PDA

View Full Version : ffwhooa

Im_too_nice_at_this
6th March 2006, 08:29 PM
Ive been the fastest since wipeout XL n got damn of course im the nicest at Wipeout Pure too.. matter fact.. Im too nice! everyone needs to step their line AND speed/passing/lead. you're all "slow" yahurd? aayyyyeeee!

I never thought of a wipeout forum this is ill. nice to meet all of fellow pilots.

Sausehuhn
6th March 2006, 08:43 PM
welcome to the zone ;)

I'm sure you're not the fastest. Wanna have a proof? Take this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads/talons_reach_phantom_tt.mpg) :D

Rapier Racer
6th March 2006, 09:22 PM
I know it's from a different board but um..

'Opening with a comment to the effect of "I AM THE BEST PILOT EVER!!" will mean I'll delete your post, your account and I'll add your IP address to the blocking list. Simple as that - one strike and you out.'

Do apologise if that's not your angle but you sound a little full of yourself eh?

Perhaps you can back it up with some times on the tables :sonar

DjManiac21
6th March 2006, 11:38 PM
Ive been the fastest since wipeout XL n got damn of course im the nicest at Wipeout Pure too.. matter fact.. Im too nice! everyone needs to step their line AND speed/passing/lead. you're all "slow" yahurd?

Hey bro! I just think you are VERY competitive, but watch out because there are some serious masters around here that can make you swallow your words in an instant :P And anyway, it´s better if you prove yourself first right? I mean, then we can all know you are truly the best :D Not meant to be ironic BTW :)
Try beating the Pure records here: http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/index.php
You will have a lot of fun for sure playing against those ghosts :) It´s great!!!
Have a good time and welcome!!!!!

Lance
7th March 2006, 12:07 AM
Im_too_nice_at_this: while it may be possible that in the online or offline communities you are used to, your opening remarks are simply thought of as being a challenge to competition, on this board they are thought of as childish, self-centred, and uncivilised. please apologise to the members of these forums.

please read the guidelines:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1290

btw, your understanding and use of the English language word ''nice'' is not correct.

JABBERJAW
7th March 2006, 12:26 AM
After watching that race, it really makes you marvel at how arnaud got a 1:14.6 and how he is the least arrogant person on this site

Task
7th March 2006, 02:29 AM
You know Al, I think you're on to something there!

There's definitely room for a Theory Of Piloting here:
S(p) = Skill of pilot
A(p) = Arrogance of pilot
For any given value of p, S(p) is inversely proportional to A(p).

Now all we need is a proof...

By induction, we look at a base case:
A("Arnaud") = 0 (or close to, anyway)
S("Arnaud") = ridiculously large
So it holds for our base case. So now we just need to prove some random case in the middle of the scale and the one right after it... Hmm, I've got problems there. Well, you can tell I didn't major in Math, perhaps someone else here did? 8 )

Although, if you were going to turn this into a formal proof, you might want to try and disprove that there's a case where this inverse relationship doesn't hold. That might be easier. So if we could find just a single braggart who actually had the skills they proclaim, the theory wouldn't hold. There's no way we're going to find that, so it looks like we're good! QED!

Nice theory Al!
8 D

Lance
7th March 2006, 02:45 AM
^pictures in his head something possibly a bit more complex: a seesaw, with attitude on one side and skill on the other, but with both able to slide in toward the center while varying in weight. either end touching ground = 0, either end at maximum altitude = 1^

^wonders how that would be represented as a formula.^

Lion
7th March 2006, 02:48 AM
there's six variables represented in that lance,
we know arrogance and skill, what are the other four?

Lance
7th March 2006, 03:09 AM
hm.... mass, type, and intensity for each of the two attributes? nah, too complicated.

Adnan
7th March 2006, 07:59 AM
Ive been the fastest since wipeout XL n got damn of course im the nicest at Wipeout Pure too.. matter fact.. Im too nice! everyone needs to step their line AND speed/passing/lead. you're all "slow" yahurd? aayyyyeeee!

