PDA

View Full Version : robbed

Lion
28th March 2006, 12:19 AM
dammit, I got robbed again, no kai for me for a while as this time they took the PSP, brilliant :(

also means I have to earn a few of my medals over again, which sucks. but it's not as bad as it could have been, I backed up the savedata folder a couple weeks ago, and this time I am insured :P

it's definitely the same people, last time they took all my psp games, this time they took all the cases (including the case for the new streetfighter game, but the UMD is sitting beside me)

Task
28th March 2006, 12:27 AM
... You know doors have locks on 'em, right? 8 )

Seriously though, you should do something to make it more difficult for people to steal your stuff. Did you get the cops to fingerprint and all that?

Lion
28th March 2006, 01:01 AM
last time the cops got a full handprint off the windowsill, this time they got in by breaking the glass and popping the latch rather than just forcing a window open.
ironically the locksmith dude was scheduled to come round this afternoon to put deadbolts on all the windows but we got robbed about 3-5 hours early for that :(
I'm sitting home and waiting to hear from the burglary investigation unit

edit: cheers to whoever moved this to the off-topic forum :)

Lance
28th March 2006, 05:07 AM
i'm thinkin the robbers and the locksmith are working together.

Mano
28th March 2006, 06:19 AM
Coming from a Country were thieves and other criminals are common i can only say i hate the bastards, they take stuff that people work their ass for, so its only fair we take their ass in pay.

I was robbed twice in my childhood, first time was a watch second time, err, another watch. So i said this **** needs a solution; unluckily for me, as a child i didnt use to talk about this kind of problems and started carrying a knife, luckily i never had to use it (only once i got it out and the thief ran away, for both our fortunes) then i grew up and those problems went away. Its kind of sad and dangerous in a country were sometimes aggression is the only way to solve this (police is of little help and most are corrupt, though now with more policewomen there are less corrupt persons in the force, but needless to say, thieves are very disrespectful if they notice they can strike back if the woman doesnt look strong).

I had to defend myself a couple of times after my adolescense, both to my favor and both with unarmed thieves, though i dont recommend that and if the guy is armed just let him/her have the money and go beat the crap out of the nearest punching bag ;)

My Father and his neighboors used to have sort of a watch group since police did little to stop robberies around his town; they got a thief once,so the neighboors dug a hole in the park and buried the bastard leaving only his head out to breathe until the police came, well hehehe, to rescue him... bad thing is they got really angry and beat the crap out of the thief before putting him on the hole.

If the robberies are often then set up a camera with motion detection and an alarm system, i asume that could be a good deterrant/solution in a country where officers of the law and security are more effective than Peruvian ones, (just hide the camera so they dont steal it); start hiding your valuables, or put them in a safe. Dont let anyone know your daily schedule nor if you are going out on vacations or for the weekend (if you can get a friend or someone you can trust to come to your house to check things often when you are not there that could be good too). Watch dogs and such i recommend but only if you are planning to take care of the pet like if its part of the family, its not good to have a pet suffer just to have it take care of something.

My dog wouldnt even bark if she sees a burglar, probably she would wag her tail and try to play lol (she is old too), family life has probably erased any trace of guarding instinct she may have had.

Shem
28th March 2006, 06:41 AM
Damn, i feel sorry for you Lion, that kind of **** happens everywhere, tho. The only thing to do is to secure yourself from these idiots, which you hopefully were waiting for (i'm thinking there's some connection between the burglars and the locksmith too....).

From me, i've never been robbed (I was close to being robbed), well maybe once when i was a kid and left my BMX downstairs, and some idiot took the spongey-guard off of the frame of the BMX (it was really nice...) :)
What i'm thinking is that what robbers expect the most from people they rob is that these people will give everything away in a blink of an eye - no hesitation, no resistance, full co-operation, just not to get hurt. From my experiance, what is working the best is being Fonzi-cool, and if the guy starts to freak out because you say 'no!', then YOU start to be the BAD guy, and tend to get that guy's ass kicked. Belive it or not, but these guys are wussies and they will get scared, that's not what they are expecting I guess. I know it sounds cheap, but hey, it worked for me! ..... and be cool.

stin
28th March 2006, 07:55 AM
These guys are F****** Cowards!!!!. Honestly me and my family did feel for you.
Seriously I didn`t know there is a connection between them but I hope police catch these scums!

