PDA

View Full Version : 3se in ePSXe

Lion
11th March 2006, 10:48 AM
I was going to post this in this thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3066) but it's all shots from SE

I've just installed ePSXe again recently and I'm amazed at how pretty the game looks... it's much nicer than I remember, and flatmates who have seen it were shocked to find out it is a PS1 game

an eyecandy shot from talons reach: click (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_tr_01.png)
messing about on a prototype course: click (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_p01_01.png)
my first real attempt at making real progress on a version of w3o: click (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_menu_01.png)
and the classic league too: click (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_menu_02.png)
some w3o courses:
Porto Kora (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_pk_01.png)
Mega Mall (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_mm_01.png)
Manor Top (http://pages.quicksilver.net.nz/lion/images/3se_mt_01.png)

now my 3se is an iso until I can find a copy to buy (I am winning an auction for one as we speak) and my w3o disc is at a friend's place at the moment. can someone please tell me how much of an enhancement this is over the original game on playstation? in my memory it seems like on PSX it is a lot more washed out and didn't look nearly as good

edit: Hooray! I won the auction

eLhabib
11th March 2006, 11:39 AM
Well, the most obvious improvement is fully functional anti-aliasing, which the PS1 simply couldn't do, so now the edges are all clean and smooth. Also, the colors seem a lot more saturated here, making it look more like 2097 than w3o actually.
But why is the picture stretched to widescreen?

Lion
11th March 2006, 12:01 PM
I ticked the box to NOT make it adjust to my aspect ratio.
I have no idea why it's got the widescreen bars

and that's without AA, it's just the higher res hides the jaggies

username
11th March 2006, 12:08 PM
looks good lion ;) (i just have to get wo3:se now)
did you do print screen to get theese images by the way?

Lion
11th March 2006, 12:28 PM
printscreen, then pasted in an image editor

Sausehuhn
11th March 2006, 12:44 PM
just used another of Pete's plugins and now it works fine even with the highest settings :)

Proof (http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/WipEoutZone/images/wip3out-se-runs-on-pc.jpg)

stin
11th March 2006, 12:45 PM
The amount of work you put in and it`s looks great.

stevie:)

EDIT; WOW!! even better resolution!! Sausehuhn!

CR4SH3D
17th March 2006, 01:22 PM
Can someone maybe post there .iso somewhere, I DO have a copy on cd, but It doesn’t work in epsxe, and ive tried most the settings in my thread, maybe someone could torrent it?

infoxicated
17th March 2006, 01:44 PM
Or don't.

This site isn't the place to be distributing copyrighted material.

Sausehuhn
17th March 2006, 06:00 PM
you can make your own iso when you've the game.
There're programs to do so.
I made an image-file and now boot Wip3out SE from my hard drive.

Lion
22nd March 2006, 03:36 AM
sweet :D I got my copy today, so now I can start trying for tables times :P

Mano
22nd March 2006, 04:47 AM
Remember: times for the tables MUST be made on a Playstation or a Playstation2, emulators are not allowed, and this is the main reason i bought a PS again (a while ago)

Lion
22nd March 2006, 07:37 AM
that's the reason I've been trying to find the game.. I've only had the iso for 2+ years (hired it and ripped) but this is the first time I've seen 3se for sale at a time when i've had money in the whole of that period
I have a handful of updated times for 2097 that I already need to add to the tables. still not competitive, but better than what is there from me :P

the purchase of 3se means I now have legit discs of 1 (psx and dos), 2097 (psx, windows, and mac), 3, 3se, fusion (with media kit), pure us, and will buy pure eu again when I can afford it.
and I have a psone with a neGcon for the first few :)

Thermoptic
23rd March 2006, 06:57 PM
Nice screenshots! Can you tell me what video plugin you are using for the ePSXe emulator and what settings to get that nice smooth look of wo3:se?

i have set maximum on the smoothing effect and a high resolution, but it just get all blurry.

would be great if you could post a screenshot of your settings in ePSXe. thanks!

