PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Weapon Designation

spinstartshere
9th May 2006, 11:18 AM
I don't know if this is just my dodgy hearing, but sometimes I could swear I hear the weapon that I pick up named incorrectly. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I hearing things?

Smoothly Does It
10th May 2006, 10:11 AM
A few of the weapon pronunciations do sound similar; I don't SR much, but when I do, i often get confused between Mines and another weap that is pronounced similarly (I forget which one.) Might be that it's just an SE thing, but i've never noticed it in all my days with W30.

Can you specify which weapons are being said wrong? Would help solve the mystery... maybe :)

BTW, welcome to the board

spinstartshere
10th May 2006, 10:19 AM
lol thanks. It's not really any weapons in particular, it's just sometimes, very rarely, it sounds to me as though a weapon different to the one I have picked up is named. Although it is just a possibility that I'm hearing things wrong, it just doesn't seem right to mishear something like that. I can't see anything that sounds similar to anything else myself; what sounds similar to you?

Smoothly Does It
10th May 2006, 10:30 AM
Reflector and Plasma I think it was, then i could swear there's something sounds similar to Mines when spoken in-game. Doesn't bother me anyway, I tend to not bother and just launch anything I get anyway, providing it's not the accursed one... Auto-wuss. :brickwall

spinstartshere
10th May 2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, Mines is one that I've heard wrong a few times. I think I heard Rocket a few times, even though they sound nothing alike. And Autopilot isn't that bad I don't think - it's Wipeout Fusion's Autopilot I never use. Once it very literally drove me off the track - it did a 180 and went right off the track.

infoxicated
10th May 2006, 12:43 PM
Lets see if I can help clear this up.

Go to the Downloads area of WipeoutZone (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads.php)

There I've added a zip file containing all of the sound effects used in Wipeout 3 Special Edition. Among my favourites "warning" and "engaged" you'll also find unused ones like "napalm".

Yes, I know it's almost six years since the game came out but we have to kind of ration this stuff or, well, we might just run out of content one day. ;)

spinstartshere
10th May 2006, 12:54 PM
Wow how did u get them off the disc? I thought there were loads more sounds than that used for the game. But with all due respect, I don't understand how that clears anything up. Unless maybe it's all the game sounds on top of the voice that makes it sound like something else to me. Maybe they did help.

infoxicated
10th May 2006, 01:09 PM
I figured you could listen to them individually and figure out which ones were similar to you. Or don't - I'm not the boss of you.

Asayyeah
10th May 2006, 05:02 PM
Thank you very much Rob .
I can now associate W30 sounds to many of pc sounds ( if i can figure out that ;) )
My Fav loop would be to first hear the sound of ' plasma ' and then the voice of ' contender eliminated'

lunar
10th May 2006, 05:25 PM
fantastic Rob, many thanks for this treat. We have Curly too. :D My PC will never be the same again.

eLhabib
10th May 2006, 05:43 PM
O.o this is GREAT! now I'll hear Curly every time I start up my pc at work! ;)

edit: after thoroughly listening to all the WAVs, I have noticed something I never noticed while playing: the announcer, is she spanish? listen to 'contender eliminated' or 'energy drain' for example - that definitely sounds like a spanish accent to me!

spinstartshere
10th May 2006, 05:59 PM
I figured you could listen to them individually and figure out which ones were similar to you. Or don't - I'm not the boss of you.
Oh, well in that case it really helped. When I listen to them without the other noises of the game they all sound very different. It's only when I hear them in the game that they sound different. I picked up Mines earlier today, it sounded like Plasma to me. It probably is just me.

Lion
10th May 2006, 06:42 PM
the announcer, is she spanish? listen to 'contender eliminated' or 'energy drain' for example - that definitely sounds like a spanish accent to me!
I always figured that regardless of where she was from, the way she spoke was deliberately slightly unnatural to help mask where she was from... like the G-Man in halflife

infoxicated
10th May 2006, 08:36 PM
fantastic Rob, many thanks for this treat. We have Curly too. :D My PC will never be the same again.
No worries - I've had them on my PC for a couple of years now. That wall slam for a critical error got old after a while, though - caused me to jump out of my skin!

lunar
10th May 2006, 09:17 PM
yes I`m sure it must have! I fear that sound, and it will not be popping up on my PC ever. It`s the worst, most soul-destroying sound in the world, and is something no wipeout player should ever want to hear. ;)

Smoothly Does It
12th May 2006, 03:23 PM
Woo! Nice one Foxxy, cheers. :D

Moral of the story: Ask lots of questions and Foxxy will share hidden junk with the community!

For what it's worth, the announcer's accent sounds Russian to me.

djb
6th June 2006, 04:20 PM
yeah she sounds russian to me too, also ive never heard the words "flame trail" before!! what is that?? is it a weapon that was never used? or have i just never noticed it for some reason?

username
6th June 2006, 06:31 PM
Lets see if I can help clear this up.