Leon, check every pawn shop you can find to look for your stuff.

Years ago, a burglar did tried to break in but could not do it but eventually did caught him due finger prints and other things.

[This is off topic.]

I`m a carpentry and joinery, I used to be on standby(thank god no more for me for personal reasons) I was called out to break in in a no-go area, when I`d arrived. This guy was waiting for me but I had to ask his identity to make sure it`s proof enough then I did proceeded after that he did signed my paper so I can get paid. Now the next day as I was told a tenant could not get in and he had to break in himself and all his stuff was stolen!
I was so ashamed myself ever since but my bosses did say to me even the police says it was legit!
Luckily this guy did caught and went to jail.

stevie

Smoothly Does It
28th March 2006, 08:14 AM
Feel for you Leon, if you were british I'd suggest you keep a stiff upper lip :) Guess all you can do is wait for the cops to come back to you with whatever they can find.

Interesting story Stevie, guess there was no way you could have known better, no use in beating yourself up about it (out of curiosity, how long ago was that? many years or nor long ago?)

Lion
28th March 2006, 08:35 AM
thanks everyone for your concern :)
the warmth of this community is a constant surprise to me

as to what I had taken, I am annoyed at having lost a few golds and ghosts but everything else is easily replaced and covered by my policy

the weird thing here is that this isn't meant to be a particularly bad neighbourhood, we just had little/no security in place and a spate of bad luck.
we have better security now (window bolts, but a few hours too late) so hopefully it's less likely to happen again.
our guess is that this visit they expected us to have had everything replaced by insurance, but I didn't have insurance the first time round, and my flatmates' insurance company is being slow in paying out.

the thing that annoys me most is the cheekiness of taking the psp games last time, and collecting the empty cases this time. obviously they proved too hard to fence without the cases :\

lunar
28th March 2006, 08:53 AM
that`s the thing about burglars, I`ve known a few of them, you should never underestimate the bravery that results (probably) from their overall dumbness. I wouldn`t be too surprised if they came back for the Streetfighter UMD. They will do things that us law-abiding citizens would simply write off as too risky. I feel sorry for you Lion, losing your PSP is a shocker. If you want to set a trap, you could try advertising in the wanted section of your local paper for an empty box for a Streetfighter UMD, and see if these guys can earn themselves an entry in the next edition of the Darwin Awards.

Smoothly Does It
28th March 2006, 09:13 AM
Darwin Awards LMAO :p Deserving it would be too

eLhabib
28th March 2006, 09:31 AM
LOL now that would be a killer!

Lion, I feel for you mate, and I am surprised how cool you take all that. I think I would be pissed as all hell. Oh and I also think that there might be a connection between the burglars and the locksmith, things like that don't just happen by chance...

To share a story, I got robbed once, violently, in the subway. I was on the escalator when someone asked me for a cigarette from behind. I turned around and next thing I knew was having a fist thrown in my face that knocked the teeth on my jaw in, short blackout included. After that I was so perplexed, that I just stood there and did everything they wanted. they were three teenagers, all younger than me, and if I had wanted to, I could have easily kicked their asses, but that first punch got me. Heck, one of those guys tried to kick me karate-style, and I somehow caught his foot in the air and held it at the height of my shoulder - he would have been an easy target for a kick in the family jewels, but I was so dizzy I just put his foot down again! Proves that as much as you think you can control a situation because of knowing a fighting style (Jeet Kune Do in my case), if you get into a situation for the first time, you will still be lost because it catches you by surprise.
One other day, years later I was walking on the pavement, and three guys from the other side of the road crossed over to my side, clearly looking to rob me. One guy started running in my direction with a small knife in his hands, but this time it didn't scare me anymore, seeing as again they were all younger than me again (and you know these kind of little 'gangstas', thinking they are big if they rob someone), so I just stood there and waited for him to reach me. So when he reached me, he dared to stab me and wanted my money, but I simply said no. Seeing as he obviously didn't dare stabbing me anyway, he put away his knife and tried punching me. Luckily this time my nerves were with me and I dodged and hit his stomach. Must have been pretty hard because he went down, and the other two started running :D felt better than the first time, I tell you!

