PDA

View Full Version : Robot Wars

Synthetic Consciousness
7th May 2002, 12:24 AM
Just in case anyone else was watching Robot Wars on TNN last night...am I the only one who thinks that the contender Techno Trousers looked kinda like a Van-Uber craft? :o Though it handled more like a Qirex: slow, and it's weapon (a hydraulic-powered spear) hardly worked. :lol: (my apologies to any here loyal to Qirex...you damn commie pigs, you. :P)

Thruster2097
7th May 2002, 10:28 AM
now, i`m guessing that you saw that in USA, since it was broadcast on TNN-- so some pics for us europeans would be much appreciated! In our UK version, we had a robot called "robochicken" - the `bot itself was pretty lame, but the back of the thing looked exactly like the front of the wip3out piranha!!!! Likewise, i`ll try and find some pics....

... and I`ve never been a big qirex fan either!

Synthetic Consciousness
7th May 2002, 11:10 AM
I'll try to get a pic. None yet on the site, but the bout was fairly new (and Techno Trousers didn't fare too well...it actually ended up rendering its own weapon useless by bending the speartip against a wall...Qirex, indeed! :lol: ). Once I find a pic, I'll post it. :)

Bob Todd
7th May 2002, 08:29 PM
I used to be a huge Robot Wars fan, but I don't watch it any more; it's all just big flippers nowadays.

Synthetic Consciousness
29th January 2003, 05:57 AM
[Pic:ture+In:fo]:

http://www.robotwarsextreme.com/extreme/intelligence/competitors/competitorpanel.php?id=50

(9 months later...about damn time, no? :P)

jmoid
29th January 2003, 03:52 PM
uk robot wars has actually been ok recently, there have been some quite good robots, but the decent ones always seem to break down or get beaten by some boring flipper type effort.

Lance
29th January 2003, 04:11 PM
the flipper type must be an inherently superior design if it's winning most of the time. sometimes, the basic and simple offers the easiest control and greatest reliability, which may not make it cool, but makes it win. um... like the T-34 russian tank in world war II, or the four-wheeled car with a boxy body. after a century of development the boxy old four-wheeled vehicle is the design that does the job most people need done; so any other type looks cooler because it's uncommon. the unusual is always what will look cool, just because it's unusual and therefore not boring. whether it works well or not is a separate issue.

[climbs down from Ivory Tower of Academia.... eek....
climbs back up.]
[well, actually took the elevator]

Hybrid Divide
30th January 2003, 11:08 PM
Anyone else find the announcer for US Robot wars quite annoying? He sounds like he lost a job announcing professional wrestling. You know the one I'm talking about? Not the one who announces the robots, but the big guy with the beard. He's annoying.

I'd prefer the UK version, as I'm sure they could come up with some better robots than us Americans. There aren't very many smart ones left here.

Anyways, Bio-Hazzard rules. But I don't think he's on anymore... at least I've never seen him on the US version.....

VL

DJ Techno
31st January 2003, 02:51 PM
Our friendly "mad man!" of wrestling!

Mick Folly! (Mankind!) (Cactus Jack!)
I think he is doing a pretty good job announcing! Of course i think he would do an even better job wrestling again. But of course....

Never heard the Uk having Robot Wars!

Synthetic Consciousness
31st January 2003, 03:53 PM
[DJ-Tech:no]

Robot Wars was in origin a UK program, appearing on the BBC (although the original idea for the show was birthed in California). It was hosted by Craig Charles (who played Lister on Red Dwarf). The show was shown domestically (in my area, at least) on Public Television (part of a big weekly block of BBC shows like Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Are You Being Served? and Fawlty Towers--Robot Wars stuck out like a sore thumb--probably why it's regrettably not being shown anymore on KUED). (The New) TNN acquired the rights to show it here in America, and rebuilt the show pretty much from the ground up, adding new effects, a new host (Mick Foley), and the like. Only the house robots remained unchanged.

Sir Killalot ownz you. 8)

infoxicated
31st January 2003, 04:26 PM
Craig Charles was actually the second presenter - he took over in the second series after the horrendously charisma-free Jeremy Clarkson got dropped!

Synthetic Consciousness
31st January 2003, 10:01 PM
You're right...I forgot about that. I stand corrected.

By the way, how's the new season coming along? The new guy on the block (Mr. Psycho) looks interesting.

jmoid
1st February 2003, 02:56 PM
don't get me wrong i'm all for a good flipper (like chaos 2 (http://www.gt-electronics.freeserve.co.uk/c2/) or firestorm (http://www.firestorm2.co.uk/) , it's just that with some of the the robots with flippers seem to have been lazily designed. in the early series' it was axe robots - there seemed to be loads being built with really puny axes - now there are a lot with flippers that don't really flip all that well.

the new season's seen some really good robots (admittedly mostly disc weapons but including one fairly cool walker) that i'd like to see more of. i think they screwed up a bit with mr psycho 'cause i think it's actually a bit bigger than sir kill-a-lot, although the weapon, a giant hammer, doesn't seem to do that much damage. it is a pretty cool robot though - it's funny seeing the competitor bots trying to scuttle out of the way of a great big mallet!