PDA

View Full Version : Hardest game yet or what?

DB3000GT
12th March 2006, 01:30 AM
In my opinion, WP is the hardest... i still cant beat Flash without running out of shields yet lol!

What do you guys think makes WP harder then any of the others?

Factors that make it hard for me:
1. Small PSP screen.
2. Air-breaks are much tougher to master.
3. ANALOG CONTROL STICK IS RETARDED! LOL.
4. D-Pad controls and Wipeout should have never met except on Playstation where they actually function better.

Lion
12th March 2006, 07:07 AM
I disagree with you..
I have never managed a phantom gold in the earlier wipeouts. (I have a silver on vostok island though, but even that took a LOT of attempts with a neGcon)
by comparison I have phantom golds on all the single races and most of the tournaments in the US version of pure (getting there slowly but surely)

though that could be that pure has a more complete learning curve than the earlier wipeouts?

I still find the original wipeout to be the hardest, it is SO unforgiving, and the tracks seem much narrower than the sequels

DB3000GT
12th March 2006, 07:13 AM
Haha were kinda opposite then game series wise, Im good at the older ones (although i concider Wipeout the second hardest, as Rapier and Silverstream are evil lol). I guess it depends on what your preference is.

edit by Lance: unnecessary quote of immediately previous post eliminated. please read the guidelines.

gbit
12th March 2006, 07:19 AM
I would say that the d-pad on the psp is especially good, but yeah the analog stick takes a bit to get used to. But one easy way of beating flash if you have a shield problem is to use a ship with large shields ( if I recall one would be the triakis?) and make sure to keep to a clean racing line. I would say the best way is to fly as cleanly as possible, avoiding the way of the a.i. ships (which have at times brought psp-flinging thoughts into my mind :)).

The hardest w'o" for me was 2097, but it was the first I had played, and was quite revolutionary compared to the racers I had previously played (what with starting in last place and fighting your way to p1, piloting skill being a requirement etc)

As they say, practice makes for rapier class!

Lion
12th March 2006, 08:40 AM
in pure I found Tigron an easy way to plough through flash
it didn't really matter what you used in vector or venom
I'm still getting used to phantom though, and as a result am still mostly using AG Systems

PS: DB3000GT, as your post directly follows mine to which you were replying, you do not need to quote it. sorry if I sound condescending, but please take a quick look at the posting guidelines

infoxicated
12th March 2006, 12:10 PM
Here's an embarrasing fact - I haven't even opened Phantom yet.:redface:

I opened it with a preview version of the US game, but since I got my PSP in September and started playing the Euro version I just haven't made enough progress to unock it. It's mostly due to Citta Nuova - I do anything to avoid playing that track, and since I'd have to play it to open Phantom I just haven't made the effort.

I don't think I've ever hated any track in any racing game as much as I do that one - if I could take a hot needle and etch it out of my UMD I would have done it already.

Sausehuhn
12th March 2006, 12:20 PM
:o you're kidding, right?!

Ok, Rob, I had not expect that ^^

Try Citta Nuova in Free Play mode, race more than 30 laps in a row and I bet you will know the track a lot better. You should also try to do the track with different ships maybe.
For me Citta Nuova has definitely the chance to become a real classic, like Manor Top or Gare D'Europa. It's so thrilling on Phantom :rolleyes:

Airrider
12th March 2006, 12:46 PM
Citta Nuova IS really hard, but the track's a great way to quickly get yourself acquainted with tight corners. If there was ever a track that forced you to re-think any cheap strategies that didn't rely on real racing, this is it.

stin
12th March 2006, 01:33 PM
Foxy, you thought Citta Nuova hard? try to compare with Sebenco Peak????

Be patience maan!!! you will get there in the end! with Phantom level!;)

stevie:)

infoxicated
12th March 2006, 02:00 PM
It's just not for me, I'm afraid - I liked the original version with the jumps on the now long, boring straights. But after poly reduction the track just became imbalanced and should either have had a couple of hundred metres lopped off of it or the technical sections spread out more evenly along the length of it.

As it stands, I know the track was abandoned in a half assed state and there are plenty of other, better ones to race on. To compare Citta Nuova to Manortop is just heaping praise where none is due - Manortop has a flow and a rhythm to it - Citta Nuova has a technical section that so half-assedly done that the track furniture can stop your progress.

I have nothing against technical tracks - Manortop ranks as my favourite, but Shitta Nuova is and probably always will be my lowest ranked track.