Go to the Downloads area of WipeoutZone (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads.php)

There I've added a zip file containing all of the sound effects used in Wipeout 3 Special Edition. Among my favourites "warning" and "engaged" you'll also find unused ones like "napalm".

Yes, I know it's almost six years since the game came out but we have to kind of ration this stuff or, well, we might just run out of content one day. ;)

wow! ive always wanted these thanks!!!!!

PIRANHA
22nd June 2006, 04:43 PM
...well its true, I've played that game almost 'bout 2000 times now...and I realy hate to say it cuz after all I'm a great W'O'' FAN...
...but why did they put a chicky whicky as an weapon announcer...why not the AMIGA guy of wipe'out2097?!

She's spellin' almost everythin' wrong and sometimes I can't understand what she's talkin 'bout....

its not like, that I don't like the other gender in games...but please take her out...
specialy out of wipe'out!...

....CONTENDER ELIMINATED!
:rock

lunar
22nd June 2006, 05:35 PM
Have to say i don`t agree, but each to his own. I think the Wipeout3 announcer is very classy and stylish in keeping with the whole feel of that game. :)

Really such heresy...... if Drak was still here he`d be posting about villagers with pitchforks and stuff like that. ;)

eLhabib
22nd June 2006, 08:38 PM
Speaking of Drak: where the hell did he vanish to? Tried to reach him several times but no reply...

Asayyeah
25th June 2006, 01:14 AM
get 2 replies of him ( one to wish us a happy new year) and one more recently ( 3 months ago ) in which he said he was focused on WoW.
I hope he can lurck from time to time here and get the mood for a great come back. His good words are missing :)

eLhabib
25th June 2006, 10:09 AM
oh my god, it's worse than I thought... once someone gets too deep into WoW he never comes back. Happened to a friend of mine, he pretty much lost all his social life. ('wanna go for a drink?' - 'no, I can't, we're doing a raid at 9' - 'DUH!') this game swallows people's lives, and for that I despise it.

Sausehuhn
25th June 2006, 10:29 AM
you're damn right, eL.

There're even people (and that's no joke) who say "why live in the real world when I can live in WoW's".
People are playing that game the whole day without doing anything different.
Sure, that isn't true for all WoW-players, but it's a fact that most players are playing that game higher-than-averaged.

Lance
25th June 2006, 06:30 PM
I see nothing wrong with living in a 'fantasy' world instead of the 'real' world.

Asayyeah
25th June 2006, 06:59 PM
i agree Lance , we should be blind & deaf to live 'correctly' in this world sometimes...
But real life has got some good parts , lol when you kick Maxx & Martin's arses into Kai ;) ermmm ok perhaps this isn't true real life but this is funny :D

Sausehuhn
25th June 2006, 07:15 PM
Everyone has it's own opinion, and I agree, we should not be too serious about the "real" life and should never lose our fantasy.
But sitting in front of a monitor the whole day, playing a game that simply has nothing to do with anything real anymore is at least not the way I want to live.

Hahaha, I want to see somebody who can't pay the flatrate anymore because of just playing WoW and doing nothing different. :D

Mobius
25th June 2006, 07:47 PM
I Guess this is the Incorrect World Desgination thread now eh?

Half the staff at my school seem to play it. On of the 6thformers hacked into a teacher's laptop and found all this WoW stuff on there. The kid got suspended for a week for the hacking...which is kinda daft seeing as rioters were only given the afternoon off for...well...a mini riot. :dizzy

Anyway, I kinda try to avoid the WoW stuff, because.

1) I cant afford a subscription
2) I cant afford a computer new enough to run it

But that "planning a raid" seems to interest me...

Anyway...moving on...

Lance
25th June 2006, 08:26 PM
I think this thing went offtopic back on page 1.

And speaking of living in a fantasy world, I just realised that on this board and on one other, I have a total of more than 9000 posts. But this is nothing, last time I looked there was a poster on the Opera browser forums [in the offtopic section] who had more than 30,000 posts.

Asayyeah
26th June 2006, 11:55 AM
here we all are little boys compared to those hard-die posters we can see on particular forums, other exemple into forum of internet music site like digitally imported : few posters crossed the 30000 post barrier with an average of 10000 posts a year ( around 30 posts a day ).

But hey ! large amounts of post doesn't mean the quality is there ;) ( except of course you Lance :) )

Smoothly Does It
28th June 2006, 10:41 AM
30 posts a day, ah those were the days!

I remember my first visit to a forum ended in me posting 100 times in the first two days, which nearly got me banned. It's the novelty value, innit? :rolleyes:

About the flametrail thing, there's also a sound effect named Napalm which is interesting too, would love to have seen that implemented! :pirate

Lance
28th June 2006, 01:16 PM
That poster I mentioned who had over 30,000 posts last time I checked now has over 52,000 posts. yai yai yai.

Asayyeah
28th June 2006, 01:48 PM
the million, the million... :brickwall