Sausehuhn
23rd March 2006, 07:21 PM
ok, here it is:

click me (http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/WipEoutZone/images/epsxe-video-settings.jpg)

maybe it's not the perfect setting, but it works fine for me. I can mostly set all things to maximum and it works even with my old GeForce4.
Good luck :)

Thermoptic
23rd March 2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks Sausehuhn! The config settings works great with Petes PSX D3D plugin. Runs smooth too.
Heres one image with the settings Image 01 (http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1687/wo3se017cw.jpg)

Edit:
Just wanted to add a couple of before and after screens:

Default min settings with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.2 Screen (http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5267/epsxebefore5yt.jpg)
Sausehuhn's max settings with Pete's PSX D3D Screen (http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2908/epsxeafter6hu.jpg)

Smoothly Does It
23rd March 2006, 11:33 PM
That Mighty Q's looking mighty nice, Mmm! :hyper

gbit
27th March 2006, 11:22 PM
I downloaded an iso of it a long while back (living in north america made buying it near impossible), but now I finally found a legal (pressed, sealed)copy on ebay! It cost $20 CAD, but a game like wo3se deserves to be owned.

Lion
28th March 2006, 12:19 AM
and there's that whole warm fuzzy of legality too :P

gbit
28th March 2006, 10:51 PM
Well I'm still playing my legal copy of wo3se with a playstation bios acquired from a friend :D. I'm hopeless....but I did buy a psp just to play w'o" pure, so that must count for something.

Oh and a back on topic tip: I have a 17" lcd that does 1280x1024, so what I do is play in windowed mode, with the window being 1280x720. Then inside of wo3se, set widescreen correction [under the options > video menu] to 'on'. 16x9 widescreen (at 720p no less) gives the game an entirely new level of immersion. Throw in some 4x antialiasing and 16x anisotropic filtering, and the game looks brilliant! Too bad you still get 'texture swimming'.

AmigoJack
1st April 2006, 07:12 AM
speaking of this, has someone tried to create an iso out of W3SE and replace the audio tracks with custom ones? im not quite sure if its rather an easy job, or if i can rather quickly destroy an essential filesystem structure on the disc when trying to achieve this. also thought about changing some in-game text's - just for the fun of it :) but i consider doing that as being possible without damaging anything, because its a matter of pure hex editing...

Sausehuhn
1st April 2006, 08:20 AM
the music does not want to play for a reason. So you could change the tracks if you want to, but there were no difference because you can't listen to them anyway.
It's a solution to run a player like Winamp in the background and make your own playlist there. The Emulator doesn't slow down if your copmputer isn't that bad (my PC is 4 years old and I can still play the emulator with all setting set to maximum, running winamp, icq and msn in the background and there're no slwodowns)

Lion
1st April 2006, 09:49 AM
there are workarounds to the muxic thing.
if it's an iso, mount it with daemon tools 3.x and turn on analogue audio at the tray icon (not possible in 4.x :()
if it's the actual CD, plug in an analogue audio lead on your drive

AmigoJack
25th April 2006, 02:05 PM
right now i realized you must have thinking i was talking about playing a "music remix"ed disc with the emu. nope, i want to stick the disc into my PS2 :) i suspect its rather an impossible piece of work, since it would ruin essential image structures when i would touch it in any image editor...

but theres quite a workaround for this: setting music volume to 0 and let my comp play the music :) that also wont stop the track when i switch between racing and menu. i could list a charming list of what would be a good musical alternative, but a week back i listened to mauro picottos "superclub" and thats very pushing. whoevers enchanted by mauros prior two albums should definitly give this a try

Asayyeah
26th April 2006, 12:08 AM
Funny enough , i found in love with one of his track called 'Pulsar' definitely present into my wipeout playlist (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3206)
N° 149 ;)

Lion
26th April 2006, 10:31 AM
that's not by any chance a cover of the old 80s track (Puls[t]ar) by any chance? it was also done by scooter on the stadium techno experience

Asayyeah
26th April 2006, 08:51 PM
About Pulsar , i don't really know it's a track i ve collected into an old techno compilation bought ages ago.

