on average?

infoxicated
16th June 2006, 02:35 PM
I have no idea - I guess not that big. Hopefully.

Mano
17th June 2006, 09:12 AM
i was playing the demo and i think a full speed fight for positions in eau rogue would be awesome (not that i could do it in my present condition without splattering myself or the other driver all over the track :D), nevertheless it would do an awesome frame.

Mano
22nd June 2006, 01:12 PM
Got the logitech DFP working perfectly!, i must tell you its a different game, it has improved vastly (impressive, since it was a great game to begin with) .

Now i must get another set of pedals for a clutch or something because i want to try heel-toe downshifting.

damn hardware, now researching deeper i got knowledge of the frexgp mods, awesome but *very* expensive.

Also the specs on the logitech G25 seem great, full pedals, non sequential shift stick, 2 force feedback motors, etc. Dont like big diameter wheels tho.
Its going to be 300 dollars! (maybe i will sell my ps2 hmmmm, and the dfp, and .....)

Does anyone recommend a sim for F1?, or that has racing in that car caliber?