PDA

View Full Version : PC and PSone versions

Renegäde
8th April 2006, 08:24 PM
How much better is the PC version of 2097 compared to the Playstation version graphically? Ive been playing it alot lately and im wondering if its worth the hassle of buying it online and stuff. Also is there any other advantages to owning either version?

Thanks.

Lion
9th April 2006, 02:12 AM
the PC version doesn't like modern operating systems and computers, you'd be far better off just playing the PSX version in a program like epsxe
sad but true :(

Mano
9th April 2006, 04:28 PM
I second Lion´s recommendation.

Also using Pete´s plugins with epsxe, you can graphically enhance the game to a considerable extent (resolution, textures, effects, etc.)

Renegäde
9th April 2006, 05:01 PM
Hmm sounds kool but I havent got a monkeys about that kinda stuff. Is there a guide for dummys on it somewhere that someone has the link to?

gbit
10th April 2006, 11:49 PM
www.ngemu.com is an excellent site for all things console emulation.

You'll find everything you'll ever need there, and it has a forum where you'll also see answers to most common questions.

edit: And yes, emulating the psx versions on pc is the best and easiest way to play on a modern pc. But, if you have access to (or can acquire) say a Pentium 166Mhz with 32MB RAM and a Voodoo 2 graphics card, then the PC versions will offer better textures and higher resolutions than the psx versions, and will actually run at normal speeds :D. Playing w'o"2097 at 77fps is *quite* a handful!

Lion
11th April 2006, 10:23 AM
actually any pc with any form of voodoo card would do, there's an environmental variable that sets the synching on 3dfx cards. I think it's SST SWAP_EN_WAIT_ON_VSYNC=n, where n is a number. 0 = vsync disabled, 1 = vsync enabled, numbers higher = render each frame for n screen draws. so for example that value at 2, with refresh at 60Hz would make for 30FPS, as would that value at 3, running 90Hz
if this is making sense to you then good, and consider it an option ;) but realistically noone still runs 3dfx cards and I think those options only worked on the 9x versions of windows anyway... and the last one of those came out over 5 years ago and is probably only still run by Lance :P (no offence, but you've said you still run WinMe)

it's just a pity that options with that effect no longer exist, if they did still exist on current gen cards/drivers then it would be possible to run 2097 on a modern PC unmodified

that's quite possibly the geekiest post I have made on these forums

Mano
11th April 2006, 03:34 PM
The good thing about voodoo (and voodoo II) cards iirc is that you can choose to use it or not since it still needs a primary video card (software bypasses directly to voodoo card when chosen by supported software). And you can make more than one partition on your hard drive and install another version of windows.

then you can have your wipeout pc and your regular pc all in one box. In this case any banshee variant or version is not recommendable as it works as a primary video card.

Lion: your post is not geeky at all, i consider the part of the enviromental variable quite informative.

Lion
11th April 2006, 07:31 PM
rush, banshee or voodoo3,4,5 all act as primary display cards
it's only the 1 and 2 that were dedicated 3d cards

Renegäde
11th April 2006, 10:54 PM
Ok thanks for the replys guys, Ive managed to get it running and very smoothly too and im pretty proud of myself actually :D

I bought a high end laptop just over a year ago for running MMORPG's and the graphics look very smart running 2097 although I am having some sound problems at the moment. I cant really be bothered to fiddle about with it right now but thanks again for the responses.

infoxicated
12th April 2006, 08:58 AM
Holey crap!

I cant believe I never thought of that before... my PC would be far too fast for running 2097, but it would probably run perfectly on my laptop. Might need to try that. :)

AmigoJack
20th April 2006, 10:32 AM
a Voodoo 2 graphics cardyay! i still love my voodoo² - the acceleration feature is still a good thing :) however, my tower itself is too fast for 2097... its just a pain that this version was programmed according to processor cycles instead of realtime :( even using slowdown or any other things doesnt really solve the problem.

but for those who ask why to catch an original: the music is all from tim CoLD SToRAGE wright - additional tracks of course. only the sega saturn version should include even more (but that has been too long in the past, i might be false on this fact)