PDA

View Full Version : the Original tournament

piranha wiper
25th April 2006, 04:09 PM
i was thinking at work (yeah i got a job, the worlds gone mad) if any one was interested in doin some form of tournament on the original wipeout.

a few basic rules i though of:

1. all competitors must pm me to register (saves cluttering of the zone and i'll make a list of all the competitors and post them here so we all know who's in)

2. the speed class will be detirmined by a vote, but im guessing that you would all like to do the fastest one.(if u want to vote name the class at the end of your pm when u register)

3. the tournament will be the full championship on the game.

4. the winner will be determined by the amount of total pionts he/she gains through the championship.

5. after competitors have completed each race, make a note of:
position
fastest lap on that race, not the fastest lap you have previously done
lap times (all 3)
race times
and after total completion of the championship; acumulated points

if any body wants to add now is the time, ill give.... untill end of may for all thos wanting to take part to notify me

piranha wiper
30th April 2006, 11:03 PM
old asayyeah is in.

another rulw i thought of today as i was playing, although its more of a vote thing again:

weather fire star is to be used in the championship is on a vote

piranha wiper
14th May 2006, 08:19 PM
Current contestants:

Me
Old asayyeah
Tomahawk
Jospicy

piranha wiper
10th June 2006, 11:49 AM
ok now we have
Me
Old asayyeah
Tomahawk
Jospicy and
Task

Firestar is not to be played, Rapier class has been chosen for the tournament

all contestants will have till the end of this month to finish it (plenty of time)

good luck to all

reminders will go out to all those taking part

Task
16th June 2006, 02:32 AM
A lot of practice on Arridos and Silverstream begins to show. I'm starting to reach my old records, and I can see the possibility of beating them.

Flying as Daniel Chang for AG Systems:

Altima (1st=9) - 59.6 / 58.5 / 58.4 = 2:56.5 - 10 seconds better!
Karbonis (1st=9) - 37.7 / 37.9 / 35.9 = 1:51.5 - New fastest lap!
Terramax (1st=9) - 38.7 / 37.7 / 40.6 = 2:01.0 - 4 seconds better
Korodera (1st=9) - 1:04.4 / 1:01.2 / 59.0 = 3:04.6 - 10 seconds better!
Arridos IV (1st=9) - 55.9 / 56.2 / 59.5 = 2:51.6 - 2 seconds worse
Silverstrm (1st=9) - 46.9 / 43.5 / 43.4 = 2:13.8 - 5 seconds better
Comments:

Totalling 54 points, I'm quite happy with my results.

I've finally "re-found" the straight through the first nasty Silverstream jog on the shortcut, that was what I needed to get in order to take the gold. I'm very close to my best lap time (42.9) for each lap, it's just the troublesome first lap slowing me down.
A blazing race of Karbonis gave me my best ever lap time for that track, that was thrilling.
Marked improvement in all areas except Arridos, which I guess I have no direction to go in but "worse". 8 )
I also finally managed to pull my Altima game out of the trash, but it's still not good enough to compete with Toma. I guess he beats me on that one.

Coming down off the 1st place Silverstream high, I raced some FireStar just for kicks: 46.9 + 43.5 + 43.4 = 2:13.8, possibly the best I've done on that track inside a tournament.

Not much chance I'll be able to race a better set than this.

piranha wiper
16th June 2006, 01:41 PM
nice one, im not sure if its fair to do more than one submition to be honest so if u want u can leavfe that or delete it and start again

Task
17th June 2006, 12:50 AM
Oh, I'll be continually updating it.

Replacing my previous best with my newest best until I cannae improve.

In the end, there will be only one.

Submission, that is. 8 )

piranha wiper
30th June 2006, 03:55 PM
EXTENSION ON THE TIME LIMIT!!!!

ive been busy as..a ... really busy person and i havent found any time so another month is added end of july is final

Tomahawk
1st July 2006, 11:02 AM
Phew! I had hoped, that you'd add another month. I'll add my times as soon as possible. Didn't really have the time to play some Wipeout in the last weeks 'cause of some intense "world-cup watching" and a lot of work to do at my company...:redface:

Asayyeah
2nd July 2006, 01:30 AM
lol same here :)
i had a try last days but lol cannie even finished the whole tournament :frown: .
Need more time to practise , cause Task time are good ones

Go on racing soon :)

Task
4th July 2006, 02:28 PM
Time Extended!