RamZes
6th May 2006, 08:10 PM
Hi, I can't get this game. Could anybody give me link to this game, if it exist?

Asayyeah
7th May 2006, 03:04 AM
Hi Ramzes , if you mean by ' i can't get that game ' a W3O or W3O SE ( special edition ) for PC , they don't exist.
In other hand if you want that we find you a link about W3OSE for playstation 1 : i can give you this from ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/WipEout-3-Special-Edition-PSone-PS2_W0QQitemZ8779760193QQcategoryZ18571QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem)
May you can ask him if he can post you to russia ?

RamZes
12th May 2006, 03:57 PM
I'm already have XL version. I want to play in 3rd version, but I have a problem with it cause it's impossible to find this game in my country.
Could you record game on blank cd and send by mail to me, if it possible? I give you my address.

eLhabib
12th May 2006, 05:31 PM
LOL? you're kidding, right? does the term 'piracy' ring any bells?

RamZes
15th May 2006, 08:39 AM
In my country one disc cost about 2$ :o) Only piracy copy. But I have only 1 disc with black surface, that I buy in 1996 year. Now it's impossible to find licensed games ((( So I can't find w3o.

Law impotent in my country (((

RamZes
16th May 2006, 08:08 PM
...total ignore (((... nobody can't help me? useless forum (((

Lance
16th May 2006, 09:15 PM
they're not ignoring you. you're asking for a pirate copy of a copyrighted game, and the laws in our country are not impotent. we could be prosecuted.

gbit
1st June 2006, 12:40 AM
www.google.com

Its amazingly easy (now is that a good or a bad thing?).

Turbovec
22nd May 2007, 03:45 AM
I'm having problems with trying to get this game to work on ePSXe. I managed to make an ISO out of WO3SE and it'll get to the "Sony Entertainment of Europe" screen, then after that, it just gives me a black screen. Can anyone help me out. Feel free to contact me on AIM too (JohnnyGGXX666), I'd appreciate it.

username
18th June 2007, 10:52 AM
I am currently looking for a copy of 3se, however now that the 90s are over im out of luck! i dont like ebay very much, and places like play.com, and amazon dont sell it any more. i also need a fresh copy of 2097 as well

DaWorFizm
19th November 2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, many years since I've played this fantastic game!
Disappointed to learn I wont be able to submit any scores from this version
but I've got it going well on my rig anyway. - It's great with the arcade stick!
dwf_epsxe_wo3se_0000.jpg (http://dwf.homeip.net/daworfizm/videogames/gameshots/wipeout/dwf_epsxe_wo3se_0000.jpg)

Using "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.8" with these settings:
http://dwf.homeip.net/daworfizm/videogames/gameshots/wipeout/dwf_epsxe_wo3se_gfx.jpg
It looks like this:
dwf_epsxe_wo3se_0001.jpg (http://dwf.homeip.net/daworfizm/videogames/gameshots/wipeout/dwf_epsxe_wo3se_0001.jpg)

Anyone interested in playing a few games online through Kaillera with me, PM or MSN (daworfizm@hotmail.com)

Asayyeah
19th November 2007, 01:09 PM
Wellcome to the board DaWorFizm. :)
Thx for infos , pics look great :+

I edited your set-up picture cause it was way too large to download for few of our members ( please check the rules from the forum : image max size = 50 kb )

phl0w
19th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Nice, if only my 3se copy was working :(
Unfortunately 2097 and 3 don't look as good.
Btw, your screenshot shows 54.9fps. However, if I remember correctly 3se's physics are supposed to run @50fps. So locking at 50 would be right, not 200.

DaWorFizm
21st November 2007, 04:33 AM
Well spotted phl0w! - yes, I play at 75 fps most of time as that's what I'm used to for Wipeout2097 on PC(v-sync forced), I choose 55fps for epsxe because it is inbetween PAL and NSTC, all this does is help me switch between versions a bit more smoothly as 50fps feels incredibley slow for me since I found WOXL PC version.