I never thought of a wipeout forum this is ill. nice to meet all of fellow pilots.
Are you from Texas?

lunar
7th March 2006, 08:22 AM
It`s a good point that arrogance blinds you from the mechanics of what you are trying to achieve and therefore impairs performance: and it`s true that the best performers in a field are often the most humble. People might say "what about Schumacher?" I`d say he`s not arrogant in this sense, he`s just realistic. He has a fantastic understanding of his sport and how to succeed at it, and he loves it.

To take a different approach to Task`s mathematical one, which tbh I don`t fully understand, the concept of gumption (http://www.warfactory.co.uk/musings/zen.php) from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is quite helpful. An arrogant person is too focussed on enjoying some sort of "kudos", and does not really care about the task in hand, so he will never actually be very succesful at the task. He lacks gumption.

It must be confusing going through life believing you`re da bomb at everything, and never winning, or maybe you just move on to the next thing and pretend you`re too nice at that for a while until reality smacks you in the face again.

eLhabib
7th March 2006, 08:55 AM
In the real world, the Arrogance/Skill theory doesn't work, just look at Valentino Rossi...

In wipEout however, I have the perfect example for the lower end: Clan KUA :D (those who have been on Kai playing purE for a longer time now should be familiar with this 'clan' ;))

Lance
7th March 2006, 09:00 AM
...too nice at that..

lol. :)
excellent usage of source material as example

lunar
7th March 2006, 09:10 AM
Yes, El, it`s difficult to reconcile the theory at the top end of performers in some sports. Let`s just be thankful that some winners are nice guys too!

KUA ("Kickin Ur Ass" for those who don`t know) have been a bit hard to find lately, though to be fair it`s partly just an unfortunate name and many of them, like Moe, are good guys. But the name is a great example that "saying doesn`t make it so."

DjManiac21
7th March 2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah, i kinda got lost in the first theory :D

JABBERJAW
7th March 2006, 04:52 PM
Did you guys who play on kai beat the crap out of kua? Maybe that is why they are missing. If not, send arnaud over there for a few races :)

lunar
7th March 2006, 05:11 PM
You could put it that way, yes, but it was always friendly. Thankfully it`s always been really friendly on Kai, with very little serious egomania. I don`t think anyone can afford to be a big-head there, because you`re quite likely to have to prove it right there and then and quite possibly going to get shot down. All the best kai-pilots so far have come from Wipeoutzone, but there are also some good guys on at the moment who aren`t members here as far as I know. :)

Tomahawk
7th March 2006, 05:48 PM
There's definitely room for a Theory Of Piloting here:
S(p) = Skill of pilot
A(p) = Arrogance of pilot
For any given value of p, S(p) is inversely proportional to A(p).

Now all we need is a proof...

By induction, we look at a base case:
A("Arnaud") = 0 (or close to, anyway)
S("Arnaud") = ridiculously large
So it holds for our base case. So now we just need to prove some random case in the middle of the scale and the one right after it... Hmm, I've got problems there. Well, you can tell I didn't major in Math, perhaps someone else here did? 8 )

Although, if you were going to turn this into a formal proof, you might want to try and disprove that there's a case where this inverse relationship doesn't hold. That might be easier. So if we could find just a single braggart who actually had the skills they proclaim, the theory wouldn't hold. There's no way we're going to find that, so it looks like we're good! QED!

Interesting theory you've made up there, Task. I did maths as one of my two main subjects when I did my general qualification for university entrance and I must say this theory might just work. Maybe we should add a little bit of probability calculus to it, just to make sure we're really taking everything into account... ;)

I'd just say that the people who really kick ass at what they're doing (e.g. Arnaud - WipeOut) just don't need to be arrogant. They know that they could smoke everybody else anytime if they wanted to and this knowledge usually is enough for them. Or they just don't have the attitude to be arrogant. People who run around shouting "I'm the best! You are nothing but sh*t!" normally need to do this to satisfy their own ego.

Asayyeah
7th March 2006, 08:18 PM
Huh !! Who is this Arnaud you are talking about ? :robot

Lion
7th March 2006, 09:42 PM
in his day, mohammed ali was the greatest, and made damn sure that everyone heard about it.. so he kinda flies in the face of this theory as a general rule.
it might still be perfectly applicable to W'O" pilots however

Task
7th March 2006, 11:05 PM
Yes, that's what I was assuming, only applied to WO pilots.

It's one of those very few instances of things where skill is directly quantifiable, lowest time == highest skill.