Excellent! Now I'll have a chance to get some _really_ good times in!

I've been away the past couple days, up at the cottage, thinking "damn, this is the last weekend of June and I can't do another WO tournament run!"

piranha wiper
4th July 2006, 03:59 PM
aye well, i need extra time too, i havent even looked at it, im gonna try and get them done on saturday hopefull nothing will get in my way (maybe model cars :D )

piranha wiper
9th July 2006, 08:21 PM
heres my points and positions and times, so far, I WIN!!! lol

altima V 1st 1:04.4 / 1:00.4 / 1:03.6 = 3:11.0

Karbonis 1st 0:40.6 / 0:43.1 / 0:37.3 = 2:01.0

Terramax 1st 0:42.0 / 0:41.1 / 0:43.2 = 2:06.3

Korrodera 1st 1:08.7 / 1:04.6 / 1:07.6 = 3:20.9

Arridos IV 1st 0:57.8 / 1:02.8 / 0:58.9 = 2:59.3

Silvrestream 1st 0:48.3 / 0:49.9 / 0:49.6 = 2:27.8

total points of 54, a few new fastest lap times for me there, not too bad

jospicy
11th July 2006, 07:17 PM
looks like i havn't been the only one who has been rediculously busy... and then ending up the other end of the country from my ps hasn't helped i get home on 20th so i'll have some time to try and batter out some times then

Tomahawk
16th July 2006, 01:04 PM
Did a few time trials during the last week and took another chance on the tournament last night. I must say, I'm very pleased with my improvement. Here we go:

Pilot: Arial Tetsuo
Team: Auricom

Altima - total time: 02:54.4 - 1st place (9 points)
00:59.2 / 00:57.6 / 00:57.6
What a race! I set a new lap record on my second lap and equalled that time on my third! That's the way to start the tournament... :D

Karbonis - total time: 01:57.0 - 1st place (9 points)
00:39.8 / 00:37.9 / 00:39.3
Not my best race on that track, but still an acceptable time I think...

Terramax - total time: 01:58.8 - 1st place (9 points)
00:39.5 / 00:41.8 / 00:37.5
Beat my race record by 1.2 seconds. But not much improvement to my last entry though...

Korodera - total time: 03:25.9 - 1st place (9 points)
01:08.7 / 01:10.4 / 01:06.8
Going just fast enough to place first here.

Arridos - total time: 02:53.9 - 1st place (9 points)
00:57.6 / 00:59.3 / 00:57.0
Missed my best race time only by a second! Good that I played this track so much on 3SE...:rolleyes:

Silverstream - total time: 02:27.1 - 2nd place (7 points)
00:47.4 / 00:49.4 / 00:50.3
This track is giving me nightmares and headaches! :bat I managed to pull off a good first lap, but then my driving became worse and worse. Next time I'll kick your butt Kel Solaar! ;)

Even though I messed up Silverstream again, I'm still pleased with my overall performance I must say. A total of 52 championship points means a respectable showing for me. Maybe I'll have the time to try again next week.

Task
26th July 2006, 08:47 PM
Those are some nice Altima and Terramax times there Tomahawk, I'm not sure I'll be able to get near them.

And damn PW, how do you manage to get 1st on Silverstream with that time? You must have some nifty weapon techniques or something, 'cause being 10 seconds faster than you I'm just barely ahead of the 3rd place guy and can't even see the leader. 8 P

Ah, if I can just get one more good run at it and 3-5 seconds knocked of each time and I'll have some tournament results I can be really proud of...

piranha wiper
26th July 2006, 09:19 PM
its a bit of luck and skill, a turbo start and getting the weapons u need, its not the time its the position u finish :D

Tomahawk
27th July 2006, 11:09 AM
I think the key to placing first on silverstream is a very good first lap. I was in second place after the first lap and even though my second and third lap were slower than my first, the second place AI never overtook me. But I never even saw the leader during my race...