Also increasing the FPS is just like having classes after phantom, which is extremely hard at 75fps, but when u play like that and drop down to normal speeds, you find the game is quite easy.

- what exactly isn't working about your copy, maybe I can help?

DaWorFizm
23rd November 2007, 08:06 AM
Does anyone know how to reverse the up/down analogue controls in ePSXe?

Lion
24th November 2007, 07:36 PM
in the controller config you assign an axis to each analogue direction. simply assign a different direction in there. eg: use X- instead of X+ for a direction

DaWorFizm
25th November 2007, 02:19 AM
My version (1.6.0) doesn't have that option, The only emu. I can configure/reverse the analogue axis in is pSX, but that doesn't support petes openGL2 driver.

What version have you got?

username
3rd December 2007, 03:15 PM
Could someone please give me a link to where i can download the version of Epsxe used for this. I already have a bios file.

I use one version of epsxe, illl look at it tonight and find out what version, but when i use it with wip3out it crashes as soon as you go over the first blue beam!

Many thanks!
Dan

CR4SH3D
19th December 2007, 08:59 PM
i have that same version and it used to do that for me but it worked the other day from teh cd

Wip3ou7
24th May 2008, 09:29 PM
I have a rip of WO3:SE and it works beautifully, HOWEVER, I can't seem to get the music to play in the game... all the sound effects work fine, but no music during any part of the game other than the intro movie. And yes, the music tracks are included in the rip that I have... I've even tried mounting the game to a virtual CDROM and still no luck.

Xavier
30th May 2008, 03:38 PM
Any of you emulating the PSX on a Mac, or is everyone a Windows user? Just curious as I might be getting a new Macbook Pro soon and wouldn't mind playing some games on it, even if I have to boot into Windows.

Darkdrium777
30th May 2008, 05:38 PM
I use psxfin, if ePSX doesn't work you may want to try that other one. It doesn't require "pain in the ***" plugins too.

Mano
10th June 2008, 04:21 AM
Wip3ou7: try the new epsxe ver 1.7.0 reason music doesnt work is because the emu didnt support cdda audio, this new version does, but you have to use sapu cd drive plugin.

the hot thing in this version is NEGCON SUPPORT!!!!, and just in time, cause i tried playing on an lcd tv, and the lag sucks, on a crt monitor the speed is ok.

however negcon support is still buggy and has a deadzone, they are fixing this and will probably be ok in the next version.

taurus
18th June 2008, 12:09 PM
Hi all,
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm trying to get W3SE to work in epsxe with my negcon but when I can't press "X" to launch the game or access any menu. I setup all axis and buttons properly on ePSXe's gamepad setup and I can confirm they are all working through Windows config panel, but I just can't find how to press "X" when I'm on the game menu page :dizzy
Seems stupid, doesn't it... I can't even access the option menu!

I happen to have the same exact problem in Wipeout 2097...

Any help will be much appreciated!

EDIT:
After some searches, I found out that pressing F5 ingame allows you to "switch" between a standard pad (which is what the games initially assume your controller to be) and the negcon as you have configured it in ePSXe options. However it is unclear what this function does exactly. Moreover, while this works in WO 2097 (I still have to properly configure the negcon for this though, the behavior is totally out for now), it does not work in W3SE: the standard controller works (d-pad, start button, but not the other buttons, which are negcon specific), so I press F5 to swith to the negcon "config", but then no controller is detected anymore (no d-pad, no start button at all). At this point I can press F5 again to regain control of the d-pad and start button, but still no access to the menus since it requires my pressing the X button...
Any help / any ideas?

Regards,
Taurus

Asayyeah
18th June 2008, 08:44 PM
I dunno if that can help you but i never used epsx emulator since i am playing on original standart ( ps + negcon) but i got 2 of my Negcons which are not working with W3O and W3O SE and working well with other wipeouts
There's different type of white neggies maybe you got one similar to the 2 i own.
Otherwise PM Mano , he knows very well ( better than I) the epsX stuff.

taurus
18th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Hey, thanks for the info!
Is there any way to recognize these controllers?