JABBERJAW
12th March 2006, 02:05 PM
agreed

Sausehuhn
12th March 2006, 02:24 PM
There're just people who hate the track or love it - I think there's nothing in between :rolleyes:

Rob, you really have to try that track with no end; from the time when you got you're gold medal you will learn to enjoy the track :)

lunar
12th March 2006, 02:26 PM
Good point, Rob, and nice insights to the origin of the track. Learning to fly Citta Nuova smoothly is just a matter of bloody-mindedness, imo, and the challenge of learning to pull off some insane moves in order to get a fast time. But Seb Peak and Ubermall are examples of great technical tracks, the Citta is just too messy.

Apart from Wipeout 1, I think Pure probably is the hardest yet to complete, though this is mainly because of the aggressive AI and the tight TT times on Gamma and Delta. It depends on what you mean by "hard." Wip3out is easier to win AI races in, but harder to look good at, with its harsher walls and generally less forgiving nature.

Lion
12th March 2006, 05:22 PM
I still find citta nuova hard, and I neither love it nor hate it, but I find sebenco peak harder

I appreciate citta nuova fora couple of reasons though...

-it forced me to learn how to incorporate nose up/down in my racing, which I probably wouldn't really use otherwise

-it taught me to time use of the auto pilot, you can't enter the snakey bit with the AP active, but it's ok as long as you pass the billboard at the entry before you activate it

wooyay
12th March 2006, 08:13 PM
-it taught me to time use of the auto pilot, you can't enter the snakey bit with the AP active, but it's ok as long as you pass the billboard at the entry before you activate it

One day I'll learn that... The other day I used an auto pilot by mistake just before the billboard. Within the five seconds the auto pilot is active it managed to bounce me head first into the billboard which sent me off the track backwards then after being returned to the track (still under auto pilot control) it launched me at 90 degrees to the apex of that same corner, sending me off again... :brickwall

stin
12th March 2006, 09:08 PM
LOL! that is exactly what happened to me!! so I decided not to use AP ever since!

stevie :)

DB3000GT
12th March 2006, 10:00 PM
in pure I found Tigron an easy way to plough through flash
it didn't really matter what you used in vector or venom
I'm still getting used to phantom though, and as a result am still mostly using AG Systems

PS: DB3000GT, as your post directly follows mine to which you were replying, you do not need to quote it. sorry if I sound condescending, but please take a quick look at the posting guidelines

Oops, thats kinda a habit of mine, sorry about that lol. Though yea i usually use Tigron in Pure. You wonder what made them re-concider Piranha being the classic unlockable and best team this time.

xEik
13th March 2006, 09:36 AM
Here's an embarrasing fact - I haven't even opened Phantom yet.:redface:

I find it more shocking than embarrassing. ;)

That's what happens when the admin of a wipeout fansite spends more time playing Madden than WO. :rolleyes:

:p

JABBERJAW
14th March 2006, 12:54 AM
I think most difficult has to be a combination of how hard it is to beat, and how hard it is not to hit a wall. My order would be this

1) Wipeout 1 most difficult
2) Wipeout Pure
3) Wipeout 64---damn that one challenge on machaon
4) Wipeout 3-- Turbo management hard at first and wall bouncing bizzareness
5) Wipeout Fusion -- zone on some of the tracks were a little difficult, and some tracks are really hard to stay off the walls
6) Wipeout Xl -- Not very hard to beat, but when you first play the phantom challenge it is tough, until you find a steering wheel or negcon

No, I haven't played all the way through the other 60 versions, when I do, I'll find this post lance :)

Omni Requiem
14th March 2006, 01:45 AM
I agree with that list, although I'd place Fusion 3rd and 64 in 4th.
Are we looking at the racing conditions or the amount to complete in each game because although WipEout was hard to control, there wasn't much to unlock. Vice-versa with Fusion.

Asayyeah
14th March 2006, 11:48 AM
i 100% agree with the list of Al : Wipeout 1 even with a negcon was maybe twice difficult than pure. The others ( 64, 3, 3se, fusion, XL )are pretty easy

guinness
14th March 2006, 08:52 PM
I find W:P to be one of the easier Wipeout games, without the Negcon, Wipeout is probably the hardest, XL is the easiest, and Wipeout 3 somewhere in between of those.

Having said that, the only thing I dislike about Pure is the AI once you reach faster classes like Flash and Phantom (I just unlocked Phantom the other day, and I've had the game for almost a year) is that it no longer becames as much about racing the best, but more about luck, and outlasting the other racers. 90% of the time, the speed boost doesn't help at the start of the race, as the CPU just blows by you regardless. Still love the game though, especially the download packs, hate Citta Nova.

