PDA

View Full Version : what the PS3 will cost.

Lance
5th April 2006, 11:57 PM
excerpts from an article at Ars Technica:

''...the PlayStation 3 will sell for between ?499 and ?599.

Strict currency translation suggests that American pricing may be in the range of US $605 to $726, but currency exchange alone can't tell the story.

...the console may arrive in North America for US $499 to $599. This would easily make the PS3 the most expensive console on the market, with Microsoft's two next-gen systems coming in at $399 and $299. To round out the scene, recall that Nintendo is looking to launch the Revolution for less than $300.

...the days of multi-console ownership may be coming to an end for many gamers. Or, perhaps not.

...but with most observers expecting inexpensive games on top of a fairly priced console, Nintendo may reap dividends for its strategy.''

Mano
6th April 2006, 06:42 AM
Similar things were said when PS2 was about to be launched iirc...

Hellfire_WZ
6th April 2006, 08:03 AM
The number of features they're planning on incorporating in this thing I can't see it being released for less than £300 on launch.

*AAAAGGGGHHH......*

Hear that? That's the sound of my wallet jumping out the window.

JABBERJAW
6th April 2006, 01:00 PM
MY guess will be 399. 499 will allow microsoft to catch up, considering they will probably lower their price when ps3 comes out

lunar
7th April 2006, 09:29 AM
whatever it costs, if there`s a wipeout game for it then Sony have got my money. There`s no point fighting it. Fortunately the wife wants to spend more than a PS3 could possibly cost on a new fireplace, and all that does is sit in the corner and make red colours. But she knows she can`t protest about PS3 expenditure if she`s going to spend so much money on a device that only does one thing. :hyper

Personally, I think the PS3 is going to set new records for home-console price points. the PS3 is going to have to be every bit as good as it`s reputed to be, to justify this.

username
7th April 2006, 10:47 AM
i think that it wil also be very expensive, but if it has a wipeout game for it then i must have it no matter how much it costs...

Asayyeah
8th April 2006, 09:37 PM
sad but true username & Stephen: The day wipeout PS3 is released i gonna have the call of my worried banker :o .

stin
9th April 2006, 12:06 AM
I`m not too sure of a price but according to them just to be realistic as about £400 range and I will get one anyway BUT in a long term for that price!

stevie:)

Mano
9th April 2006, 12:11 AM
Like i said all those things were said before the PS2 launch... lets hope PS3 continues the traditional 300-250 USD price.

As you can see, that strategy works to generate hype.

eLhabib
9th April 2006, 01:23 AM
in an official statement from a french sony representative (can't remember the name) it was said clearly that the PS3 will weigh in at below 500 euro, but well above the competition (xbox360 399 euro), so I would expect a prize around 459 euros or so.

stin
9th April 2006, 07:57 AM
Well that less than I do expected the adjusted price and we will find out anyway.

stevie:)

username
9th April 2006, 10:20 AM
i think that it will be worth the price though. can the ps3 read blu-ray disks? and what are these. all i know about them is that it uses a blue laser and that you can store more data on to one ore disk, but is that all it is and are there any other features?

eLhabib
9th April 2006, 11:58 AM
some short facts about the PS3:

-can read Blu-Ray (far more storage and way faster than DVD), DVD, and Dual-Layer DVD

-comes with a 60GB Hard Drive

-will be fully backwards compatible to PS1 and PS2

-will be able to communicate with the PSP, not only for games, but also you can use the PSP as a remote. If you are on vacation, sitting in a café with wlan, you can go online with your PSP and tell your PS3 to record a movie at home. The other way around, you can, in that same café on vacation, watch a movie you have saved on your PS3's harddrive ON YOUR PSP! now THAT'S what I call a nice feature!

Asayyeah
9th April 2006, 03:07 PM
great feature El, where did you find that cool info?

stin
9th April 2006, 04:48 PM
yeah I wanna know too and to me it`s so hard to believe they can do that! :o

stevie:o

eLhabib
9th April 2006, 10:27 PM
sorry to sound cryptical here, but "I can't tell you my exact source" ;) it's NOT official, but working for an Austrian gaming magazine (www[dot]gamingxp[dot]com) you get to meet people and hear things...