By the way, what routes do you guys take on silverstream? For me, I'm always going left at every track split.

Task
27th July 2006, 03:48 PM
8 D The eternal question! "Which splits to you use on Silverstream?"

It comes up any time WO1 is discussed.

I'm fairly unusual it seems, I do two right splits until the end, where I take the left. Of course.

The middle split is usually to the right, most people prefer the way it lines you up for the important left split after, so you're a little unusual there.

So the most common path is Left, Right, Left.
You're Left, Left, Left.
I'm Right, Right, Left.

All we're missing is a Right, Left, Left! 8 )

piranha wiper
27th July 2006, 03:52 PM
from the start i go left, the follow the track until the next split after that big hill then take a right, then the split directly after that i go left again just because its more of a straight line to follow instead goin 90 degrees in a different direction, this is a good tip for any track with a split then followed again by another (ie arridos and silverstream) its fastest to follow the track, for example if i were to take a left on the first split i would go straight ahead and take the right on the second split, just something there for you all to think about

Lance
27th July 2006, 06:55 PM
So the most common path is Left, Right, Left.
You're Left, Left, Left.
I'm Right, Right, Left.

All we're missing is a Right, Left, Left! 8 )

And:
right, right, right
left, right, right
left, left, right
right, left, right

eLhabib
28th July 2006, 12:19 PM
LOL

yes, Lance, thank you.

;)

piranha wiper
28th July 2006, 02:36 PM
lol :clap: yeah there u go all 6 or seven combinations, one of them may actually be the best combination thus forth taking plenty full mount of time off your lap, i may have to experiment this

Task
28th July 2006, 02:59 PM
I'm afraid that in actual fact, people who go right on the final split are about as common as gunners in jeeps.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/11/10

This level of rarity (approaching "mythical") leads me to dismiss the entire subset from the realm of possibility.

Lance
28th July 2006, 05:42 PM
PW, there are eight possibilities. Starting from the initial left or right branch, each route then has a two-place binary selection, giving maximum 4 choices. So if you really really really want to, you can go right at the last selection point. As Jay says, possible, but mythical. I wonder if Arnaud will ever make it legendary. :o

Asayyeah
29th July 2006, 11:40 AM
i probably may find my boundaries on that challenge... and i can tell you it's not a legendary stuff i did for it... i am far, really far from the 3 top guys here. :frown:

Please tell me if you close your challenge at the beginning of next week PW

piranha wiper
29th July 2006, 11:50 AM
how long do u need?

Asayyeah
30th July 2006, 01:11 PM
No need to give me extra time, i just can't handle wipeout ( hopefully i finished the challenge...at least :paperbag )
Here's my result :

Altima (1st=9) - 1.01.7 / 1.00.0 / 59.6 = 3.01.3
Karbonis (1st=9) - 40.2 / 39.2 / 38.6 = 1.58.0
Terramax (1st=9) - 42.2 / 41.2 / 39.8 = 2.03.2
Korodera (1st=9) - 1.09.5 / 1.05.0 / 1:08.5 = 3.23.0
Arridos IV (1st=9) - 1.00.1 / 59.8 / 57.6 = 2.57.5
Silverstream (2nd=7) - 50.2 / 50.8 / 51.0 = 2.32.0

52 pts

Now i need to find time in future to practise & compete into the next WZ tables for wipeout :D

Task
30th July 2006, 07:57 PM
Those are fine times Arnaud, they're just not up to your usual "Wipeout Domination!" standards, is all. 8 )

Hey, what craft are y'all flying? I've got an AG-Sys, Toma is in an Auricom..
You two wouldn't happen to be in a FEISAR and a Qirex wouldja? 8 D

Oh, and Toma: I took your Terramax record. 8 )

piranha wiper
31st July 2006, 03:50 PM
i be in a the AG with daniel chang, howcome no one else can get first place on silverstream?

edit: i reckon the left right left and the right left right combinations would work best

Task
1st August 2006, 02:59 AM
Whatchyou talking 'bout Willis? I've got a 1st place in Silverstream! I had to beat your time by 14 seconds, but I barely managed a 1st place.