Piranha5p33d5
28th March 2006, 10:00 AM
Im really sorry to hear about that Leon. Im thankful you have insurance to cover your back. I agree.. thieves are absolute cowards. Atleast Street Fighter survived ;)

eLhabib, who teaches JKD in your area?

eLhabib
28th March 2006, 10:20 AM
I started it when I was in the US for a year, and then back in Vienna I had a hard time finding a trainer for it, but eventually got lucky over personal contacts. So I've got private lessons :D

Smoothly Does It
28th March 2006, 10:57 AM
lol El, those Kung Fu Pixies annoy the hell out of me, had two of them all over me a while back threatening to hit me with a metal pole (probably thought I was helpless as I had come oout of tesco with three bags of shopping) still, just took the metal bar off them and they got all whingey, asking for the pole back lol. Thiefs and 'ya getting 'ard eh!?' "gangsters" are wimps and will only act hard until they know you're harder than them, even if they have got friends around, still blows majorly that you have to put up with this **** in the first place. All you parents on the board: teach your kids better! ;)

Asayyeah
28th March 2006, 11:23 AM
Damn Leon, i feel sorry for you mate.
As Martin said congrats for how you can take that situation ( maybe because it was your 2nd time in a short period or with your new insurance covered all the stuff )

Personal anecdote when i lived in south america few years ago : i ve bought an old small car ( less than 200$ !! )waiting for my companie they provide me a car. i never closed it and let it easily on the road which was near the beach ( only because i thought nobodies wanna run this shitty car ) ...but... right after a 1 week holidays in France i came back to Cayenne and noticed that my car was away , i thought : damn ! the burglar was courageous to risk his life driving that sort of car, :) the day after i was awaking by 2 cops asking me if i was the owner of the car : i said yes and was happy they find my car but lol things became weird when they asked me to follow them at the cop district : they informed me that my car was being fished out from the sea with the body of a homeless who had been burned alive into the back chest of my car. Hopefully i was in france at that time and not being suspected and they finally catch up the 2 people who did that.

lunar
28th March 2006, 11:51 AM
Blimey. Top that.....:o

eLhabib
28th March 2006, 01:01 PM
Jeeze. I guess you don't get a thrill from watching CSI anymore, huh? ;)

Smoothly Does It
28th March 2006, 01:14 PM
Ahem, was that thrill and CSI in the same sentence? :dizzy

eLhabib
28th March 2006, 01:20 PM
alright, maybe not a THRILL, but I have to say I really enjoy watching CSI.

Smoothly Does It
28th March 2006, 02:01 PM
Each to their own as they say, never could stand more than 10 minutes of it at a time myself, but there's gotta be someone who likes it, that's why it's on :rolleyes:

P.S. I do apologise for hijacking this thread

Sausehuhn
28th March 2006, 03:57 PM
Damn, I feel sorry for you Lion.

Hopefully the police gets these bastards.
maybe they will come again, that could be the moment where to get them.

Good luck :/

Lion
28th March 2006, 06:34 PM
if you get into a situation for the first time, you will still be lost because it catches you by surprise.you hit the nail on the head with that statement.
last year I had 2 car accidents, (neither my fault) and the first one I was basically in shock, but the second one I was simply very angry.
same sorta thing with the recent burglaries.
first one I was a little angry and a little depressed about the whole situation, but this time I'm finding myself fairly blazé about the whole thing. that might be to a large extent because I am insured this time, but mostly I think it's because I have experienced this before, and know how to deal with it.
I just get annoyed at the cheekiness of coming back for the cases, and am frustrated that I can't play pure for a while :P

eLhabib
29th March 2006, 10:23 AM
Just the thought that your purE will from now on most likely be played by someone who isn't even half as good would freak me out ;)