Sausehuhn
11th April 2006, 03:59 PM
or just take a look at pages like www.ps3updates.com , there you will get nearly all new infos about the console (and alot of crap as well) :)

Mano
15th April 2006, 06:01 AM
See: once the hype is built and running you twist your stories to get back on the competitive price point issue ;)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/700/700432p1.html

history is repeating itself, the signs are the same as the previous time, usually marketing works with tried formulas.

*btw is that guy really small or is that PS2 box huge ;)

SMThomas
21st April 2006, 09:51 AM
Yep, it's likely that a PS3 could be priced over £300 due to its hardware (including Blu-Ray Disc Drive).

Anyway, That feature involving a PSP setting home recordings on PS3 online is 'revolutionly' amazing!!!

Mobius
21st April 2006, 02:31 PM
As much as I like fact that the PS3 will be online, have a blu-ray player, kick ass graphics and can solve world poverty...I'm still not intrestred. It looks like a silver breville toaster and is plastered with that Spiderman font...

Wipeout will be the onyl thin that saves the day - and mabey ut2007...

DJ Techno
21st April 2006, 06:03 PM
Well for the money contigous (im not sayin it right)

the price of $500-$600, yeah say house note, car (depends u drive 300 chrysler or civic), credit card bill (who doesn't have one).

well i haven't what the new ps3 gonna look like.

and probably just to imagine-its a lot thinner with more kinks.

What is this BLu Ray disk?

Rapier Racer
27th April 2006, 11:24 PM
Either HD DVD or Blu Ray is gonna take over from DVD I think it’s just a bigger capacity disk which means you get better sound and picture quality than DVD ooooo ahhhhhh as if your really going to notice. So why am I bothering collecting the Simpsons on DVD I doubt the final season will even have been released when this new and totally unnecessary rip off crap comes along to take over, costs me more money per disk and renders my DVD players useless. I can see the advantage for gaming since the disks are larger and that’s it.

It looks like a silver breville toaster and is plastered with that Spiderman font...

lol it also comes in black

SMThomas
28th April 2006, 04:09 PM
and white!

Wonder if it comes in red, blue, yellow, etc. like those PS2's that comes in different colours years ago? (but priced £280 and only in online shops :frown:, it wasn't until late 2003 that the silver PS2 is in the shops).

Zerow
1st May 2006, 11:16 PM
PS3 will be available in black, white, and silver colours from launch, I believe. I don't like the thought of a red or yellow PS3, to be honest.

Spaceboy Gajo
6th May 2006, 06:55 AM
^^^

Except if you're Ferrari :)

As for me, I'm going to wait and see the titles after launch to pick one up. So far nothing is jumping at me. However a PS3 Wipeout title would do the trick ;)

lunar
9th May 2006, 08:58 AM
http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=7a9fe5f6-eeb3-4433-971b-dd0aa2402a5e&k=30988

there we have it: November release, US$499 for PS3 with 20 gb hard disk, US$599 for 60gb. I wonder what these prices will translate to in the UK.
Lot of money, but it seems you can use your PSP as a rear view mirror for racing games. :dizzy

also the cheaper model is missing other things than 40gb of disk. http://www.gaming-age.com/event/2006/e3/8-25

Asayyeah
9th May 2006, 09:02 PM
i ve seen that Sony has revealed his new controller , looks like an old ps2 pad but working like the system of the Nintendo Wii revolution : wireless and 6 moving in space.

Zerow
9th May 2006, 11:32 PM
I reckon that there is only going to be a difference of about £50 between the 20GB PS3 and the 60GB one. In which case, you might as well splash out on the 60GB one, as the difference in price is not that much, and like lunar pointed out, the 20GB one is missing more than just 40GB.

jospicy
12th May 2006, 02:55 PM
get all the details of PS3 here:
http://www.vgpro.com/file/15560_e306_sonypc_trim_800k.wmv.html
the E3 press conference....
i doubt that the prices they have stated there will drop by much
(if you search through the downloads on the site all of the 3 big press conferences are in there along with some very nice looking game demos - FFXIII:o)