- But still, my understanding of ePSXe is that that incompatibility can't be the reason (I think I could plug any 4 axes joystick and let ePSXe think it is a negcon by choosing a negcon as the type of controller and assigning the axes properly). I could be wrong though. -

Asayyeah
18th June 2008, 09:22 PM
At my knowledge , no way to differentiate them :(

taurus
19th June 2008, 12:23 PM
I got some time to experiment a bit further.

I got the negcon working with both WO1 and WO2097 on ePSXe.

As it is, it seems to me that through ePSXe, WO3 does not recognize ANY analog controller (negcon, dual analog, etc) : when you setup your controller to be one of these in ePSXe options, then press F5 ingame to activate it, the game says "controller removed"... :brickwall

So... Has anyone managed to get Wipeout 3 running with analog control through ePSXe (or any other emulator)?

EDIT: [Problem solved / sortof]
For anyone interested, here's a solution: use PSXeven with the Padgnneco plugin.

At first I just couldn't make the game work with PSXeven (freezes at the first "loading_" screen), but in fact mounting the image with Daemontools and running it from there just works and the negcon support is perfect (for 1 player at least).
Still haven't tried with the cd though, because my 5 years old notebook CD player struggles like hell.

No luck with ePSXe (or PCSX) though, even with that method. The game just doesn't see the analog controller as being present, although it is recognized by both emulators.

Regards, and sorry for the mess :)

meman887
30th July 2008, 11:00 PM
taurus try PSX emulator as Wipeout 3 SE works fine with my Saitek P2600, so it should also work with official Sony controllers too.

If that still doesn't work, try a different Playstation pad converter.

*Edit*

Try Pressing F5 in epsxe, then it should show a small white box with what looks like a small LED turning on and saying on, you can turn Analog off again by pressing the same button.

Also when I do turn Analog on, I manage to play Wip3out and Wipeout 3 SE with no problems.

DaWorFizm
20th July 2010, 06:28 AM
A few days ago (14th July) was the 10th anniversary of the release of WO3SE so I decided to have a look at it again just to see how it's getting on.
I'm happy to say that after a couple of hours trawling the web and a few MBs later I was able to get it up and running on ePSXe 1.7.0.
Since I last played it I've done a few upgrades to the old unit and I wondered if WO3SE would be a bit too dated to give me that nostalgia hit I was looking for, needless to say I was not disappointed!

Running in 1920x1200 with hi-res models/textures and a bump-mapping filter on a 24" widescreen it's hard to believe this game is 10 years old. :cake

Here's a few screens of what I like to refer to as WO3SEHD. :clap

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_001.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_003.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_004.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_005.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_006.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_007.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_010.jpg

http://dwf.homeip.net/files/Wipeout/PSOGL2_011.jpg

Sausehuhn
3rd March 2011, 02:43 PM
I’m currently trying to run WO3:SE on my Mac, but it won’t work. I tried ePSXe using Wine and Winebottler (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/), but with no success.
Surprisingly there’s a PCSX port for OSX called "PCSX Reloaded" which is still getting new updates and stuff. But I’m having no luck here, either.

WO2097 works with no problems rendered at 2560x1440 pixels. Searching the web showed that I’m not the only one having troubles with the game, but there’s not much information about how to fix it or how to evetually run it with another emulator.

Any ideas?

Rotational_aspect
17th March 2011, 02:29 PM
A bit of a cop out answer but why not create a small Windows partition on your Mac (that is if you have an Intel based CPU) and dual boot? If not perhaps try making a Linux USB stick and run from there.

Sausehuhn
17th March 2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, I’m thinking of that right now, too. Not the perfect solution, but better than nothing obviously :|

Rotational_aspect
17th March 2011, 05:32 PM
If you're worried about Windows eating your Mac alive you may want to try out Tiny XP- although its not strictly Gates Approved (cough.....illegal hack....cough) its very small and is mega quick.