Right, Left, Right? On Silverstream? Are we talking about the same course? I don't imagine that any path through Silverstream that ends with a right at the final split could be called "fast".

Although, if you can fly a fast lap (you know, 40 seconds or so) doing a Right, Left, Right then I'd definitely like to hear about it! That would challenge (nay, destroy!) most (if not all) of my preconceptions about the whole track.

piranha wiper
1st August 2006, 03:34 PM
ok fair enough i forgot u were editing your old post.

im gonna try a few different ways around silvertream see what happens

so now that me and you have both the same points what now?

Tomahawk
1st August 2006, 06:32 PM
Wow, seems there's a lot been going on here since my last visit. :)

Congratulations to your great times, Task! Awesome race time you got there on Karbonis! :clap What do you mean, you've taken my Terramax record? Ahem, and please, if you shorten my name, just call me Tom. Toma somehow just doesn't sound correct to me...

And Arnaud, your times are quite good, too! If you didn't put that much time into the tournament, that makes them even better, I'd say. I had to spend nearly a whole evening, just to get into the airbreaking techniques of the game again. I think the handling of the craft in the original WO differs widely from the handling in the later versions.

I enjoyed to compete against you all and play the original WO under "tournament conditions".Who won the tournament now? Did PW win because he was the first achieving 54 points in total? Or is Task the winner because he has faster times? Or did both place first? :?

Task
2nd August 2006, 01:11 AM
so now that me and you have both the same points what now?

8 D I assumed you had plans for this eventuality already in mind!

Something along the lines of:
Most number of 1st place finishes wins
IF (there's a tie) THEN Most number of points wins
IF (there's a tie) THEN Lowest total race time wins
IF (there's a tie) THEN Throw up your hands and call it a damn tie already

But it's your tournament, so it's your rules. Theoretically you could decide that the winner is decided by alphabetical ordering of our names, but if you were planning that kind of thing you likely would've mentioned it in the first post. 8 )

I had a great time, so I think we all win. Except the spicy guy who forfeited. 8 )

Tom: I made a typo in my times entry. If you look at my lap times, they don't add up to the final time.
That final time is from the previous posting, when I edited I somehow didn't enter a new race time there.
It should be:
38.7 + 37.4 + 40.6 = 1:56.7

That's the only time I missed like that. All my other edits I successfully altered everything.

I have, in the past, managed a 1:54.6 (with a 36.9 best lap) so that was a pretty good fly of it for me.

Asayyeah
4th August 2006, 04:32 PM
i used Daniel Chang AG like PW :)

I must reckon you all have impressive times on this challenge, congratulations to the winners ( PW for his 1st rank at silverstream; Task for all the times entered, and tom for his amazing Altima race time! )

Thanks again to PW for this cool challenge :+

Tomahawk
8th August 2006, 10:59 AM
Tom: I made a typo in my times entry. If you look at my lap times, they don't add up to the final time.
That final time is from the previous posting, when I edited I somehow didn't enter a new race time there.
It should be:
38.7 + 37.4 + 40.6 = 1:56.7

That's the only time I missed like that. All my other edits I successfully altered everything.

I have, in the past, managed a 1:54.6 (with a 36.9 best lap) so that was a pretty good fly of it for me.

Ahh, I see. I didn't sum up your lap times and only looked at the race times you entered. Great time! I got mine down as far as 1:57.6 when I was playing the game last week, but this time is still far away from a perfect race...:frown:

piranha wiper
11th August 2006, 01:23 PM
well erm, we could add up all of our times and see what the total time is, best out of that wins? but it looks like task has won it anyway, i did 2 practise runs before i got my final winnings, task did a bit more but thats ok, and thank you all for taking part and glad u had a good time

Asayyeah
11th August 2006, 03:54 PM
this is the end...all my friends... the end... :guitar

A challenge is ended but a lot of new ones will soon appear over here :hyper