Sausehuhn
12th May 2006, 06:13 PM
watched 3/4 of the conference and to me it looked a bit boring. Maybe I missed the best parts but I've got this feeling I didn't.
Trailer looked good though, as always - because they're rendered. Screenshots looked bad or at leats like 360. Which is no bad graphic but imo we could expect more when Sony is saying "we put billions of dollars into a special chip to get the PS3's power".
Imo the whole PS3 thing was far too much hyped and in the end it didn't turn out that well...

eLhabib
13th May 2006, 10:09 AM
eeeerm, did you see the ingame play action of 'Heavenly Sword'? To die for! That's true next-gen right there for you! Then that awesome card-game featuring the eye-toy cam? sweet stuff!
anyway, whoever is planning on getting a PS3 (and I know I will) better look into getting the more expensive version, because the cheaper one is not only missing 40 gigs of HDD space, but also the card reader, the wireless lan, and the HDMI support. O.o

Lion
13th May 2006, 10:52 AM
don't forget: no wireless lan = no interconnection with the PSP

Sausehuhn
13th May 2006, 10:58 AM
...and no shiny "PLAYSTATION 3" on it... with that awful, ugly, horrible, crappy, shitty, daffy, stupid, silly, [insert several other words here] Spiderman-Font.

BAH! :brickwall

eLhabib
13th May 2006, 11:57 AM
that font is indeed a decision I can not understand at all. shouldn't a logo be something that stands out, something unique? when I first saw that PS3 logo font on last year's E3, I was absolutely sure it was just a placeholder for the 'real' logo font, but as it seems, they really went with that... worst choice ever IMHO.

Zerow
13th May 2006, 11:32 PM
I don't think the decision to put the PlayStation 3 logo in Spiderman 2 font is that bad, but it might indeed have been better if they opted for a slightly altered version of the PS2/PSP font.

eLhabib
14th May 2006, 11:35 AM
the point is, you simply don't brand something THAT important with a font that's already been used for something else. a logo branding has to be ORIGINAL, and this one definitely isn't.

Sausehuhn
14th May 2006, 11:49 AM
agree 100% eL.
At least they could have used the PS2-Font again. That weren't something new, but it would fit to the PS2's and PSP's style.

Lion
14th May 2006, 11:51 AM
I have that font on my machine, it's called "1979" and I got it off a CD that came with my first PC in 1997 :P

I keep reading about people bitching about the price of the PS3. but it works out to be a bit over $1000NZ, and that's about where the PS2 started at. to me that seems like a completely normal starting price range.

Thruster2097
14th May 2006, 02:37 PM
very true. it seems perfectly reasonable price for the new playstation. Quite simply I think the world expected to be shafted over this one so everyone collectivley expected the worst. I'm still having to sell my 360 to justify purchasing a ps3 but thats no real hardship seeing that there are no more half-decent 360 games due for at least the next year, possibly ever.

Needless to say I'm overjoyed that the boomerang controller has been ditched in favour of something useable.
Still havent got a clue about how the "interconnectivity" will truly work apart from a mention somewhere on this thread that you can use it as a rear view in racing games....which just plain baffles me. I mean why would anyone want to look behind them when the whole object of the game is to travel forwards very quickly? And theres the complications of holding the PSP and a controller at the same time which just isnt posible without some kind of amish forehead attachment....but its a nice long word so it deserves a mention.

And who cares what it looks like? Are we really all that shallow that we as a people cannot see inner beauty anymore? you should be a) ashamed and b) looking at the telly screen pictures, NOT the box! :D

eLhabib
14th May 2006, 03:16 PM
hehe, true that, but hey, the looks ARE important on selling a system. You'd be surprised HOW important they really are!
as for the PSP rear mirror: I've seen it in action on the E3 Sony press conference, and yes, of course it's just a gimmick, but hey, a very cool one indeed!

Lion
14th May 2006, 07:51 PM
the rear view mirror was just a proof of concept anyway.
imagine it containing your inventory in an RPG, or being part of a minigame like the multiplayer pacman that came out a while back on gamecube (required a GBA hooked up)

there's room for a lot of ideas there. but not having wireless in the cheap ps3 means that their implimentation will be hugely limited :(

eLhabib
14th May 2006, 10:04 PM
yes, unfortunately it can only be implemented as an optional feature...