I've found Van Uber to the best balanced ship for me, sweet handling, decent amount of shields. Doesn't blow up with 2 hits like the Zone ship.

Smoothly Does It
15th March 2006, 09:40 AM
I found pure to be difficult because where older WOs lean towards one form of piloting (being smooth, heavy braking etc.) for winning, pure leans towards blowing the **** out of everything in sight for winning... Yeah, oh and on that (sounds kinda like a rant, no? lol) has anyone else ever blasted another ship with something and found themselves confused (thanks to the over zealous explosion effects) as to whether or not they actually hit? That's kinda getting to me ATM.

But yeah, WOP is difficult because I'm more used to racing games than shoot 'em ups ;)

Lion
15th March 2006, 09:44 AM
I'm just getting angrier every time I get hit with a disruptor. the revcon effect is race over for me most of the time. as even with an ap handy, the AP will time out before the disruptor wears off (twice tonight in classic/phantom tour on karbonis)

Smoothly Does It
15th March 2006, 09:56 AM
Agreed, revcon, boo!

Asayyeah
15th March 2006, 05:09 PM
i remember Sebemco peak using AP near the tricky S section and get hit by Lunar or El's disruptor then the AP bloked me into the wall go directly reverse .
My worst ' souvenir ' :robot

Crusader
2nd April 2006, 07:10 AM
I would definately agree with Zoo's list. It's pretty dead-on.

However, the particular way I've always played WO is to get gold medals on all courses, tracks, and challenges, and then focus strictly on TT. TT's are the bread and butter of WO for me personally. Because of that, no wipeout is particularly "harder" than another. It's all about shaving that tenth of a second off of your last lap record. That is the real challenge. ;)

Zerow
18th April 2006, 10:51 PM
I personally don't think Pure is that hard. In fact, I think it's one of the easiest WipEout's to date. The only parts that I have struggled slightly to conquer are Khara Descent in Time Trial mode, and the Omega league tracks in Time Trial mode as well. Everything else is a breeze for me, including Phantom class and Zone mode.

infoxicated
18th April 2006, 10:57 PM
I think it has its moments - some tracks are more of a challenge than others at different speed classes. Occasionally you arrive at the worst case scenario for that track and it can seem very hard indeed, especially if you're using the default ships. Once you move into the downloaded ships that are faster it kind of removes some of the challenge.

Dominator
21st April 2006, 09:55 AM
Agreed, Wipeout Original was for me by far the hardest (Silverstream) :brickwall Totally unforgiving!!!! But Pure comes a close second, Citta & C Peak can really ruin a good session, they can really piss me off. Finished all races and tournaments (Euro), only TT's left, halfway through Rapier then Phantom :D

comeonfhqwhgads
23rd April 2006, 03:56 AM
I don't like Citta Nuova- it always ruins a good session. the only thing worse is Manor Top. i don't know where that thing came from, but the likeliest option is probably hades itself. :bomb

example: i'm doing an ascension tournament earlier today (in Flash, using Assegai). i place first on everything but Citta Nuova, on which i catch a plasma the first lap, a missle that sends me into a bomb that sends me off the track on the second lap, and lose several seconds on the third lap when i catch a disruptor that reverses controls just in the middle of the zigzag section. On the fourth lap i manage to get back up to second place, and i have a plasma at the ready for when the leader comes into view... i come around a bend and have a pretty good shot, which i take... but the leader has a shield up. and is flying Tigron anyway, so it wouldn't have done much. i end up placing third.

:cold

DJ Techno
23rd April 2006, 05:38 AM
In my opinion, WP is the hardest... i still cant beat Flash without running out of shields yet lol!

What do you guys think makes WP harder then any of the others?

Factors that make it hard for me:
1. Small PSP screen.
2. Air-breaks are much tougher to master.
3. ANALOG CONTROL STICK IS RETARDED! LOL.
4. D-Pad controls and Wipeout should have never met except on Playstation where they actually function better.

Thats what i figure....people say its "its hard to play"
1. your eyes can't stand the high velocity and speed
2. U Couldn't master braking
3. funny!!!
4. The orignal wipeout was d-pad. whats the problem...

crunchysaviour
23rd April 2006, 11:29 AM
I have only played Pure for a minute or two in a shop. However I consider W'O" to be the hardest! The ships just aren't fast enough, and when you get hit by a weapon everyone just overtakes you. And the acceleration is too low, making tracks like Silverstream utterly impossible. Alas, alack, etc.

The W'O" tracks on WO3SE, however, now there's quality!!